• BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a Eminem. Straight like that.
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    So all these posts and nobody remembers Em openly said if he was black he would have sold half on The Eminem Show and countless interviews over the years

Half would be 50 million records sold and that would still make him one of the highest selling hip hop artists of all time.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JerfyT wrote: »
    So all these posts and nobody remembers Em openly said if he was black he would have sold half on The Eminem Show and countless interviews over the years

Half would be 50 million records sold and that would still make him one of the highest selling hip hop artists of all time.
    You ? on the reason take ? mad literal.

But but jadakiss you said you have enough coke to use the scale they weigh whales with you are one kilo short!

But but jeezy you said so much money I hurt my hands, I counted 50 mil but hands don't hurt...
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? stew loves eminem!!!! Nh
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He prolly had blonde hair junior year
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    This ? stew loves eminem!!!! Nh

I'm just a fan bro. I get a kick out of making the people who hate him mad.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everybody remembers it, but even people who use that statement as proof that he sells because of skin color have killed their own argument. If Eminem was Black, he said he'd be selling half which would still make him the highest selling rapper right? How then, does that make him Canibus, if he were Black as people who use Eminem's logic claim?

The point is we can speculate all day, but even Eminem's statement in that song was speculation. It can't be proven. I'm pretty sure the same people who agree with Eminem's statement would call BS on Em still doing Jay Z numbers if he were Black.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDB wrote: »
    ? a Eminem. Straight like that.

Whoa there Ken Kaniff.
  • georgia boi
    Options
    I would say race was an issue if Eminem was just the highest selling rapper, but it's not the case. According to Billboard, Eminem was the highest selling artist of last decade period. That includes the white artists in every genre of music who had bigger hits than Eminem. He's on pace to do the same in this decade. Dude is outselling everybody. People went back and purchased his whole catalog. They didn't even do that with JT who has less albums and he's also white. They just reached back and bought the previous album.

There's white artists in other genres who struggle to sell a fraction of what Eminem does even with several hit singles. For example, Katy Perry's last album had a record for #1 singles, but it sold about 1 million units less than Eminem.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just saw a bunch of trill ? bumpin this track in their whip. I only heard the chorus but when I heard that, I knew what song it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcqablcSCA0
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The general consensus is Eminem can spit but his discography is weak, he releases corny material other 'elite' rappers couldn't get away with and he gets undue praise because of his skincolour. Been skimming through the posts and I have yet to see his fans make a good argument to counter this.
    Guess not lol. He even made a track about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIzD0ZfTFg
    When n*ggas say the exact same thing he said in this joint 11 years ago these fans hit the reaction buttons or try to deflect.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Marshall pretty much admitted on "White America" that his skin color is the reason he's outselling everyone..he's not in denial about it.
  • georgia boi
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    The general consensus is Eminem can spit but his discography is weak, he releases corny material other 'elite' rappers couldn't get away with and he gets undue praise because of his skincolour. Been skimming through the posts and I have yet to see his fans make a good argument to counter this.
    Guess not lol. He even made a track about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIzD0ZfTFg
    When n*ggas say the exact same thing he said in this joint 11 years ago these fans hit the reaction buttons or try to deflect.

When compared to elite rappers, his catalog is weak. That's an opinion that I'm sure is shared by many, but it's still subjective. The same with the corny material that he releases as singles. He doesn't necessarily get a pass for it, because it's Exhibit A of why his catalog is considered weak when compared to the elite. Those same songs that are corny by Hip Hop standards are the same ones that dominate Pop radio. The songs are catchy enough to capture that audience which is apart of his appeal.

Who is giving Eminem undue praise besides the sheep who think Eminem is the GOAT without having listened to other rappers? Many of Eminem's albums have been panned by critics. Em's not exactly a "media darling".

Personally the skin color argument doesn't make sense because it's music. It suggests that nobody's listening to his music and his whole appeal is his skin color. If that's really the case, where does that leave Paul Wall, Bubba Sparxxx, Asher Roth, Macklemore and a host of other white rappers who have only seen a fraction of Em's success? Where does that leave Vanilla Ice and the Beastie Boys who don't have the commercial longevity of Eminem?

