Doing the best I can: Fatherhood in the innercity

Options

Comments

• emrulz
    emrulz Members Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Like you said, in your world. In my world, in my circle of 10-12 good friends, only one dude has any kind of relationship with his father. Just one.

You are fortunate, in that regard.
  • I_Am
    I_Am Members Posts: 56
    Options
    emrulz wrote: »
    Like you said, in your world. In my world, in my circle of 10-12 good friends, only one dude has any kind of relationship with his father. Just one.

You are fortunate, in that regard.

Wow. That's sad.
    On the flip side though your friends are more likely to turn out to be good parents.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I_Am wrote: »
    You are a link in a chain of great fathers...odds are your children will continue that chain. That's the way it should be, but you have to realize that in 2013, that chain is the exception.

Its not the exception in my world. Most people I know have good relationships with their dad weather they're married to their mother or not. Most of my friends are good fathers. As a matter of fact off top I can name one dead beat ass father with multiple kids..........and that's my lil brother!!!

What's his excuse?

lol, you really on your troll game. The probability of this being true is so low unless your brother is mentally ? . Your dad, granddad, great granddad, uncles on both sides, damn near the whole generation of males in your family are great fathers, yet, your brother has multiple kids and ain't ? to any of them? lol, troll on.
  • emrulz
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    lol, you really on your troll game.

If he is trolling, then you are doing what he'd like you to do. I'll respond to the words but it doesn't affect my message, which is ? is ? unless individuals change their ways of being which results in the collective changing their ways of being.
  • emrulz
    Options
    I'm always all in on discussions that can possibly, even if only in the most minute ways, influence family and spousal relationships.
  • I_Am
    Options
    Trolling must mean someone who has a different set of beliefs or ideas here.

There are people that come from good homes that decide to do hard drugs, going gangs or become dead beat dads.

No trolling here.
  • Hyde Parke
    Options
    lol, you really on your troll game.

If he is trolling, then you are doing what he'd like you to do. I'll respond to the words but it doesn't affect my message, which is ? is ? unless individuals change their ways of being which results in the collective changing their ways of being.

I'm calling it what it is. Doesn't change my original inquiry, nor my point of view, or influence me in any way other than to point out fallacies when I see them.

on the other point, I agree. Individuals do need to change, they must come into on that understanding on their own accord. The truth is there, and can be seen if sought out. If one is really, really serious about changing they will seek understanding, not by goading, inciting, or being purposely and willfully ignorant.
  • emrulz
    Options
    Yes, you but the more common issue can't get dismissed just because you can point to a handful of exceptions
  • emrulz
    Options
    Yes, but the more common issue can't get dismissed just because you can point to a handful of exceptions

Fixed
  • Hyde Parke
    Options
    Trolling must mean someone who has a different set of beliefs or ideas here.

There are people that come from good homes that decide to do hard drugs, going gangs or become dead beat dads.

No trolling here.

this is the same ether from years back, and much hasn't changed. nothing wrong with having beliefs or ideas, yours has a history of being fixed, and intentionally polarizing along with gross stereotypes. not much has changed. Doubt you are here to gain any insight, just focusing on the problem.

Im out for now, i'll check this thread later when I get back in.
  • emrulz
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    while you're over there like oh no, social conditioning isn't real, look at me, i'm magical, i can overcome institutionalized racism and the systematic breakdown of the black family over hundreds of years

Thank you. This is a collective problem that must be solved by individuals working on their own homes, in concert with other homes doing the same.

"They" will never willingly allow equal footing, it must be taken. But the first thing that must get taken back, is our own home.
  • I_Am
    Options
    So I'm saying that there are millions of great black fathers out there, possibly more than there are dead beats, but I'm the troll?

? me right.

When did the low life's become the norm and everyone else the exception to the rule........by our own standards at that?

I firmly believe that there are far more good African American dads then there are bad ones!
    Call it trolling if you want to.
  • I_Am
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    is there anything in that book talking about auction blocks,slave selling, separation of families? stuff like this?
    slave-auction.png

not discrediting the book, but if real facts like this are not included, its somewhat of a disservice to the reader.

You mean to tell me this is why you wouldn't be a father to your child today?

