Rick Ross, why hasn't he crossed over?

Options

Comments

• Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ummm Poetic Justice was bigger than Swimming Pools. And guess who was on Poetic Justice...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ummm Poetic Justice was bigger than Swimming Pools. And guess who was on Poetic Justice...

Swimming Pools peaked @ 17 on the Hot 100 and is a platinum single. "Poetic Justice" peaked @ 26 and has yet to be certified.

Swimming Pools was also a number 1 rap song number 3 on the r&b charts while Poetic Justice charted lower respectably
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i coulda sworn I heard poetic justice more than swimmin pools...
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He tried, but a million people will never get behind this fake ass ? who sells lies and death to the black community... lol at the ones who think he's doing us any favors
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He tried, but a million people will never get behind this fake ass ? who sells lies and death to the black community... lol at the ones who think he's doing us any favors
    Do you really think people still care about that? Rappers like Rick Ross and to a lesser extent Drake can sustain in today's climate. I think people cared for the fact he lied about it and is Always in character like he's ashamed of who he is.

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U actually hear people bumping Ross!
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Give me one quotable. Give me one memorable verse he spit. I liked his verse on that joint with G-Rap and liked his verse on Freemasons but he hasn't impressed me since. It's like he keeps spitting the same verse lkike alot of rappers are doing. This brother should be bigger than he is now but @A1000MILES explained it well. Rozay is getting it how he can and I can't be mad at him for that. I'da done the same if I was him......
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    Give me one quotable. Give me one memorable verse he spit. I liked his verse on that joint with G-Rap and liked his verse on Freemasons but he hasn't impressed me since. It's like he keeps spitting the same verse lkike alot of rappers are doing. This brother should be bigger than he is now but @A1000MILES explained it well. Rozay is getting it how he can and I can't be mad at him for that. I'da done the same if I was him......

? don't ? my vibe
    uoeno
    hold me back
    ima boss
    that way
    oil money gang
    fuckwitmeyouknowigotit
    devil in a new dress
  • Muhannad
    Options
    You posting tracks but give me specific lines or verses. To anyone. Can you listen to this n*gga acapella?
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'm growing my cheddar
    My champagne warm
    I had to struggle to make it
    I die for my charm
    Used to call me dyslexic it was a challenge to read
    Mother held me at night until I finally achieved
    Sometimes I look in the mirror I can't believe I'm alive
    Disrespectful to ? who wanna take me alive
    Wishing death on you ? we never see eye to eye
    Some how I pray for you ?
    At the very same time
    See I was raised in the South
    You helped your brother to shine
    I watched everything change
    In a blink of an eye
    Rappers wanna be ballers
    Ballers wanna be rappers
    When the liquor endorsements worth more than your masters
    Here's a toast to Ciroc
    All my boys on the block
    I might be ? on the couch
    But I'm raisin' the bar
    Ugh huh raisin' the bar
    I'm just raisin' the bar ugh huh
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Options
    Rappers don't typically cross over on their own. There is usually a universal demand for their music which may then cause them to make more music that caters to a broader audience outside of the hip hop community, aka cross over. With that said, there is no universal demand for Rick Ross' music. The majority of his fans are in a very small demographic. He found his niche and stuck to it, I'll give him that, but that is the reason he will never be able to cross over if he wanted to.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    his run is almost up anyway, so its really irrelevant that he does or not

the age of super lyrical rap is here. He is gonna burn out completely by the end of 2014.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers don't typically cross over on their own. There is usually a universal demand for their music which may then cause them to make more music that caters to a broader audience outside of the hip hop community, aka cross over. With that said, there is no universal demand for Rick Ross' music. The majority of his fans are in a very small demographic. He found his niche and stuck to it, I'll give him that, but that is the reason he will never be able to cross over if he wanted to.

Most of his fans are the ones that yearn for a street perspective that has been missing since the post-Kanye era.
  • BrilliantRapscallion
    BrilliantRapscallion Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Rick Ross hasn't crossed over, because he has no credibility, and all of the killer beats in this world can't mask his shitastic flow cringe-inducing delivery. Granted he isn't completely talentless, but he sure as hell skates that line.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

couldn't agree more,the title of this thread should be ? are stupid because they constantly behind ? who sold their souls for fame. this thread is a testimony to how dumb ? are. I hate the reason they should call this forum ? riders anonymous.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think the only single he's had that coulda really crossed over like that anyway is "Tha Boss"
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

couldn't agree more,the title of this thread should be ? are stupid because they constantly behind ? who sold their souls for fame. this thread is a testimony to how dumb ? are. I hate the reason they should call this forum ? riders anonymous.

damn bruh, why u still here then?

n/h
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick Ross selling a fake persona probably helps him more than it hurts. Even in the 90's, rappers selling a persona sold more than them being themselves. For example:

Illmatic captured Nas's reality, but he crossed over with the Escobar persona on It Was Written. In fact, his more personal albums have sold less.

