White Writer for Spin Magazine Goes in regarding Royals and Mackelmore.. white commenters mad

Options
12346»

Comments

• Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Werd I don't see anyone try to tell Mexicans Mariachi is not Mexican music.

No but good luck telling a Mexican that Cumbia is from Colombia or a Puerto Rican than Reggaton comes from Panama.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm pretty sure blacks originated opera as well as classical and everything else. You have to remember that whites can be traced back to illiterate tribes behind the Caucasian mountains and had to be taught how to write, read, talk and clean themselves.

anyway I think this 15 yr old is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSc8_LoiY7s&feature=youtu.be
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • indyman87
    Options
    I could care less. But my interest was piqued when White writers was asking why her song ( whom even they considered to be some what racist ) was getting major play on R&B radio and then I did a quick one page internet check and found out that her Father was a Civil engineer and her Mother was a prize winning poet. She's not poor at all but somewhere between upper middle class and middle class. Like the poster above I try to back track and re-discover old music.
  • indyman87
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/doublespeaklockstep/comments/1nrqv0/royals_by_lorde_racist_longhorn666/

Veronica Bayetti Flores of feministing says the following:

"While I love a good critique of wealth accumulation and inequity, this song is not one; in fact, it is deeply racist. Because we all know who she’s thinking when we’re talking gold teeth, Cristal and Maybachs. So why ? on black folks? Why ? on rappers? Why aren’t we critiquing wealth by taking hits at golf or polo or Central Park East? Why not take to task the bankers and old-money folks who actually have a hand in perpetuating and increasing wealth inequality? I’m gonna take a guess: racism. I don’t have to explain why wealth operates differently among folks who’ve grown up struggling because this ? has been explained already: If you grew up with holes in your zapatos you’d celebrate the minute you was having dough."http://feministing.com/2013/10/03/wow-that-lorde-song-royals-is-racist/
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Werd I don't see anyone try to tell Mexicans Mariachi is not Mexican music.

No but good luck telling a Mexican that Cumbia is from Colombia or a Puerto Rican than Reggaton comes from Panama.

Its still latin/latino music. Poor comparison.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So now people are mad because a white girl is dissing materialism in hiphop over a hiphop sounding beat? You really think that white people, the same white people that y'all think are the only people who buys CDs wouldn't eventually have people say that they're tired of what's going on hiphop? Grown ass men are letting a 17 year old girl hurt their feelings talking about hiphop. Personally I can't believe were having this conversation in 2013.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Royal song is fire.

this is not all bad because back in the day radio was different

You would here Pil Collins then hear Run DMC

The music is already merging, why not give everybody equal footing?
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blah blah blah. If they had blogs in the days of vanilla ice or marky mark, this person would be saying the same ? minus the part about materialism. But I love to see white folks catch feelings when race is brought up because it shows their hypocrisy. Like they don't sit at the dinner table and try to stick it to blacks at any chance they get during a family conversation. Or if you dig deep enough in their old family photos you won't see a picture of them at a lynching or their great grand father holding a sign saying no negros at our schools. And this article is sarcasm at best. I don't trust crackers its always a motive to their movements.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mainstream rap shouldn't be absent of critique. Don't get butt hurt cuz some white girl is pointing it out. Be upset of the decline of Black radio from an ownership standpoint, mainstream music, and the love of the almighty dollar over substance.
    Great post..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    The game never changed.... Music never had any owners just listeners... listeners become fans...... fans become artist..... It don't matter the color how you got Hendrix, Beastie Boys, Hootie and Thicke.

Black people never stopped doing blues, jazz or rock and they will never stop doing hip hop. Those who market the music just stopped trying to sell it to our communities and saw money trying to sell it to others.

This. One of my favorite mixtapes in the past few years is from this white dude named OnCue. He was pretty much a prototype of Mackelmore. Come to think about it, there were a lot of Mackelmore prototypes looming underground in the late 90s and early 2000s. I actually wanted to hear dudes like Atmosphere and Cage on the radio. Even though they don't have a traditional hip hop sound, they weren't dudes that the industry built. They were simply fans of the music that respected the art enough to start their grind in their own homes.

Some of these people made me wanna rap, and I'm sure a few others as well, black or white. If and when we hear something dope, we'll naturally wanna be a part of it. Em influenced a lot of black and white kids to rap, and it wouldn't have happened if he didn't make hip hop stations. Granted, he had MTV, but Hot 97 isn't exactly mom and pop either. So I don't think a white person should exempt from urban radio if they're dope, cuz it'll stifle the creativity of those they could've inspired. Though I think black artists delivering the same message with less pull in the industry need more representation on the radio. The Lorde song is dope, but like Trinidad James said, "right message, wrong messenger".

dude is from CT he opened up for i believe it was luda when they had the concert at my college in CT hes pretty dope didn't hear much of his stuff but repsect the material i heard and the stuff he did at the show.

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya ? still listening to radios for your music??? We have stations that deal in pay to play for decades, we have labels that push the same artist or type of artist for rap (not hip hop which is the culture) as well as R&B on radios, most call it hating when our own speak on what she said or they get no airplay to voice important thoughts, if it ain't a club banger djs not trying to play it, and generally see folks ignore R&B artists that are out the mold box to listen to the cardboard cutouts. Be ashamed of yourselves or the ones you do or don't know who perpetuate the cycle we've been in.