Deathrow vs Bad Boy

Options

Comments

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    5 Grand wrote: »
    My opinion aint trollin bruh.I've consistently said them albums are wacc and it's laughable to think biggie isn't a better mc and had 2 albums better than everybody on death row roster.Lemme guess daz,snoop,rage,pac and dr dre compare to big right?

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Nobody said they were better than Big's albums. The only ones to make that case is ? , The Chronic, and All Eyez On Me. But Big was Bad Boys entire meal ticket while Deathrow kept filling the airwaves with hits. There is no comparison. Deathrow and its legacy ? all over Bad Boy. Big was the only reason that company stayed afloat .

This couldn't be further form the truth. Bad Boy in 1997 alone had a plethora of hits. All of them from the Rap artists on the label. "Hypnotize", "Mo Money, Mo Problems", "Been Around The World", "It's All About the Benjamins", and "I'll Be Missin' You" all peaked in the Top 3 of the Billboard 100 in 1997. All of those either featured Biggie or were about Biggie, but "Can't Hold Me Down" was a #1 hit, Mase's "Feel So Good" peaked at #5 and "What You Want" peaked at #6.

Bad Boy's legacy is arguably greater than Death Row's for the fact that it transcends Hip Hop. Bad Boy at one point was Urban music. How many R&B artists and even Pop stars like Mariah had a Bad Boy remix? Jay Z and LL both had The Hitmen (Bad Boy's in house producers) to helm their albums in '97.

After Biggie died, Puff was going 7X platinum and Mase was 3X platinum. Shyne and Black Rob both had platinum albums in 2000.

People are seriously underrating and downplaying Bad Boy's dominance, legacy, and significance to Hip Hop (not only Hip Hop, but music period).

Yea after Suge was incarcerated, pac was murdered, and the company went to ? . All them ? you named were one album wonders. During Deathrow's glory days, bad boy wasn't holding a candle to Deathrow.

I agree that Death Row ran it from '92-'94. Bad Boy didn't give them any real competition until '95 when Ready To Die really started catching on, but didn't really dominate until 1997.

As for the one album wonder thing:

Dre dropped one album on Death Row and bounced to start Aftermath

Dogg Pound only had one successful album on Death Row

Pac and Snoop dropped about the same amount of albums on Death Row as Mase dropped on Bad Boy

Dogg pound are the only argument you have as one album wonders. Them bad boy ? disappeared off the map when they left the label.

So Dr. Dre dropped more than one album on Death Row?

Dre ain't a rapper, he's a producer. He produced everything that came out of Deathrow from 1991 to 1996.

Nonsense. Dre didn't produce everything on Deathrow from 91-96. I know he didn't produce All Eyes on Me or Mackevelli. I don't think he produced the Dogg Pound album either but I'm not sure because honestly I've never heard it.

DEathrow may have been the stronger label from the very end of 92 when "Nuttin but a G thing" came out. The Chronic LP came out in the early part of 93. But I don't even thing Bad Boy existed then. I don't think Bad Boy really existed until 94 when "Flavor In Your Ear" and Juicy" were released. Biggie's album came out in late 94, and in mid 95 you had "Can't You See" by Total feat Big, "Player's Anthem" by Junior Mafia feat Big and the "Once More Chance" (Remix) and the Flavor in Your Ear (Remix) that got rereleased with everybody on it. Bad Boy owned the summer of 95 and that's undisputable. I think Dr Dre had a few songs out at the time like "Keep Their Heads Ringin" and "Natural Born Killers" with Ice Cube.

There's no question that Pac stirred up the ? when he got out of jail and dropped a double LP and later released "Hit Em Up". But if we're talking sales, I don't think there's any comparison

Ready to Die - 4 million
    Juicy (single) - Gold
    Big Poppa (single) platinum
    One More Chance (Remix single) - Platinum
    Funk Da World - Gold
    Life After Death - Diamond
    No Way Out - 7 million
    Total - Platinum
    112 - 2 million
    Harlem World - 4 million
    Money Power Respect (song) - gold
    Money Power Respect (album) - platinum
    Forever - Platinum
    Faith - 1.5 million
    Double Up - Platinum
    Keep the Faith 1 million
    Born Again - 2 million
    Faithfully - Platinum
    Life Story - Platinum
    Shyne - Platinum
    Dream - Platinum
    Part III - Platinum
    We invented the Remix - 2 million
    Bad Boy Soundtrack - platinum

And it keeps going. To be honest, Bad Boys best years were from 94-98 whereas Death Row's best years were 92-96 but Bad Boy kept it moving without Big and have released legitimate product since the mid 90s (Danity Kane has two platinum LPs on Bad Boy) Death Row released The Chronic 2000 which according to my research didn't go gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Records

That's it? and You added singles to that?

