Rakim is a GOAT, but the spots are filled
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...still play "Let the Rhythym Hit Em" and "Know the Ledge" to this day
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in social sciences... there isnt a "top 5 doa"...
    u start with the originator and u do like a family tree type thing...
    this is what hip hop heads should start doing... it'll b more productive...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Jay and Doom though?
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ra is my default number 1
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    respecting and recognizing their influence on the game and your actual favorite rappers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>puttin them in a top 10 list just because they came first when u dont even like and listen to their music

Yet another Remedial poster. It's not the fact that they came first. It's the facts of what they did for and to the art form is still being done today. So, how you disrespectful retards continue to argue for artists who aren't even original is beyond me.
  • dwade206
    Options
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Jay and Doom though?

Did I stutter, ? ?
  • Kwan Dai
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Melle Mel +Rakim + Grap + Slick Rick= Nas

BDK+Moe Dee = Jay

BDK+ Spoonie G + Slick Rick = Big

Melle Mel+ Rakim+Grap + Slick Rick = Ghostface

Melle Mel + Rakim + Chuck D + native tounge = MFDOOM

None of your top five exists or even has a career without their predecessors who weren't just MC's but creators of an entire genre. I will always give the nod to the architect who crafted the blue print over the builder who just followed them.

• dwade206
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Melle Mel +Rakim= Nas + Grap + Slick Rick

BDK+Moe Dee = Jay

None of your top five exists or even has a career without their predecessors who weren't just MC's but creators of an entire genre. I will always give the nod to the architect who crafted the blue print over the builder who just followed them.

That's great, but I didn't ask you for a breakdown of my top 5. Its pointless since were all influenced by someone else and all mc's I listed are credible
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Melle Mel +Rakim= Nas + Grap + Slick Rick

BDK+Moe Dee = Jay

That's great, but I didn't ask you for a breakdown of my top 5. Its pointless since were all influenced by someone else and all mc's I listed are credible

I know you didn't ask. I thought it important to point out how remedial Hip Hop bystanders are the worse.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim fathered your favorite rapper's style. Show some gotdamn respect!!!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    just cause your influenced by someone doesnt mean that u cant be better than that person.

i Rank Nas higher than Ra and everyone knows Nas got his style from the R.

I Rank Esco's higher cause ive grown up and witnessed Nas music first hand and i always have memories of them time frames i cant really do that with Rakim's music I can listen to it but it just doesnt Marinate.

? is similar to DR.J and MJ, MJ got his game from the DR but he took it to the next level.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

Indeed. What's crazy is, these dunces are talking about inspiration. MC's like Big, Pac, Nas, Jay etc are damn near carbon copies of their predecessors. Whether it be flow, dress, subject matter, style or cadence. Acting like the cats that came after the creators are doing something absolutely different.

• nex gin
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

I think this is a solid way of looking at it.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how somebody can have Big and Pac in their top 5 or top 10 when they only made music for 4 years. And then say they don't like or listen to Rakim because he hasn't stayed relevant.

Between 86-92, Rakim was easily on of the nicest MCs in the industry. how can you logically discredit Rakim when he had a solid run from 86-92 with 4 albums that were each 4 mics or better?

Anyway, I'll list 10 MCs from the 80s

1. Melle Mel
    2. Rakim
    3. Kool Moe Dee
    4. LL Cool J
    5. KRS One
    6. Slick Rick
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    8. Kool G Rap
    9. Spoonie G
    10. Grandmaster Caz

If you're not up on those guys you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    just cause your influenced by someone doesnt mean that u cant be better than that person.

I Rank Esco's higher cause ive grown up and witnessed Nas music first hand and i always have memories of them time frames i cant really do that with Rakim's music I can listen to it but it just doesnt Marinate.

? is similar to DR.J and MJ, MJ got his game from the DR but he took it to the next level.

Reasonable argument. But where I take issue with this line of reason is, Nas and others weren't just influenced. They totally styled themselves after certain MC's.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

I think this is a solid way of looking at it.

I agree. This is why I suggested earlier. The top spots are reserved for the creators and innovators then, you fill in from there.

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Dont see too much "disrespecting" in here. Granted i aint gon go through all of 8 pages but i been in and out of here. Its just people displaying anger because everybody aint a robot with the same opinions but Thats life. You can type till your blue in the face but everybody aint gon look at any rapper the same or change cause you try to force it. In fact the opposite happens. You may like Rakim or whoever but everybody dont feel the same way. Yall aint figured this simple fact out yet?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question!..
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Dont see too much "disrespecting" in here. Granted i aint gon go through all of 8 pages but i been in and out of here. Its just people displaying anger because everybody aint a robot with the same opinions but Thats life. You can type till your blue in the face but everybody aint gon look at any rapper the same or change cause you try to force it. In fact the opposite happens. You may like Rakim or whoever but everybody dont feel the same way. Yall aint figured this simple fact out yet?

What is your reason for posting? You have never contributed anything of value to a discussion. Ever.

This isn't about how some one feels or who some one likes. It's obvious in your pointless wisdom you haven't figured this out yet.

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    he was before my time so although i can listen to his music and what not its not the same as living it and experiencing it first hand for me.

although he isnt in my top 5 i wont argue with him being considered top 5

Hes in my top 5 and ahead of my time hes just that good and even he new ? is still dope

But let's be honest you're a wannabe hip-hop head.

I know your type. He's in your top because you wanna seem credible. I'm not saying he shouldn't be but i know i'm right about you.

Don't assume things
    I'm not no wannabe hip hop head cause I don't listen to no one from the 80s but Rakim/NWA and DOC.

I real life play Rakim all the time I'm not no fake ass Rakim fan
  • nex gin
    Options

Indeed. What's crazy is, these dunces are talking about inspiration. MC's like Big, Pac, Nas, Jay etc are damn near carbon copies of their predecessors. Whether it be flow, dress, subject matter, style or cadence. Acting like the cats that came after the creators are doing something absolutely different.

Exactly. I grew up listening to Rakim, Kool G, Big Daddy Kane, KRS, Run DMC, etc. I try not to even include them in top 5 convos cause these dudes are in a whole other category of greatness. Their legacy & influence cannot be disputed. They are the inspiration for these nigguh's top 5 MCs. Even in 2013 Ra still ? on most of these dudes lyrically. Same goes for Kane and Kool G imo. I remember listening to Kool Gs verse on The Realest & thinking "gotdamn he still spittin"...and that was back in like 99.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This^^
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, you have to grow up with an artist to know he's nice?

That's not biased?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bottom line is that Nas, Jay, Wu Tang, Big, Eminem, 2 Pac, Ghostface and all the 90s rappers grew up listening to 80s rappers. The rappers from the 2000s grew up listening to 90s rappers and the current generation of rappers grew up listening to the rappers from the 2000s.

The only difference is that some of the older cats like Jay and Nas are still around. Ask them who they listened to in high school. Damn sure wasn't 50 Cent or Eminem.