2013 Forbes Top 20 Rappers...u know

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    Yo but this is good for artists now, cuz this means their craft is earning them more money and control over their music whereas cats like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Slick Rick, KRS, etc. didn't have the infrastructure back then to remain very profitable and at the same time still relevant today. At least when the next golden era comes, ? will be to keep what's theirs and thrive. Think of how many white people own the rights to the music of some of the greatest black artists in the history of music, ? a Jewish woman owns Tupac's entire catalog, artists from the Motown era are broke, I like that artists nowadays are making more and keeping more of their proceeds.

yes and no ... the artist you name made good bread ... its just when the HYPE of thier music is over the well start to dry up if you dont have an hustle outside of music creation and stage performance .... trust the same can still happen to any of those guys on the forbes list in the future .... simply because yes they made 50 million this year ... but alot of these guys SPEND $25million or more a year to continue to be them .... so when that money stops coming in .... it gets harder and harder to continue that lifestyle .... you either sink or swim ... i was just watching an Claudette interview from city high and she said the same ish happen with her husband ... he wrote all kinds of hits for beyonce in like 07 but that money has dried up in 2013 ... you gotta keep generating revenue to continue live a high lifestyle !!

Yeah, another thing is that some of those guys wanna eat lobster tails and drink champagne everyday like they can afford to live that lifestyle when they really can't afford it. When they go on tour they get a hotel room with a jacuzzi and order room service. All of that comes out of their royalties. When the tour is over they still haven't recouped so the label gives them another cash advance and they never break even. Pretty soon you got somebody thats gonna offer you a stack of hundred dollar bills (which is what Tupac got from Suge Knight) in exchange for your publishing rights. From that point onwards you don't see any money from touring or shows, just cash advance money.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Yo but this is good for artists now, cuz this means their craft is earning them more money and control over their music whereas cats like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Slick Rick, KRS, etc. didn't have the infrastructure back then to remain very profitable and at the same time still relevant today. At least when the next golden era comes, ? will be to keep what's theirs and thrive. Think of how many white people own the rights to the music of some of the greatest black artists in the history of music, ? a Jewish woman owns Tupac's entire catalog, artists from the Motown era are broke, I like that artists nowadays are making more and keeping more of their proceeds.

yes and no ... the artist you name made good bread ... its just when the HYPE of thier music is over the well start to dry up if you dont have an hustle outside of music creation and stage performance .... trust the same can still happen to any of those guys on the forbes list in the future .... simply because yes they made 50 million this year ... but alot of these guys SPEND $25million or more a year to continue to be them .... so when that money stops coming in .... it gets harder and harder to continue that lifestyle .... you either sink or swim ... i was just watching an Claudette interview from city high and she said the same ish happen with her husband ... he wrote all kinds of hits for beyonce in like 07 but that money has dried up in 2013 ... you gotta keep generating revenue to continue live a high lifestyle !!

Yeah, another thing is that some of those guys wanna eat lobster tails and drink champagne everyday like they can afford to live that lifestyle when they really can't afford it. When they go on tour they get a hotel room with a jacuzzi and order room service. All of that comes out of their royalties. When the tour is over they still haven't recouped so the label gives them another cash advance and they never break even. Pretty soon you got somebody thats gonna offer you a stack of hundred dollar bills (which is what Tupac got from Suge Knight) in exchange for your publishing rights. From that point onwards you don't see any money from touring or shows, just cash advance money.

yessir and the small ish is what kills you ... im going thru it myself .... them little $5 here $10 here $50 here will add the ? up ... right along side the bigger purchases ....

in all honesty as an artist or even as a 9to5er like myself .... imo from age 20-30 ... you should be focusing on nothing but STACKING ... if you do so you will be so far ahead of yourself its not even funny ... financially that is ...... but no as soon as we get that first check we are off to the races lol ... and i was not exempt .... if it wasnt for me taking an early risk on ? like 401ks and investing in company stock ... id def be playing catch up these days ....... but im stilll in the race just need to get more mature with my spending habits .....
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yessir and the small ish is what kills you ... im going thru it myself .... them little $5 here $10 here $50 here will add the ? up ... right along side the bigger purchases ....

in all honesty as an artist or even as a 9to5er like myself .... imo from age 20-30 ... you should be focusing on nothing but STACKING ... if you do so you will be so far ahead of yourself its not even funny ... financially that is ...... but no as soon as we get that first check we are off to the races lol ... and i was not exempt .... if it wasnt for me taking an early risk on ? like 401ks and investing in company stock ... id def be playing catch up these days ....... but im stilll in the race just need to get more mature with my spending habits .....

true ass ?
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got dayum @antarticp

Whole page of posts tho?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Wiz Amber won

Word up.

a25bb5382729aa66d49f99fdbcfb4c6d.gif
    take dat, take dat Took That Took That

yup she did
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    SMMFH, remember that Forbes makes estimates based off relevance and popularity.
    Na my ? , those are the yearly Power Rankings that Forbes does. These are estimates off of actual annual income. I wouldn't say these numbers are too far off but estimates only get as good as what they really are... estimates.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Nicki is higher than Birdman and Weezy? Must be that american idol money.
  • KillaCham
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I don't understand how it's so surprising Nicki made more money than Birdman. With all the brands and endorsements her and other rappers have and have gotten....the game isn't about just sales anymore if you're trying to make the big money. You gotta brand yourself. Touring and endorsements = $$$.

