New York Times: "Macklemore is the first contextually post-black pop-star rapper"

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in The Reason
Post-Black.

They're saying you don't even count anymore.

Lord Jamar was right, once again.

And people are still arguing about New York vs the South????
Power Doses of a Rapper’s Idiosyncratic Religion
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis at Theater at Madison Square Garden

By JON CARAMANICA
6a01676902f49c970b017c3697670c970b-500wi
Published: November 14, 2013

There have been white rap stars before, and white artists who use rapping in a pop framework, but, in effect, Macklemore is the first contextually post-black pop-star rapper. He is a harbinger of cultural and demographic seismic shifts long in motion. His success has taken place largely outside of the traditional hip-hop ecosystem, though his songs have crept onto hip-hop radio, an acknowledgment of their ubiquity and of the diversity of the listening audience.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/arts/music/macklemore-ryan-lewis-at-theater-at-madison-square-garden.html?_r=3&

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    wrong its eminem but ? them for using post black. man im so tired of this society. craccassssssssssssssssss
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The guy writing that is a former Source (Benzino Era) and XXL writer but wtf is post black? Disgusting
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even know what that means

Means that he managed to have success in the realm of "hip-hop" without going through the "traditional" means. "Black" or, primarily hip-hop, stations didn't play his music and he still sold records.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Came to say this.. but i can say i can vibe with macklemore more than em based on the few songs i heard from him
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That sucks. He won't get love from the hip hop heads anymore.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New York Times: "Macklemore is the first contextually post-black pop-star rapper"

Why? cuz he made one pro ? rights/? marriage song?

gtfoh
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Means that he managed to have success in the realm of "hip-hop" without going through the "traditional" means. "Black" or, primarily hip-hop, stations didn't play his music and he still sold records.

O ok well I guess he's in a class of his own then lol he can stay there as far as I'm concerned.
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is disgusting.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still don't even know who he is
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the great white hope....smh
  • nujerz84
    Options
    Macklemore is trash
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here we go again... Now they praising his "post blackness"...
  • nujerz84
    Options
    FXX channel (sorta like FX2) is having a cartoon show based on a white ? gangsta rapper..
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has a real hip hop background...He made music long before hookin up with Ryan Lewis...He's spoken about his inspirations and what he grew up on...Why should he be faulted just cause he did it without some ? co-sign...?

And...? "post black" that sounds incredibly stupid...
  • King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    He has a real hip hop background...He made music long before hookin up with Ryan Lewis...He's spoken about his inspirations and what he grew up on...Why should he be faulted just cause he did it without some ? co-sign...?

And...? "post black" that sounds incredibly stupid...

He could of had that ? cosign from Dre
  • playmaker88
    Options
    yall actin like he wrote the article and or cosigned it
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know about where you're at (or whoever sed that), but every station played thift shop where I'm at when it came out... hip hop, pop, rock... I think I even heard it on a soul station a few times... try to get that kind of exposure as a black artist in any genre...
  • playmaker88
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ben E wrote: »

I don't know about where you're at (or whoever sed that), but every station played thift shop where I'm at when it came out... hip hop, pop, rock... I think I even heard it on a soul station a few times... try to get that kind of exposure as a black artist in any genre...

I've never heard a single Macklemore record...ever. I didn't know this person existed until the IC was talking about his album going platinum.

I exist outside of the loop so I don't know most of these new cats unless the IC talks about them but I know for sure he doesn't get play in detroit because ive never seen or heard anything in support of this guy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.