Scarface Says "Hip Hop Is White Now," Blames Record Executives

Options

Comments

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »

So youre saying we had millionaires in the 50s and 60s like we do today like we do in jay,puffy,birdman, Dr dre,
    Wayne, snoop, camron,Outkast,etc. Aside from probably Berry Gordy, who the ? was wealthy back then?

We do have a lot more millionaires now, but while blacks have been amassing millions, non-blacks are amassing billions and trillions

Who cares what other races do blacks are fine as they are.

I disagree. Economic power is the foundation of any major successful modern society. We don't keep enough money in the community, thus we aren't very stable
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

So youre saying we had millionaires in the 50s and 60s like we do today like we do in jay,puffy,birdman, Dr dre,
    Wayne, snoop, camron,Outkast,etc. Aside from probably Berry Gordy, who the ? was wealthy back then?

We do have a lot more millionaires now, but while blacks have been amassing millions, non-blacks are amassing billions and trillions

Who cares what other races do blacks are fine as they are.

I disagree. Economic power is the foundation of any major successful modern society. We don't keep enough money in the community, thus we aren't very stable
    Co-sign and not to egotrip but check my posts in this thread.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because the 90s babies who are black think almost the same as white 90s babies. The Hood is phased out cause it didn't change with the times and technology. On top of rappers from the 03-09 time period that hated anything lyrical.
  • Wild Self
    Options
    Industry just needs balance, K.Dot, Cole, and ? boy Wale do numbers like the Ross', TIs, and Jeezys so ? coming back around. I'm just tired of hearing about maybachs, selling kilos, and blowing money fast to tell you the truth but thats just me.

-presses play on "The Listening"-

The new lyrical dudes are already doing numbers. Its just that the radio is pushing songs that no one buys. ? is deeper than rap.
  • Wild Self
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    Face kept it 100% IDK though sometimes I feel like even white ppl don't take most white rappers serious.There's something about hip hop/black culture that's hard to imitate unless you were really around it

Thank ? for that. Hip Hop is nearly 40 years old and we still have 95% of the artists that are black. ? can't be faked and white-washed like that. Almost every single white rapper outside of Eminem has flopped and is forgotten soon after. Rock n Roll was taken away from black folk when the artform was in its infancy, thus the reason why most blacks have no real connection to it. Hip Hop in every trend and reformation, always had black people setting the trends.
  • Wild Self
    Options
    People are saying they should blame the fans....Hell no.From 1998 till 2005 ? were dropping nothing but gangsta music.I swear there was no space for conscious or creative music.You listen to what you can get your hands on.The fans got brainwashed 4 real and the artist got pimped.

Those same people hated the socially conscious artists cause they didn't give in to that ? back then. Funny how those same gangsta artists are mad as ? that these 'soft' suburban black kids are running ? now. When Gangsta rap was running ? , black people were boxed in the worst in any era that I can remember.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    People are saying they should blame the fans....Hell no.From 1998 till 2005 ? were dropping nothing but gangsta music.I swear there was no space for conscious or creative music.You listen to what you can get your hands on.The fans got brainwashed 4 real and the artist got pimped.

Those same people hated the socially conscious artists cause they didn't give in to that ? back then. Funny how those same gangsta artists are mad as ? that these 'soft' suburban black kids are running ? now. When Gangsta rap was running ? , black people were boxed in the worst in any era that I can remember.

Are you serious? 

LOL @ gangsta artist are mad as ? . Far from it...you must be a product of the soft suburban crowd.
    Your post doesn't make any sense. You call it "gangsta" but the knowledgeable calls it "reality".

What made the music "gangsta" was spitting about the realities and harshness of their environment and trying to get out the negativity by any means necessary for something better, but at the same time not forgetting where they came from to give their music that edge. Those in the industry that saw reality as a cash cow exploited it for the worse and "killed" it from within.

Your views about "reality" music are wrong.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    one of the biggest face fans ever. bout to be in my thirties and I got to disagree. its a different generation so we gotta respect that the youngin gon put t hey own twist on things. Face need to step back and let these young boys cook. he starting to sound like krs one

You're a little too young to recall how the music began to decline. And you kind of had to be involved with the business to understand what Face is speaking of.

