Jay Z Issues Statement on Barneys Racial Profiling Controversy

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in The Reason
Jay Z Issues Statement on Barneys Racial Profiling Controversy, 'Has Agreed To Move Forward' With Barneys

In the wake of revelations that Barneys New York had engaged in racial profiling of black customers shopping at the store, Jay Z—who's releasing a holiday collection with the store on November 20—had previously issued a statement that basically amounted to 'I'm looking into it.' Later revelations found that the store had indeed changed their security policies, and as a result, disporportionately targeted black shoppers.

Well, Hov has now weighed in on the matter, in a post to Life + Times. Basically, he's keeping the collection with Barneys, and it will launch as planned.

But there are caveats. Jay brokered one hell of a deal:

- According to the press release, Jay's going to have a leadership role and a seat on a council "specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling."

- As opposed to the 25% of the proceeds Jay's charity was going to get from the collection, Jay negotiated a deal with Barneys where, now, 100% of the proceeds from the collection will now go to Jay's charity, The Shawn Carter Foundation.

- The Shawn Carter Foundation will also recieve 10% of all sales from Barneys New York and Barneys.com on November 20, when his collection drops.

This sounds like the kind of deal one brokers when they have a the opposite side in a sling. It's also savvy as hell. Jay wins on all sides of this—good press on one end, charity money on the other, and he gets a fashion line to go forward—but cynicism about Jay Z's motives aside, if all that money really is going to charity, and not, say, Barneys pockets, there are far worse outcomes.

The entire statement—including Jay's assertion that he's in contact with the New York State Attorney General's office, which, not a sentence we ever thought we'd read in this lifetime—right here:
In the past several weeks two separate investigations were launched as a result of the wrongful detention of Trayon Christian and Kayla Phillips. My team has been privy to the status of the Barneys third party consultant investigation. In continuing our research, we also contacted the New York State Attorney General’s office for the status of their investigation into both Barneys and Macy’s. Those findings are not yet available.

While I await the findings of the Attorney General’s Office, I have agreed to move forward with the launch of BNY SCC collection under the condition that I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling. I am in a unique position to use my voice to affect change to this disturbing issue. The easy position would have been to walk away and leave policy making to others hoping that someone addresses the problem. I will not leave the outcome to others. I will take this into my own hands with full power to recommend, review and revise policies and guidelines moving forward. I am choosing to take this head on.

As I previously stated, the collaboration with Barneys has always been about giving and The Shawn Carter Foundation. From this collection, the Foundation will receive not only 25% of sales, it will now receive the additional 75% of Barneys’ sales, totalling 100% of all sales from BNY SCC. Along with 100% of sales from the collaboration, the Foundation will receive an additional 10% of all retail sales from Barneys New York stores nationwide and Barneys.com on November 20th. - Shawn “JAY Z” Carter

Thoughts?

Comments

• Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only a question: "and this is in whom you wanna place ya faith?"
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopped reading at "agreed to move forward"
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went from getting 25 percent for his foundation, to a 100 percent and 10 percent of all November sales. That's call ? winning and the truth of the matter is no one is gonna remember this Barney's fiasco 2 months from now.

This whole topic was stupid to begin with, it's just like the Imus nappy headed comments. It went from a real issue "racism'' to deflecting the issue to hiphop/Jay-z. We saw how well that worked on the ? idiots with no attention span out there.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z Issues Statement on Barneys Racial Profiling Controversy, 'Has Agreed To Move Forward' With Barneys

In the wake of revelations that Barneys New York had engaged in racial profiling of black customers shopping at the store, Jay Z—who's releasing a holiday collection with the store on November 20—had previously issued a statement that basically amounted to 'I'm looking into it.' Later revelations found that the store had indeed changed their security policies, and as a result, disporportionately targeted black shoppers.

Well, Hov has now weighed in on the matter, in a post to Life + Times. Basically, he's keeping the collection with Barneys, and it will launch as planned.

- According to the press release, Jay's going to have a leadership role and a seat on a council "specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling."

- As opposed to the 25% of the proceeds Jay's charity was going to get from the collection, Jay negotiated a deal with Barneys where, now, 100% of the proceeds from the collection will now go to Jay's charity, The Shawn Carter Foundation.

- The Shawn Carter Foundation will also recieve 10% of all sales from Barneys New York and Barneys.com on November 20, when his collection drops.

This sounds like the kind of deal one brokers when they have a the opposite side in a sling. It's also savvy as hell. Jay wins on all sides of this—good press on one end, charity money on the other, and he gets a fashion line to go forward—but cynicism about Jay Z's motives aside, if all that money really is going to charity, and not, say, Barneys pockets, there are far worse outcomes.

The entire statement—including Jay's assertion that he's in contact with the New York State Attorney General's office, which, not a sentence we ever thought we'd read in this lifetime—right here:
    In the past several weeks two separate investigations were launched as a result of the wrongful detention of Trayon Christian and Kayla Phillips. My team has been privy to the status of the Barneys third party consultant investigation. In continuing our research, we also contacted the New York State Attorney General’s office for the status of their investigation into both Barneys and Macy’s. Those findings are not yet available.

