Jay-Z finally got that "Basquiat" painting he been rapping about..

Options

Comments

• The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my little boys picture on the fridge ? on this.
  • GovernmentCheese
    GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could somebody explain the "message" in that painting to me? im not smart enough the figure this ? out, Jay lost if he paid mills for that ? , whats the message?

Bruh, paintings are a big investment. Art is as much of an investment as real estate is. You turn around and sell it years later for a profit..it's how the rich get richer. You could make more money by storing $4.5 million in a painting and then selling than a bank while collecting interest. It's not just "paint on a canvas". Cars are far more worse when we're talking investments, they lose so much value as time goes on.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont know about them but i wasnt tryna be funny

Me either I'm trying to get paid

• lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in before this thread turns into posters upping their own hand drawn work of rappers thinking,''if there's one time i can get away with this....''
  • nillerthekid
    nillerthekid Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is ugly to me but another smart move by Jay, paintings only grow in value making them worth investing in. Ten years later .... $$$$$

Only if the artist "stays hot". Imo using a painting by a relatively new artist as an investment can be dangerous, it will only increase value if Basquiat remains "hot", and could just as well be another in for the moment artist
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could somebody explain the "message" in that painting to me? im not smart enough the figure this ? out, Jay lost if he paid mills for that ? , whats the message?
    It's art. The meaning could be "I need to get my life together" or it could be "I'm in love with that girl". whatever you get from it is the answer, there's no right and wrong.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    e0srrc.png

took me 5 mins to draw that.with one hand.

where the ? is my 6 million?

GOAT post lol
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    No wonder his collection is that expensive, camel ass ? is trying to cover up for the economic losses after buying a painting that might as well have been drawn by a demented Alzheimers patient.
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    Options
    "Jay Z has had a love affair with the late graffiti artist and fellow Brooklyn native for several years"

That explains why Basquiat was doing heroin until he OD'd on it. Just waiting for a lick of sense to kick into Beyonce's pea of a brain and BOOM! She'll be doing the same thing.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Damn I can draw in that range, these type of drawings/paintings is worth serious loot? *pulls out paint*
    lamontbdc wrote: »

No ? .....I got rack of ? like this on my 3rd grade resume

? ?
    it aint about the ? picture itself its about the message the artist was trying to get across
    lots of peopel today can paint mimicking picasso or van gogh
    but they not comparable artists they just copiers
    put it this way
    rapping has advanced now to where many ppl can rap as good as sugarhill gang did back in 1978
    but that doesnt mean you will have the success they had if you did that today
    but back then it was unique and new and not seen and represented something
    but art world moves on
    this is the same in any art
    citizen kane was a dope movie when it came out in 1938
    if u made that ? now you wouldnt win oscars and ? , hell that ? would be a straight to dvd at best, and thats if you got someone to put money behind it, which is unliekly
    when jaws came out it was the scariest movie ever and ppl literally were afraid to go into the water, trips to beach resorts areas went down dramatically, and sharks, who had only attacked like 20 ppl in the 30 years prior to jaws coming out
    all of a sudden became an endangered species cause ppl were killing sharks left and right afraid a "jaws" scenario might happen
    today if jaws came out not only would it not be scary, but there are scarier things coming on tv at 4pm in an random episode of criminal minds or some ?
    if you made jaws today you woudlnt make as much money as jaws made at the time, movies have gone way passed that
    but that doesnt mean we should look at jaws and say its some ?
    same thing with this basquiat ?

Feelings like a ? . You know damn well this ? aesthetically looks like a 3rd grade painting/drawing. But hey, as Warhol says, "Art is anything you can get away with."

thats the same thing ppl say about hip hop you know. "it ain real music, any idiot can do it"
    when billy joel made "we didnt start the fire" he said look i can just put words together and rhyme them, he made it in 5 minutes and it was a big hit too
    you know you heard ppl say anyone can rap
    but u disregard them cause they aint in the rap world so they dont know what they talking about
    same thing here
    but by all means
    just like ppl say "anyone can rap i can do that"
    if you think u can do this in 5 minutes or if your 3rd grade portfolio is this good
    and u aint making millions
    then u a stupid ?
    go do it, or else ?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Damn I can draw in that range, these type of drawings/paintings is worth serious loot? *pulls out paint*

? ?
    it aint about the ? picture itself its about the message the artist was trying to get across
    put it this way
    rapping has advanced now to where many ppl can rap as good as sugarhill gang did back in 1978
    but art world moves on
    if u made that ? now you wouldnt win oscars and ? , hell that ? would be a straight to dvd at best, and thats if you got someone to put money behind it, which is unliekly
    when jaws came out it was the scariest movie ever and ppl literally were afraid to go into the water, trips to beach resorts areas went down dramatically, and sharks, who had only attacked like 20 ppl in the 30 years prior to jaws coming out
    all of a sudden became an endangered species cause ppl were killing sharks left and right afraid a "jaws" scenario might happen
    today if jaws came out not only would it not be scary, but there are scarier things coming on tv at 4pm in an random episode of criminal minds or some ?
    if you made jaws today you woudlnt make as much money as jaws made at the time, movies have gone way passed that

Feelings like a ? . You know damn well this ? aesthetically looks like a 3rd grade painting/drawing. But hey, as Warhol says, "Art is anything you can get away with."

thats the same thing ppl say about hip hop you know. "it ain real music, any idiot can do it"
    when billy joel made "we didnt start the fire" he said look i can just put words together and rhyme them, he made it in 5 minutes and it was a big hit too
    but u disregard them cause they aint in the rap world so they dont know what they talking about
    same thing here
    but by all means
    if you think u can do this in 5 minutes or if your 3rd grade portfolio is this good
    then u a stupid ?
    go do it, or else ?

