White Writer for Spin Magazine Goes in regarding Royals and Mackelmore.. white commenters mad

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in The Reason
Tracking the Problematic Path of Lorde's 'Royals' to Rap and R&B Radio

WRITTEN BY
Brandon Soderberg

November 4 2013, 12:08 AM ET

A telling bumper occasionally pops up on our No. 1 radio home for hip-hop and R&B here in Baltimore. It identifies the station and then proudly announces that the playlist features "all shades of R&B." Usually, that's followed by Justin Timberlake's Mike Jack pastiche "Take Back the Night," or Robin Thicke's Pharrell and T.I.-assisted Marvin Gaye and/or Funkadelic mash-up "Blurred Lines." The inclusion of these crooning white boys on the station isn't new, but the decision for black radio, yes black radio, to advertise that it isn't segregated gives off some Twilight Zone vibes, you know? This is "urban" radio in a supposed post-racial America – where black-music outlets, the only interesting or at all rarefied stations left in this hyper-homogenous and bottom-line-desperate music industry, go out of their way to remind you that, "Hey, we'd never deny those poor, unfortunate, white R&B-ers the same opportunities as black artists."

The start of last month marked the tenth anniversary of the last time the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 consisted entirely of black artists. That October 11, 2003 chart included Beyonce, Nelly, Lil Jon, Chingy, Pharrell, Young Bloodz, 50 Cent, Fabolous, Ludacris, and the Black Eyed Peas. In 2013, that same week's chart looked like this: Lorde, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Avicii, Jay Z, Robin Thicke, Ylvis, Lady Gaga, and Lana Del Ray. In-the-pocket, young-gun rappers or R&B-ers like Rich Homie Quan or August Alsina (the 2013 equivalent of a Youngbloodz), or hell, even Kendrick Lamar, a rap superstar but far from a pop superstar, are now restricted to urban radio formats. Quite simply, pop skews much whiter in 2013 than it did in 2003. In part, this is because pop is more fusion-friendly than ever, and the result of that, again and again, is that rap spices up white pop, full stop. At the very moment when rap has been fully absorbed by the mainstream, the mainstream is doing away with the people who brought rap into the mix.

The most recent, loaded example of rap and R&B stations conceding to the music industry's whitewashing is their embrace of Lorde's "Royals." The New Zealand teen's massive hit has some of the electro-buzzing murk of Drake or the Weeknd and drifts at the same BPM as plenty of syrup-afflicted radio R&B, so it isn't an out-of-nowhere inclusion. And "Royals" was first introduced to urban radio thanks to a Weeknd remix, and then by way of a Rick Ross verse added to the song. Unfortunately, urban radio embraced "Royals" despite the fact that Lorde's critique of born-with-this wealth quickly devolved into a crude and offensive stereotyping of hip-hop culture, as she came out against decade-old, rap-video signifiers like "gold teeth," "Cristal," and "Maybachs." In a sense, Lorde is singing about a trend – bling-friendly hip-pop – that doesn't ? the mainstream all that much anymore, but was at the center of pop radio a decade ago. There's a rubbing-your-face-in-it quality to the song, and along with Macklemore's “Thrift Shop,” it marks the second time this year that a white pop song has appeared on hip-hop radio while framing its anti-materialism message around a critique of hip-hop signifiers. At best, these songs are clueless, and with a little benefit of the doubt they are um, accidentally racist. Coupled with the whitening of the pop landscape, and the twisted "Why ain't there no White History Month"-style logic that black radio stations seem to be employing, Macklemore and Lorde have managed to invade rap and R&B playlists while simultaneously lecturing black artists.

In a more balanced climate, the appearance of "Royals" on rap and R&B radio might be a fun little anomaly. Its placement makes some sense, not unlike the rhythmic rock that has earned club play over the years (see SPIN's 'Inorganic at the Disco' list), or the more-rare-but-not-unprecedented example of Jay Z's "99 Problems" which entered alt-rock radio playlists because it had rock'n'roll drums and guitars. "Royals" is an okay piece of arena-oriented indie pop, interesting and, woah, a little weird if your listening habits are entry-level (file it next to Foster the People or Gotye or Lana Del Rey). Since it's a little more patient and woozy than the sugar-rush EDM kicking your eardrums around during the rest of the radio hour, it can pass as R&B. However, those "Royals" remixes with the Weeknd and Ross, roundly forgotten once they justified the song's urban-radio existence, speak to the way that rapping and R&B-inflected crooning have become nothing more than disposable accoutrements in 2013...even on rap and R&B radio. I guess it was just time that we gave all those disadvantaged white artists a fair shot, though, right?

spin.com/articles/lorde-royals-rap-radio-urban-macklemore-thrift-shop/

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does he think Kanye's New Slaves is also racist since it is anti-materialism and apparently only black people are materialistic?

