The Official Drake "Nothing Was The Same" Album Thread (The Reviews are Coming In....) (9.24)

Options

Comments

• Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im not bout to listen to this ? again...does this ? have a response to Control?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "drake makes me feel like i'm on a cloud floating"
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Filopian tube music.
    This is not a bad album, it's just very soft. I don't think I'm his target audience
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    im saying less than or equal to500k
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.O.S.T. wrote: »
    Filopian tube music.
    This is not a bad album, it's just very soft. I don't think I'm his target audience

U want hum to make a hard album? He ain't hard... ? already clownin him for shooting guns in his video andthe catch a body like that line. He doin him folk gonna like it or hate it
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo I'm pretty sure 305 to my city is the worst song on here. I'm wondering what possessed him to put that on here.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    you dont have to be hard to not be soft phontes music isnt "hard" but i dont hear ? in it
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Filopian tube music.

U want hum to make a hard album? He ain't hard... ? already clownin him for shooting guns in his video andthe catch a body like that line. He doin him folk gonna like it or hate it
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Filopian tube music.

No. I said I like the album. I prefer music that's more aggressive. Drake has his lane
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in stores now!
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listened to this a quite a bit today this album kinda gets boring. Production is too slow and he's not really bringing anything different from his first two albums.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo I'm pretty sure 305 to my city is the worst song on here. I'm wondering what possessed him to put that on here.

I actually really like the beat and hook of that song. I just think Drake simped too hard on it(as usual)
  • TayJone
    TayJone Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Options
    After listening to it like 5 times i can honestly say only songs i wanna hear every time are
    Wu Tang Forever, Own It, Pound Cake, The Language...
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Just listened for the first time. I liked a couple tracks but that Wu Tang joint is a disgrace son. How the hell you gon name a song after Wu Tang and then spit that buttersoft puppy love ? . I know its supposed to be a metaphor and ? , but its still ass juice.

Theres two rules when you name song after Wu: 1. Dont sing 2. Dont sound like a ? .
    And Aubrey violated them both
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont een be listening for real
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Own It is bad. That ? was unlistenable to me. 305 to my City grew on me.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Own it
    Worst behavior are terrible
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Worst behaviour goes hard
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mufuckas never loved us
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Own it is some ? that we make fun of drake for smh
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Own It is trash
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swang and I swang and I swang to the left....Pop Pop my trunk Yep Yep Yep
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm starting to believe Drake just found out who Wu Tang was/is.
    Too many references to them but maybe not.
    The Wu does have a very large white fanbase.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    305 to my city so hard in the whip tho
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Your local hip-hop historians (a.k.a. old heads, if you are under 25 years old) hold memories of hands-balled-into-fists banging on lunchroom tables replicating the rhythms of "Shook Ones pt 2" while mimicking the Hancock sample with their mouth. Or perhaps they recall their fingers eagerly ripping open the packaging of the Only Built for Cuban Linx purple tape that they copped from brick and mortar shops such as Tower Records. If these folks still listen to current rap music at all, more than likely they are quick to point out that Drake is not a rapper they admire. He is a soft R&B singing Canadian emo actor, that is the very epitome of everything that is wrong with modern day hip-pop. In today's parlance, #softcreampuff.

The funny thing is that none of those insults are factually incorrect. Drake is from North of Michigan. He was on a sappy teen drama. His name, Aubrey Graham, is more likely to be a Mattel playmate of Teddy Ruxpin. He also sings. A lot.

While all this may be true, Nothing Was the Same again proves Drake is also a very good rapper. On the opening track "Tuscan Leather" he borrows from the H.N.I.C Infamous P, rhyming:
    im living like im out here on my last adventure
    past the present when you have to mention
    this is nothin for the radio, but they'll still play it though
    cause its that new drizzy drake, thats just the way it go
    heavy airplay all day with no chorus/we keep it thoro, ?

over the smooth, flittery off-beat tempo of his right hand man Noah "40" Shebib, complete with a sped up sample of Whitney Houston. If Mobb Deep, combined with Cissy’s daughter, over relaxed, muted sounds is not the perfect start for a Drake album, nothing is.

Not content to just keep the slick lines there, he goes further on "Pound Cake." Atmospheric, minimalistic sounds, light drums, and whispering angelic cries play the the back beat for ridiculously melodic braggadocio rhymes that would make Ma$e nod his head in appreciation:

Overly focused, it's far from the time to rest now
    debates growing 'bout who they think is the best now?
    took a while, got the jokers out the deck now
    i'm holding all the cards and ? wanna play chess now

And just like Ghostface roach picking out the cereal box at 7am, a serious emcee cannot make an album without showing a reflective side. The shining star of OVO certainly fulfills this admirably on the standout track, "Too Much." Traversing the airy introspective tones of Sampha, Mr. Graham’s watery rhymes pour out of the faucet overflowing the emotional cup he is serving:

hate the fact my mom cooped up in her apartment, telling herself
    that she's too sick to get dressed up and go do ? , like that's the true ?
    all my family from the M-Town that i've been 'round, started treating me like im "him" now
    Like we don't know each other, we ain't grow together, we just friends now

The frankness of "Too Much" is really what separates Drake from all the other new rappers that are trying to gain Control of the current generation of spitters. Whether utilizing machine gun raps or crooning about the sweetest taboo, Nothing Was the Same seamlessly demonstrates a meticulously self-aware artist at the peak of his powers. While not hood or street, Drake is true to himself, which makes him one of the realest rappers making music right now.