Tech N9ne Doesn't Believe Jay Z or Lil Wayne Freestyle Lyrics

Options

Comments

• international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Was actually trying to avoid this thread, but ? it... What exactly is the purpose of not having to write ? down? Just so you could seem brighter, smfh...and how long does that process take, tech made it seem like it wasn't that quick of a process, then forgetting and trying to remember , jay himself said he lost materials worth of music becuz of this ? , then you'd get a ? like PAC that would have 5 songs knocked out in less than hour and outshine the ? outta these type ? , foh, with this ? ...these ? stay trying to look for ways to seem 'superior' but fail, miserably, at least in the eyes of those that identify the bs that these ? stay tryna pull, smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly. And it's not good to do that either. Big Boi did it for the first Outkast album. Then Dre taught him how to write the lyrics down and craft them, and Big has been improving lyrically ever since. I don't care who you are or what kind of writing you do, you product can only get better by you writing it down and going over it a few times.

You might get (the perception of) a better product, but you lose the natural flow of things. Now the verse has a higher chance of coming out extra mechanical on some rhyme ever word ? or line up every syllable ? or even some overly complex ? like Aesop Rock and them.

Some people like that ? , but most don't.

I have no idea what you're talking about and don't agree that happens. Again, Big Boi is someone who admitted to originally doing what Wayne and Jay say they do, and he changed it up. His verses are no more mechanical than they ever were, but the lyrics are better crafted. There is absolutely no reason writing your lyrics as they come to mind should change anything. As a matter of fact, nowadays you don't even have to write yourself. As many speech to text options as there are out there now, you can spit that ? , capture it, and then refine it easily. There is no way in hell you're going to tell me that a ? like Wayne couldn't improve that garbage he spits by revising it a little after the fact.

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "know the same ? I don't write be the illest ? that's ever been recited in the game word to the hyphen in my name"
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    what if i say....clear
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think these days you can tell that they both dont write lyrics. I remember when TI came out and said he started to do ? off the dome and we got TI vs TIP. He said he started writing again and we got Paper Trail. Theyre cheating fans by doing that ? .

True, 90% of rappers spud better writing their lines down IMO. Most rappers that don't write, their music lacks structure and verses are incoherent

• ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    c.b.b. wrote: »
    I think these days you can tell that they both dont write lyrics. I remember when TI came out and said he started to do ? off the dome and we got TI vs TIP. He said he started writing again and we got Paper Trail. Theyre cheating fans by doing that ? .

True, 90% of rappers spud better writing their lines down IMO. Most rappers that don't write, their music lacks structure and verses are incoherent

??????
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

I agree about TI...and even Wiz. He said he stopped writing before Rolling Papers and we see what we've gotten since then lyrically from Wiz. There's nothing wrong with writing your lyrics down and I think Jay made it seem like the cool thing to be able to do so alot of rappers tried to follow. I remember even Ja Rule saying he stopped writing lyrics down after Rule 33:6 came out...you can tell when a rapper goes from writing to not writing vs. a rapper whose simply never written down their lyrics. For rappers who used to write there's usually a noticeable decline in their lyrics
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    if u watch fade to black when jay records 99 problems u can see he freestyles. No pen no pad just off the dome. Even Rick Ruben says that's craazy.

And he admitted that it's not compelety off the dome. He wrote some of it here and there but he has a nopepad in his mind. So he just uses different verses that he wrote and throw them together
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggie kind of started that, Jay ran with it and now every rapper trying to do the same, Biggie was unique to me because the amount of weed he smoked, this ? could still go in the booth and rip ? off the dome.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not hard to do songs without writing. Jay explained how to do it on the blueprint album
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Artist do what works for them there no right or wrong to it. But this word freestyle gets twisted these days, only ? i recall regularly going off the dome on album cuts is Snoop.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MMM! Damn! Wayne is too good!
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    MMM! Damn! Wayne is too good!
    Bruh
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DJ Screw and the SUC been doing it longer than Jay Z and Biggie. It's not a big deal. All Texas rappers have it in the blood to spit at least 50 lines from the dome at any given time over any given beat. I can rip 12-16 bars in my sleep one take. Listen to a DJ Screw freestyle at regular speed and the weakest rapper on the tape can freestyle 3 verses easily. Fat Pat and Lil Keke were making songs live on the fly. ? punching in and out. Texas ? been mastered that off the dome ? before the mid 90s came. As usual the Brooklyn boy wanna be a Texas ? so bad. He stop claiming Europe now all he does is shout H Town on his records. Fat Pat would eat Jay Z and biggie for breakfast in a freestyle battle. That ? spit 100 bar verses like it ain't nothing. I'm SCARED of what ESG would do to Jay Z. Lil Keke vs Jay Z. U kidding me LMFAO
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    IDK but I know it's totally possible to make up rhymes and memorize them without writing because I have done it many times

i prefer to have my pen and pad, but have stored raps in my brain too

They probably do write sometimes, but them ? ain't really got ? to do, but rap

They got business ventures, but they're days consist of music ?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    they dont freestyle

they rehearse the verse in their head without writing it down..its actually the same as writing really. its just that when you write, you write down the first few lines you wanna go with, then you move on to the next lines. but you still have to rehearse it when its all done

so its really the same process in a different order
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    Exactly. And it's not good to do that either. Big Boi did it for the first Outkast album. Then Dre taught him how to write the lyrics down and craft them, and Big has been improving lyrically ever since. I don't care who you are or what kind of writing you do, you product can only get better by you writing it down and going over it a few times.

You might get (the perception of) a better product, but you lose the natural flow of things. Now the verse has a higher chance of coming out extra mechanical on some rhyme ever word ? or line up every syllable ? or even some overly complex ? like Aesop Rock and them.

Some people like that ? , but most don't.

exactly

writing is more technical

"freestyle rehearsal" is all about flow

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe Wayne freestyled on Tha Carter 2 up until tha Carter 4. All his mixtape ? is freestyle too.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ever since Black Album nggas bitin w/ their 'oh ? , he didnt even write his rhymes down' stories...
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dude was probably contacting the mothership
    Xd43Pc6.gif
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    Biggie kind of started that, Jay ran with it and now every rapper trying to do the same, Biggie was unique to me because the amount of weed he smoked, this ? could still go in the booth and rip ? off the dome.

The ? is a mental exercise so the more you do it the easier it gets to remember. I do believe Jay about him starting remembering with out paper when he was running the streets because when you're a writer of any kind any random thing you see or hear can spark an idea and it can suck to not always be near a pen and paper to write it down
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wayne is too dope he dont have to write it down
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    edited January 2014
    Options
    They definitley Freestyle rappers