thanos vs darkseid

Options

Comments

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos is >>>>> Darkseid in every aspect imaginable..strength, durability, intelligence, raw power. DS has absolutely zero chance of defeating Thanos without some mitagating circumstances. DS is Superman level, Thanos is above top tier
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thanos
    If Darkseid ever beats Thanos....its because Thanos planned for it to happen.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    darkseid
    DS is really underrated on her i see
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkseid
    @jaxn I have to disagree darkseid is a problem. He is for sure above Supes.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    darkseid
    But Surtur and Beyonder are for sure the top on that list
  • jaxn
    Options
    @jaxn I have to disagree darkseid is a problem. He is for sure above Supes.

Perhaps they've revamped his status quo in the nu52, but a guy who had his eyes beaten and swollen shut by Superman and literally begged Superman for mercy isn't a problem at all. Superman blocked the Omega Effect with Heat Vision as well. In the Hunger (which isn't canon that I know of, but shows the only time DS and Galactus interacted) DS was nothing more than a pest to Galactus. He didn't even bother with DS after dispatching him and this was a Galactus stated as being the hungriest he's ever been, meaning this guy was extremely weak. Weaker than we've ever seen him up until this point. There was literally nothing DS could do to Galactus. Although Thanos is nothing more than a pest to Galan as well, Thanos would've elicited a greater response from Galactus as seen in the ironically called Hunger mini, when Thanos blasted Galactus out of his ship..obviously Galactus handled Thanos with releative ease, but he actually did engage him with anger..with DS, he casually blasted this ? into oblivion. DS had to be helped out of rubble by Orion.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkseid
    Now I know why Final Crisis flew over so many heads. A lot of modern day comic book fans aren't familiar with pre-crisis Darkseid at all and that's basically what Morrison reverted to.
  • jaxn
    Options
    are you using pre-crisis DS for this debate?
  • jaxn
    Options
    pre-crisis was a mess, hence why the retcon. One day Superman can sneeze out a galaxy and the next he's having problems lifting a car
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    darkseid
    jaxn wrote: »
    are you using pre-crisis DS for this debate?

Yes because it's the only version of Darkseid that truly matters. Kirby and less than a handful of writers at best are the ones who understood how to write that concept. Morrison falls in that group. The New Gods have been bastardized more times than I can count especially towards the end of post-crisis. Things seemingly seem back to normal in the New 52 ? 1st arc of Justice League aside.
    jaxn wrote: »
    pre-crisis was a mess, hence why the retcon. One day Superman can sneeze out a galaxy and the next he's having problems lifting a car

Sure. That's why it was the most successful era in DC Comics history.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thanos
    I believe there is no such thing as Pre-crisis Darkseid. Darkseid existed outside of that Crisis.

That said, keep in mind that Darkseid and Thanos have pulled the same trick where a lot of their defeats were stated to no actually be them but clones/dupes.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    darkseid
    The Darkseid written post-crisis is at times dramatically different from the Darkseid written from 1970 to 1986. So yes there is such a thing.

Darkseid is a celestial being. Ethereal in nature just like Highfather. He doesn't exist within the DCU physically; the Darkseid's that have faced Superman and the Justice League were all avatars of the real deal. Not "clones" not "duplicates" just physical manifestations embodied and controlled by the real Darkseid. Which is why he always comes back.

1607002-fb977017jpgorig9uj.jpg

1607010-f9cca559jpgorig2ra.jpg

The problem is a lot of writers don't know this because they're ignorant to the mechanics and concepts of Jack Kirby's 4th World and a lot of DC editors aren't better because they're ignorant as well. A lot of the people that work there don't engross themselves in the entire publishing history of the company like many of the fans do. It's another reason I'm thankful for Morrison's Seven Soldiers/Final Crisis stories. Somebody finally did their homework and gave us some New Gods stories truly worthy of the original works of Jack Kirby again.
  • jaxn
    Options
    if you're using pre-crisis DS in a debate then that should be pointed out.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    thanos
    Broddie wrote: »
    The Darkseid written post-crisis is at times dramatically different from the Darkseid written from 1970 to 1986. So yes there is such a thing.

Darkseid is a celestial being. Ethereal in nature just like Highfather. He doesn't exist within the DCU physically; the Darkseid's that have faced Superman and the Justice League were all avatars of the real deal. Not "clones" not "duplicates" just physical manifestations embodied and controlled by the real Darkseid. Which is why he always comes back.

1607002-fb977017jpgorig9uj.jpg

1607010-f9cca559jpgorig2ra.jpg

The problem is a lot of writers don't know this because they're ignorant to the mechanics and concepts of Jack Kirby's 4th World and a lot of DC editors aren't better because they're ignorant as well. A lot of the people that work there don't engross themselves in the entire publishing history of the company like many of the fans do. It's another reason I'm thankful for Morrison's Seven Soldiers/Final Crisis stories. Somebody finally did their homework and gave us some New Gods stories truly worthy of the original works of Jack Kirby again.

Nothing you said really counters what I said honestly.

Darkseid being written dramatically different is not indicative of anything. Characters get written differently all the time without an "Crisis" occurring. It's a consequence of have different writers with different takes controlling a character. As you said, Darkseid exists outside of the normal DCU, and as such he wasn't actually affected by the Crisis.

As for his Avatars, what he calls them is irrelevant. My point was only that, as with Thanos, a lot of the times that Darkseid has been defeated, it wasn't actually Darkseid.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    darkseid
    Here is what's cool about this thread obviously none of us have seen all of Seid's appearances on panel. So the perspectives change a lot. I think seid is a powerhouse. Omega beams make him so trill its crazy. Thanos to me is about schemes so much that I feel like Seid would get him in a random. There really is no wrong answer. The debate is fun though...@Broddie @jaxn @the lonious monk all come with good ? every time. To the point where you have to stand corrected based on facts sometimes. Quite comical needs to come back alive for real. Lets get some good threads
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i came up with this thread.....so i'm the ? by default
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    darkseid
    Du_Du wrote: »
    i came up with this thread.....so i'm the ? by default

No diss TS! @du_du is the ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    thanos
    Here is what's cool about this thread obviously none of us have seen all of Seid's appearances on panel. So the perspectives change a lot. I think seid is a powerhouse. Omega beams make him so trill its crazy. Thanos to me is about schemes so much that I feel like Seid would get him in a random. There really is no wrong answer. The debate is fun though...@Broddie @jaxn @the lonious monk all come with good ? every time. To the point where you have to stand corrected based on facts sometimes. Quite comical needs to come back alive for real. Lets get some good threads

Yeah, as much as people like to compare these two. They are very different. If they just met up and fought with no background, I'd give it to Darkseid because of the Omega Effect. However, if it was a planned confrontation, I'd give it to Thanos because he's a better schemer.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thanos
    132db4f08cc4f180164496f2a1515135.jpg
    Thanos says ? your votes
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkseid
    This would be a much better matchup.
    Darkseid_Galactus_The_Hunger_001.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    thanos

How so? If you read the comic, you know it wasn't much of a matchup at all.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thanos
    Hold The Pickles Uxas nh

790502-jobber.jpg
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    darkseid

Darkseid has never fought anyone with his true power. He has small portions of his power take on Justice League.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2015
    Options
    thanos

Darkseid has never fought anyone with his true power. He has small portions of his power take on Justice League.

I'm talking about the comic you put up where Galactus literally went to Darkseid's planet to eat it, and Darkseid couldn't do anything to him.

GekDJ.jpg

04-29-2008093137AM.jpg
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    darkseid
    Oh ? , ether lol.