Brother, any one can rap. That doesn't mean that they are crafty with it. Anybody can draw wiggly lines too. See where I'm going? ? didn't make ? . All the crackers who hyped up made a killing. Between him and the tomato soup guy, they had people going. At least Warhol ate off it though.
  • SheerExcellence
    edited November 2013
    Options

I know everyone gonna just flag this and say im wack or others will disagree and put feelings and say this is a bunch of scribblings that dont mean ? , and so be it
    but ? the price for a second. basquiat didnt create this thinking "im going to make millions" in fact the very piece itself is the opposite of that

he grew up bklyn and ran away from home at the age of 15 sleeping in park benches and living as a ? in the mid 70s up until the 80s with reganomics and ? you see two very different nyc's one as ? /drug/crime filled, and one with wall street rich ass ? that were supposed to be all pristine and clean
    you got ppl going to prisons in the hood, while the rich are being lauded as bringing nyc back
    you gotta remember in 60s and 70s nyc wasnt no place like it is now, it was much more urban and grittier
    but the wall street bankers came in with their trickle down economics and their financial tricks and all of a sudden money was flowing in and the urban rougher areas were being displaced

now you may think this is all good, but those wall street ppl being all looked up to, while they still doing the same dirt and doing drugs and are evil and criminal like too, but they walk around with they chest poked out like they some big shots, they look down on the black, spanish, urban minorities, they walk around like they hot ? in their big fancy buildings and high rises they look down on the urban poor while they think very highly off themselves
    well basquiat looks down on them
    instead of making their high rises all nice and pretty and statuesque and fancy
    he makes them look like children buildings
    cause they are kids to him
    he puts himself above them all, that is the reason why the king crown is on top
    he sees above all this ?
    he realizes that all this fancy ? aint ? , its childs play, and it doesnt lead you to a better status in life, its just like kids playing with dolls
    also some of those buildings look kinda like prisons, esp the one on the right
    maybe he is equating the new fancy ? with all these buildings as some sort of ? that traps you and he is equating that to a real prison
    those to lines could be train tracks
    maybe he saying this is what its like on the other side of the tracks, but its the same ? , ppl still in prisons trapped y corporate greed
    but me me the poor urban youth who grew up here
    i know these ppl aint better than me
    they on drugs just like me
    they breathe same air i breathe
    and they put they pants on one leg at a time just like me
    so the fact that I HAVE THIS KNOWLEDGE puts me above them all, im the real king
    im the real person who has knowledge of self
    they walk around and look down on me
    but i really am above them all
    cause i know money can't by me whats most important, and thats knowledge of self
    now
    the actual texture of the painting and the depth of the black and the yellows/orange, and the contrast might show more of the emotion he was feeling at the time he made it
    and maybe that all comes thru and means something to jay-z since he essentially has done the same thing wiith his life
    maybe he makes paintings primitive and simple looking cause ppl think blacks all simple and stupid, but the understanding of truth and knowlege come thru so clearly that he showing he the real king, even when he painting ? like a child, the simple child ppl think blacks are.

but i dont know i never met basquiat so i didnt ask him what he meant when he made this

maybe it dont mean ?
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Brother, any one can rap. That doesn't mean that they are crafty with it. Anybody can draw wiggly lines too. See where I'm going? ? didn't make ? . All the crackers who hyped up made a killing. Between him and the tomato soup guy, they had people going. At least Warhol ate off it though.

i'[m not going to go back and forth with you
    you dont gotta tell me about warhol i went to the same college he went to
    he trolled ppl a lot so if you think he "had ppl going" then so be it
    whatever, u guys like what u like im not here to change your minds
    dude asked what it meant, i told u one possible interpretation
    to you its just a bunch of squiggily lines so thats cool too
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But basquiat was a ? ....the ? agenda continues.
  • GovernmentCheese
    Options
    Heroin junkie scribbles are worth a lot to rich people if they died young and painted like 4th graders.

I never got this kind of "art". Show me some Salvador Dali or some Van Gogh, I get that. This is just crude and basic.

Come on bruh, that's just disrespect. To not be a fan is one thing but he was a good dude. I'm not a fan of his paintings but his graffiti work is GOAT.

Jean-michel-basquiat.jpg

Jean-Michel-Basquiat-Graffiti.jpg

34232786.jpg
  • GovernmentCheese
    edited November 2013
    Options
    ? is ugly to me but another smart move by Jay, paintings only grow in value making them worth investing in. Ten years later .... $$$$$

Only if the artist "stays hot". Imo using a painting by a relatively new artist as an investment can be dangerous, it will only increase value if Basquiat remains "hot", and could just as well be another in for the moment artist

In for the moment? Staying hot? The Art world is different from the entertainment industry where artist value depends on their relevance and the whole "what have you done for me now" attitude. Basquiat is one of the the pioneers of Graffiti art and was able to get his work into galleries. His name will forever be hot in the Art community. Not even trying to come at you bro, I just see a lot of ignorance in this thread. It's like people are so quick to knock what they don't understand instead of trying to be open minded.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've noticed that with art often it's more important who drew it and what their story is than the actual piece.

Shots fired at Frida kahlo's unibrow ass
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    man i understand it "Art" but i hate when they say it Graffiti ? aint graff
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? ?
    put it this way
    but art world moves on

same thing here
    but by all means
    then u a stupid ?
    go do it, or else ?

...again, feelings like a ?
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? art is trash. People amaze me with the ? they put price tags on
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Basquiat died from a heroin overdose..
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gonna have to ask mom's to pull out my grade school drawings and get in the game.
    I know i got some grade school work in the attic ? could be worth a few
    Is this ? serious? That painting looks like something my 4 year old niece might draw.