Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Rakim is a GOAT, but the spots are filled

Melle Mel +Rakim= Nas + Grap + Slick Rick

BDK+Moe Dee = Jay

BDK+ Spoonie G + Slick Rick = Big

Melle Mel+ Rakim+Grap + Slick Rick = Ghostface

Melle Mel + Rakim + Chuck D + native tounge = MFDOOM

None of your top five exists or even has a career without their predecessors who weren't just MC's but creators of an entire genre. I will always give the nod to the architect who crafted the blue print over the builder who just followed them.

That's great, but I didn't ask you for a breakdown of my top 5. Its pointless since were all influenced by someone else and all mc's I listed are credible

I know you didn't ask. I thought it important to point out how remedial Hip Hop bystanders are the worse.

Shut the ? up
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Nas
    Jay
    Big
    Ghostface
    MF DOOM

Rakim is a GOAT, but the spots are filled

Melle Mel +Rakim= Nas + Grap + Slick Rick

BDK+Moe Dee = Jay

BDK+ Spoonie G + Slick Rick = Big

Melle Mel+ Rakim+Grap + Slick Rick = Ghostface

Melle Mel + Rakim + Chuck D + native tounge = MFDOOM

None of your top five exists or even has a career without their predecessors who weren't just MC's but creators of an entire genre. I will always give the nod to the architect who crafted the blue print over the builder who just followed them.

That's great, but I didn't ask you for a breakdown of my top 5. Its pointless since were all influenced by someone else and all mc's I listed are credible

I know you didn't ask. I thought it important to point out how remedial Hip Hop bystanders are the worse.

Shut the ? up

Yup remedial.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    For my man that threw Ghostface in his top 5. "? don't even add up"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-eyZR6u9EA
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    respecting and recognizing their influence on the game and your actual favorite rappers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>puttin them in a top 10 list just because they came first when u dont even like and listen to their music

Yet another Remedial poster. It's not the fact that they came first. It's the facts of what they did for and to the art form is still being done today. So, how you disrespectful retards continue to argue for artists who aren't even original is beyond me.

u just another ? boy, u do all this postin about real hip hop and ? , tryna make people respect who u love and the pioneers and ? , instead of realizing they already do, they just dont worship em like u do, then u have the nerve to come off like ur more knowledgeable, but u dont drop no got damn knowledge all u do is down talk ? with a different opinion than yours, then u spend all day on here cryin and callin people "remedial" and ? , hell if u cant take other people have a different opinion than u ole man, go find u something else to do

i respect what they did for the art, as i said in the thread and many other times, if u cant accept that im still not gon put them in my playlist just cuz they the forefathers, than thats on u, ? ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    these ? are idiots, i got jay as one of my goats but since rakim influenced his style i gotta rank him higher automatically, FOH, its like sayin MJ was the goat b-ball player, but since naismith invented game, i gotta rank him higher AUTOMATICALLY, u ? got rakim and the like as your goats, thats awesome, ill go with the jay-z's nas's and outkast's, whats so wrong wit that
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim can actually rap and has great songs.

You guys put in him in the same boat as like ? who can't make songs or kept rhyming cat and hat.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2013
    Options
    oh i kno he can rap, i might not feel his songs but i know he can rap and has a mean flow, i think he's a big influence on my one of my fav rapper killa cam, but that dont mean ima put rakim as my new favorite rapper just cuz he may have inspired cam
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, Kane had to influence that ? .

He has way too many multis.
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rakim a muthaphukkin legend & is in mah top 10 rappers fo sho!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvK-wHrt1g
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    respecting and recognizing their influence on the game and your actual favorite rappers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>puttin them in a top 10 list just because they came first when u dont even like and listen to their music

Yet another Remedial poster. It's not the fact that they came first. It's the facts of what they did for and to the art form is still being done today. So, how you disrespectful retards continue to argue for artists who aren't even original is beyond me.

u just another ? boy, u do all this postin about real hip hop and ? , tryna make people respect who u love and the pioneers and ? , instead of realizing they already do, they just dont worship em like u do, then u have the nerve to come off like ur more knowledgeable, but u dont drop no got damn knowledge all u do is down talk ? with a different opinion than yours, then u spend all day on here cryin and callin people "remedial" and ? , hell if u cant take other people have a different opinion than u ole man, go find u something else to do

i respect what they did for the art, as i said in the thread and many other times, if u cant accept that im still not gon put them in my playlist just cuz they the forefathers, than thats on u, ? ?

So you've stepped it up a notch. So, we have a remedial tough guy. I have no problem conceding to another who is more knowledgeable or smarter then myself. Unfortunately you're just not that person.

Let's take look at how I come to these conclusions about your kind.

Find where I typed REAL Hip Hop vs. Fake. Don't worry. I didn't.

Find where I suggested anyone worship a Man. Don't worry. I didn't.