In other words...this writer is kind of racist to think that any anti-materialistic song is against blacks.
  • nujerz84
    Options
    I really find it ironic Rick Ross is on the royals remix

Word...and I dont ? with Ross at all but like dawg she criticizing you man.
  • JerfyT
    Options
    Materialism is a flaw. Speaking out against it shouldn't be considered controversial. And certainly not racist.
  • nujerz84
    Options
    JerfyT wrote: »
    Materialism is a flaw. Speaking out against it shouldn't be considered controversial. And certainly not racist.

Its not racist but frankly I tell that chick to shut the ? up.

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been told ? about that song...
  • JerfyT
    Options
    Champagne is ? nasty too. You pay more than $1 a glass for that ? you got ripped off, let alone $400 a bottle.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that song Royals is taking shots at pop culture both HipHop and alternative pop rock as some references in it clearly allude to both cultures aspects. Given she is a foreigner and it has been thoroughly established over the years that american 15 minutes crazes tend to take longer to latch on and then last longer duration out of our own society the relevance of her song still remains. all in all the song is catchy and unique sounding so it has instant recognition thus making it get more airplay. NOt a horrible song with some points on materialism if we disect the lyrics further you can see that it is not racist it is classist as the songs name implies and lyrics states their are many swipes also @english/british culture and the royal family aspirations of many in the populace so focusing on the hiphop criticism and making it a race thing is doing noone justice and missing the point of the song...
  • nujerz84
    Options
    Yes its classiest and I guess elitist in a sense looking down on others for living lavishly.
  • JerfyT
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Yes its classiest and I guess elitist in a sense looking down on others for living lavishly.

For good reason. ? the bougie Mitt Romney's of the world born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and the idiots that worship them.
  • nujerz84
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

For good reason. ? the bougie Mitt Romney's of the world born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and the idiots that worship them.

Doesnt apply to hiphop though..when many came from dirt to millionaires...so I dont fault them for flaunting while musically it can suck ? it best believe if I win Mega Millions or Powerball I will flash it.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    My thing is, when De La Soul, the Roots and them were talking down on materialism people ? on them. I hope those same people don't take this little girl's words seriously.

Word. Like this ? or ? 's like her was supporting ? like that. Nah, they were supporting ? that became popular, marketable & about the lowest common denominator (ie. flashy ? ).
  • nujerz84
    Options
    Some of the ? she referencing was already out the game..she only 16 but they could have caught on late.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Kats getting on this lil white girl need to really breakdown what she is saying and not just breakdown a excerpt for interpretation and take offense at that with out the rest of the lyrics as contexts to the point of the song...
    "Royals"

[Verse 1]
    I've never seen a diamond in the flesh
    I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies
    And I'm not proud of my address,
    In a torn-up town, no postcode envy

But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom
    Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
    We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
    But everybody's like Cristal*, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
    Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash.
    We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair.

And we'll never be royals (royals).
    It don't run in our blood,
    That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
    We crave a different kind of buzz.
    Let me be your ruler (ruler),
    You can call me queen Bee
    And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
    Let me live that fantasy.

[Verse 2]
    My friends and I—we've cracked the code.
    We count our dollars on the train to the party.
    And everyone who knows us knows that we're fine with this,
    We didn't come for money.

But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom.
    Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
    We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
    But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
    Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
    We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair

It don't run in our blood
    We crave a different kind of buzz.

Ooh ooh oh
    We're bigger than we ever dreamed,
    And I'm in love with being queen.
    Ooh ooh oh
    Life is great without a care
    We aren't caught up in your love affair.

It don't run in our blood
    We crave a different kind of buzz

oh yeah ? creeping out the closet agenda Macklemore...
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does he think Kanye's New Slaves is also racist since it is anti-materialism and apparently only black people are materialistic?

In other words...this writer is kind of racist to think that any anti-materialistic song is against blacks.

right on cue... the general of the White Rapper Defense Forces.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JerfyT
    edited November 2013
    Options

right on cue... the general of the White Rapper Defense Forces.

Lorde isn't a rapper...I'm saying that an anti-materialistic message is race neutral, and should be. And a white writer that makes the point that blacks are uniquely materialistic should look in the mirror to see racism, not in the lyrics of a young girl.