The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• guytoosmooth
    guytoosmooth Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to use my air force certification fund before i get out. I found this certificate program on villanovau that will lead me to Security +, SSCP, and CISSP by the time I am done. I have been told I wont get awarded the cissp until i have 5 years experience tho. I aint trying to jump the gun, I'm just trying to get the training on the govt's dime before I get out. I don't want to waste the fund on the lower certs that I can get on my own. I have been told different things, that getting the cissp b4 I get out is a good move, and I've been told that I should just get all the entry level certs and wait until later in my career to worry about the cissp. I figure if I can go ahead and get it now, why not. What would yall do?
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I know I've been MIA from this thread for a while, but a ? been ouchea grinding.

Never thought it'd happen, but right now I'm making 10k/mo after taxes, ain't start the job yet but when it hit that I'm making this much I started jerking off in the middle of Target with 0 ? given.

I'm giving myself 12 months, and I'm going for 40k/mo after taxes between all of my ventures.

Keep hustling ? .
  • longmeat
    Options
    I'm trying to use my air force certification fund before i get out. I found this certificate program on villanovau that will lead me to Security +, SSCP, and CISSP by the time I am done. I have been told I wont get awarded the cissp until i have 5 years experience tho. I aint trying to jump the gun, I'm just trying to get the training on the govt's dime before I get out. I don't want to waste the fund on the lower certs that I can get on my own. I have been told different things, that getting the cissp b4 I get out is a good move, and I've been told that I should just get all the entry level certs and wait until later in my career to worry about the cissp. I figure if I can go ahead and get it now, why not. What would yall do?

If the government is paying go for it. I got my CISSP and it was the greatest career move I made. I'd recommend reaching out to the ISC (the group who gives out the certification) and see if there's any limitations around passing the exam before qualifying.

When I passed, you needed 5 years of experience in 2 out of the 10 domains. The exam was recently updated so IDK if its changed.
  • longmeat
    Options
    Also, If your goal is the CISSP, don't worry about the Sec+ or SSCP.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so how did most of yall get a start in IT?

i mean first job
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Just a quick update:

Still at the same place and still trying to look for a new job. However just recently I started researching and reading on career management and interview preparation and have been focused on that for a whole month now. It has completely reshaped my perspective on the job interview process and how to sell myself to acquire the position. Thats where my grind is at right now and it has took so much of my time, I haven't applied for a job in over two months. Very soon I will begin to use my newly acquired knowledge in the job market.

Share what you learned homie...
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Just a quick update:

Still at the same place and still trying to look for a new job. However just recently I started researching and reading on career management and interview preparation and have been focused on that for a whole month now. It has completely reshaped my perspective on the job interview process and how to sell myself to acquire the position. Thats where my grind is at right now and it has took so much of my time, I haven't applied for a job in over two months. Very soon I will begin to use my newly acquired knowledge in the job market.

Share what you learned homie...

Remember when I posted that I've been failing in those interviews, well most recently I've been reading these books:

Get-The-Job-You-Want-Even-When-No-Ones-Hiring.jpg

and

cover%20with%20black%20back.png

They have really helped me understand the reason I've failed each and every interview...EVEN IF I was qualified.

http://youtu.be/q-RfmJi-HII
  • black caesar
    Options
    @traestar @longmeat and King Erauno I'm having trouble with static routing. Can you'll give me a step by step guide on how to do this? My test is coming at the end of this for the CCENT (The old one)
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo @blackcaesar check this link

http://networklessons.com/category/ip-routing/page/2/

nice little write up of routing. check the topic of routing and static routing
  • longmeat
    Options
    Damn this thread is dead. What you ? working on?
  • King Erauno
    Options
    im outchea tryin to get a new gig. more money. its remote so i may get another gig on top of that
  • longmeat
    Options
    im outchea tryin to get a new gig. more money. its remote so i may get another gig on top of that

Good luck with the 2nd gig b. I gotta remote one right now. My only problem is my schedule with my 1st job is getting hectic so I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle it all, but either way Ima cook until there's nothing left.
  • traestar
    Options
    Still networking
  • black caesar
    Options
    Well. It's official. I'm taking the ICND1 on Sept 30 which is the last day before the test switches over. Sure not really sure about myself though.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Well. It's official. I'm taking the ICND1 on Sept 30 which is the last day before the test switches over. Sure not really sure about myself though.

what you unsure of? shoot any questions this way

• black caesar
    Options

what you unsure of? shoot any questions this way

Getting the hand of static routing. I used that linked in it helped, but I'm trying to be sharp at it.I'm also try to master troubleshooting.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    not much to it. give me an example that throws you off and ill break it down.
  • traestar
    Options
    I'm starting to learn different ways of networking, and at this time I will look to start from the basics again (college career services, consulting firms, temp agencies, etc.) because now I have to include a bridge job (2nd job). Real soon they are going to have furloughs in the government again and I will have to start grabbing a few jobs.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just passed my 220-801 and have my 220-802 coming up November 5th.
  • Star Nine
    Star Nine Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my interview for ibm was successful so waiting on this recruiter to give me the final details ect.
  • longmeat
    Options
    Star Nine wrote: »
    my interview for ibm was successful so waiting on this recruiter to give me the final details ect.

What you gonna be doing at big blue?

• HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any advice for a dude just starting out in the IT game? I got a couple years of college under my built but didn't have the chance to finish. Figured I could just get some certifications and start that way.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Any advice for a dude just starting out in the IT game? I got a couple years of college under my built but didn't have the chance to finish. Figured I could just get some certifications and start that way.

gotta read the thread bruh...start from the page 1...lots of gems in here
  • traestar
    Options

gotta read the thread bruh...start from the page 1...lots of gems in here

Yep, start reading
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read through the thread. Looks like I'm gonna start from the bottom with the A+ and find a help desk gig. Thing is....I'm not a big study person so I'll have to get into the habit.