25 most most annoying hip hop trends of the 2000's (according to about.com)

Options
D.D.S.
D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in The Reason
25. Shutter Shades
24. FREE (Insert Incarcerated Rapper) Tees
Pretending that you actually care about an incarcerated rapper who knowingly broke the law is so 2002. We don't believe you.
23. Music Overload
Aspiring rappers seem to think that the only way to get attention is to make more music. Ignoring them doesn't work. It only "motivates" them to churn more weak sauce. Sure, it worked for Crooked I when he did the weekly freestyle series, but ask yourself if you're as talented as Crooked I. Crook is a superb lyricist who has shown, with Slaughterhouse's debut, that he can hold his own alongside his peers. How about taking a break from the email blasts and spending quality time on your craft?
22. Throwback Jerseys
This one is right up there with oversized hats and sagging pants. Unless you're a 15-year old sports fan, jerseys are a no-no in hip-hop.
21. Lil Young Rappers
One notable difference between so-called ol' skool artists and the new generation is that the former typically picked stage monikers that denoted wisdom (Grandmaster Flash, Guru), while the latter seems to place a premium on youth (Lil Flip, Young Jeezy, Young Dro). I'd like to see these Lil Young rappers when they're 80. Equally annoying is the misspelled variation of "young." Yes, I'm looking at you, Yung Joc.
20. Award Show Crashers
When ODB crashed the Grammys to voice his disagreement when Diddy won ahead of Wu-Tang, he was humble about it. Who in their right mind would award Best Rap Album to Diddy ahead of the best group in hip-hop history? These days, stage crashing is an excuse to hijack the news cycle and drum up publicity for new projects. It's become more of a gimmick than anything.
19. R&B Rappers
People always point to Lauryn Hill as an example of an artist who juggled both the worlds of rap and r&b. The difference between L'Boogie and today's crop of rap-singers is that she could sing and rap very well. What we have today is a flurry of new jacks who lack both singing and rapping abilities. Sometimes you have to wonder how they manage to score record deals. Same goes for singers who dabble in rap.
18. Sleazy Music Videos
In the early 2000s, Hype Williams pioneered a new way of shooting music videos. Williams distorted the camera's central focus by employing the fisheye lens and occasionally magnified his actors' frame for unique effects. Hype also featured some beautiful models in many of his videos. Thirsty directors took his style and ran with it like purse snatchers. As the copycats gleefully embraced dime-a-dozen models, they forgot what made Hype's directorial technique so unique was his originality.
17. Hip-Hop Clothing Lines
I never understood why every rapper in the world deemed it necessary to launch a clothing line in order to showcase their penchant for nuthuggers. There are some decent hip-hop clothing lines out there, but many of the newer lines are simply knockoffs of staples like Rocawear and Phat Farm.
16. Groupie Confessions
The problem with groupie confessions is that they're often marketed as female empowerment literature when they're really a way for groupies to make extra cheddar and extend their 15 minutes of fame.
15. Cringe-worthy Crossover Products
We get it. CD sales are abysmal and the music industry is on its knees. So, rappers seek out other ways to bring in revenue. But that's no excuse to release a brand of condoms called Magic Stick. (Alternative: Stick to rapping)
14. The Obligatory Chick Song
Some of the best hip-hop and R&B collaborations ("You're All I Need," for example) emerged from a confluence of talent and creativity. In the 2000s, you didn't need either to make a "chick song." Just an order from thirsty execs who are only interested in turning a profit from such corniness.
13. Faking Jax
The hustler ethos is one of the lamest hip-hop trends ever invented. Like Ghostface once inquired in a Fader interview, if these rappers are killing as many people as they claim how come they're still walking free? I leave you with the wise words of OG Ice Cube: "Everybody’s hustling, ain’t nobody rapping."
12. Contrived Rap Feuds
Young Padawans turning on their mentors in drunken fits of rage is one of the most embarrassing hip-hop trends to have emerged in the last 10 years. The Game is notorious for this fan-turned-enemy tomfoolery, having gone to war with 50 Cent, Dr. Dre and Jay-Z. I doubt he'd take that route if his career didn't depend on it.
11. Yelling on Mixtapes
DJs manage to render mixtapes unlistenable by yelling all over the songs. Equally annoying is rewinding the same song 11 times on a mixtape while yelling "BRING THAT SH*T BACK!". If I wanted to hear 10 seconds of the same song over and over, I'll hit that damn rewind button myself.
10. Diamond Grills
These disgustingly expensive chains that cost more than most people's homes are just plain horrible, even from a fashion perspective. Good thing they're fast becoming extinct, you know, with the recession and all.
9. Oversized Shirts
Fellas, can we all agree to ban shirts that look like dresses because they go all the way down to your knees? Why wear oversized clothes when you can look classy in well-tailored ones?
8. Oversized Pants
Hip-hop fashion can be edgy without necessarily being stupid. Wearing a pair of jeans that's eight times your normal size should be penalized with a public beatdown.
7. Club Shootouts
Club shootings have led to many deaths in hip-hop (Proof, T.I.'s personal assistant, etc) and it's time hip-hop took a strong stand against this. It's as immature as it gets. Let Shyne's incarceration serve as a reminder that the club is no place to get all Rambo on innocent by-standers.
6. Insanely Expensive Diamond Chains
Wearing diamond-drenched, novelty size chains should be a no-no in hip-hop. T-Pain paid $410,000 for his "big ass chain." That's 5 houses and a car!
5. The Requisite Lil Wayne Feature
The only logical explanation for this trend is that label honchos have issued a mandate stating that no hip-hop album will be released without at least one Lil Wayne collaboration. Wayne has had his share of brilliant moments. In fact, when he's sharply focused he can be deadly ("Dr. Carter," for instance). However, there are hundreds of other remarkable artists that are equally capable of boosting your stocks. Seek them out and your audience will reward you for the unique experience. The Roots have been doing this consistently for over a decade.
4. Directional Dance Songs
Please stop telling me to throw my hands in the air and do the "stanky legg" on the dancefloor. If I find the song compelling enough I'll shake it like a Polaroid picture. Directional dance songs are corny and need to be permanently retired from hip-hop.
3. Making it Rain
Making it rain is a way of expressing affection for exotic dancers at the club. You really don't need me to go into a 2000-word epistle on what makes this trend ridiculously lame. Anyone still making it rain in 2009 needs to take Jay-Z's advice and get off that.
2. Swag
"Swag" is often an excuse for lack of actual talent. Ask hip-hop fans why they like certain artists and you just might be appalled at how often "swag" comes up in conversation. People are willing more than ever to sacrifice talent for swag. The word "swag" needs to be crushed, ran over, and buried in the same grave with shutter shades.
1. Auto-Tune
Auto-tune went from being a vocal enhancement to a hip-hop fad. Jay officially drilled a nail in its coffin via his anthemic single "Death of Auto-Tune." Let's hope it stays that way come 2010.