The Chronic-8Mill WW
    ? - 5x Plat
    Above The Rim SoundTrack-2x Plat
    Murda Was The Case-2x Plat
    Dogg Food-2x Plat
    All Eyez On Me-Diamond
    California Love (single)2xplat
    How Do You Want It (single) 2xplat
    7 Day Theory-4x Plat
    DoggFather-2xPlat
    Gridlock Soundtrack-Gold
    Gang Related Soundtrack-2xplat
    2Pac's Greatest Hits-Diamond
    Until The End Of Time-3xPlat
    Better Dayz-3xplat

I didn't even list all the albums released on The Row.
    But they easily outsold BadBoy
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Deathrow mightve been the better rap label, but Badboy was better overall and is still running
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    My opinion aint trollin bruh.I've consistently said them albums are wacc and it's laughable to think biggie isn't a better mc and had 2 albums better than everybody on death row roster.Lemme guess daz,snoop,rage,pac and dr dre compare to big right?

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Nobody said they were better than Big's albums. The only ones to make that case is ? , The Chronic, and All Eyez On Me. But Big was Bad Boys entire meal ticket while Deathrow kept filling the airwaves with hits. There is no comparison. Deathrow and its legacy ? all over Bad Boy. Big was the only reason that company stayed afloat .

This couldn't be further form the truth. Bad Boy in 1997 alone had a plethora of hits. All of them from the Rap artists on the label. "Hypnotize", "Mo Money, Mo Problems", "Been Around The World", "It's All About the Benjamins", and "I'll Be Missin' You" all peaked in the Top 3 of the Billboard 100 in 1997. All of those either featured Biggie or were about Biggie, but "Can't Hold Me Down" was a #1 hit, Mase's "Feel So Good" peaked at #5 and "What You Want" peaked at #6.

Bad Boy's legacy is arguably greater than Death Row's for the fact that it transcends Hip Hop. Bad Boy at one point was Urban music. How many R&B artists and even Pop stars like Mariah had a Bad Boy remix? Jay Z and LL both had The Hitmen (Bad Boy's in house producers) to helm their albums in '97.

After Biggie died, Puff was going 7X platinum and Mase was 3X platinum. Shyne and Black Rob both had platinum albums in 2000.

People are seriously underrating and downplaying Bad Boy's dominance, legacy, and significance to Hip Hop (not only Hip Hop, but music period).

Yea after Suge was incarcerated, pac was murdered, and the company went to ? . All them ? you named were one album wonders. During Deathrow's glory days, bad boy wasn't holding a candle to Deathrow.

I agree that Death Row ran it from '92-'94. Bad Boy didn't give them any real competition until '95 when Ready To Die really started catching on, but didn't really dominate until 1997.

Pac and Snoop dropped about the same amount of albums on Death Row as Mase dropped on Bad Boy

Dogg pound are the only argument you have as one album wonders. Them bad boy ? disappeared off the map when they left the label.

Dre ain't a rapper, he's a producer. He produced everything that came out of Deathrow from 1991 to 1996.

Nonsense. Dre didn't produce everything on Deathrow from 91-96. I know he didn't produce All Eyes on Me or Mackevelli. I don't think he produced the Dogg Pound album either but I'm not sure because honestly I've never heard it.

DEathrow may have been the stronger label from the very end of 92 when "Nuttin but a G thing" came out. The Chronic LP came out in the early part of 93. But I don't even thing Bad Boy existed then. I don't think Bad Boy really existed until 94 when "Flavor In Your Ear" and Juicy" were released. Biggie's album came out in late 94, and in mid 95 you had "Can't You See" by Total feat Big, "Player's Anthem" by Junior Mafia feat Big and the "Once More Chance" (Remix) and the Flavor in Your Ear (Remix) that got rereleased with everybody on it. Bad Boy owned the summer of 95 and that's undisputable. I think Dr Dre had a few songs out at the time like "Keep Their Heads Ringin" and "Natural Born Killers" with Ice Cube.