White owners sat down in the nineties and made very calculated decisions to overthrow hiphop because of it's revolutionary potential. They already had program director's at radio manipulating the airways and controlling what you heard to a great extent but it wasn't enough. So they bought up all black video channel outlets and destroyed how the music was also seen. Then they had the record label owners controlling who got signed, and what music got released. 3 steps, 3 plans, and these executions were all running parallel to one another. It was VERY calculated!! People are still trying to figure out what happened to HIPHOP and R&B.

They systematically dismantled how black music was seen and heard on major platforms.

It has little to NOTHING to do with the artists and the participation of the consumer!

They blocked the CULTURAL experience!!

My only issue with these theories is that it essentially paints the listener/fan as nothing but a mindless drone who has no choice over what music they like and are brainwashed into supporting ? . That's a very hard thing to prove. Like @Swifness! said, we the buyer have the ultimate choice in what we buy/support no matter how hard something is pushed on you. There's a reason not all artists who follow the current trend of whatever is going on don't succeed at doing it. Nobody forced artists to not follow in Public Enemy's footsteps and with the internet and you not really needing a label to get your music out there, it's even less of a reason you can blame some outside force for what fans CHOOSE to support

Semantics at this juncture!

My comments are based on a 20 year analysis and participation in the music business. Consumers are force fed their choices (options), and/or kept from them in most instances.

Therein lies the root of the problem.

It's not semantics to say nobody forced an artist to not make a certain type of music that's facts. Yes consumers have certain things attempted to be forced on them, but like I said not all of them work so clearly at some point the consumers make the choice on what is good to them or not regardless of what some outside force wants.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    one of the biggest face fans ever. bout to be in my thirties and I got to disagree. its a different generation so we gotta respect that the youngin gon put t hey own twist on things. Face need to step back and let these young boys cook. he starting to sound like krs one

You're a little too young to recall how the music began to decline. And you kind of had to be involved with the business to understand what Face is speaking of.

White owners sat down in the nineties and made very calculated decisions to overthrow hiphop because of it's revolutionary potential. They already had program director's at radio manipulating the airways and controlling what you heard to a great extent but it wasn't enough. So they bought up all black video channel outlets and destroyed how the music was also seen. Then they had the record label owners controlling who got signed, and what music got released. 3 steps, 3 plans, and these executions were all running parallel to one another. It was VERY calculated!! People are still trying to figure out what happened to HIPHOP and R&B.

They systematically dismantled how black music was seen and heard on major platforms.

It has little to NOTHING to do with the artists and the participation of the consumer!

They blocked the CULTURAL experience!!

My only issue with these theories is that it essentially paints the listener/fan as nothing but a mindless drone who has no choice over what music they like and are brainwashed into supporting ? . That's a very hard thing to prove. Like @Swifness! said, we the buyer have the ultimate choice in what we buy/support no matter how hard something is pushed on you. There's a reason not all artists who follow the current trend of whatever is going on don't succeed at doing it. Nobody forced artists to not follow in Public Enemy's footsteps and with the internet and you not really needing a label to get your music out there, it's even less of a reason you can blame some outside force for what fans CHOOSE to support

When the same trash is played over and over and over and over and over again(Viacom/Clear Channel) it's locked into the memory banks of these impressionable kids, therefore turning the consumer into a "mindless drone" as you say. These clowns who think rap is a quick fix out the hood and never really honed their craft with their boys being "yes men" telling them in their face "that ? 's hot you should go ahead and put that out" when it's really doo-doo grits.

You should know the ones that's in this culture for a quick money fix and the ones that are trying to expand the artform...while doing that reaping the benefits as well. It sounds like an oxymoron, but to simply put it..those who put effort into it and those who don't.

