Deathrow vs Bad Boy

Options

Comments

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Jamaica wrote: »
    Deathrow had a deeper and overall made more timeless Bad Boy at least is still somewhat relevant today.

Bad Boy isn't that relevant, like I said on the last post they might as well rename the label Diddy Records because he puts out more ? then his artists.

Death Row is somewhat relevant thru Aftermath Records and Snoop Dogg/Lion
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    This comparisons between the two are harder than we think.
    I think on a hip hop level deathrow more influenced people and the offsprings of deathrow artist. 50, Em, Game,

Badboy was more we rounded with total, faith, 112. But hip hop it was just big, lox, mase, BR. Not enough to fucc with DR.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    I can come to grips with Badboy being better in terms of R&b cause you had Faith and 112 even tho tha Row had the KC and JoJo afiliation as well as Danny boy Jewel and Nate......But like people already said Pac ran 96. Dogg pound was arguably the most anticipated album of 95( even tho ready to die rose outta nowhere) before that Snoop was running the rap game had south ? like so so def's biggest rap acts Kris Kross and tha Brat and them doin that kinda style dressin the way snoop dressed. Even Bone from the mid west had that westcoast influence not so much in delivery but the way they dressed and what they rapped about. ? had a huge infuence man. And Lyric for Lyric bar for bar amd beat for beat, Lady of Rage's debut was alot better than Lil Kims ? even if it wassnt commercially from a hip hop stand point it was a mis match in the rhyming department. Nobody can convice me Badboy had the Rap game locked up over Death Row BEFORE Dre left and Pac died.Asgood aa Biggie was, Pac came out of jail and dropped just as much fire as Big was droppin so they should be a wash at best. Dont try to sit here and tell me Mase was better than Snoop AND Dre AND Dogg pound.

and I aint even find out who Black Rob was until Big said

"Black Rob joined the mob, It aint no replacing him"
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    but suge was on that ? though, could've easily reached legendary iconic record label status if it weren't for ego
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    My opinion aint trollin bruh.I've consistently said them albums are wacc and it's laughable to think biggie isn't a better mc and had 2 albums better than everybody on death row roster.Lemme guess daz,snoop,rage,pac and dr dre compare to big right?

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Nobody said they were better than Big's albums. The only ones to make that case is ? , The Chronic, and All Eyez On Me. But Big was Bad Boys entire meal ticket while Deathrow kept filling the airwaves with hits. There is no comparison. Deathrow and its legacy ? all over Bad Boy. Big was the only reason that company stayed afloat .

This couldn't be further form the truth. Bad Boy in 1997 alone had a plethora of hits. All of them from the Rap artists on the label. "Hypnotize", "Mo Money, Mo Problems", "Been Around The World", "It's All About the Benjamins", and "I'll Be Missin' You" all peaked in the Top 3 of the Billboard 100 in 1997. All of those either featured Biggie or were about Biggie, but "Can't Hold Me Down" was a #1 hit, Mase's "Feel So Good" peaked at #5 and "What You Want" peaked at #6.

Bad Boy's legacy is arguably greater than Death Row's for the fact that it transcends Hip Hop. Bad Boy at one point was Urban music. How many R&B artists and even Pop stars like Mariah had a Bad Boy remix? Jay Z and LL both had The Hitmen (Bad Boy's in house producers) to helm their albums in '97.

After Biggie died, Puff was going 7X platinum and Mase was 3X platinum. Shyne and Black Rob both had platinum albums in 2000.

People are seriously underrating and downplaying Bad Boy's dominance, legacy, and significance to Hip Hop (not only Hip Hop, but music period).

Yea after Suge was incarcerated, pac was murdered, and the company went to ? . All them ? you named were one album wonders. During Deathrow's glory days, bad boy wasn't holding a candle to Deathrow.