There's no question that Pac stirred up the ? when he got out of jail and dropped a double LP and later released "Hit Em Up". But if we're talking sales, I don't think there's any comparison

Ready to Die - 4 million
    Juicy (single) - Gold
    Big Poppa (single) platinum
    One More Chance (Remix single) - Platinum
    Funk Da World - Gold
    Life After Death - Diamond
    No Way Out - 7 million
    Total - Platinum
    112 - 2 million
    Harlem World - 4 million
    Money Power Respect (song) - gold
    Money Power Respect (album) - platinum
    Forever - Platinum
    Faith - 1.5 million
    Double Up - Platinum
    Keep the Faith 1 million
    Born Again - 2 million
    Faithfully - Platinum
    Life Story - Platinum
    Shyne - Platinum
    Dream - Platinum
    Part III - Platinum
    We invented the Remix - 2 million
    Bad Boy Soundtrack - platinum

And it keeps going. To be honest, Bad Boys best years were from 94-98 whereas Death Row's best years were 92-96 but Bad Boy kept it moving without Big and have released legitimate product since the mid 90s (Danity Kane has two platinum LPs on Bad Boy) Death Row released The Chronic 2000 which according to my research didn't go gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Records

That's it? and You added singles to that?

The Chronic-8Mill WW
    ? - 5x Plat
    Above The Rim SoundTrack-2x Plat
    Murda Was The Case-2x Plat
    Dogg Food-2x Plat
    All Eyez On Me-Diamond
    California Love (single)2xplat
    How Do You Want It (single) 2xplat
    7 Day Theory-4x Plat
    DoggFather-2xPlat
    Gridlock Soundtrack-Gold
    Gang Related Soundtrack-2xplat
    2Pac's Greatest Hits-Diamond
    Until The End Of Time-3xPlat
    Better Dayz-3xplat

I didn't even list all the albums released on The Row.
    But they easily outsold BadBoy

No way, here's a link for just the singles that Ma$e released that went gold or platinum. I didn't have time to list them in my initial post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mase_discography#Singles
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    a_list wrote: »
    Deathrow mightve been the better rap label, but Badboy was better overall and is still running

French Montana and Machine Gun Kelly?

Bad Boy aint running ? with those 2
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Not everything was produced by Dre.
    Dat ? Daz, DJ Quik, Johnny "J", Sam Sneed, Big D, Hurt-M-Badd, QDIII, Devante Swing from Jodeci, Rick Rock, DJ Pooh, Soopafly and L.T. Hutton produced for Death Row as well.
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    south4life wrote: »

24dhuuh.gif

Foh

Not everything was produced by Dre.
    Dat ? Daz, DJ Quik, Johnny "J", Sam Sneed, Big D, Hurt-M-Badd, QDIII, Devante Swing from Jodeci, Rick Rock, DJ Pooh, Soopafly and L.T. Hutton produced for Death Row as well.

Most of em worked on All Eyez On Me

Daz Made This....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p9jSRxguAA

Devante
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mCW_swjaE

Pac and Johny J made this beat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Jmm6A4vn8

Johny J
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlvS_Uk5yJM

Quik
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuv6tXw_6GY
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Weazel wrote: »
    Who's Crooked I and why are you comparing him to artists that have gold singles?

Oh, suddenly it's about sales?, okay..

..Dr Dre, 2Pac,Snoop Dogg

But cmon man, as much as I liked Bad Boy in their prime, they could never ? wit the Row
    And to act like you don't know ? about Crooked I (and his skills as MC) is some pure ignorism
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    MR Josh wrote: »
    everybody talking about the pac era,deathrow actually changed the game and culture with THE CHRONIC and ? not all eyes on me....and for dude saying Big didnt do anything 96,big had his own artist going platinum 96(? ) he had a smash single with his own gruop(get money remix)...what badboy did 97/98 bettered what deathrow did 96,check the albums both companies dropped between 96 and 98.we talking all eyez on me,the 7th day theory and Tha dogg father going against life after death,no way out and harlem world..

overall i give the edge to deathrow off the strength of the chronic and ? ..they laid the blueprint with those albums.even though i believe badboy was more balance as a company

I agree with this post.

The thing with Death Row is that if you remove Death Row from the equation and just had those same artists signed to Interscope, they would've been just as successful, if not more successful. That's why an artist like Dr. Dre is still here. He was molding talent and was a successful producer before Death Row. He also introduced Snoop and the other artists that appeared on The Chronic.
    ohhhla wrote: »
    You guys are going off premise here.

The topic doesn't care what Bad Boy did after '96.

