A Statement From Shawn “JAY Z” Carter

Options

Comments

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    This collaboration lives in a place of giving and is about the Foundation. I am not making a dime from this collection; I do not stand to make millions, as falsely reported. I need to make that fact crystal clear. The Shawn Carter Foundation is the beneficiary and the foundation is receiving 25% of all sales from the collaboration, 10% of all sales generated in the store on November 20th and, an additional donation from Barneys. This money is going to help individuals facing socio-economic hardships to help further their education at institutions of higher learning. My idea was born out of creativity and charity… not profit.

I move and speak based on facts and not emotion. I haven’t made any comments because I am waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys. Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately? The negligent, erroneous reports and attacks on my character, intentions, and the spirit of this collaboration have forced me into a statement I didn’t want to make without the full facts. Making a decision prematurely to pull out of this project, wouldn’t hurt Barneys or Shawn Carter, but all the people that stand a chance at higher education. I have been working with my team ever since the situation was brought to my attention to get to the bottom of these incidents and at the same time find a solution that doesn’t harm all those that stand to benefit from this collaboration.

I am against discrimination of any kind, but if I make snap judgements, no matter who it’s towards, aren’t I committing the same sin as someone who profiles? I am no stranger to being profiled and I truly empathize with anyone that has been put in that position. Hopefully this brings forth a dialogue to effect real change. – Shawn “JAY Z” Carter

http://lifeandtimes.com/a-statement-from-shawn-jay-z-carter

Too many words.

All he had to say was "I'm gonna do what I want regardless of what anybody else thinks."

And lol @ anyone believing Jay actually wrote that statement himself.

Probably had some "help" from his publicist or something.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    being profiled in stores ain't nothing new..hell oprah got the same treatment a few months ago
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    If you shaking hands with Warren Buffet, what makes you think a stand would be made?

What's so terrible about Warren Buffett?
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rich ? are always demonized. We cannot have live out here whether we a rich street ? or a rich corporate ? . Ppl will always think thr worst of us

*shrugs* fck a statement next time, let ? judge.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *borne
    *affect
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So nobody caught him saying he didn't want to make a statement without facts then say he was forced to make a statement without facts
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt read but a few of those words.. but it sounds like by the length of it hes tryin to do everything not to be critical..

he said it himself hes not a business man.. hes a BUSINESS maaaaaaan

Funny how ? tend to get when they have all the power to not have to worry about stepping on the toes of the "UPPER CRUST" yet do everything they can to appease them.. and instead of getting emboldened and defiant become meek.. for the dollar/esteem/status

It couldnt be me..
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    SON SIGNED THAT PAPER WORK HE AINT TRYING TO GET SUED
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I got to say is put it in a rap
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The issue I have here, is that Barney’s will reap the benefits of being associated with the Shawn Carter Foundation, which makes them look like a benevolent organization attempting to raise funds / donate to assist socio-ecomically challenged members of the Black Community, all while simultaneously profiling Blacks who shop at their establishment.

They're essentially targeting the same group they claim to be helping, specifically under the assumption that young Blacks can't even afford to shop there without fraudulent funds. It's blatant, unapologetic hypocrisy.

Barney's is acting against Jay's interests. Dude should just drop it.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    So nobody caught him saying he didn't want to make a statement without facts then say he was forced to make a statement without facts

Hmmmmmmm
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z is the Michael Jordan of rap , no ? around me but imma cake off y'all ass ?
    Lmaooo not even close
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ ppl caring what ? -z thinks about social issues in the black community. dude has a lightskinned r&b ? & has been ? for white ppl for at least 15 years. foh thinking that a dude who raps about champagne bentleys and rolexes gives a ? about ur kool aid sippin bus pass having timex wearing ass.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    smh @ ppl caring what ? -z thinks about social issues in the black community. dude has a lightskinned r&b ? & has been ? for white ppl for at least 15 years. foh thinking that a dude who raps about champagne bentleys and rolexes gives a ? about ur kool aid sippin bus pass having timex wearing ass.
    Would you happen to be one of those kool aid sippin timex folks?
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z coming out denouncing Barney's is not the real issue and won't change much IMO. Would Jay 'taking a stand' and severing ties with Barney's to satisfy you dudes make that much difference? Alot of dudes looking at Jay to do something (symbolic) would still have that consumptive mentality. You guys would still buy overpriced namebrand stuff you don't need and can't afford to show off to other n*ggas. Your women would still buy weaves and hairproducts to not look black from non-black enterpreneurs. You guys still wouldn't support black businesses/ practise group economics like all other races do.

The real issue is stores like Barney's don't want your $ and your black a*s in their stores. Clerks harassing, insulting and profiling black costumers is policy to let you know they how they feel about you. Look at all the stories that made the media recently. That fat black chick that decided to buy an expensive designer bag with her taks return (great investment). That actor that was detained when he bought glasses for his mom and that moist lil n*gga that wanted to buy the $ 350 belt. These are just the stories that made the media. These people don't want your money. Practise group economics and stop trying to give outsiders that don't give a f*ck about you your hard earned money.

PS lol @ Buying an overpriced designer bag with your taks return when you ain't balling, probably living check to check in the projects with bastard kids and a broke a*s hood n*gga. Black people need some growing up to do and I will make a thread about this later this week.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JayZ will make money with Barney's if they told him that they are going to play Ether inside their store every day
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I got to say is put it in a rap

put it in a rap™
    anyway, these ? think they are above the problems of the poor and powerless...
    he'll get his ? wake-up call... ask OJ... ask Tiger...
    the "I've transcended my race and social class" ? is symptomatic of the black communities disorganization...
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this is is a chance for Barney's to get promotion for their store, any publicity is good publicity right? When is the last time the regular working class man or woman even talked about Barney's? People are mad now but this will be forgotten and Barney's and Jay-Z will only get richer.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »

What the ? does Beyonce being light skin have anything to do with anything? ? say that ? like she still ain't a black woman. As for the business deal, alot of ya'll are fools if you think it's that simple to ? a business deal where the contracts already been signed. Business world don't work like that
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he shouldn't have said ? . the stance he is taking is lame as ? ...
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i aint mad at HOV. its got nothin to do with him.