Pepsi, Adidas, Myx Fusions wine, Mac, OPI, Dr. Dre Beats Pink Pill, American Idol, touring, 2 perfume lines, deal with KMart for her new clothing line, etc is where Nicki got her money the last year.

You gotta put in the work to reap the rewards. That's why I hate when rappers are always quick to blame the label for low album sales. If you did a better job of putting yourself out there (touring, marketing yourself, doing features, etc), you'd not only have a bigger name and reach more consumers, but not only will your own label have faith to invest more into you, but other companies will too.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Oh yeah, and Birdman isn't seeing a penny of that endorsement money from Nicki, Wayne, or Drake I believe.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and Birdman isn't seeing a penny of that endorsement money from Nicki, Wayne, or Drake I believe.

depends on whether they're on 360s i guess
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how it's so surprising Nicki made more money than Birdman. With all the brands and endorsements her and other rappers have and have gotten....the game isn't about just sales anymore if you're trying to make the big money. You gotta brand yourself. Touring and endorsements = $$$.

Pepsi, Adidas, Myx Fusions wine, Mac, OPI, Dr. Dre Beats Pink Pill, American Idol, touring, 2 perfume lines, deal with KMart for her new clothing line, etc is where Nicki got her money the last year.

You gotta put in the work to reap the rewards. That's why I hate when rappers are always quick to blame the label for low album sales. If you did a better job of putting yourself out there (touring, marketing yourself, doing features, etc), you'd not only have a bigger name and reach more consumers, but not only will your own label have faith to invest more into you, but other companies will too.

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad props to Tech Nina!
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda of sad this is what Raps come to. Worshipping the almighty dollar, clowning people who didn't make the list when I'm sure all of us would take 500k a year. In the end those with real generational wealth that are rappers can be counted on your fingers. We all know this list will be another quoteable in a rhyme cuz ? knows he's over the hill and got ? to talk about.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S/O to Nicki.... I'm proud of her but I knew she had it even when she had that Baby Phat bag on The Come Up DVD. I honestly don't get how any female Rapper can knock her when she's laying down the Blueprint in terms of Business wise.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    S/O to Nicki.... I'm proud of her but I knew she had it even when she had that Baby Phat bag on The Come Up DVD. I honestly don't get how any female Rapper can knock her when she's laying down the Blueprint in terms of Business wise.

Is it sustainable given her attitude?
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Her Grind tops her Attitude tbh.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

We'll see.
    With that being said that American Idol check is/was a game changer. Props to her
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

We'll see.
    With that being said that American Idol check is/was a game changer. Props to her

True but I think ppl giving the American Idol check too much Praise she still would've been Top 10 without it easily.

• shareef242
    shareef242 Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, out of everybody you named Dr Dre is the only one from the 80s still on that list.

Where's LL Cool J?

Hell, where's Nas? From some reason I think Nas can still make an easy $10 mil a year doing shows in AMerica and overseas.

During the divorce proceedings, Kelis forensic accountant said that during the marriage he grossed 247,000 dollars a month which amounts to 2.96 million a year average. The court records were online somewhere. People were tripping on when she got 55k a month. In the documents she asked for 72k!
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you're generating revenue for a record company, they could care less about her attitude, as a matter of fact they damn near encourage it anyway. the majority of these fueds/beefs are fabricated anyway
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda of sad this is what Raps come to. Worshipping the almighty dollar, clowning people who didn't make the list when I'm sure all of us would take 500k a year. In the end those with real generational wealth that are rappers can be counted on your fingers. We all know this list will be another quoteable in a rhyme cuz ? knows he's over the hill and got ? to talk about.

Rihanna dissing Teyana for only banking a half a mill. SMFH
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thats part of the problem but the label already has the ear of endorsements
    The label plays with your money and talent
    They will take a song u made
    put it out there
    than sue you for it thru a subsidiary
    ask Lil Flip

They will put u in a group situation and cross promote you with a "peer" or give their hand picked favorite the most leverage and benefits
    Ask Olivia, Kelly Rowland, B2K and The Supremes

They will overexpose u than make u a catch phrase, even though u brought them a brand and a low risk high reward investment
    Ask Hammer

And the movie and music and media are owned by the same people
    Believe dat
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems like they copy and paste the same list and add some current rappers to it to make it look different
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Seems like they copy and paste the same list and add some current rappers to it to make it look different

Two reasons for that. 1 most of the artists on that list are just guesses. Many have said they will never tell Forbes how much they actually make. 2. Music is very fickle and it's rare for artists to actually stay around for a long time so that's why it tends to be the same artists on these lists and not the one or 2 hit wonders that come along in every genre every year