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That was actually a good read.
  • the_omniscient
    the_omniscient Members Posts: 245
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Disagree with 22, 21, 11, 9 and 8 (if the writer didn't like 8, I'm sure he/she likes the skinny jeans phase). Agreed on the top 5, 14 and 23.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i dont agree with most of the things mentioned in this list. If you take all that ? out, hip hop would be plain and boring.

hip hop creates diversity, and trends. some people relate to wanting a big ass chain, or expensive jewlery .. ? , rappers are rich, what are they suppose to do? Dimond girlls, white tees, sagging pants, having swag, DJ's yelling, and lyrics that tell you to move is the beauty of hip hop, and makes what we listen to more insteresting.

I do agree that too many rappers are proclaimed hustlers tho..
  • heavyrelish
    heavyrelish Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i agree with most of it..especially the stage crashing thing...everybody wanna be odb man, but he had class with his ? ...notice how many times wu tang was mentioned in high regard in this article...pay homage
  • zer0faults
    zer0faults Members Posts: 8
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How are those skinny jeans not on this list?????
  • dsoule
    dsoule Members Posts: 39
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This list was on point IMO.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    100% agreement with the list
  • heavyrelish
    heavyrelish Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    hip hop has really played itself out in a lot of ways.
  • mystery brown
    mystery brown Confirm Email Posts: 144
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Other than the jerseys thing, I ? with this list.
  • rapstar39
    rapstar39 Members Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Options
    this ? is wack no where is the skinny jeans ?