Find where I demanded, even suggested that you or lame buddies put the forefathers in your playlist. Don't worry. I didn't

So, lets add LIAR to your title of remedial tough guy.

I don't deal with emotional men who hide behind their feelings and weak opinions based on absolutely nothing. You aren't bright enough to comprehend that this has nothing to do with my like or dislikes. But since you govern your pathetic self based on feelings and opinions I will stoop to your 5th grade level.

I actually LIKE and PREFER Nas to Rakim. I have more Nas material then I do Rakim. I consider Nas to be a better all around MC then Rakim. Perhaps the Greatest ever. I LIKE and PREFER Mos Def over KRS and Melle Mel. I think Mos Def's Social commentary along with his Skill is above Melle Mel and KRS. I LIKE and PREFER Ghostface to Kool G Rap. I think Ghost is more entertaining and slightly more skilled. These are my likes and Opinions for you ? made emotional Hip Hop bystanders.

So, here's my lesson and knowledge. You ? made 4 to a class room remedial little girl. It's not about WHO I LIKE or THINK IS BETTER. It's about respect, honor and integrity. If, you had any you would have understood from the outset that certain things IN BLACK culture should just be and we should feel obligated to maintain. One of those is Hip Hop culture and the brother and sisters who made this thing what it is should always sit at the top regardless of MY opinion or your opinion of who we think is better, hotter etc. But I suspect you being a fatherless chi chi man know nothing of Honor, respect and integrity. All you care about is your feelings and baseless opinions.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    these ? are idiots, i got jay as one of my goats but since rakim influenced his style i gotta rank him higher automatically, FOH, its like sayin MJ was the goat b-ball player, but since naismith invented game, i gotta rank him higher AUTOMATICALLY, u ? got rakim and the like as your goats, thats awesome, ill go with the jay-z's nas's and outkast's, whats so wrong wit that

Nothing is wrong with it. It just makes you remedial. No one is ranking Rakim, and others automatically. What part of creator and innovator don't you comprehend? How do you give more credit to the followers of a blueprint then the person that actually created the blueprint? This isn't a matter of influence. This is straight up IDOLIZING, and MODELING one self after some one else. That's not simply an influence. That is a copy.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

I actually LIKE and PREFER Nas to Rakim. I have more Nas material then I do Rakim. I consider Nas to be a better all around MC then Rakim. Perhaps the Greatest ever. I LIKE and PREFER Mos Def over KRS and Melle Mel. I think Mos Def's Social commentary along with his Skill is above Melle Mel and KRS. I LIKE and PREFER Ghostface to Kool G Rap. I think Ghost is more entertaining and slightly more skilled. These are my likes and Opinions(ok so shut the ? up talkin bout ? must have them ? in they top 5-10)

You ? made 4 to a class room remedial little girl.(damn are ur kids goin thru this ? or something?)

this is the main thing i took from a post from a ? who lives to call others remedial, im not obligated to do ? ? , i respect them because i know what they contributed, nothing more and nothing less, im not gonna pretend like i worship them just because of it tho, and ur whole post and pretty much everything uve posted in this thread is pretty much useless because if u paid attention to my post or any of the others who u say are my buddies, u'd know that we have respect for those forefathers, so its really no need for u to continue, find u some reading glasses old man
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Nothing is wrong with it. It just makes you remedial. No one is ranking Rakim, and others automatically. What part of creator and innovator don't you comprehend? How do you give more credit to the followers of a blueprint then the person that actually created the blueprint? This isn't a matter of influence. This is straight up IDOLIZING, and MODELING one self after some one else. That's not simply an influence. That is a copy.

im not giving anyone more credit for just following or idolizing, im giving them credit because i feel like they took that model, molded it into their own style, made it modern, and enhanced it and made it better than the forefathers who laid the groundwork, they took it to another higher level imo, all while recognizing who influenced them
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

im not giving anyone more credit for just following or idolizing, im giving them credit because i feel like they took that model, molded it into their own style, made it modern, and enhanced it and made it better than the forefathers who laid the groundwork, they took it to another higher level imo, all while recognizing who influenced them

More feelings I see. And using words that do not apply. These dudes weren't just Influenced. They copied. That's a huge difference. I'm not going to argue this better or worse. I already stated my opinion on better etc. Bottom line is, you and anyone who thinks like you are fools. And it's nothing but a lack of respect, honor and integrity. In addition to feeling left out because, FULLY recognizing and putting the creators in their proper places at the top totally wipes out your limited history of the Hip Hop you have been fed.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    rofl, i think IF i had feelings in any post, outta all the posts that one might have had the least, u might need reading glasses for real bruh, lol @ me not puttin the FOREFATHERS in their proper place, having a lack of respect and honor, and feeling left out, seems like ur the one who feels left out because some ? the FOREFATHERS influenced wanted to go hard in the 90's and take things to another level, how can ? hate on PROGRESSION, smh
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol we all fools bruhs
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Nah, Kane had to influence that ? .

