The Homeowners Thread

Options
s_a_m_r_i_o
s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is for people who own homes or ones thinking of buying one. I'll ask some questions and you can answer or post whatever info about your homes, tips, etc. I want one within two years.

1.How old were you when you first purchased your home?

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one?

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc)

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.)

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse?

6.What are your joys of being in a home?

#5 is could be an issue for me because I can buy one myself but buying one with a (future) wife, it may be a challenge because us wanting different stuff as far as location, structure and cost of house to name a few.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't answering all of that. ? federale.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? LATE 20'S

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? LOAN (VA)

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc) NOTHING

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.) UMM, NOTHING BUT THE WEEDS IN THE YARD

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? SPOUSE

6.What are your joys of being in a home? YOU AINT PAYING RENT, U CAN CLAIM THAT ON YOUR TAXES.. JUST THE JOYS AND BLESSINGS OF BEING ABLE TO HAVE "YOURS"

#5 is could be an issue for me because I can buy one myself but buying one with a (future) wife, it may be a challenge because us wanting different stuff as far as location, structure and cost of house to name a few.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1- 30
    2- cash and loan
    3- none yet
    4- nosey fukin neighbors
    5-nope
    6- We eatin, i'm out here Lol
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Loan... we had 20% to put down

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc)

I finished the basement abt 8 years ago
    Laundry Room (in basement)
    New garage floor
    New kitchen appliances (full reno next year)
    Painted the entire interior and exterior

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.)

Nothing MAJOR but a lot of little things

Yes we brought the house before we got married

It's mine... it's increased in value by 500% since we purchased so we have a ton of equity... I love seeing the look on the new White neighbors faces when I pull outta the driveway
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 29

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? Cash for down payment + Loan

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc) New paint all throughout. All new carpet, new floor in one of the bathrooms

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.) None.

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? Gf at the time. Broke up.

6.What are your joys of being in a home? Being able to do whatever the ? you want to your house, whenever. But that is overrated. The REAL joy was gaining equity in it. I was basically being paid to live in my own house.

NOTE: I sold that house a year after I bought it and made $26,000. Also, I own 2 other houses but they are both in another state and are just rental properties.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? Wife & I bought our home when I was 26

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? Purchased the home with an FHA loan (which is almost a most for a 1st time homebuyer)

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc) – Nothing major immdeidately. Cleaning up, updating, cutting done some trees/branches in the backyard. We haven’t put an real equity in the home. Eventually we replaced the windows which saved alot on utilities in the winter.

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.) No major problems other than murphy’s law. A pipe bust a few weeks once we moved in and we get minor water when there is heavy rain. Eventually we’ll have to get a subpump or French drains.

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? See above

6.What are your joys of being in a home? The biggest joy is living in a decent neighborhood, being able to put my daughter in a good public school system, having my own space where I can entertain company (had a few ppl over for the fight Saturday) and sitting on my enclosed porch or basement on the weekend drinking an adult beaverage and knowing this is mine (or it will be in another 24 years or so).
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 28

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? VA LOAN

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc)NONE, CAME W/ UPGRADES. BEEN THINKING ABOUT PAINTING THO.

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.)WATER IN THE SHOWER WASNT HOT ENOUGH. THEY FIXED IN WITHIN 3 DAYS

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? NO

6.What are your joys of being in a home? FREEDOM, SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is for people who own homes or ones thinking of buying one. I'll ask some questions and you can answer or post whatever info about your homes, tips, etc. I want one within two years.

1. 27
    2. Down payment in cash to lower the note then mortgage.
    3. None
    4. None
    5. Yes, but we got it before we got married.
    6. Having something that will one day be mine instead of renting and making someone else fat with no chance of what I'm renting one day being mine.
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't answering all of that. ? federale.

Shut yo ass up, you ain't got no house. Anyone noticed I didn't ask how much their house was or what they payed for? That's because it's no one else's business. Living in different states, values vary.

People always refer to owning a home as The American Dream which is half true. If you understand the financing and problems that could occur, then it is a way to financial freedom.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cash.

My dad put marble counter tops in the kitchen, and put in a double sink.

None.

Hell no.