We are talking about in both of their primes.

The Row easily wins and it's not about being a groupie or Pac dickrider.

'92-'96 wasn't Bad Boy's prime though. From '92-'93, Bad Boy was still grooming Biggie. They didn't release any albums until '94. Before that, it was just B-sides. 1995 was when Bad Boy started to take off.

• georgia boi
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Who's your favourite?
    Wich label had the best roster?
    Why?

It's on you

This was the original thread premise

So actually by counting from 97 on you're derailing the thread because who had the deepest roster no longer can apply with Death Rows big four (dre,snoop,pac,dpg)all either dead or broke away from the label

Even based on this premise, people are basically comparing four acts (the only ones to drop an album during Death Row's entire run) to Biggie, Puff, Mase, Black Rob, Shyne, The Lox, Eightball & MJG, Boyz N Da Hood, Joc, Guerilla Zoe, and French Montanna. Granted, Joc, Boyz N Da Hood and Guerilla Zoe shouldn't even be in the convo, but they are part of the roster that actually saw a release.

Based ont that, it's not as easy as it seems.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Deathrow had a good run but overall? Not even ? close
  • MR Josh
    MR Josh Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    if we talking both labes in their primes,and overall impact musically not just rap and hiphop badboy wins easily,nothing from deathrow touches the" life after death and" i will be missing you" season,badboy took over the music industry.everybody had to go to badboy for a hit record or collab..my grand mother knew badboy from i'll be missing you.this is simple,after the 2 biggest artists of both companies died,which one of the companies kept destroying the charts with hits?

deathrow had poor management,i mean how could you get pac and completely over look your biggest artist snoop? deathrow couldnt manage 2 powerful rappers same time while badboy was giving you big,mase,112,lox,blackrob and every single one of them knew their position.when you talk impact longevity matters a lot
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    I'm still waiting for a d!ckriding Death Row stan to list 3 rappers from Death Row that can hang with Big, Ma$e and Jadakiss, who all have gold and platinum singles (and considering that "We'll Always Love Big Poppa" was on the b-side of "I'll Be Missing You" you could say Jadakiss has a platinum single even though I was really just counting "Money Power Respect" which went gold).

And also, Deathrow stans have to conveniently make 1996 the cutoff point for the argument even though Suge Knight tried to release a Chronic 2000 album in 1999 that from what I can tell didn't go gold. You can go on wikipedia (I know its not the best source) and look at Bad Boy's track record and they're still releasing platinum records. Danity Kane released 2 platinum albums in the 2000s.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    I'm still waiting for a d!ckriding Death Row stan to list 3 rappers from Death Row that can hang with Big, Ma$e and Jadakiss, who all have gold and platinum singles (and considering that "We'll Always Love Big Poppa" was on the b-side of "I'll Be Missing You" you could say Jadakiss has a platinum single even though I was really just counting "Money Power Respect" which went gold).

And also, Deathrow stans have to conveniently make 1996 the cutoff point for the argument even though Suge Knight tried to release a Chronic 2000 album in 1999 that from what I can tell didn't go gold. You can go on wikipedia (I know its not the best source) and look at Bad Boy's track record and they're still releasing platinum records. Danity Kane released 2 platinum albums in the 2000s.

Snoop, Kurupt and Lady of Rage could hang with Big, Ma$e and Jadakiss

The only reason Death Row went down is because of the chain reaction events that happened after Pac died.
    First Dre left, Pac dies, Suge goes to prison and Snoop leaves, Death Row was never the same after losing Dre, Pac, Suge and Snoop.

• a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    a_list wrote: »

French Montana and Machine Gun Kelly?

Bad Boy aint running ? with those 2

Running as in still operating....Wats the name of that ? that Deathrow released earlier this year?
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    How the ? did deathrow run away with this? You youngn's man voting for deathrow solely off the reputation, drama and history that goes with it, not off the actual music, longevity and success because in reality it's not even close
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Really, you guys think Death Row can assemble 3 MCs that could battle Big, Jadakiss and Ma$e circa 96/97?

Mr. serve 3000 mcees Kurupt was ? with them by himself, but then you throw Snoop in who is also dope off the top of the head. and Rbx,Lady of Rage, Daz, or Tray Dee any of them 4 can give Ma$e the bizness.

an onstage battle woulda sucked for Badboy.

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    I'll give kurupt that, didn't he serve most of the wu and affiliates besides Killah Priest?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Who's your favourite?
    Why?

