Better rapper Vol. 32: Ghostface or Jay-Z

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    I'd say Fishscale is probably more widely believed to be better than BPW.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Post a Ghostface quotable right now off the top of your head, i bet you can't. The random gibberish the ? spits ya'll call lyrics, ? please. Ghost flow is dope, so is his delivery, and storytelling but the ? don't be spitting lyrics like that. Plus damn near all the ? albums are carbon copy of each album, just soul samples and storytelling.

So we're just saying anything to make a argument now?

This dude just Ghost don't have lyrics? LMAO!!!!! Everyone in the Wu has lyrics and Ghost is arguably the illest one.

Then he implied Ghost don't have quotables, when his whole style is quotables.

FF to 2:43. Typical Ghost verse where he steals the show. (Rae did murder this ? though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OmS51lDEYg

... Then he took it even further and said his albums sound the same, when that's far from the truth. From Ironman, SC, BPW, Pretty Toney, Fishcale, the R&B joint, his new musical ? etc. NONE of that ? sounds alike. All crazy different sounds.

And to counter the gibberish ? , step your mental game up dun. You should be able to follow along based on the context clues. That's part of what makes Rae and Ghost so dope.

Instead of saying, "hey girl what's up I saw you over there with your home-girls," Ghost will say, "Yo honey dip, summertime fine, jewelry dripping, seen you on Pickens with a bunch of chickens how you're clicking." It's nothing more than creative wordplay mixed with some slang, and it's not that hard to follow.

Btw he does have countless tracks where he raps "normal."
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    "Portfolio lookin scampy in the pantry, my man got bigger dimes son, your ? is stampeed" Big Ghost
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    jono wrote: »
    a quotable out of context wouldn't be good, Ghost isn't that kind of MC you need context to grasp what he saying but at the same time....

? are trippin though, Ghost raps with no form at times and its total stream of consciousness stuff that really seems to make no sense. The ? rhymes and its well delivered but he really aint saying ? .

How does Ghost rap with no form when the ? rhymes? Who do you know writes ANYTHING down that doesn't make sense?

If the ? rhymes, and flows together well, then he's obviously fully conscious of what he's writing. So I'm pretty sure, we can come to a conclusion that y'all simply can't fit the pieces of the puzzle together, or that y'all simply can't follow his style.

Btw I find it funny that when JayZ or Lupe does it, it's genius, yet when Ghost does it, it's gibberish SMH.

SN: He has a countless number of tracks where he raps "normal" so bringing up that whole point is just being picky, since it's just one of his styles.
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Fun fact. Cinema icon director Quentin Tarintino named Ghostface Killah as one of his two favorite writers the other is Walt Witman.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    a quotable out of context wouldn't be good, Ghost isn't that kind of MC you need context to grasp what he saying but at the same time....

? are trippin though, Ghost raps with no form at times and its total stream of consciousness stuff that really seems to make no sense. The ? rhymes and its well delivered but he really aint saying ? .

How does Ghost rap with no form when the ? rhymes? Who do you know writes ANYTHING down that doesn't make sense?

If the ? rhymes, and flows together well, then he's obviously fully conscious of what he's writing. So I'm pretty sure, we can come to a conclusion that y'all simply can't fit the pieces of the puzzle together, or that y'all simply can't follow his style.

Btw I find it funny that when JayZ or Lupe does it, it's genius, yet when Ghost does it, it's gibberish SMH.

SN: He has a countless number of tracks where he raps "normal" so bringing up that whole point is just being picky, since it's just one of his styles.

Well point 1 should be we not talking about Lupe but jay vs ghost and jay doesn't do that.
    Point 2 on this same topic is that I never said it was gibberish, I said it doesn't make sense. Point 3...same topic, for the sake of discussion I've seen people nitpick Lupe for the same reason but claim to love Ghost.

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Jays 3 best LPs RD BP1 Life and Times Hard Knock Life vol2 or maybe Black album vs Ghost best 3 Ironman Supreme Clientele and umm.
    .Bullet Proof Wallets?

You are a complete ? idiot. You are hip hop dumb.

? aint even heard Ghost albums talkin bout bulletproof wallets. What about Pretty Toney, Dough Rehab, Fish Scale, Apollo kids.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    This ? said Ghostface got the better wordplay, I'm out.

But.... I'll leave this here, first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTntnTBjOLs
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Jays 3 best LPs RD BP1 Life and Times Hard Knock Life vol2 or maybe Black album vs Ghost best 3 Ironman Supreme Clientele and umm.
    .Bullet Proof Wallets?

You are a complete ? idiot. You are hip hop dumb.