As for the one album wonder thing:

Dre dropped one album on Death Row and bounced to start Aftermath

Dogg Pound only had one successful album on Death Row

Pac and Snoop dropped about the same amount of albums on Death Row as Mase dropped on Bad Boy

Don't use logic dun.Add the fact Bad boy is Still in business and death row been defunct for years and filed for bankruptcy while bad boy has clocked 400-500 mil and bad boy has sold more total records shows whose the better label

Bad boy had r&b and hip hop sewed.Only these lame ass always biased to the west coast dickriders and pac groupies are tryin to make cases.Facts say otherwise
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    A wild Bilfiger appears
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    My opinion aint trollin bruh.I've consistently said them albums are wacc and it's laughable to think biggie isn't a better mc and had 2 albums better than everybody on death row roster.Lemme guess daz,snoop,rage,pac and dr dre compare to big right?

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Nobody said they were better than Big's albums. The only ones to make that case is ? , The Chronic, and All Eyez On Me. But Big was Bad Boys entire meal ticket while Deathrow kept filling the airwaves with hits. There is no comparison. Deathrow and its legacy ? all over Bad Boy. Big was the only reason that company stayed afloat .

This couldn't be further form the truth. Bad Boy in 1997 alone had a plethora of hits. All of them from the Rap artists on the label. "Hypnotize", "Mo Money, Mo Problems", "Been Around The World", "It's All About the Benjamins", and "I'll Be Missin' You" all peaked in the Top 3 of the Billboard 100 in 1997. All of those either featured Biggie or were about Biggie, but "Can't Hold Me Down" was a #1 hit, Mase's "Feel So Good" peaked at #5 and "What You Want" peaked at #6.

Bad Boy's legacy is arguably greater than Death Row's for the fact that it transcends Hip Hop. Bad Boy at one point was Urban music. How many R&B artists and even Pop stars like Mariah had a Bad Boy remix? Jay Z and LL both had The Hitmen (Bad Boy's in house producers) to helm their albums in '97.

After Biggie died, Puff was going 7X platinum and Mase was 3X platinum. Shyne and Black Rob both had platinum albums in 2000.

People are seriously underrating and downplaying Bad Boy's dominance, legacy, and significance to Hip Hop (not only Hip Hop, but music period).

Yea after Suge was incarcerated, pac was murdered, and the company went to ? . All them ? you named were one album wonders. During Deathrow's glory days, bad boy wasn't holding a candle to Deathrow.

I agree that Death Row ran it from '92-'94. Bad Boy didn't give them any real competition until '95 when Ready To Die really started catching on, but didn't really dominate until 1997.

Pac and Snoop dropped about the same amount of albums on Death Row as Mase dropped on Bad Boy

Really 92-94? Try 92-96

Pac was doing his thing in 96 Bigge wasn't doing ? in 96 as of dropping an album.

Pac was the biggest name in Hip Hop in 96.
    Dropping All Eyez On Me and 7Day Theroy in that year and those albums are classic and arguably
    Top 100 albums in Hip Hop.
    Bad Boys legacy was 95% Biggie
    no other rapper on bad boy is still around.

They either became pastors
    Converted to Islam
    Or Disappeared

Dre and Snoop still around
    Pacs name is still being brought up
    Daz just dropped an album
    Kurupt still around
    Nate passed but was still making dope hooks before he died.

Other then Biggie you can't compare no one on Bad Boy to anyone Deathrow.

Having Snoop/Dre/and Pac on one label is like having

Magic,Jordan,and Drexler on one team.

Even without those 3 you have Nate,Daz,Kurupt,Michelle and Danny Boy.

Deathrow >>> BadBoy

The reason I put '92-'94 is because it was because in '95 Bad Boy gave Death Row some heavy competition. There was the "Flava In Ya Ear Remix", Total's "Can't You See" featuring Biggie, "Juicy" was still in heavy rotation, "One More Chance Remix", "Big Poppa" and it's remixes. There was also Bad Boy's extended family in Junior Mafia who had "Player's Anthem" in rotation at the time as well.

Now '96 belonged to Death Row and that's the last year they really did anything significant.