Reasonable Doubt revealed pieces of Shawn Carter, but him following the Shiny Suit formula on Vol. 1, and rocking over an Annie sample on Vol. 2 were far more successful.

Ready To Die gave us Christopher Wallace, but Life After Death gave us Frank White, which proved to be the album that pushed him to even higher heights.

Dr. Dre said he didn't smoke weed, but The Chronic and Chronic 2001 are the end all, be all of his rap career.

^^^ The difference is most of those are classic albums.

With Rick Ross, he's been successful with selling the persona. Where he went wrong is deviating from that persona by trying to sell himself as a sex symbol. He started making songs that catered to females, but didn't connect.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Lyor Kohen says youre the hottest, youve crossed over.....
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.I's what you know about that was the crossover? I could have swore that it was 'whatever you like', 'live your life ft rhianna', let's stop fronting and captainin for T.I...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    i think bring em out and what u know at least knocked on that door, but watever u like was a full blown crossover
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.I's what you know about that was the crossover? I could have swore that it was 'whatever you like', 'live your life ft rhianna', let's stop fronting and captainin for T.I...

"What You Know" is a Grammy Award-winning multi platinum hip hop song by Southern hip hop recording artist T.I., released as the lead single from his fourth studio album King (2006). The song also serves as the theme song to the 2006 film ATL in which T.I. stars in. The song is also played during the end credits of the film and the music video is included as a bonus feature on the DVD. The song peaked at number three in the US and was certified 2x Platinum by the RIAA.

What You Know" won for "Best Rap Solo Performance" and was nominated for "Best Rap Song" at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards.

VIBE named T.I.'s "What You Know" as the Top Song of 2006.

It was also ranked fourth on a similar list by Rolling Stone [1], and was #1 in Muchmusic's Top HipHop 2006 List.[7]

Pitchfork Media ranked "What You Know" #3 on their "Top Tracks of 2006" list, while T.I.'s collaboration on Justin Timberlake's song "My Love" was ranked #1.[8]

The song is one of the most critically acclaimed of 2006 (arguably T.I.'s most critically acclaimed song), and is one of T.I.'s most successful. It has garnered a 5-star rating from Pitchfork Media.[9]

The song peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100, and it also topped the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.

It is ranked the 338th best song of all time, 8th of 2006, and 42nd of the 2000s decade by Acclaimedmusic.net.[10]

In 2008, it was ranked number 68 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_you_know_about_that

^^^ How is that song not a crossover hit? It may not be as big as "Live Ya Life", "Whatever You Like" or "Dead and Gone", but it's still a crossover. The same way "Hard Knock Life" isn't as big as "Empire State of Mind" or "Run This Town", but it's still the song that crossed Jay over to the mainstream.

• Muhannad
    Options
    Rick Ross selling a fake persona probably helps him more than it hurts. Even in the 90's, rappers selling a persona sold more than them being themselves. For example:

Illmatic captured Nas's reality, but he crossed over with the Escobar persona on It Was Written. In fact, his more personal albums have sold less.

Reasonable Doubt revealed pieces of Shawn Carter, but him following the Shiny Suit formula on Vol. 1, and rocking over an Annie sample on Vol. 2 were far more successful.

Ready To Die gave us Christopher Wallace, but Life After Death gave us Frank White, which proved to be the album that pushed him to even higher heights.

Dr. Dre said he didn't smoke weed, but The Chronic and Chronic 2001 are the end all, be all of his rap career.

^^^ The difference is most of those are classic albums.

With Rick Ross, he's been successful with selling the persona. Where he went wrong is deviating from that persona by trying to sell himself as a sex symbol. He started making songs that catered to females, but didn't connect.
    You can look at it that way, but I think the difference between the rappers you mentioned and Ross is Ross stays in character 24/7. This dude actually acts like he is a rapping druglord. Whenever he gets interviewd he filibusters and rambles on about BS.
    It's not like Nas was acting like Nas Escobar whenever he made public appearances. Dre didn't acft like he was a gangbanger when interviewd. Ross lacks charisma and him being in character 24/7 makes the audience not connect with him.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Nggas gon miss ross when he gone. LOl Nah forreal, aint no other ngga usin them type beats.

And he 'gets it'. While other nggas is grabbin 2 Chainz and Future for their hooks, this ngga got Erykah Badu, Rapheal Saadiq, and fukin Teedra Moses. TEEDRA MOSES

Soulful music.