Louis C.K.'s Explanation of Why He Hates Smartphones Is Sad, Brilliant (With Video)

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was watching this a couple nights ago. He's making sense though.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Louis CK is GOAT
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never knew him and Chris Rock were writing partners until last year lol.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn that's pretty deep, I been feeling like phones ? up interaction for awhile now. So I feel him.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I said it before:
    technology is a gift and a curse
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whites were lynching blacks before smartphones..
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sound like he depressed. That Springsting song wack as ? ..
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He forgets, though, it shapes out lives. It's what determines the whose whos now. Social networking is out lives. It's the way businesses work now. It's the way marketing works now. It's how our future will be determined.

I get what he's saying, he's obviously an old school kind of guy. But he's silly to think that we should be "people" based on his definition of what people should be.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Louis CK is GOAT

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Louis CK is GOAT

The guy isn't funny, though. I sat through two of his stand-ups and was bored as ? . I tried...

White people, smh
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comedians have always had their own philosophical way of looking at life
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think he's that funny either but now I think about it, I want a "fat ? treat".
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a cell phone. I only have this thing cause it's been on my dad's family plan for like 15 years. I never use it....hell, people get mad at me cause they said I'm not reliable with it. ? it. I ride with Louis on this one.
  • Empress_
    Empress_ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I get it and concur to a point, my child(ren) will most certainly not have these data cell phones let alone I-Pads and laptops like many modern day kids have. I don't agree with equating aloneness to being overcome by a great feeling of sadness but I agree that mankind as a whole has been losing touch with ourselves and each other. There is a major disconnect and the more technology advances, the greater it becomes. It doesn't necessarily bring about progression as people.

Every individual should accept and be comfortable in their aloneness where they are able to just be but the fact is more than less are not, they can't really be in that space with just self. It makes many uncomfortable and fearful.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People try too hard to be different. You don't use a cellphone..you want a cookie my ? ? Smartphones are a way of life now, get used to it
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont find him funny

And i watch white comedians
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I agree with him. Slowly we're losing the ability to do basic things like think for ourselves or conducting basic forms of communication, and social media I think only hastens this process. Younger people nowadays I find have a harder time doing simple things like have a conversation, read body language, and more. We live in an era now where the blind lead the blind (Twitter and following people), and everyone does/says things for the approval of other people for their 15 minutes of fame (facebook).

It's some people out here that can't operate without their cellphones or imagine life without it SMMFH. Just 13 years ago I remember it was a luxury to even have a cellphone, maybe 1 in 10 people out here had a cellphone.

This message brought to you by a ngga on a online forum.

Not that I dont agree, but u cant ignore the irony/contradiction.

The very medium you critique is what allows your thoughts to be heard by dozens, as opposed to bein heard by a few at best.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was right about people not being able to sit still without clutching their phone, ? you don't have to be alone to be a victim of that. People are becoming obsessive about answering texts, FB posts etc quickly.

It's a shame but this is why the text and drive laws exist, it's why robberies are so high in school zones, and people being hit by cars more often around here. Too much texting and not enough paying attention to your surroundings.

I don't think the phone is a problem generally but I think it's getting to that obsessive point where it's cutting human interaction down, it's isolating and distracting people putting lives an livelihoods in danger.

A lot of employers and places of business now have cellphone policies because of this stuff, that's how you know it's going too far. Our courts here in Detroit won't even allow you to have a cellphone on the premises,..period! That was crazy as hell to me.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with him, with all this new technology we become more and more ''not'' human. There is more to communicating than just ''words'', it's body language, the subtle things about interpersonal communication,etc. That's the stuff cellphone's and texting doesn't pick up.

Cellphone's also is a cop out for a lot of these socially awkward mf's out here too. You see them using it as a crutch in a club, bar, social setting,etc because they have no people skill to go talk to people.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    I agree with him. Slowly we're losing the ability to do basic things like think for ourselves or conducting basic forms of communication, and social media I think only hastens this process. Younger people nowadays I find have a harder time doing simple things like have a conversation, read body language, and more. We live in an era now where the blind lead the blind (Twitter and following people), and everyone does/says things for the approval of other people for their 15 minutes of fame (facebook).

It's some people out here that can't operate without their cellphones or imagine life without it SMMFH. Just 13 years ago I remember it was a luxury to even have a cellphone, maybe 1 in 10 people out here had a cellphone.

This message brought to you by a ngga on a online forum.

Not that I dont agree, but u cant ignore the irony/contradiction.

The very medium you critique is what allows your thoughts to be heard by dozens, as opposed to bein heard by a few at best.

Bruh thats what imo @sion was trying to say. Poeple are lost in the seeking of FAME. He was not blaming technology he was pointing out the overused for wrong reasons of them. Its one thing to be heard when you post intelligence that can fortunately touches more people than expected. Its another to always bragging about silly and imaginary things just to get los goats likes etc...
    we as users decide of the quality of the mediums by our actions .either we make them profitable either we make them look futile.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    And we must no forget that technology of communications are getting humanize hence visiophone and next holograms.
    But again we are the ones that decide.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    louie c.k. und dave chappelle the goats
    and yea hes right kids should learn to be without a smartphone imo
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    ^^ teens and adults should learn to live with their current technology not depend of it.