but i disagree with long t's ( unless there mad long) and baggy/saggin jeans
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No skinny jeans on the list? Sounds like a hipster that wear ultra tight jeans and jerks wrote this list.
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    SoulRattler of Venom Members Posts: 458
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He mentioned skinny jeans in 17.
  • crazychic
    crazychic Members Posts: 179
    edited January 2010
    Options
    11. Yelling on Mixtapes
    DJs manage to render mixtapes unlistenable by yelling all over the songs. Equally annoying is rewinding the same song 11 times on a mixtape while yelling "BRING THAT SH*T BACK!". If I wanted to hear 10 seconds of the same song over and over, I'll hit that damn rewind button myself.

Agreed
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Agreed with everything except 22
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The list is on point. I agree even with oversized jeans and shirt ? . Rappers in their 30's look like clowns in it.
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So you guy's are happy to co sign a list that disrespects the culture?
  • Tha Originator
    Tha Originator Members Posts: 277
    edited January 2010
    Options
    the only one i agree with is free ( ) t shirts and baggy pants and big shirts.............? was wack.....and no ii dont wear skinnys
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    19. R&B Rappers
    People always point to Lauryn Hill as an example of an artist who juggled both the worlds of rap and r&b. The difference between L'Boogie and today's crop of rap-singers is that she could sing and rap very well. What we have today is a flurry of new jacks who lack both singing and rapping abilities. Sometimes you have to wonder how they manage to score record deals. Same goes for singers who dabble in rap.

is this a shot at my ? MAX B?
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    read half..... dissagreed with half......
  • Large Dick Freddy
    Large Dick Freddy Members Posts: 87
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    So you guy's are happy to co sign a list that disrespects the culture?

Doesn't disrespect a thing, rappers should stop being wack
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    People going on like if you hate or don't wear baggy, oversized sagging jeans then you automatically love and wear skinny jeans... erm, no. Trousers and jeans don't quite work like that in the real world, and just because you think wearing jeans that make you look like a circus clown 'looks good' doesn't mean the majority of people out there think that too. Oversized anything that's clearly too big for you just makes you look like a 15 year old who's incapable of dressing yourself. Get mad. The writer even dissed the skinny jeans in number 17 so i don't know why people on here are coming out with 'oh, the writer must be a skinny jeans wearer' ? .

The writer of that list hasn't disrespected Hip Hop, merely highlighting the tired trends that have turned it into such a massive cliche
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i agree w/ dj's yelling on mixtapes and rewinding teh song 3-4 times...that ? is annoying as ? ...there's songs it took me months to listen to cuz I got annoyed at the DJ rewinding the song back at the beginning
  • a.tone
    a.tone Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I agree with most of that, nothing on there made me scrunch my face up and want to stop reading the list... Face it, hip hop has become extremely corny and predictable and if u disagree you are in denial

2010 reform
  • a.tone
    a.tone Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    25. Shutter Shades
    24. FREE (Insert Incarcerated Rapper) Tees

23. Music Overload
    22. Throwback Jerseys
    21. Lil Young Rappers (even tho some of these names are givin)
    20. Award Show Crashers
    19. R&B Rappers

18. Sleazy Music Videos
    17. Hip-Hop Clothing Lines
    16. Groupie Confessions

15. Cringe-worthy Crossover Products (original ways to make money? cant hate)
    14. The Obligatory Chick Song
    13. Faking Jax
    12. Contrived Rap Feuds
    11. Yelling on Mixtapes
    10. Diamond Grills
    9. Oversized Shirts
    8. Oversized Pants
    7. Club Shootouts
    6. Insanely Expensive Diamond Chains
    5. The Requisite Lil Wayne Feature
    4. Directional Dance Songs
    3. Making it Rain
    2. Swag
    1. Auto-Tune

Bolded for c/s
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    a.tone wrote: »
    I agree with most of that, nothing on there made me scrunch my face up and want to stop reading the list... Face it, hip hop has become extremely corny and predictable and if u disagree you are in denial

2010 reform

Tupac & biggie are turning in their graves as we speak.