lonestarg Members Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @theHonorable where is your honor?

I dont like how Trill and Backpack Rap is used in the same statement

Something jus aint right
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    before you lay down any raps get a baseball bat and bust up da studio!
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL the term back pack rap is so hilarious because nobody in the underground ever called themselves that

Ppl who wore back packs in the 90's wore them for different reasons, some ppl went to school and others had drugs, guns,knives, and liquor in those back packs,or both.Some ? was homeless living out those back packs

if you mean traditional hip hop then the truth is it was never the money maker it was the essence and poppy catchy rap always sold, it was just more talent in mainstream rap, but it was understood that talent was the backbone of hip hop/rap
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar and B.O.B are the last offical backpack rappers. thank ? .
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    LOL the term back pack rap is so hilarious because nobody in the underground ever called themselves that

Ppl who wore back packs in the 90's wore them for different reasons, some ppl went to school and others had drugs, guns,knives, and liquor in those back packs,or both.Some ? was homeless living out those back packs

if you mean traditional hip hop then the truth is it was never the money maker it was the essence and poppy catchy rap always sold, it was just more talent in mainstream rap, but it was understood that talent was the backbone of hip hop/rap

Like I hear you but half way through this post I fell asleep.
  • thehonorable
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »

Dont associate Kendrick with that Backpack Rap ? and Ill see B.O.B at Kmart soon enough.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listened to backpack rap in the 90s. It was basically, Boot Camp Click, Wu-Tang and D.I.T.C. Each of those crews had members that were popping out solo albums. Truth be told the albums weren't really polished but it had that gritty sound that was kinda the opposite of what Death Row and Bad Boy were doing at the time.

The last real "backpack" movement was Rawkus Records in the late 90s. Mos Def and Talib Kweli were the bigger, more well known artists on Rawus but if you do a google search, there were alot more groups on Rawkus that, for whatever reeason, never released full length albums.

But Rawkus did release some classic compilations like Soundbombing 1, 2 and 3 and the Lyricist Lounge albums.
  • thehonorable
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I listened to backpack rap in the 90s. It was basically, Boot Camp Click, Wu-Tang and D.I.T.C. Each of those crews had members that were popping out solo albums. Truth be told the albums weren't really polished but it had that gritty sound that was kinda the opposite of what Death Row and Bad Boy were doing at the time.

The last real "backpack" movement was Rawkus Records in the late 90s. Mos Def and Talib Kweli were the bigger, more well known artists on Rawus but if you do a google search, there were alot more groups on Rawkus that, for whatever reeason, never released full length albums.

But Rawkus did release some classic compilations like Soundbombing 1, 2 and 3 and the Lyricist Lounge albums.

Everyone of those groups outside of mos def and Talib out here serving up mixtapes on the L train and I am putting an end to it today.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know because there are so many threads about backpack rappers on here. Thats why all the posts about sean price, kweli, etc. do numbers and no one on the IC talks about ? like j.cole who just went gold in a month. Y'all ? are more obsessed with backpack rap than the actual fans are. That ? rarely gets talked about on here
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »

Lmao @ a dude who has a club banger on the radio called "we still in this ? " and a rapper who made songs like "money trees" and "m.a.a.d city" being backpack rappers. You ? hate really clouds your judgement, ? idiots
  • thehonorable
    Options
    I feel like this thread made someone squeeze they kufi in anger.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jcole wale and a lot of other cats right now are basically back rap to IMO.

But yeah rappers over 40 need to quit if they ain't seeing no bread already.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Can somebody please define what "back pack rap" is without a proper meaning this thread makes no sense.

Nas and wu-tang basically made gangsta/crime music the same goes for boot camp . Mos def,common and talib's subject matter are vastly different compared to them. B.O.B is a pop-artist in the same school that black eyed peas comes from and kendrick sounds more like nas.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no proper meaning to backpack rap because it doesn't exist
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    K Mart tho? Lol them ? is getting closed down nationwide.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is ? stupid.