Homeowner who shot Renisha McBride to be charged with 2nd-degree murder...

Options
124»

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quit being such a cry baby
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You crying over reactions...foh lil midget ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can you have so many posts and not understand how the IC works? You don't get it.
  • can'tyoutell
    can'tyoutell Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I'm in the minority but I support the homeowner and would of done the same thing if someone unfamiliar from another race knocked on my door at that time of night. The girl should of used better judgement on how to handle a situation she put herself in

And ? have the nerve to flag my posts when there is ? like this in here?

It's ? murder any way you put. If knocking on a persons door for help is something that people shouldn't do, I don't wanna live in this country anymore.

T Taylor ur a ? . Word is bond u a ? sucka.

It's not murder. He was defending his home. She trespassed on his property ? with narcotics in her system disturbing the peace by banging on his door loudly at an odd time of night. She could of been an intruder or a decoy for an intruder. He has every right to shoot to ? . She should of called a police officer or tow truck if she really was in distress. He shouldn't have to go to jail because she made a series of poor choices that literally showed up on his doorstep that night. If she wasn't a drug addict and alcoholic she would still be alive.

So knocking on someone's door gives you the right to ? now? Show me that law, ? .
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what I learned in this thread:
    1. being ? or high gives somebody the right to shoot you in the face
    2. you deserve to get shot in the face if you ask for help
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detroitnews.com/article/20131115/METRO01/311150064/1410/METRO01/Parents-welcome-charges-against-Dearborn-Heights-homeowner-teen-s-killing
    Parents welcome charges against Dearborn Heights homeowner in teen's killing

Dearborn Heights— The parents of a Detroit teenager shot and killed while seeking help after a car crash welcomed a decision Friday to charge a Dearborn Heights man with second-degree murder.

Speaking about an hour after prosecutors announced charges against Theodore Paul Wafer, 54, the parents of Renisha McBride, 19, said they’re still trying to understand why he shot her in the face after she banged on his door on a cold, rainy early morning Nov. 2.

“I can’t imagine in my wildest dreams what that man feared from her,” said her mother, Monica McBride.

In announcing the charges, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said the teen was unarmed and didn’t try to break into Wafer’s house after a car accident a mile away. McBride was shot through a locked screen door shortly after 4:30 a.m., Worthy added.

Toxicology results released this week showed McBride had a blood alcohol content of 0.218, more than twice the legal limit, and trace amounts of marijuana in her body. Her family’s attorney, Gerald Thurswell, said McBride needed help and got shot in the face.

“She may have been boisterous, may have been loud (and) noisy, but there was no evidence that she attempted to break into Wafer’s house,” Thurswell said. “This man had absolutely no justification to take his shotgun and blow her head off. He was safe.

“There was no physical confrontation,” he added. “We know she was intoxicated, but that does not give anybody the right to blow off her head.”

The case has attracted national attention and interest from civil rights leaders because of race and debate about the limits of protecting one’s home. Wafer is white. McBride was black.

Wafer wore jeans and a T-shirt and said nothing during his arraignment Friday in 19th District Court. He faces up to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder, manslaughter and possession of a firearm in a felony. Bond was set at $250,000, and he’s due back in court Dec. 18 for a preliminary hearing.

“He will be exonerated ... because of the time and (McBride’s) conditions,” said Mack Carpenter, one of Wafer’s attorneys.

McBride was a 2012 Southfield High School graduate who worked at Ford Motor Co. and loved animals. Wafer is a 20-year maintenance worker at Detroit Metropolitan Airport who cares for his 81-year-old mother and hasn’t had a brush with the law since two drunken driving convictions about 20 years ago.

Their lives collided after McBride’s 2004 Ford Taurus struck a parked car in the 7200 block of Bramell near Warren in Detroit about 12:57 a.m. She walked away from the car and returned to the crash site about a half hour later. Witnesses said she was ? and disoriented, and walked away again. Worthy did not say what happened over the next few hours.

At 4:42 a.m., Wafer phoned 911 from his home on West Outer Drive, recordings released Friday show.

“I just shot somebody on my front porch with a shotgun, banging on my door,” Wafer told dispatchers.

The heavily redacted police reports indicate Wafer allegedly shot the teen once in the face with a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun and had been cooperative with officers.

“Wafer walked out of the side door with his hands out to the sides as officers were approaching the house,” the report reads, adding that Wafer directed police to the gun.

McBride was found dead on the porch, wearing black boots, dark blue jeans and a blue zip-up hooded sweatshirt. She had $56 and her license in her pocket. There were no signs the front door was pried or kicked, according to the report.

Worthy said Wafer opened the front door and shot McBride through the screen door.

“The evidence will show that self-defense was not warranted,” Worthy said.

“Under Michigan law, there is no duty to retreat in your own home; however, someone who claims self-defense must honestly and reasonably believe that he is in imminent danger of either losing his life or suffering great ? harm, and that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent that harm.”

Speaking at a press conference later Friday, the teen’s father, Walter Ray Simmons, and her mother, said she would help anyone, loved soccer and had two sisters. “They don’t get the opportunity to see her blossom and grow,” said Simmons, who called her killer a monster. “He took that from my family. It’s a tragedy. He will get what he deserves at this trial I believe.”

Wafer graduated from Fordson High School in Dearborn and attended Northern Michigan University for about a year. He sought a restraining order in Wayne County Circuit Court in 1995 against an ex-girlfriend who he claimed broke into his home.

“The likelihood of him being a danger to society is very, very small,” his attorney, Carpenter, told the court Friday. “Because of the nature of this crime, it occurred in the early morning hours, he had been sleeping, we feel that he poses a low risk to the community.”