? aint even heard Ghost albums talkin bout bulletproof wallets. What about Pretty Toney, Dough Rehab, Fish Scale, Apollo kids.
    Totally forgot about Fishscale on there. Knew I would get scorched for that. But Jays Best LP's as an aggregate win over Ghostfaces best.

• CoolJoe
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Show me a track that Ghost has done that's matching up to what Jay did on Lyrical Exercise.
    I'm talking flow, lyrics, delivery, concept, everything.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    Ghost is my favourite, so i'm gonna vote him ahead of everybody. To me he IS the GOAT.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    Well point 1 should be we not talking about Lupe but jay vs ghost and jay doesn't do that.
    Point 2 on this same topic is that I never said it was gibberish, I said it doesn't make sense. Point 3...same topic, for the sake of discussion I've seen people nitpick Lupe for the same reason but claim to love Ghost.

-Lol @ JayZ doesn't do that. You must only be accustomed to the new JayZ. Have you not heard the dead president series? grammy family? beach chair? history? blue magic? etc. Actually when Lupe first came out, he reminded me of Jay a little bit. Even Jay himself said that's why he was trying to sign him. Lupe reminded JayZ of himself.

-It doesn't make sense to YOU, but it makes sense to Ghost and fans who can follow along and understand what's going on.

-Ghost has many styles, so you can nitpick Lupe's Mr. fantastic style and still ? with Ghost with no hypocrisy.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    I dare anyone to find a rapper with more swag than Ghost

It's been pretty much over in terms of swag since 1999, when Apollo Kids came out.

tumblr_mkpdyjTy3p1s7jfbco1_500.png

That ice cream bar and the whole video was just a testament to how no one can ? with him.
  • CoolJoe
    Options
  • drsnappple
    drsnappple Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    I like Ghost music but Jay along with Nas, Pac, Rakim, etc are a handful of the mc's who are definite top 10 material. Ghost ain't nowhere near no top ten rapper, he ain't even the best mc in Wu, that goes to GZA.

Unless you're taking it back to the 80s, I don't see how you can name 10 emcees nicer than Ghost. Especially since Ghost has the longevity, the impact, and the quality music.

Post a Ghostface quotable right now off the top of your head, i bet you can't. The random gibberish the ? spits ya'll call lyrics, ? please. Ghost flow is dope, so is his delivery, and storytelling but the ? don't be spitting lyrics like that. Plus damn near all the ? albums are carbon copy of each album, just soul samples and storytelling.

Ghost has been off the "gibberish" lyrical style for over a decade now.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    For some strange reason, 'Tom Ford' been playing in my head for a minute . ..

LOL
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Nah Son wrote: »
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I would try and state a case why jay is better but seeing as how this is the IC aka the capital of jay z hate it wouldn't make a difference so I'm not even gonna try and waste my time

*Kanye shrug*

Yea ? lay down.

Bruh you need to drop the ? slang

He's a ? ..its well known on the ic streets
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Show me a track that Ghost has done that's matching up to what Jay did on Lyrical Exercise.
    I'm talking flow, lyrics, delivery, concept, everything.

Lyrical Exercise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUya2EdZqc

Beat the Clock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCS15iuU57U

Their flows were pretty much equal.
    Jay's lyrics were a little better.
    Ghost's delivery was better and more dynamic throughout the song.
    Neither concept was all that spectacular, but I'd give Jay an edge there.

Either way, the tracks were comparable in quality. The difference was, as a Jay fan Lyrical exercise was a track you felt was so good that it needed to be mentioned as something Ghost couldn't mess with. As a Ghost fan, Beat the Clock isn't even all that good of a Ghost track and it still shows that Ghost could hang with Jay in any area you wanted. But we can do this all day. Post a Jay track you think is top notch, and I'll post one of Ghost's that I think can match it. I bet you I can find tracks that are at least comparable to what Jay did. If it was flipped though, Ghost got tracks that Jay has nothing comparable to.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    G. They told me I should come down cousin, but I flatly refused I aint dumb down nothin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAjrXyoT7E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    Ghost lost...but the ? is still the Wally Champ though Nah Mean.
  • CoolJoe
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ghostface Killah
    CoolJoe wrote: »

22 Twos is a dope song and good concept. I can't even front on that. Forty Four Fours is a recycled concept and inferior to the original. I'm not even sure why you even post as a testament to him. Anyway, I'll give you 22 Twos. It's not that I don't think Ghost has better songs than that, but I don't think Ghost has a better concept than that one. I could post songs that I think were better, but it would be Apples and Oranges honestly and lyrical exercises like what Jay did in that song is an area where I'll freely admit he's better.

Aight, your turn though. Find me a song where Jay spits a story as good as Shakey Dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_BsCiJ6Sc
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Ghost ain't even have the biggest impact out of his whole crew, yet he top 10. SMH