As opposed to what? Stupid question.
  • Wild Willie in the A
    Options

1. 25
    2. FHA loan
    3. caught a HUD house for the low so, painted throughout, redid kitchen and bath flooring and new HVAC equipment
    4. minor stuff consistant with owning a home, water line burst, new roofing, painting exterior
    5. first home was bachelor pad, which has now become rental property
    6. like someone said earlier, tax benefits > renting... its your ? , yeah you have to be considerate of neighbors but still its your ? !! nobody can tell you to turn ? down or do whatever.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 20s

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one?VA loan

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc) all that except basement

I realized it was too close to the neighbors so I bought a few acres back home to get away from ? . oh, and the HOA mafia

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? solo

6.What are your joys of being in a home? watching the area grow and my home value sky rocket, they built a hospital 2 blocks away and my ? jumped like $15k.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah I brought it to flip, but I live in it at the current.. remodeling some areas, and since hurricane sandy hit certain parts of my house need to be repaired.....I just wanted some landmarks in my city. .I wanted to own some property.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 25

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? 15 year fixed mortgage

3.What updates did you do to it? (Painting, basement work, appliances, bathroom, etc) Very few cosmetic changes, it was move-in ready, built in 2006, so everything was new and updated. But I painted the white walls a yellowish beigy color, and thats about it. I want to add a backsplash in my kitchen.

4.What were problems you came across living in it? (The basement, roof, finance issues, etc.) Don't know what the ? 's up wit my washing machine mayne

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? Just me ol me

6.What are your joys of being in a home? Nothing like having your own space. I was with my parents for two years before moving out. I love them dearly but...too too much. It's incredibly freeing.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    1. 25
    2. Loan
    3. Flooring,paint appliances, yard work, and fence
    4. No major problem as of yet
    5. Spouse

? , you've had your home since North Carolina was a territory

15080418-african-home-old-illustration-near-lake-tanganyika-created-by-lavieille-after-burton-published-on-le.jpg
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All you need to know is Im younger than you and I paid ca$h muney ?
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a good thread...
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @mryounggun
    What are the drawbacks/advantages of having a rental property in another city, I want to buy a couple of rental properties back home in Detroit but when I'm in the States I live in Atlanta.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    might need to have a local person as a property manager to act on your behalf. Usually its a realtor that does property management. It's like that in AZ.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    313 wayz wrote: »
    @mryounggun
    What are the drawbacks/advantages of having a rental property in another city, I want to buy a couple of rental properties back home in Detroit but when I'm in the States I live in Atlanta.

Don't do it, son. Pick another city. I considered copping a few houses in Detroit. Them ? are DIRT cheap but it's hard as ? to find renters. Not a HUGE deal if you pay cash for the houses but still kinda sketchy.

But it's not really hard. Gets kinda complicated around tax season. My sister just moved into one of my houses and she handles ? for both houses since I'm not there. But if you want to buy in a city where you don't know anybody you can just get a good property management place. They'll find renters, collect rent, handle the logistics of getting ? fixed if you need it and evicting ? if you need it. They take 10%. Realistically I say if you can get a nice house for cheap in a different city, I say do it.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 26

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? **randy moss voice** straight cash homie

3.What updates did you do to it? replaced the hotwater tank. bout to repalce the furnace too, minor plumbing work, tore the old garage down will be getting a new one built in January.. plan on doing quite a bit to the crib next year

4.What were problems you came across living in it? meh. got a small leak in the basement gon have to address that soon

6.What are your joys of being in a home? not paying someone rent.. my taxes are a whopping 1400 a year.... i smh at cats in Detroit STILL paying rent when cribs here are cheap as ? ..? refuse to take on the responsibility of owning.. id be damn if i keep putting money in the next mans pocket... when you spend more on rent in a year than you would just buying the crib cash ..but ? will be ?
  • mryounggun
    Options
    jusdre313 wrote: »
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 26

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? **randy moss voice** straight cash homie

3.What updates did you do to it? replaced the hotwater tank. bout to repalce the furnace too, minor plumbing work, tore the old garage down will be getting a new one built in January.. plan on doing quite a bit to the crib next year

4.What were problems you came across living in it? meh. got a small leak in the basement gon have to address that soon

6.What are your joys of being in a home? not paying someone rent.. my taxes are a whopping 1400 a year.... i smh at cats in Detroit STILL paying rent when cribs here are cheap as ? ..? refuse to take on the responsibility of owning.. id be damn if i keep putting money in the next mans pocket... when you spend more on rent in a year than you would just buying the crib cash ..but ? will be ?

Word. If I lived in Detroit there is no way I wouldn't have at least 5 houses.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.How old were you when you first purchased your home? 30

2.You purchased it all in cash, a loan or rented one? 50% cash and 50% loan

3.What updates did you do to it? Had a contractor finish the basement (pool table room, movie theater room w/ elevated floor and a bar), surround sound throughout the basement

4.What were problems you came across living in it? Dealing w/ the contractor that did my basement. Got three different quotes, checked references, etc, nd he was still garbage from a way he conducted biz.

5.Did you buy one along with your spouse? alone but looking for a new home with my wife, ? ain't easy bc we can't find a common ground on where we want to stay

6.What are your joys of being in a home? I can play my music loud, try to do stuff to my house that I seen on www.houzz.com, I can see what my hard work is getting me, have people over for gatherings