You: look son, 100s of years ago ? was slaves therefore I can't be a father to you.

while you're over there like oh no, social conditioning isn't real, look at me, i'm magical, i can overcome institutionalized racism and the systematic breakdown of the black family over hundreds of years

why don't i give you a cookie for being so strong

I wouldn't accept a cookie for being normal.

Now those ? that's just now getting over racism and slavery.......maybe you can coerce them with your cookies into being a good father.
  • emrulz
    Options
    So I'm saying that there are millions of great black fathers out there, possibly more than there are dead beats, but I'm the troll?

Even if you are right, the fact that you have to use the word possibly, is enough to make it a crippling problem.

We have to think about whether or not there are more good dads than bad? We have to think about how many dads are actually with their families, compared to how many aren't?

That's a major problem in itself, don't you think?
  • I_Am
    Options

Even if you are right, the fact that you have to use the word possibly, is enough to make it a crippling problem.

We have to think about whether or not there are more good dads than bad? We have to think about how many dads are actually with their families, compared to how many aren't?

At the end I said I firmly believe there are more good black fathers than bad.
  • emrulz
    Options
    At the end I said I firmly believe there are more good black fathers than bad.
    OK but that has nothing to do with what I said and the questions I asked.
  • I_Am
    Options

No I don't think that's a "crippling" problem.

Do you believe all white fathers are awesome dads?

If I were to listen to the media (talk shows, reality shows etc) all white people had a ? father who abandon them or abuse them. That's all white people talk about on TV these days.
  • emrulz
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, we ALL need to do better, regardless of race. But I'm only talking about brown skinned people in this thread.

One, since I'm not white, I won't even try to pretend to understand white mentality, white experiences, etc. Two, I'm only really worried about our plight
  • I_Am
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, we ALL need to do better, regardless of race. But I'm only talking about brown skinned people in this thread.

One, since I'm not white, I won't even try to pretend to understand white mentality, white experiences, etc. Two, I'm only really worried about our plight

Is there really an "our plight"?
    Doesn't seem like it.

Based off what you can tell do you think Trayvon Martin had a good dad?
  • emrulz
    Options
    Doesn't seem like it.

Really dude? Even if you are fortunate enough to not live or grow up in the conditions, most of us do and did...did you really just type that?
  • I_Am
    Options
    Doesn't seem like it.

Really dude? Even if you are fortunate enough to not live or grow up in the conditions, most of us do and did...did you really just type that?
    Doesn't seem like it.

So what is it? What's our plight?
  • emrulz
    Options
    Our plight is: The systematic destruction of the brown skinned man in America

I tried to look past the troll accusations, but I'm sorry, saying it seems like there is no plight, can only be taken as trolling.

It was fun while it lasted, dude.
  • I_Am
    Options
    That a major problem within our culture. No one isn't suppose to have a difference of opinion.

Reminds me of what people started to say about Bill Cosby when he started speaking the truth a few years back.

We don't wanna be stereotyped and yet we don't want to think different either. Before I'm black I'm an individual. I was aware of that before I was aware of my race.

Oh well.
    Everyone can't go.
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fam u can't be that oblivious to not see there is long-standing very active agenda to keep black men behind the rest of the world..I think I have a very liberal view on race but it's also realistic and there is enough evidence from history all the way up to present day that shows the conscious, dominant, positive black male is a threat and treated as such..the system is designed to target our babies more than adults..that's why the young grow up to repeat the same mistakes made their fathers..

This ? was no accident or ignorance on the black man's behalf...this ? was designed to be this way..just bcuz you "think" you're above doesn't mean you have escaped the traps that were laid before you..

You seem lost and out of touch bruh..get it together fam
  • I_Am
    Options
    .the system is designed to target our babies more than adults

How does this system work?

If I evade this system is it really me that's lost?
    If the system is so clear and yet people still fall for the system them what does that say about the people?

You what's ? up? When Black people don't fall for this so called system other black people label them as sellouts, Uncle Toms, ? etc etc.

I find it highly ignorant to be aware of a system that's design to lock you up but still decide to do illegal ? . That baffles the ? out of me.
    Like moths to a flame I guess.