Does John Singleton Have A Point..Or Not?

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.Bocario wrote: »
    If there going to do slavery story why not do one of black people fighting back. You got the haitian revolution, the maroons in jamaica. Brazil. Etc

Lmao

1) Black americans don't know/dont care about so they wouldn't support it

2) Lol at you thinking that hollywood would make a movie about crazy Africans killing and burning all the white ppl in haiti
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went to see Redtails. It really wasn't that good of a movie either due to it's low budget and very little Hollywood support. The person who made that movie dam near paid for that ? himself. It didn't get anywhere near the same hype as the Butler. My solution is put the same backing and finances behind Redtails as you do these Kunta movies.

I seen Red Tails too and although the story was there, it was simply poorly made. Some parts looked liked they used the same effects as the first Star Wars movie. I think that's a huge problem, A LOT of black films are bad films period.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »
    I went to see Redtails. It really wasn't that good of a movie either due to it's low budget and very little Hollywood support. The person who made that movie dam near paid for that ? himself. It didn't get anywhere near the same hype as the Butler. My solution is put the same backing and finances behind Redtails as you do these Kunta movies.

I seen Red Tails too and although the story was there, it was simply poorly made. Some parts looked liked they used the same effects as the first Star Wars movie. I think that's a huge problem, A LOT of black films are bad films period.

It's hard for some to accept that because there some who feel like no matter the quality you should support it solely because it's a black film. Off the top of my head I can think of a few films that have nothing to do with slavery or portraying blacks as bottom of the barrel but simply as normal everyday people produced by some of the black actors who've been criticized for not doing it but they either simply weren't that good or people don't mention them because they don't fit their argument.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True, which is why I said if done correctly.

You guys are right about needing more movies about positive black figures though...I would watch them.

Definitely not your usual white woman.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    i wanna see this
    director mc queen and fassbender made three movies together
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    ? it.

I'm gonna write a screenplay named ? Jenkins and see if some studio in Hollywood picks it up.

Don't know what the plot will be, but it won't be anything revolutionary that goes against the grain.

If Hollywood wants to take it back, I'll take it all the way back to some Hattie McDaniels/Stepin Fetchit/Amos & Andy type ? .

Wouldn't be surprised if something like that won an Oscar.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't look like John Singleton is sayin' anything negative about Pitt's involvement in the film.

Pitt is a great and versatile actor, as is Fassbender. I wasn't gonna see the film, but the trailer swayed me.

IMO its great that a black director has a film that is gettin' so much reception. McQueen's other films (both starrin' Fassbender) were also critically acclaimed.

I'm not too sure what the fuss is about. ? want a film to make it to Hollywood without any cracka involvement whatsoever?
  • blackrain
    Options
    Doesn't look like John Singleton is sayin' anything negative about Pitt's involvement in the film.

Pitt is a great and versatile actor, as is Fassbender. I wasn't gonna see the film, but the trailer swayed me.

IMO its great that a black director has a film that is gettin' so much reception. McQueen's other films (both starrin' Fassbender) were also critically acclaimed.

I'm not too sure what the fuss is about. ? want a film to make it to Hollywood without any cracka involvement whatsoever?

Some have flat out said the bold
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont have no issue with Brad Pitt or any other of these movie makers/producers. When I see Hollywood, i automatically associate that with entertainment, so its highly unlikely i will watch. I learn about my roots through my own independent research. For the people who do watch it and take away something of value from it, then thats a good thing.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    9TRAY_93EB wrote: »
    ^^

Fight Club, too

I ? with Fight Club more than Troy. Troy is good until they decide to ? up the story for the love story angle

? up a whole nation went down fa a ? .. that that ? had just ? met!!
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    smh..you're worthless @stopitfive.
    A slave bruh? Not a king, martyr, soldier, father, son, revolutionary, president, brother, or engineer...
    A slave...

Yes, THIS movie is about a slave.

Should I be mad that there is another movie about whites being abusive, evil slavemasters?

It is what it is..it's the truth and the truth is what sets you free.

