Comments

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i tried to read the op but ? is a wall of text, ill try again later
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would place my son (or daughter) in an ideal segregated school.
    7figz wrote: »
    I don't see why not. They could still learn what they need to know about other races, but they could also benefit by learning from their own race.

And let's not act like the American school system is the greatest. There's way better school systems out there. People send their children away to other schools all the time, and I doubt anyone considers it racist.

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think you can actually have an "ideal" segregated school unless you know for a fact that the kids that go there are going to all go on to live segregated lives.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i didn't vote because i'm not thinking about having kids at the moment but i'm curious to ask what magazine are you refering to?
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm thinking outside of this lollygaggin liberal ideology of "1 (blacks) for all and all for their own (other than blacks)"... It's like we blacks feel as if we cant get a gatdamn thing done on our own without the help from others.

We found out the hard way that we still dont get any assist from anyone other than ourselves. Problem is the taxes we pay as blacks are invested 90+% into white projects.

Under segregation we could have made ways to get a far greater return on what we put out and develop from out of our own money being in our own ? .

Instead our taxes are mingled with the majority and the majority benefit the most from the black tax base and we find ourselves beggin for a significant handback that we will never see.

We need to return to a modern form of consolidated segregation in effort to see what we missed out on once we traded our cash cow in for a imaginary magic bean (MLK's nightmare)
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Progress is subjective. What has occurred over the past 50 years is just not enough imo. I agree that America's school system trails behind already...but we mustn't forget that Black youths are carved at the bottom of this already tottering totem pole. Besides increasing teacher's pay, what other adjustments could be had to improve the system? Good looks on the response.

The paying of the teachers would have a trickle down effect that would greatly benefit the entire system. The increase in salary would bring with it a more competitive field and a better quality of prospective teachers, the willingness to go beyond the classroom (i.e. frequent tutoring, additional teaching resources, etc) would rise, the overall demeanor of teachers would increase providing a better experience for the student (see: "I don't get paid enough to deal with this ? "), etc. etc.

Both of my parents are teachers. Upon starting they were supposed to receive an annual raise (as most states do) but their salary has been frozen for 6 years now. They go above and beyond and far more than I would have given the situation. It's just not worth it to be a teacher anymore...you have to genuinely have an undying passion to assist students and be accepting of the fact you will not be getting paid what you "deserve".

I used to want to be a math teacher, I have too many hours of math tutoring under my belt and have been working with an education based software company for over a year creating math based lessons/curriculum. I make more creating these lessons than starting teachers do and honestly that's sad considering the fact I have no direct interaction with the people that use this program.

You really need to find a way to get teachers to care because a lot of these "bad kids" aren't going to get what they need in their home life. We are essentially asking teachers to not only teach but to raise the youth in many cases and that just isn't fair to them...easiest way to get people to care and/or try harder: pay them.

All good points. I have professors in my family and you do truly have to love the work to supplement what little you receive financially. I considered being a teacher for a short while, but knew it would not suffice for the lifestyle I'm planning to live. Can't tell you how many "teachers" have the credentials but not the heart to teach. Just this semester, I've had to be my own teacher in a particular subject because the professor was sorely lacking in being able to properly relate the material. Our class size plummeted from an already scanty 13 students to 6. It has been a horrible experience. Teachers such as those need their merit examined.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I opt for the current integrated system.
    You judge the seeds by the yield.
  • SixSickSins
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    @Six

yes, knowledge is always best straight from the source. But are you planning on teaching only from a Black perspective and only things directly related to Blacks?

Primarily. Any life that exits my ? will have no need, nor interest, in other less worthy studies. Everything else they wish to know that involves lesser races will simply come second..like an extracurricular.
    VIBE wrote: »
    Couldn't do segregated schooling, sends the wrong message and would only reignite the petty racial ? .

Current schooling >>

I can handle the rest

Only a white would attempt to undermine the heavy importance race will eternally exercise. I don't fault you; I know you can never truly understand.
    i didn't vote because i'm not thinking about having kids at the moment but i'm curious to ask what magazine are you refering to?