That's always existed in hip hop, even during the "Golden Age" that so many like to pretend as if nothing wack was ever produced in mass amounts...so like I said at some point regardless of how much pushing from a label, the fans still have the buying power. label execs not literally forcing people to buy this ? in stores or on Itunes..you know how many songs/album get released a year that don't do ? vs the 10 or 11 that blow up using the same "hit making formula"?
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are more casual rap fans in society than your die hard raw to the bone hip hop fans (can we agree?)

you "average hip hop listener" doesn't really go out and search for emcee's who aren't co-signed by some other known artist or at least getting pumped on the radio...

thats not so much the problem, the problem is when you have a group of people who control what is being played on the radio, etc...

and it's not all about radio, but thats a small medium that contributes to the problem. There isn't just one area you can point to and say look this reason is why the game is ? up.

but it's obvious that there are strings being pulled, hip hop was never politically correct but now it's forced to be, hip hop used to be the voice of the minority youth's but that demographic has been compromised because they want to be like everyone else.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Face speaks and people listen
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree wit dat non snitchin ? Face be on!
  • Wild Self
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »

Are you serious? 

LOL @ gangsta artist are mad as ? . Far from it...you must be a product of the soft suburban crowd.
    Your post doesn't make any sense. You call it "gangsta" but the knowledgeable calls it "reality".

What made the music "gangsta" was spitting about the realities and harshness of their environment and trying to get out the negativity by any means necessary for something better, but at the same time not forgetting where they came from to give their music that edge. Those in the industry that saw reality as a cash cow exploited it for the worse and "killed" it from within.

Your views about "reality" music are wrong.

LOL @ "soft suburban crowd." ? that ? -in-a-barrel nonsense. Black folk voluntarily boxed themselves in that ? , thinking it was cool to be hood back then. Harsh realities had to be addressed, yes, but when it affected other black people to think that being in one area is the only 'real' thing to be, that ? had to come to an end. It played itself out when it became predictable and stagnant.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    H-O-U-S-T-O-N-
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    My ? Cube done gave ya ? prophecy back in 1991 about todays hip hop. How no one else saw it coming?

When you first start rhyming It started off slow and then you start climbing
    But it wasn't fast enough I guess
    So you gave your other style a test
    You was ? hip-hop
    Now look at yourself, boy you done flip-flopped
    Giving our music away to the mainstream
    Don't you know they ain't down with the team?
    They just sent they boss over
    Put a bug in your ear and now you crossed over
    On MTV but they don't care
    They'll have a new ? next year
    You out in the cold
    No more white fans and no more soul
    And you might have a heart attack
    When you find out the black folks don't want you back
    And you know what's worse? You was just like the ? in the first verse
    Stop selling out your race
    And wipe that stupid-ass smile off your face
    ? always gotta show they teeth
    Now I'm a be brief
    Be true to the game

• nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options
    Nowadays these blk execs worse than white execs
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? Cube done gave ya ? prophecy back in 1991 about todays hip hop. How no one else saw it coming?

When you first start rhyming It started off slow and then you start climbing
    But it wasn't fast enough I guess
    So you gave your other style a test
    You was ? hip-hop
    Now look at yourself, boy you done flip-flopped
    Giving our music away to the mainstream
    Don't you know they ain't down with the team?
    They just sent they boss over
    Put a bug in your ear and now you crossed over
    On MTV but they don't care
    They'll have a new ? next year
    You out in the cold
    No more white fans and no more soul
    And you might have a heart attack
    When you find out the black folks don't want you back
    And you know what's worse? You was just like the ? in the first verse
    Stop selling out your race
    And wipe that stupid-ass smile off your face
    ? always gotta show they teeth
    Now I'm a be brief
    Be true to the game

Cube laid it down how it will happen to us
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white? jews took over the music industry years ago, all the Cohens, Bergs and Steins out there. Dont be lumping all white people into that group of manipulators.
  • dollarandadream
    dollarandadream Members Posts: 236
    Options
    The record executives don't care about the culture of hip hop. They just want to make some money off of it
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hip Hop paved the way for many which roots started in the streetz!
    I don't like the term gangsta because people instantly think shooting and homicide!
    These katz where from the streetz could be considered by some gangsta!
    These acts paved the way for diversity in more ways then one!
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't no white guys in the cypher yesterday.....? losing touch with real hip hop
  • bindayvez79
    bindayvez79 Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you got bars you got bars. ? a color. besides, white boys take the art of rap way serious than ? do.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    It Is What It Is!
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anduin wrote: »
    white? jews took over the music industry years ago, all the Cohens, Bergs and Steins out there. Dont be lumping all white people into that group of manipulators.

but they are white