He has way too many multis.

G Rap's multis >>>>
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, I rank him as the best rapper of all time. The GOAT. #2 is 'Pac on my list. Rakim was the ? MC. He's not in my personal top 5 anymore but he is venerated for what he's done.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

More feelings I see. And using words that do not apply. These dudes weren't just Influenced. They copied. That's a huge difference. I'm not going to argue this better or worse. I already stated my opinion on better etc. Bottom line is, you and anyone who thinks like you are fools. And it's nothing but a lack of respect, honor and integrity. In addition to feeling left out because, FULLY recognizing and putting the creators in their proper places at the top totally wipes out your limited history of the Hip Hop you have been fed.

You supposed to be an OG hip hop head, but can't even respect someone with a different opinion? You talking about someone catching feelings, but you the only one with the name calling condescending bs in your posts, fall back with that ? . You can have respect for the innovators and just feel that personally that they're not a top 5 mc. Really they should be sat to the side in their own category to be highly esteemed. Hell using your logic it shouldn't even be anybody in the top 5 that came in the game after 1990. Now how foolish that sound? Exactly. Respect time and progression, if I take your style put my twist on it and do it 100 times better than you then that's what it is. You should be respected for innovating, but you have no right to sit ahead of me in the rankings of the best.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's a great point and I agree.

It's like Michael Jackson is often acknowledged as the greatest to ever do it, but he followed the blueprint of greats before him. Although he followed the blueprint of James Brown, Jackie Wilson, and Fred Astaire, he took that blueprint and enhanced it. Does him following the blueprints of pioneers automatically discredit him being the greatest?
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    #1. Biggie
    #2. Tupac
    #3. Jay Z
    #4. NaS
    #5. Rakim
    #6. LL Cool J
    #7. Ice Cube
    #8. Big Daddy Kane
    #9. KRS-One
    #10. Scarface/Kool G Rap (Tie)

This is my personal Top 10 and Rakim is most def Top 5, at the very worst Top 10 all time. He cannot leave the Top 10. He was too influencial and too impactful. The only real knock on Rakim is that he disappeared in the 90's which opened the door for the West to take over and Biggie, NaS and Wu had to clean up the mess for the Eastcoast. Outside of that what can be said? He has Classic albums. He changed Lyricism in Hip Hop. His flow was amazing.

As someone who was only a young 80's child when Rakim ruled, I was still able to grow up on him due to my father and older brothers. He's a Hip Hop Iconic Legend. By the time I was old enough to even understand his Impact, I realized that one of my favorite rappers of all time NaS is basically Rakim's son. Doesn't mean he didn't surpass him but it's debatable if he did. Rakim literally fathered so many styles and emcees it's crazy. Yes, the NY Holy Hip Hop Trinity learned from Rakim.

Big, Jay and NaS all studied at Rakim University. Yes Rakim's solo work hasn't been the greatest but "18th Letter" was dope. "The Master" and "7th Seal" were uneven but that doesn't take away from his Classics and other work. Ironically my favorite Rakim song wasn't till one of his last albums. It was also on the Soundtrack to "Juice". The song played at the beginning of the movie and it was the song that when I was only 11 year old I really discovered the genius of Rakim. Sure he was at the end of his run at this point but it showed he still had it. I'm glad Rakim let me know what Know-the-Ledge is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkWYTUiPTo
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Like someone said above, ? need to separate ''pioneer's'' from ''top 5 or top 10". No way in hell is those pioneers ? with some of these new dudes, it's like comparing a Model T Ford to a 2013 Lambo. You respect that the Model T is the first but lets be real now.

Ya'll really think Melle Mel, Rakim, Kurtis Blow, Busy Bee, Kool Mo Dee,etc ? Lupe, Nas, Jay,Kendrick,etc.

Older dudes get my respect though.

KOOL G RAP COULD would destroy kendrick and jay-z and maybe even nas

Maybe at straight bars, but we all know bars alone doesn't make you a great mc does it. All those dudes i listed are true artist, not just bar spitters.

you're right...don't judge an emcee by his bars...judge him by how much he likes tricking...(i mean)...making it rain... and how much twerking a ? like and ? like that...clown ass ?

None of my favorite mcs does that. Jay doesn't do that, Nas doesn't do that, 3000 doesn't do that.

I hate having convo with ? ? like you because ya'll always go to the extreme, i don't listen to garbage rappers. Ya'll are so ? predictable!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn

A Rakim thread gone plat on The Reason

Who would've known?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn

A Rakim thread gone plat on The Reason ..

Who would've known?
  • B.BeST
    B.BeST Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    no art/profession can remain viable if it has no respect for the originators...
    how about we have a separation of the Pioneers and the "top 5"?

the bolded is one of the very reasons this one has become old hotdog water....