One local attorney, Arnold Reed, who is not involved in the case, said the defense must show Wafer feared for his life when he shot McBride.

“In order to do so, he must take the witness stand at trial and explain exactly how and why he was in fear for his life, when there was no struggle or evidence of forced entry, his screen door was locked and he opened fire on an unarmed victim,” Reed said.

“The defense’s task, as compared to that of the prosecution’s, is akin to climbing Mount Everest backwards in flip flops.”

Civil rights leaders have closely monitored the case. The website ColorOfChange.org had collected more than 40,000 electronic signatures seeking charges, but Worthy said the related publicity did not influence the decision to charge Wafer.

“Undoubtedly, there has been enormous interest in this case, but we do not make decisions in our cases based upon public opinion. We go where the facts and evidence lead us,” said Worthy, flanked by Dearborn Heights police during the announcement outside her offices.

Officials for groups including the NAACP and National Action Network said they plan to monitor the case, including jury selection. Racially diverse juries have sometimes been an issue in Wayne County.

The Rev. Wendell Anthony, president of the Detroit Branch NAACP, applauded the charges and said McBride’s intoxication is a “major distraction” from the tragedy.

“This smells to some like a lack of sobriety should justify homicidal impropriety,” Anthony said. “Intoxication or sobriety is no justification for reckless and irresponsible shooting and ultimately destroying a viable life. One should be able to seek help from his neighbor, whether sober or intoxicated.”
  • Houston Texan
    Houston Texan Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You just have to let this play out in court. He shouldn't have shot and killed her, but he has the right to be suspicious of someone banging on HIS door at 3am...It wasn't like it was 3pm. This is just bad all the way around.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    what I learned in this thread:
    1. being ? or high gives somebody the right to shoot you in the face
    2. you deserve to get shot in the face if you ask for help

you didnt know that?
    you forgot to add the part about being black
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So since somebody has gone past dudes house and took a picture showing no holes in the front door ....... it's safe to say he opened the door and let the shot off

Hell, when the Mormons come knocking, I just speak through the door without opening it "Get the ? from round here wit dat ? !"

If you're a home owner in fear of break in, a gun should not be the only line of defense to have .......

Before you get me to dumping lead you have to be pretty determined to get in my house .....
    motion sensor flood light right at the front & back doors
    security gate door, not to mention keeping doors locked (kicking the door a few times ain't gonna cut it)
    If your car is parked in your garage or driveway, you can always push the panic button to set off the alarm
    dialing 911 isn't rocket surgery
    (dog owners .... let cujo put in work)

If their not scared off by the lights and alarms .... and manage to kick in your front door, then by all means let off shots ..... not all us gun owners are all gung ? about it .... and shouldn't be
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh well...the broad was stupid and the man who shot her was stupid. All around stupid ? .
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    oh well...the broad was stupid and the man who shot her was stupid. All around stupid ? .

Why was she stupid?
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

Why was she stupid?
    He's probably referring to the high level of intoxication; which very likely played a role in her car crash, and ultimately led to her knocking on his door.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still tryna figure out why the hell this cracka open his door in the first place if he was so "fearful"? ? makes absolutely no sense. Most rational ppl would've just spoke to her from behind the door.

He could've very easily avoided killing her.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he screwed himself with the 911 call saying he just shot someone for banging on his door. There was no mention of someone trying to break in or he feared for his life and told the intruder to leave or authorities will be called. He opened the door aimed and shot. i hope this ? rots in jail
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I'm in the minority but I support the homeowner and would of done the same thing if someone unfamiliar from another race knocked on my door at that time of night. The girl should of used better judgement on how to handle a situation she put herself in

And ? have the nerve to flag my posts when there is ? like this in here?

It's ? murder any way you put. If knocking on a persons door for help is something that people shouldn't do, I don't wanna live in this country anymore.

T Taylor ur a ? . Word is bond u a ? sucka.

It's not murder. He was defending his homefrom violent knocking?. She trespassed on his property ? with narcotics in her system disturbing the peace by banging on his door loudly at an odd time of night. we all know DTP and weed is a great reason to murder someone... I should've killed my neighbors years agoShe could of been an intruder or a decoy for an intruder. He has every right to shoot to ? . who knew you could ? someone based on who they could be?She should of called a police officer or tow truck if she really was in distress. I'm sure that was her first thought after her cell phone diedHe shouldn't have to go to jail because she made a series of poor choices that literally showed up on his doorstep that night. asking for help = poor choice. Shooting people in the face who ask for help = great choiceIf she wasn't a drug addict and alcoholic she would still be alive.so its okay to ? addicts and alcoholics?...someone cap Rush Limbaugh...quick

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fact that it is taking as long as it has to arrest this guy tells you everything, ? like this would never fly in the northeast. what did y'all think was going to happen with these stand your ground/castle doctrine laws, it's giving racist crackas a loop hole to ? our children and actually have a chance to get off scot free. This is why it's important to vote on and defeat these ? laws, when we don't this is what happens.
  • TrillLife
    TrillLife Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Options
    right wtf. why do we gotta crusade to get justice.

and we dont even end up getting that!
  • can'tyoutell
    can'tyoutell Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo stringer bell, I gotta give you props. You're always updating these cases with new articles and videos.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stringer Bell = legendary.

Brotha been keeping us posted on relevant news, rather it be sports or national to the things that go unheard in the media.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props stringer. I watched that entire clip. Now we can see what the perspective will be to the jury
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he may get off like Zimmerman because even though he seems wrong he may have been thinking it was a burglar

They should have tried involuntary ormanslaughter
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would shoot them young turks in the face fo'sho'
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Justin Davis murderer sealed his own fate ....hopefully