Black America must not support "The Butler"

Options

Comments

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some black people made a successful movie. too bad haters haha. I already knew it wasnt about him bein some nothing servant. That was never the point. Simple minds lose again. Hilarious. What a waste of energy. Boycot? Lmao Its a movie to enjoy, not the end all be all of life Learn what a movie is.

from what has been reported,

the author of the book, fought to keep the name "The Butler...."

while Hollywood Execs. wanted to change because it would turn some in the black community off

think about that for a second

the brother (vainly?) had fate that the black community would see past the name,
    and understand that the story wasn't about the character being a mere butler

but the Hollywood Execs. knew how some "? " would only see the name and rolls their eyes in disapproval

and this is thread, and many Facebook status,Tweets etc
    is testament of exactly that

that's powerful & quite frankly pitiful ?

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Also... This ? is historical fiction... For y'all thinking its some factual ? ... They basically took the stories of a bunch of White House workers to make the story...
    ? ... Magical ? ...

Basically it's the magical ? version of the that wack ass movie "The Help".. with a male lead...
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Some black people made a successful movie. too bad haters haha. I already knew it wasnt about him bein some nothing servant. That was never the point. Simple minds lose again. Hilarious. What a waste of energy. Boycot? Lmao Its a movie to enjoy, not the end all be all of life Learn what a movie is.

from what has been reported,

the author of the book, fought to keep the name "The Butler...."

while Hollywood Execs. wanted to change because it would turn some in the black community off

think about that for a second

the brother (vainly?) had fate that the black community would see past the name,
    and understand that the story wasn't about the character being a mere butler

but the Hollywood Execs. knew how some "? " would only see the name and rolls their eyes in disapproval

and this is thread, and many Facebook status,Tweets etc
    is testament of exactly that

that's powerful & quite frankly pitiful ?

lol

this "? " seen the movie and for the most part my assumptions were true...

the scene where mlk jr talks about the special capability of the "house ? " to quietly build up african american credibility in the eyes of whites, which finally convinces louis that his father's role as a butler for a series of white presidents is activism in its own way sums up the movie perfectly

its even more of a disturbing moment in the film considering louis' plight in the movie and the fact that he never existed. louis was actually a fictitious character

liked how they dogged ronald reagan though

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also... This ? is historical fiction... For y'all thinking its some factual ? ... They basically took the stories of a bunch of White House workers to make the story...
    ? ... Magical ? ...

wrong..the movie is based on the life of the actual white house butler and was first covered in a washington post story..some elements and scenes are embellished/fictional for dramatic effect though
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ? ... Magical ? ...
    Lee Daniels’ The Butler, which opens Friday, is loosely based on the life of Eugene Allen, a butler at the White House for 34 years and through eight administrations.

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/08/16/what-the-butler-really-saw/#ixzz2cSAtpNl2

@stopitfive No it was based on the life of one person not a group of people. The article does list some of the things that were embellished for the film about his life though
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ? ... Magical ? ...
    Lee Daniels’ The Butler, which opens Friday, is loosely based on the life of Eugene Allen, a butler at the White House for 34 years and through eight administrations.

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/08/16/what-the-butler-really-saw/#ixzz2cSAtpNl2

@stopitfive No it was based on the life of one person not a group of people. The article does list some of the things that were embellished for the film about his life though

@stopitfive do your research next time ? . :(
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forest Whitaker was mistaken for a shoplifter in a deli, and Oprah was mistaken as being too poor to afford a bag.

Coincidence?
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theodis wrote: »
    so this ? the forsest gump of butlers huh?

So I told you about my racists coworkers and you telling me to be a house ? ? That's ? up Bruh, lol.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ? ... Magical ? ...

how can anyone who saw the screen writer on Morning Joe today or who read that article say that my statement was wrong?
    the ? is fiction... lol@do my research... u ? r hilarious...
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Hollywood loves to push these honorable docile ? characters.. you either get the bafoon, the violent wise cracking ? , or the docile ? ...

when are they gonna push a true to life historical epic? did black people have no history before the civil rights movement or better yet colonial slavery?

but Hollywood is like that one D.J. Quik song... "if it don't make dollars it don't make sense"..
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    django was "free" damn near the whole movie...

