Dying Light *New open world zombie survival game from the creators of Dead Island*

Options
GovernmentCheese
GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in IllGaming
Release Date 4/1/2014 for the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox one, and PC. Looks like what Dead Island should have been. I think Techland frontin by saying it's not another Dead Island but we'll see. I watched the gameplay, it sure does look like a new and improved next gen version of that game but it looks dope though. Game will focus on improved melee combat and there is also a day - night cycle. The zombies are more aggressive during the night and players will have to try their best to survive until the sun comes back up. Free running is also in the game. When players have no useful weapons, they'll be able to run through buildings, jump across buildings, etc.

Dying_Light_cover.jpg

WHAT IS DYING LIGHT?
Dying Light is a first-person, action survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning’s first light.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlEO8Swxz-k

12 Minutes of Gameplay ( Gets really good after 2:00 M mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TSCZqcjR0

Screenshots:
dying_light_7_605x.jpg
dying_light_1_605x.jpg
dying_light_3_605x.jpg
dying_light_21_605x.jpg
dying_light_19_605x.jpg
final_headcut-f.jpg

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sick to death of zombies already but the approach that games like this one and Dead Rising 3 take (zombie stories in more open world enviroments) is the correct approach.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. A game thread!

Nice OP BTW

I'm not a fan of Dead Island, but this looks dope.
  • Broddie
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Wow. A game thread!

For a second there I thought I was at The GAF.

• GovernmentCheese
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I'm sick to death of zombies already but the approach that games like this one and Dead Rising 3 take (zombie stories in more open world enviroments) is the correct approach.

@Broddie

The day - night cycle looks sick in the gameplay. The zombies start going crazy when the sun goes down and it gets real dark and hard to see. That alone makes me want to buy this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GovernmentCheese
    edited October 2013
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Wow. A game thread!

Nice OP BTW

I'm not a fan of Dead Island, but this looks dope.

@focus

Yeah, Dead Island looked good on paper but it wasn't executed properly. Riptide was horrible too, this looks like they acknowledged their mistakes with those games and fixed them in this one.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Dead Rising and now this? May next gen console will be filled with zombie games. I heard they have a left 4 dead in the making as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • GovernmentCheese
    Options
    Theodis wrote: »
    sooooo it's Brink with zombies...

More like Mirrors Edge with zombies because of the traversal mechanics (sprint leaping, free running etc.) You can also look back while running, escape off of adrenaline, a lot of cool little things.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

@Broddie

The day - night cycle looks sick in the gameplay. The zombies start going crazy when the sun goes down and it gets real dark and hard to see. That alone makes me want to buy this.

Yeah it's an intriguing concept. Normally FPS games don't appeal to me but this might be an exception like Left 4 Dead and the Bioshock games were.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something that will get tired and repetitive like Dead Rising.Dead Island was ? also. These games are boring.
  • infamous118
    infamous118 Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked the first dead Island (2nd one was basically dlc. ? that one) and this looks exactly like dead island just with better graphics. I need more than that
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    open world zombie game...check....first person...wack...I'll see wassup when its release approaches
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even though I goated it, I'm not seeing the opening world aspects of the game yet, seems like he was on a mission where it was pre determined for it to reach night by the time he got to the care package.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn this thread was made two years ago and they just now showing the commercial during the flash.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @DWO @KillaCham @PimpMVP lets go! we co-oping again!
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats the word from the gameplay and few minutes i played via shareplay which did nothing for me...(they need shareplay to work smooth as watching netflix) it looks pretty decent now im looking for some of yall words.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This would work better in 3rd person
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not my cup of tea. Watch my Bro-n-law play. ? would have def been better in third person. Just seems like dead island in first person and I didn't care for that too much either.
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I posted my thoughts on thecoli, but in short this ? is dope. Whoever plays on the xbox one add me, im 9 hours in already wit some pretty dope ?
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From reddit:

With the lack of reviews out in the wild and having an opportunity to have been playing since Friday, thought I would share my overall thoughts about the game with the community. There may be potential spoilers below.

Gameplay I love the walking dead series. There is a sense of desperation and urge to survive that I have rarely seen captured in any zombie games. Dying light I believe really captures this feeling really well. During the day, you run around to secure safe houses spread around the map and gathering resources that you need. At night you scramble to find a safe house to get away from the super zombies (I hope you can level up to a degree to hunt them down eventually). The night is so freaky that I get nervous going out at night. It's a true testament to what Techland was able to accomplish, when they said "At night you are the prey". The last game I remember that really freaked me out was Dead Space.

There are a lot of activities to do. From the standard running missions (Go and fetch something and deliver) to quarantine zones which are like insta dungeons, will be great for co-op.