You're just negative as ? about everything. I'm done talking to you.

That was cliche as ? , but you live and you learn, it's a give and take, life has it's up and downs.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what's next Hollywood? A movie about a fat, black, illiterate, molested, AIDS carrying, illegitimate child bearing, fried chicken stealing, girl from the projects?

? , they already did that; smh.
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    So what's next Hollywood? A movie about a fat, black, illiterate, molested, AIDS carrying, illegitimate child bearing, fried chicken stealing, girl from the projects?

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/? _519517_800607.gif[/img]

theyll get the same chick that played n the blindside again
  • Kyle_Lurker
    Kyle_Lurker Members Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great, another movie showing Blacks at their worst. Hollywood ain't ? .

See this is what I don't understand.

How is this movie showing BLACK people at their worst?

You got it ? wrong. These types of movies show WHITE people at their worst and most evil.

It NEEDS to be shown, people NEED to see it. Not only so we don't forget our history, but so they can maybe start to grasp some of what is still going on to this day.

Def not your typical white girl...
  • blackrain
    Options
    ^^

Fight Club, too

I ? with Fight Club more than Troy. Troy is good until they decide to ? up the story for the love story angle

I mean that part is true, I'm talking the Achilles angle. ? was dead long before the Trojan Horse ? even happened for real. Keeping him around in the movie was just for Hollywood ?
  • texasdaking88
    Options
    ^^

Fight Club, too

I mean that part is true, I'm talking the Achilles angle. ? was dead long before the Trojan Horse ? even happened for real. Keeping him around in the movie was just for Hollywood ?
    I know that..i was just talkin bout the story itself
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve Lobs wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Hollywood actually hates making movies about slaves. It's a part of history that they'd love to forget about and they feel like those movies don't make a big enough financial return.

But in terms of BP helping get the ? made, that's pretty ? common with movies that have subject matter that is anything different then the normal ? . A big time director or producer almost always has to stand behind it for it to get any real traction towards getting made, black or white.

My question for those saying that movies where blacks are slaves shouldn't be made is this: Should we not explore different aspects of that era? Should we just forget about those dark times altogether? What makes a movie about successful, visibly intelligent, well-mannered black people any more important than movies about slaves.

I wrote a screenplay about slaves a few years backand if that ? ever gets made (which I doubt), I'm definitely not gonna be ashamed of the movie because it shows black people 'at their worst' or whatever.

If this is REALLY an issue with some of y'all ? , we need to be holding Tyler Perry's feet to the fire and start asking some serious questions about why - the only black actor with the money, infrastructure and clout to do so - isn't making any meaningful movies as it relates to black people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_cKZ_dhdo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I see what you did there.
  • VYOENDETTA
    VYOENDETTA Members Posts: 43
    Options
    There aren't too many black heroes in movies anymore... Denzel was pretty running it for a few years but his career is slowing down
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THAT HOW MOST BLACK MOVIES ARE..

S.S. DID RED TAILS

AND DJANGO WOULD HAVE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVERR SEEN THE DAY OF LIGHT IF A WHITE GUY HANDT DONE IT..

ITS ASHAME THAT IT TAKES WHITE TO TELL THE BLACK STORY, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS

Tarantino wrote it. It was never seen as a black made film
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why you blaming Hollywood for that? Black people put that ? out independently of the machine.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Won't watch it, but it still seems better than Oprah's "Grand ? Extravaganza: Rewards of the Timid ? [Extended Director's Cut]".
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why you blaming Hollywood for that? Black people put that ? out independently of the machine.

yes and no

like most independent black films, precious initially didnt have a distributor until lion gate productions i.e. hollywood stepped up

a lot of great independent blk films that feature blks in roles of power and/or don't portray blks in a negative light go unnoticed because they can't find distributors

makes you wonder why films like precious can find its way to theaters,but other blk movies can't...

i will admit that more blks ( actors, directors, you, me, etc.) do need to do more to help increase the production, exposure and theatrical distribution for black independent movies
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brad Pitt is a white ? who understand ?