LOL Dr. Dre and Snoop aren't still around because of Death Row though. Dr. Dre was the nucleus of Death Row and the proof of that is Aftermath. Add to the fact that Dre already had a legacy with NWA prior to Death Row. Snoop's greatest success with was Dr. Dre. When Dre left, Snoop Dogg was never the same. Snoop bounced after album #2 and went to No Limit where he released three consecutive platinum albums. Neither Snoop or Dre needed Death Row. Dre's Chronic 2001 shows you how much they needed a Death Row records. Everybody that was somebody on that label was on that album and it dropped on Aftermath, not Death Row.

People act like Death Row made Pac. Pac was established before Death Row. He had classic songs, hit records, platinum albums, and a classic album before singing to Death Row. He was also in movies.

Nobody on Death Row is still around. They either died while still signed (Pac) or they left.

LOL @ Nate Dogg, Michel'le, Danny Boy, and Dogg Pound. Nate Dogg never released an album on Death Row. Michel'le biggest records came prior to Death Row. Only the Dogg Pound had more success on Death Row than before or after.
  • georgia boi
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    south4life wrote: »
    Deathrow had a deeper and overall made more timeless Bad Boy at least is still somewhat relevant today.

Bad Boy isn't that relevant, like I said on the last post they might as well rename the label Diddy Records because he puts out more ? then his artists.

Death Row has nothing to do with Aftermath. That's a huge reach to claim that Death Row has any semblance of relevance. Eminem, 50 Cent, The Firm, Kendrick Lamar, The Game, nor Truth Hurts had any ties to Death Row. In fact, Death Row distanced itself from what Dre was building through the disses that Pac was releasing.

Even if Bad Boy was never relevant again, what has Death Row done post '97 that was relevant?
  • georgia boi
    Options
    Bad Boy Records

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

I agree that Death Row ran it from '92-'94. Bad Boy didn't give them any real competition until '95 when Ready To Die really started catching on, but didn't really dominate until 1997.

Dogg pound are the only argument you have as one album wonders. Them bad boy ? disappeared off the map when they left the label.

So Dr. Dre dropped more than one album on Death Row?

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    52-10

Good to see the Reason is back on top of things.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These Groupies got splattered against the wall wit facts.When you have More classic albums,better talent,goin plat with hip hop and Rnb acts,sold more records,and made more dough and are still in business in 2013 you've clearly been the better label.

Bad Boy>>>>>>>Death Row

#factsonly
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Deathrow Records

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Dogg pound are the only argument you have as one album wonders. Them bad boy ? disappeared off the map when they left the label.

Dre ain't a rapper, he's a producer. He produced everything that came out of Deathrow from 1991 to 1996.
  • georgia boi
    Options
    Bad Boy Records

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Dre ain't a rapper, he's a producer. He produced everything that came out of Deathrow from 1991 to 1996.

But that still doesn't change the fact that he released only one solo album on the label.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow no doubt.
  • MR Josh
    MR Josh Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    everybody talking about the pac era,deathrow actually changed the game and culture with THE CHRONIC and ? not all eyes on me....and for dude saying Big didnt do anything 96,big had his own artist going platinum 96(? ) he had a smash single with his own gruop(get money remix)...what badboy did 97/98 bettered what deathrow did 96,check the albums both companies dropped between 96 and 98.we talking all eyez on me,the 7th day theory and Tha dogg father going against life after death,no way out and harlem world..

overall i give the edge to deathrow off the strength of the chronic and ? ..they laid the blueprint with those albums.even though i believe badboy was more balance as a company
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Just cause badboy still exists
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    These Groupies got splattered against the wall wit facts.When you have More classic albums,better talent,goin plat with hip hop and Rnb acts,sold more records,and made more dough and are still in business in 2013 you've clearly been the better label.

Bad Boy>>>>>>>Death Row

#factsonly

Bad Boy has more classics than deathrow???

HELL NO
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    south4life wrote: »

Death Row has nothing to do with Aftermath. That's a huge reach to claim that Death Row has any semblance of relevance. Eminem, 50 Cent, The Firm, Kendrick Lamar, The Game, nor Truth Hurts had any ties to Death Row. In fact, Death Row distanced itself from what Dre was building through the disses that Pac was releasing.

Even if Bad Boy was never relevant again, what has Death Row done post '97 that was relevant?