Every few hours in game, there is an air drop that is a race against time to get there before others do to secure the drop. It's a race against time versus A.I. and I suspect other players when co-op is open. The rewards are huge survivor points if you successfully secure an air drop. Found these really fun to complete.

You have to be a lot more methodical in your approach to taking down zombies, you can't just run around bashing them all in - you will get swamped.

So far I have across the following types of zombies:

Standard Zombie - Slow moving with limited damage
    Standard Zombie on steroids - Running zombies with limited damage
    Zombie Hulks - Slow moving with heavy damage
    Spitters - Jumping and spitting venom
    Boomers - They explode and can insta ? you
    Hazmats - Zombies with tanks of oxygen on their backs that explode if striked from behind
    MOTHERfukkING NIGHT HUNTERS - ONLY APPEAR AT NIGHT AND ARE THERE TO fukk YOUR DEAD CORPSE. HATE THEM.
    Screamers - Baby Zombies that scream at you and attract other zombies. (Thanks WhatABlindManSees)
    The amount of zombies you see at a time I would say is about 15 - 20 max. It's not anything like dead rising with massive numbers of zombies. I personally think it works well with the style of the game.

Controls You start out learning to parkour and as you level up, you open up more abilities that adds multiple combinations in your approach to the combat and parkour. You have 3 skill trees - Survivor (from completing missions), Agility (from parkour) and Power (from fukking up zombies). As you level up, you get points to unlock nodes on the tree.

At first, the controls were a bit jarring. The jump button is mapped to the right bumper on ps4 (R1). This is your main button that initiates your parkour. This was completely counterintuitive to me being used to 'X' being the jump button. Although as you keep playing it more and more, the controls become more natural - I did have the occasional issues when out off fore of decade of gaming I hit the 'X' button. You cannot map individual buttons to different functions and have only 3 presets. To initiate parkour, you need look upwards towards a ledge and then hit the jump button. It's a lot of fun sequencing a series of jumps to run across a series of obstacles. It's very very fluid once you get used to the control mechanism.

Each weapon you pick up has a different style of striking and it varies based on the stamina you have (stamina sucks in the beginning). Stamina works as follows - initially you can only strike 3 times in a row before you run out off stamina. As you level up, your number of strikes increases. It strikes a fine balance between being able to take down a few zombies and needing to run.

Weapons Most of the weapons I have come across are melee weapons. There are supposedly ranged weapons too and guns, but haven't come across them yet. The melee weapons have different levels reflected by a colour code - each higher level having better damage and durability. As you use the weapons, the durability goes down till you need to repair it - and you have a limited number of repairs per weapon.

Story (Potential spoilers) With the lacklustre of the story telling in recent games (destiny, watch dogs), I was nervous about the story in dying light. You are essentially a mercenary who has been sent in to retrieve a secret file. You come across two camps of survivors - a group who are trying to save as many people as possible and a rival group who will do whatever it takes to survive. As you run missions for these two groups of survivors, you are also following the orders of the unit that sent you in. In between all these survivors you come across other pockets of survivors who have their own set of side missions. I find most games lack a compelling story to draw me into it, but surprisingly I have found myself drawn into the story presented here. I am at 15% of completion with the story (15 hours in), been sidetracked by so many other activities.

Sound The voice acting is great. The voices of the characters are varied enough that as you spend more time with the game, you come to associate certain voices with certain characters. The voice acting adds a whole dimension of character to the survivors you meet, from the exuberant kid who wants to save the world to the desperate voice of a father who just wants to survive. There is a great amount of attention to detail with the characters that the voice acting brings to life.

Techland has done a fantastic job with the sound design that really adds to the atmosphereand really immerses me in the game. One of the coolest things is that when you are on a two way radio, you receive the responses over the Ps4 controller speaker, as if you are holding the radio in your hand. Very cool implementation. You controller rumbles every time a plane with a supply drop passes over you. There is also a rain cycle that at night or day really changes the atmosphere and feel of the game, everything is much darker making it harder to navigate; and imagine the sound of rain drops, thunder and deafening screams of zombies in the background.

TLD: I love the game. 8.5/10

EDIT: On a separate note, I forgot to mention I got banned from Twitch for streaming it. Got a whole DMCA take down letter from WB. Found it hilarious.

EDIT: Added 8th zombie type, thanks WhatABlindManSees.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    This would work better in 3rd person

I agree I watching on the stream and it looked fun for co op.You can have 4 players and 1 person invading as a zombie.Third person may have made me buy it.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched a couple of streams and it looks good. I liked dead island so I might get this.