While I await the findings of the Attorney General’s Office, I have agreed to move forward with the launch of BNY SCC collection under the condition that I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling. I am in a unique position to use my voice to affect change to this disturbing issue. The easy position would have been to walk away and leave policy making to others hoping that someone addresses the problem. I will not leave the outcome to others. I will take this into my own hands with full power to recommend, review and revise policies and guidelines moving forward. I am choosing to take this head on.

As I previously stated, the collaboration with Barneys has always been about giving and The Shawn Carter Foundation. From this collection, the Foundation will receive not only 25% of sales, it will now receive the additional 75% of Barneys’ sales, totalling 100% of all sales from BNY SCC. Along with 100% of sales from the collaboration, the Foundation will receive an additional 10% of all retail sales from Barneys New York stores nationwide and Barneys.com on November 20th. - Shawn “JAY Z” Carter

Thoughts?

So lemme get this straight.....

2 ppl launch a complaints against Barney's and NYPD for racial profiling....Jay Z is asked(via petition) by his fans to cut ties with Barney's for being the classist/racist company they are and he ends up brokering himself a deal out of it for more $$ and the 2 ppl that this was all about originally sit and wait on an investigation? He couldnt break em off a piece of change? I wouldnt even be surprised if he gave them hush tickets to one of his concerts.

That's pretty ? up....He chooses to continue business with them knowing what they're all about and taking their money....No different than blood diamonds.

Dude stays hustling his own ppl......

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    you can't just leave a contract.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm actually not mad at this. To quote ? Bill, ? with their cash is the only thing they seem to understand. Protests and rap songs or whatever people are expecting from Jay, while it would be a good gesture, will do little to nothing to solve the problem immediately. All cynicism aside, Barney's are gonna lose a lot more money than they would've if he walked. He's basically setting up shop in their stores, and they're not getting a single penny, and he's taking 10% of ? that's not even his. All because they didn't want a black kid buying their $300 belts. BK all ? day.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Brooklyn keep it on taking it
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Went from getting 25 percent for his foundation, to a 100 percent and 10 percent of all November sales. That's call ? winning and the truth of the matter is no one is gonna remember this Barney's fiasco 2 months from now.

This whole topic was stupid to begin with, it's just like the Imus nappy headed comments. It went from a real issue "racism'' to deflecting the issue to hiphop/Jay-z. We saw how well that worked on the ? idiots with no attention span out there.

question do you get a notification when the words "jay z" are typed or nah
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Translation = ? y'all ? , I'm making money
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    I'm convinced ? didn't even read the article.

This ? posted it at 1am on a Friday night, ? you think?
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? will find a reason to hate on anything this ? does....jay gotta be the only artist out there who can work out a deal to raise even MORE money for charity and ? still come in here and say "see this ? don't care bout his ppl"
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling. I will take this into my own hands with full power to recommend, review and revise policies and guidelines moving forward.

This is the only part I'm interested in and would want more details on. I'm assuming this is a Barney's specific council so for example

- Who is on this council, how many members, what are each members roles and how often will they be meeting?

- In terms of racial profiling, as a suggestion I think they need to identify how many arrests/detentions the store has made against "customers", the racial/gender make up of said individual(s), how many were proved unfounded, review of CCTV and the actions of employees/security guards towards customers within the store etc

- Going from the point above, how will they ensure that this pertinent information is accurately obtained, safeguarded and not manipulated or removed?

• Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All I see is a businessman making a smart business move, it's not like we don't know JayZ is about his money.

Holla at Lord Jamar for that activism ?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? does that mean? Like 1 am is late. I guarantee you traffic to this site ain't slow around that time.
    It just doesn't make sense to critique when you only know part of the story
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's def a win. Receives extra $$$ for his foundation to help his ppl and will be a blk voice on the council.

It would be stupid for every blk person to leave split ways with any company that racially profiles someone.

Plus one of the kids who was profiled said he went in their with his refund check. Priorities all ? up!
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you ? seriously upset about this?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now the only problem is will the highsiddy black folks and upper middle to rich to wealthy white folks purchase his ? along with Barney's ? on Nov 20th to raise that money for the foundation
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Them cats shoulda never went ? their money away buying overpriced ? the barneys. They should have invested that money in Wu-Tang financial. ? gon learn they need to diversify they bonds/set up a 401K earrrrly.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even know why cats was looking at Jay. He was dealing with Barney's on a boardroom level .... not a sales manager in the store ....... the big wigs he was dealing with probably only been to the store once maybe twice before .....

So Barney's just gonna have to get with their HR team to weed out the bad staff they got running the spot, put in some new rules & guide lines, train & retrain employees ..... serve up a public apology ...... what else can they do?

I know they don't mind throwing a few bucks at a charity and saving face, than throwing bucks in those two Black kids pockets and look like they're admitting to knowing how it really go down in their store
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay was mentioned, so he had to make moves on his end to stop it. Why y'all criticizing him for clearing up his name? That was a boss move. Remember, there's a charity foundation involved here.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? still gonna be mad cuz he didn't put it in a rap
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    ? still gonna be mad cuz he didn't put it in a rap

lol what would a rap do?