It's one thing to say Eminem sells because of his skin color, but it's another if you try to explain how that works logically. If we're using Em's own words are we really going to say that him selling half would be valid. If that's not valid, then how is the rest of the statement supposed to be a written in stone fact.

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marshall pretty much admitted on "White America" that his skin color is the reason he's outselling everyone..he's not in denial about it.

Said it on Rap ? too...
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem is a top 3 rapper of all time, good ? he deserves this.....lyrically very few can ever ? with Eminem
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    y'all talking it overboard acting like that's the only reason y he selling. Em is nice. There's other white rappers that ain't selling ? out here so stop. Nobody seeing Em lyrically
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would say race was an issue if Eminem was just the highest selling rapper, but it's not the case. According to Billboard, Eminem was the highest selling artist of last decade period. That includes the white artists in every genre of music who had bigger hits than Eminem. He's on pace to do the same in this decade. Dude is outselling everybody. People went back and purchased his whole catalog. They didn't even do that with JT who has less albums and he's also white. They just reached back and bought the previous album.

There's white artists in other genres who struggle to sell a fraction of what Eminem does even with several hit singles. For example, Katy Perry's last album had a record for #1 singles, but it sold about 1 million units less than Eminem.

SMH or you could come to a pretty basic and obvious conclusion that Rap/Hip-Hop is the most popular genre overall, and because Em is a WHITE RAPPER, he's the highest selling artist of the last decade.
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem is great but hate the fact..he the highest selling rapper of time simply bc the white folks
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

Everybody remembers it, but even people who use that statement as proof that he sells because of skin color have killed their own argument. If Eminem was Black, he said he'd be selling half which would still make him the highest selling rapper right? How then, does that make him Canibus, if he were Black as people who use Eminem's logic claim?

The point is we can speculate all day, but even Eminem's statement in that song was speculation. It can't be proven. I'm pretty sure the same people who agree with Eminem's statement would call BS on Em still doing Jay Z numbers if he were Black.

So we're taking things literal now? What Em meant by the statement is he would be selling significantly less. The truth is, if he was black he'd be another battle rapper turned emcee and would fail to separate himself from the crowd since there's people who already have that style of rapping.

And to even think that Em would come close to JayZ on an even playing field is ridiculous. JayZ had to start his own business just to get poppin'. Em doesn't have that kind of determination or hustle in him. JayZ is at a much higher level musically, lyrically and business-wise.

... ? , why do you think Nas was getting at him (JayZ) for letting Em arguably have the best verse on the renegade track? Nas' statement was a low key diss towards Em. Real music listeners know Em isn't on that level. If he was, that line wouldn't have hit so hard.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Eminem is a top 3 rapper of all time, good ? he deserves this.....lyrically very few can ever ? with Eminem

Oh ? ! It's already started who are the other 2? I bet it's Biggie and Pac, huh? I told y'all, dead people and white boys.
    gemini86 wrote: »
    y'all talking it overboard acting like that's the only reason y he selling. Em is nice. There's other white rappers that ain't selling ? out here so stop. Nobody seeing Em lyrically

Remember what I said about the King of Hip-Hop. This dude just said Em is the best lyrically, that's pretty close to being King. Give it a couple of years.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    U appear to be really upset about another man's opinion. Interesting
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All hell is going to break loose when Em takes that dirt nap tho.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    All hell is going to break loose when Em takes that dirt nap tho.

cosign, he's gonna end up selling billions.

Haley is well off.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh ? ! It's already started who are the other 2? I bet it's Biggie and Pac, huh? I told y'all, dead people and white boys.
    gemini86 wrote: »

Remember what I said about the King of Hip-Hop. This dude just said Em is the best lyrically, that's pretty close to being King. Give it a couple of years.
    Eminem already solidify his spot he can walk away right now from the game and people will herald him as the best

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SMH or you could come to a pretty basic and obvious conclusion that Rap/Hip-Hop is the most popular genre overall, and because Em is a WHITE RAPPER, he's the highest selling artist of the last decade.

Country and Pop Music are more popular than Rap.

Rock in terms of touring are much popular than Rap music.