And any ? who had a significant role in the film ended up dying in the end.
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oprah made that movie cause she's a butler to the white people
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    every black movie can't be about 40s and drivebys open your minds ?
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oprah made that movie cause she's a butler to the white people
    and so is every other black person whos in the entertainment and sports industry so what's the point
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    N YO HOOD wrote: »

And every black people can't be about "overcoming racism", either. Perhaps, your mind should open up a bit more.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    N YO HOOD wrote: »
    I haven't seen a new movie involving this stuff in years they're still being made?
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My question would be can a mug come up like that in 2013? This dude went from ? slavery to getting a call to work at The White House and well at least in the movie he had a nice home. I'm pretty sure the story isn't pin point accurate but nobody can come up like that now
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »

Notice how django actually only killed low level whites in that movie. He never killed any white person of any power or significance. It was the white dude that freed him that killed Leo's character
  • SoldierOfFortune
    SoldierOfFortune Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    I'll support the movie. Looks pretty good, and it's nice to see the inside picture of where the black man has came and went through.
    The Ads are now rolling out. i just went to the movies this past weekend to see Denzel Washington's movie "two guns" (which was the typical action movie) and seen the cardboard display ad for "THE BUTLER". Now mind you, ive already seen the official trailer for this movie (for those that havent i'll include it in this thread), and i can tell you right now that this movie reeks of white supremacy and black submission to white supremacy.

Now i see an ad for the movie as a mouse over flash presentation on this very site (damn you ad block plus for letting this ? thru!!) and what do we have?? Forrest Whittaker in the traditional black power stance, in a butlers suit, serving the white house on a platter (obviously to a white president)

6f1faf884b54208bf9cf6903fecf7833.png
    "You hear nothing, you see nothing, YOU ONLY SERVE"

OLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg
    BlackPower-BlackUnity-BlackPanthers.jpg
    see the difference??

This movie is literally being marketed as a slap in the face to black pride, african heritage, and as a portrayal that somehow turning the other cheek in the face of oppression is some kind of strong character trait.

oprah-the-butler.jpg
    "EVERYTHING YOU ARE AND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IS BECAUSE OF THAT BUTLER" (as if our heritage starts in servitude and as if racism etc wasnt the key factor behind keeping blacks from wealth all throughout american history)

After Trayvon Martin was murdered in cold blood and his killer was set free, the backlash from black america should have been much more than twitter and facebook posts, marches and plights to increase voter registration in black america, and prayers to your higher power for trayvons family. We needed to take action. Why is it that we act like we dont remember Rosa Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott in the 1950's?? We seen how fast white america conformed and changed its policies and morals based on blacks withholding their dollars from white owned bus companies. Blacks in Florida and all over the country should have put a huge dent in florida's wallet for such a disrespectful and cowardly act, setting an admitted killer free.

Blacks have gotten too comfortable with our income and so called freedom in america. i am however seeing improvement in the overall consciousness in the black community. So with that being said i dont expect everyone to do a complete 180 degree turn over night and head in the right direction. But we can start with small battles and then work our way up. So lets start with this obvious outward display of white supremacy and let white america know that we're not having it anymore. BOYCOTT "THE BUTLER" and let america know that black men arent buck dancing, subservient, weak minded servants of whites or any other race/culture. This depiction is not a part of black history, it is proof of how bigotry and racism interrupted black history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuojHqfe4Vk

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    Ounceman wrote: »

Notice how django actually only killed low level whites in that movie. He never killed any white person of any power or significance. It was the white dude that freed him that killed Leo's character

cuz that's still how it is today.

If u watch goodbye unlce Tom the scene where the poor white dudes sneek into the slave quarters and ? the women explains it all.

"rich" or wealthy people with power and influence are a minority in this world. So they do everything to divide the masses to ensure there is no "coupe". They pit the poor white people against the black people even though in the ends we all are slaves. They gave the certain whites low.level.ppsition to differentiate themselves from.the others, but they still were looked at as trash.

django couldn't ? the "master". That would have gone against the programming and also been a little too Nat Turnerish for hollywoods taste.

on that note ? a slave movie if they aint gonna do it right
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves. -
    Harriet Tubman

Make your own movie instead of ? .

@_dub_ has experience in screenplay/script writing
    Someone on here knows a black director
    Someone on here knows about styling for the era you want to speak about
    Someone on here has the financial backing to support a black movie
    Someone on here is connected to make it happen and get it to sundance or the black films festival

see instead of ? , moaning, and whining about it. Make that ? happen. If not, then shut the ? up, and deal with it.

original.gif