Why is LL never mentioned in "Top/DoA" lists?

Options
Trillaaaaaa
Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is he overlooked and slept on or do yall think he wack?

Comments

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL run was in the 1980's early 1990's and most of the demographic of hiphop today were not either born or infants at the time.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Just overlooked. His peak was before most people's time. ? think all he did was make girl records...sheer ignorance.

? needa listen to Mr. Smith and get they mind right.

Plus all his "love" songs are classics.

And lol @ LL saying "rest in peace Robert E. Lee" in that country track. Still did his thing though
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. LL made rap ? look easy and was the face of the game for at least 7-8 years straight he is in my top 5 definitely
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    LL run was in the 1980's early 1990's and most of the demographic of hiphop today were not either born or infants at the time.

I'm not talking about these if ant hoodboogers of this generation. I'm talking about hip hop heads not mentioning LL at all
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just overlooked. His peak was before most people's time. ? think all he did was make girl records...sheer ignorance.

That might be part of it but i think its cuz there was no particular time period he dominated.. im not talkin bout sales or even legacy but i mean as far as the top lyricist out..im young so maybe ? back then thought so but i can go back and listen to krs one and rakim and those guys and he aint touching them imo..he can hold his own but he just aint on that top tier level to me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His career pre-dates all the internet ? . If he'd dropped some of his ? in the early 2000s, he'd have a bunch of stans calling him the greatest of all time.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Options

That might be part of it but i think its cuz there was no particular time period he dominated.. im not talkin bout sales or even legacy but i mean as far as the top lyricist out..im young so maybe ? back then thought so but i can go back and listen to krs one and rakim and those guys and he aint touching them imo..he can hold his own but he just aint on that top tier level to me

If the 88 in your name is for the year u were born then u aint that young ? lol

I was born in 88 too and when I was a jitterbug I thought LL was the biggest rapper ever. It mighta been cuz of the tv show but he was pretty dominant in his career
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was born in 88 too and when I was a jitterbug I thought LL was the biggest rapper ever. It mighta been cuz of the tv show but he was pretty dominant in his career

Let me be a young ? ..lol.. growing up i thought ll was just that one light skin ? my mom liked.. i always ? with his music somewhat but bone, geto boys, ugk , big and pac was the only thing gettin play n my brother car n the 90's
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I got bad and walking with a panther in my whip right now!

And I told my girl brenda got big ass so I'm leaving u ? get ya weight up
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

damn I was born 1988 as well and when LL is mention the first song to pop up in my head is "Around the way girl".
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cause he's garbage
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mama said knock him out...of my top 10 list.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    born in 87, ll the only 80's rap legend ill willing listen to, when he comes to mind i think of songs in the mid 90's when i was a kid like doin it, or phenomenon, but i also knew about songs like mama said knock u out(they used to play the mtv unplugged version all the time) and im bad
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh...I could see him in the top tier if we are only talking about old school artists, but not top doa overall. He's cool though.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Actually he is. Elite rappers like Nas, Ghost, Pac, Raekwon etc had him in their top 10

LL is actually your favorite rapper favorite rapper.

yep and eminem said ll is the reason y he wanted to rap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MWEtg5DAtE
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i respect him and heard some classics but by the time i really got into rap, the gangsta ? had already came along...

as far as some of the new(er) tracks, i thought this was tight....just some real ? ....i've actually used it to explain myself a few times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pQd0xchc0
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are more levels than TOP 5 or WACK. I don't think people accept this. Lol.

Of course he ain't sack...it's ? ' LL. But he ain't no where near Top 5 status to me.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand that people nowadays don't rate him in their top 5 DOA. But you gotta understand 20 years ago alot of these new MCs didn't exist. I mean, if it was 1992 Pac, Jay, Big, Nas and Eminem didn't exist. Neither did Jadakiss, Mos Def, Snoop, Redman, Prodigy or anybody in Wu-tang.

If it was 92 and somebody listed their top 5 you'd probably get a list like Melle Mel, Rakim, Cube, LL, Big Daddy Kane.
  • bossflossy
    bossflossy Members Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I agree. LL made rap ? look easy and was the face of the game for at least 7-8 years straight he is in my top 5 definitely
    face of the game for 7-8 years? mid 80's was all run dmc, late 80's in the hood rakim, kane, chuck d, krs slick rick all got more burn than him. he might have sold a little more but he was a little more mainstream friendly. early 90's cube was that dude and then dre and on the mainstream pop side it was hammer. ll was popular but he never really had a time where he was considered the best. he sold a bunch of records but in each era he sold in, when the subject of best came up he was never in the discussion. slick rick, rakim, kane, krs was the argument in the 80's. early 90's it was cube/scarface mid 90's biggie, jay-z or nas. ll never got respect even in his 'hard' days