The bolded is one of the reasons the people that voted for Bad boy is gettin this thing all wrong. You have to throw 97 out because by then Dre left tha row, Snoop bounced, Pac died and i think Dogpound was breakin up. I see ? in here talbout what has Death Row done since then while Badboy is still around. You have to start at 93 and cut it off at the end of 96 When both were relevant at the same time for this comparison. If ? use from 97 to now thats just tryna win by forfeit because there was no deathrow by then,they crumbled . If you compare them when they both had full rosters at the same time The Row was killin on Bad Boy.

• DR. JEK
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Weazel wrote: »
    Who's your favourite?
    Wich label had the best roster?
    Why?

It's on you

This was the original thread premise

So actually by counting from 97 on you're derailing the thread because who had the deepest roster no longer can apply with Death Rows big four (dre,snoop,pac,dpg)all either dead or broke away from the label
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    You guys are going off premise here.

The topic doesn't care what Bad Boy did after '96.

We are talking about in both of their primes.

The Row easily wins and it's not about being a groupie or Pac dickrider.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Bad Boy Records

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Nonsense. Dre didn't produce everything on Deathrow from 91-96. I know he didn't produce All Eyes on Me or Mackevelli. I don't think he produced the Dogg Pound album either but I'm not sure because honestly I've never heard it.

DEathrow may have been the stronger label from the very end of 92 when "Nuttin but a G thing" came out. The Chronic LP came out in the early part of 93. But I don't even thing Bad Boy existed then. I don't think Bad Boy really existed until 94 when "Flavor In Your Ear" and Juicy" were released. Biggie's album came out in late 94, and in mid 95 you had "Can't You See" by Total feat Big, "Player's Anthem" by Junior Mafia feat Big and the "Once More Chance" (Remix) and the Flavor in Your Ear (Remix) that got rereleased with everybody on it. Bad Boy owned the summer of 95 and that's undisputable. I think Dr Dre had a few songs out at the time like "Keep Their Heads Ringin" and "Natural Born Killers" with Ice Cube.

There's no question that Pac stirred up the ? when he got out of jail and dropped a double LP and later released "Hit Em Up". But if we're talking sales, I don't think there's any comparison

Ready to Die - 4 million
    Juicy (single) - Gold
    Big Poppa (single) platinum
    One More Chance (Remix single) - Platinum
    Funk Da World - Gold
    Can't Nobody Hold Me Down (single) - 2X platinum
    Life After Death - Diamond
    No Way Out - 7 million
    Total - Platinum
    112 - 2 million
    Harlem World - 4 million
    Feels So Good (single) -platinum
    Money Power Respect (song) - gold
    Money Power Respect (album) - platinum
    Forever - Platinum
    Faith - 1.5 million
    Double Up - Platinum
    Keep the Faith 1 million
    Born Again - 2 million
    Faithfully - Platinum
    Life Story - Platinum
    Shyne - Platinum
    Dream - Platinum
    Part III - Platinum
    We invented the Remix - 2 million
    Bad Boy Soundtrack - platinum

And it keeps going. To be honest, Bad Boys best years were from 94-98 whereas Death Row's best years were 92-96 but Bad Boy kept it moving without Big and have released legitimate product since the mid 90s (Danity Kane has two platinum LPs on Bad Boy) Death Row released The Chronic 2000 which according to my research didn't go gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Records

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    True indeed , it was about the roster (from both labels)
    If folks wanna talk about 97/98/etc etc, it's fine with me
    Because even now, Bad Boy can't surpass Deathrow's roster

Who they gonna bring?, that wackass French Montana?, lmao
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Really, you guys think Death Row can assemble 3 MCs that could battle Big, Jadakiss and Ma$e circa 96/97?
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Really, you guys think Death Row can assemble 3 MCs that could battle Big, Jadakiss and Ma$e circa 96/97?

Kurupt
    Crooked I
    (90s) Snoop

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Weazel wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

Kurupt
    Crooked I
    (90s) Snoop

Who's Crooked I and why are you comparing him to artists that have gold singles?