...Are you serious? The thread was prefaced with statements indicating the particular magazine. Go read before I place you in an ideal segregated school.

@Rahlow Beautifully written. MLK's dream is but a magic bean as you stated. Goat'd, my brother.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only problem with segregation was it was never equal whites went out of thier way to make sure of that and when blacks made good by themselves whites would come in just to ? it up I.E blackwallstreet
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once upon a time schools were segregated, it didn't work. This is the problem with the young Black revolutionaries they have no sense of history and no prospective. They think that all our problems are due to white people and segregation will solve everything. I'll leave a post I made from a previous thread in here to be explain my position.

white715 wrote: »
    What you don't understand is there is no such thing as seperate but equal. Black people had second class education, healthcare, and housing. In a lot of places they couldn't even see the doctor or dentist they had to go to the vet. So this fairytale of blacks having it so good before intergration is wrong.

SMH at yall still falling for the Martin vs. Malcolm okeydoke, yall negroes are well trained.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our education system for all america focuses too much on testing rather than teaching and free expression
  • SixSickSins
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Only problem with segregation was it was never equal whites went out of thier way to make sure of that and when blacks made good by themselves whites would come in just to ? it up I.E blackwallstreet

Yep, which is why I said 'ideal segregation' i.e sans the secondhand textbooks and other learning materials, etc. We need to write our own textbooks to be used in instruction.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    We also can't pretend that most schools in the U.S. aren't still segregated.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I aint read the article, but I will say, it is foolish to think you can be equal while you are different. Take blacks in the US for example, you can preach all that equality ? , but, if at the end of the day, if you are black, and your checks are signed by white people, your schools are run by whites, your laws are written by whites, your economy is controlled by whites, and most importantly, there are white faces on your money, you will never be equal in this country.

This doesnt just go for African Americans in the US though. Its the same anywhere. Im not black or white, im Kurdish from Turkey and we have the same problem there. You cannot be 100% equal if you do not rule your own disposition and land.

So, if you make the case that segregation will lead to a true federal system, in which, African Americans will have control of their own communities, their own economy, police that community, control their own education system, and then, while tying back to the US like a federal system would, have a set number of seats in parliament to look out for that community, then I will say that segregation will lead to more freedom and equality for African Americans in the US.

Again, I didnt read the article though.
  • SixSickSins
    Options

We need to make them ideal: Black-owned & operated.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THIS.............IS................. WONDERFUL
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'M WATCHING A TIME TO ? AND IM ALREADY MAD
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My choice is evident. My child's academic success>>>this diversity 'we are the world' bs that is being force fed.

Aren't you the ? I saw who stuck peanut butter between her flopping ? ?

Lets be honest, you are gonna send your kid wherever they are offering a free breakfast or lunch program.

Damn I must of missed that, pics?
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i agree though. titangraph alert
    when i went to kindergarten......? it. i wouldnt read my own ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As someone who went to majority black middle and high schools as well as an HBCU, I fail to see how race plays into this ? in any major way. There is most definitely a eurocentric lean in a lot of curricula out there, but race doesn't factor into subjects like math, sciences, other languages, etc... but people are still failing that ? . The curricula isn't built for asians in mind either, yet they are thriving. So why can't we? Maybe it's because we spend too much time trying to blame others for our failures than figuring out what we can do better.

I haven't done any kind of nationwide study so all I can speak on is my personal experience. I remember in high school the handful of whites there generally did better than a lot of the blacks. It wasn't because they were smarter though. It was because even the ? and ? -ups actually bothered to do their work. ? on the other hand were completely blowing the ? off and doing things like sleeping through the Exit Exam. On top of that, when the white kids ? up, their parents were on their ? . When the black kids ? up, their parents either didn't give a ? or wanted to fuss at the teacher rather than get on their kids.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As someone who went to majority black middle and high schools as well as an HBCU, I fail to see how race plays into this ? in any major way. There is most definitely a eurocentric lean in a lot of curricula out there, but race doesn't factor into subjects like math, sciences, other languages, etc... but people are still failing that ? . The curricula isn't built for asians in mind either, yet they are thriving. So why can't we? Maybe it's because we spend too much time trying to blame others for our failures than figuring out what we can do better.