It's on you

So actually by counting from 97 on you're derailing the thread because who had the deepest roster no longer can apply with Death Rows big four (dre,snoop,pac,dpg)all either dead or broke away from the label

Even based on this premise, people are basically comparing four acts (the only ones to drop an album during Death Row's entire run) to Biggie, Puff, Mase, Black Rob, Shyne, The Lox, Eightball & MJG, Boyz N Da Hood, Joc, Guerilla Zoe, and French Montanna. Granted, Joc, Boyz N Da Hood and Guerilla Zoe shouldn't even be in the convo, but they are part of the roster that actually saw a release.

mjg? French montana?

Why are you including ? that got on the label waaay later? this is a "IN THEIR PRIME" comparison not no cot damn life time acheivement award. from 97 on of course Bay Boy had a longer stretch. That dont mean they were the better roster just because the other label fell from within.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who's your favourite?
    Why?

It's on you

mjg? French montana?

Why are you including ? that got on the label waaay later? this is a "IN THEIR PRIME" comparison not no cot damn life time acheivement award. from 97 on of course Bay Boy had a longer stretch. That dont mean they were the better roster just because the other label fell from within.

These bad boy ? are reaching now.smh
  • georgia boi
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Who's your favourite?
    Why?

It's on you

mjg? French montana?

Bad Boy and Death Row didn't experience their primes simultanesouly though. Death Row blew up in '92 w/ The Chronic and had a reign that continued up until '97. Bad Boy didn't take off until '94 with Project Funk The World from Craig Mack and Biggie's Ready To Die. Bad Boy's reign didn't really start until '95 when they had Biggie's "One More Chance remix", "Big Poppa" and it's remixes, "Who Shot Ya", and the "Flava In Ya Ear remix" in rotation. In addition, there was Total's "Can't You See", and Faith's "Used To Love Me" and "Soon As I Get Home". In '96 Bad Boy focused on R&B debuts from Total and 112, which were successful. In 1997 is when Bad Boy really dominated.

In terms of the better roster, even if you limit this to Bad Boy's prime, you still have Biggie, Mase, The Lox, Black Rob vs. Dr. Dre (who didn't even write his own rhymes), Snoop Dogg, 2Pac (an already established great before the Death Row deal), and Tha Dogg Pound.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    Bad boy made better music to me
  • 5 Grand
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    south4life wrote: »

Snoop, Kurupt and Lady of Rage could hang with Big, Ma$e and Jadakiss

The only reason Death Row went down is because of the chain reaction events that happened after Pac died.
    First Dre left, Pac dies, Suge goes to prison and Snoop leaves, Death Row was never the same after losing Dre, Pac, Suge and Snoop.

And the bolded part is the reason that Bad Boy is better than Death Row. Plain and simply, Death Row fell off while Bad Boy kept it movin. The title of the thread isn't "which label had a better 4 year run". The title of the thread is Death Row vs Bad Boy and Death Row had tried, albiet unsuccessfully, to release music after the departure of Dre, Snoop and Pac but they just can't. They can't. Death Row lost. Look at the income statements from both labels over the past 15 years and you'll clearly see that it was over for Death Row 15 years ago.

And LOL @ Snoop Kurrupt and Lady of Rage can hang with Big, Ma$e and Jadakiss.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao anybody who tried to make a case for death row records got gunned up and clapped quick zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it.This thread aint nothin but a bunch of misinformed biased dickriders

vince-carter-says-its-over-o.gif

Facts>>>>>>>opinions

• willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deathrow Records
    Nobody was ? with Deathrow in it's prime not even Bad Boy and they had Biggie, Puff, Total, Faith Evans, Craig Mack, & 112. Now that I think about it this ? ain't even fair b/c it wasn't even a contest to begin with if you look at Death Row's roster. Biggie was a big success in Bad Boy pumping out mufti-platinum artists in the 90's.

If Death Row didn't fold due to Pac's death & dysfunctional ? within the company I think they still would had been on top for another decade. I'm glad DMX came through and destroyed the shinny suit era (which was 9-10 months).
  • MR Josh
    MR Josh Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    Bad Boy Records
    it depends on when you actually think their prime was,if you saying 92/94 you 100% right nobody could touch deathrow records at the time but 95 an beyond? badboy was already becoming a power house positioned to take over.thats why suge got jealous and gassed pac to destroy badboy but unfortunately that dumb decision ended up destroying pac,deathrow and Suge himself!