Who remembers the first time you heard "Through The Wire" ?

Options

Comments

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qtipp73 wrote: »
    I was like this ? is ? amazing but who the ? is Kanye West? not knowing I heard his production before.

You mean, Kayne West. LOL! I remember everybody used to always mispronounce/misspell his name.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I remember seeing the video and thinking it was hot. But later, when I realized his jaw was actually wired shut and he was literally rapping "Through the Wire" I had to give him props.

When its all said and done, that may be one of Hip Hop's greatest rap deliveries. Think about it, his jaw was wired shut.

dmx got his record deal with def jam the same way..
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like the song 1st time I heard it.. then he did slow jams with twista and it was a wrap..
  • lonestarg
    lonestarg Members Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heard it.. didn't like it!

Listened to it.. it was okay!

Would i/still i jam it? No!
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went and downloaded Chaka Khans song
  • dollarandadream
    dollarandadream Members Posts: 236
    Options
    I remember thinking this song is dope when the video was being played on MTV's Direct Effect
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Insane beat....who is this whack ass rapper spinning a sob story and not jay z stunning on this ? ..that's what I thought...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think i was 14 when this came out. I loved this ? .
  • g00dlikeg0d
    g00dlikeg0d Members Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic ? , I was a freshmen in the dorms, I couldn't stop playing this joint, especially at the end when he let the Chaka sample ride out.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We had the chance to watch his slow decent into madness ever since. It has been brilliant.
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember watching Rap City getting ready to watch 106, and the last video came on.

The start of the video came on with that fiend looking lady and I was like wtf is this.

Then the beat dropped and I was like this ? is hard, video was dope, song was dope, plus he was rolling with the Roc I was rockin with damn near everybody on Roc-A-Fella at the time so that was icing on the cake.

Never heard of him until then but Kanye had a fan since that day.

? on thin ice after that Yeezus ? though.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    liked it when i heard it. great cap to the year. it was around november.
    didnt think or wasnt prepared to think Kanye would actually go solo and blow up the way he did from it
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They shot some of that ? at Leon's BBQ....I used to smash the owners niece so I had the heads up but the ? was dope plus u heard bout Kanye here and there but never thought he d make it .. I figured one of these Chicago rappers d shot him for being fugazi
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had all his ? before the album dropped tho... I remember he had beef w Shawna s brother , the ? who made splash waterfalls for luda
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought it didn't sound like a typical Roc record, but I didn't really become a Kanye fan until I heard "Two words".
  • dollarandadream
    dollarandadream Members Posts: 236
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Thought it didn't sound like a typical Roc record, but I didn't really become a Kanye fan until I heard "Two words".

Two Words was dope ^^^
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought the vid was dope.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went on my cuzs kazaa library and he had like 30 tracks by "kanye west". Back wen he had a verse for basically every hit he made. Im like ' dude made this beat!?' Became a fan since. Didnt think that would end so eruptly.
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I first heard Thru The Wire I was like, "Who this fucc nikka on the radio?" I thought Kanye was Juelz Santana's weed carrier that got a wack deal or sumthin'. Then I heard All Falls Down and checked Kanye's background about the car accident that nearly took his life. It then all came together cause I didnt know about Kanye. I listened to Thru The Wire again and had big respect for dude.

That being said....Ye' fell off after Graduation.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Around the time this song came out I was a huge WU-TANG fan, so my feelings towards this song was he straight jacked RZA production style with the chipmunk voice and made it corny by using it for the entire sample. RZA was known for taking a small portion of a record/sample that was dope and looping it (example:"260")while adding his own sound to it , one of the reasons I wish he would get back to sampling and feel through the wire sample wasnt used in a way that I would prefer. Aside from production it was a coming of age record which I enjoyed from a lyrical standpoint and I saw and understood where he was coming from and hes proven to be a great producer whos production evolved since....

But till this day im still a Wu head at heart
    http://youtu.be/NDBJXZjmLro
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Aight...I just wanna tell the ? who know...That I'm the newest member of the Roc-A-Fella teeeeeaaaaaam!"

"Without a arm I spit, without a arm I spit! Without a arm I spit! MY ? HOLD IT!"
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought he was gonna DMX the game back to backpack/ consciousness.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was amazed. You could feel the hunger the pain the extreme motivation of that guy....
    One of his greatest song imo
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I check the producers on all the tracks I bump so I already knew Kanye was nice...when I heard this I was thinking the bars aren't great but the beats dope... n what heat he was gonna give Jay next
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Kimye and his jaw