I haven't done any kind of nationwide study so all I can speak on is my personal experience. I remember in high school the handful of whites there generally did better than a lot of the blacks. It wasn't because they were smarter though. It was because even the ? and ? -ups actually bothered to do their work. ? on the other hand were completely blowing the ? off and doing things like sleeping through the Exit Exam. On top of that, when the white kids ? up, their parents were on their ? . When the black kids ? up, their parents either didn't give a ? or wanted to fuss at the teacher rather than get on their kids.

@bolded. wouldnt integration be an effect of that? now the house hold is broke up. black ? rather have kids to get food stamps and child support than just wait to atleast you graduate from high school? or what about their aint no good man but when one does come by me he's a lame as ? black woman? doggie. integration is baaaaaaaaad. and i know that from first hand experience
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »

@bolded. wouldnt integration be an effect of that? now the house hold is broke up. black ? rather have kids to get food stamps and child support than just wait to atleast you graduate from high school? or what about their aint no good man but when one does come by me he's a lame as ? black woman? doggie. integration is baaaaaaaaad. and i know that from first hand experience

Huh? How is integration responsible for any of that? Now I admit, I've never read through the full law that integrated the country but I don't remember integration mandating any of that ? .

Again, it seems to me that people want to just take black problems and blame them on everyone else rather than look inward. People like to throw out that black families and the community in general were stronger before integration and then label integration as the cause. That's bad logic. That's like saying that black people were more productive with their days before slavery, so the abolition of slavery is the reason for a lot of the laziness you see since then.

Integration isn't bad. If it was, all non-white communities would be suffering. Asian Americans are doing well. The Hispanic Community is on the rise. Hell, even Blacks who immigrate here from outside of America do well for themselves. The difference between us and them is that they are out there working to succeed and instilling those principles in their children, while we're failing and then doing everything we can to find someone to blame for those failures.
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    I like how you broke the first post down to trick me into thinking I wasn't reading that much /:)

I can't speak for other areas, but I just don't think I could put my child in ANY public school here in Chicago. There really is no such thing as a ethnically integrated school setting in this city. I went to Whitney Young, which is about the closest you're gonna get to having diversity of curriculum and among the student populous. As a young child, I went to a struggling, resource deprived, high crime community elementary school, where I flourished, yet that was in spite of all of the distractions. If there is such a thing as an all-black, well-performing, competitive school where resources are abundant and they can also have the sort of culturally enriching experience that I had, I'm all for it.

Edit: I think I voted wrong.

Whitney young class of '05 ...

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »

Huh? How is integration responsible for any of that? Now I admit, I've never read through the full law that integrated the country but I don't remember integration mandating any of that ? .

Again, it seems to me that people want to just take black problems and blame them on everyone else rather than look inward. People like to throw out that black families and the community in general were stronger before integration and then label integration as the cause. That's bad logic. That's like saying that black people were more productive with their days before slavery, so the abolition of slavery is the reason for a lot of the laziness you see since then.

Integration isn't bad. If it was, all non-white communities would be suffering. Asian Americans are doing well. The Hispanic Community is on the rise. Hell, even Blacks who immigrate here from outside of America do well for themselves. The difference between us and them is that they are out there working to succeed and instilling those principles in their children, while we're failing and then doing everything we can to find someone to blame for those failures.

Any black person under the age of 70 saying integration was bad should be ignored honestly.
  • SneakDZA
    Options

We need to make them ideal: Black-owned & operated.

But what I don't understand about your premise is if we did have segregated schools that were in fact completely equal in terms of the teachers, conditions and resources... what would be the benefit of them being segregated?