Jay-Z finally got that "Basquiat" painting he been rapping about..

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ that garbage..
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ''Real millionaires spend 60 mil on paintings''

- Nasir Jones.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »
    Damn I can draw in that range, these type of drawings/paintings is worth serious loot? *pulls out paint*
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Damn I can draw in that range, these type of drawings/paintings is worth serious loot? *pulls out paint*

No ? .....I got rack of ? like this on my 3rd grade resume
    Gonna have to ask mom's to pull out my grade school drawings and get in the game.
    I know i got some grade school work in the attic ? could be worth a few
    It wasn't even that funny when the crazy ? said it first...

So this ? ? out here callin Black women ? and yall co-signin em?

That's how these ? on here be getting down, I'm the one that keeps my foot on that crackas neck and keep him in check, most of the baboons be co-signing this cracka and laughing at his jokes, traces of slavery and white supremacy apparent in their behavior, smh

• international
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Btw, lmaooo@ ? just now gettin into Jean Michel basquiat, smh@ how much input and influence rappers have on y'all interests and knowledge on art and culture, smfh
  • international
    Options
    Hale Woodruff, Jacob Lawrence and Faith Ringgold deserve more hype than Basquiat in my eyes if we're talking black painters from the last century. Lawrence's style changes over time from era to era got him compared to Van Gogh and I think he deserves more recognition for his work.

Why you feel the need to compare tho? Can't just appreciate every artists work individually, and what they each brought to the table?! Specially with other black painters, like ? have to be limited and restricted to other ? , smh, we stay with this weak ass 'inferiority complex' mentality, put Lawrence up against Van Gogh directly...
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hale Woodruff, Jacob Lawrence and Faith Ringgold deserve more hype than Basquiat in my eyes if we're talking black painters from the last century. Lawrence's style changes over time from era to era got him compared to Van Gogh and I think he deserves more recognition for his work.

Why you feel the need to compare tho? Can't just appreciate every artists work individually, and what they each brought to the table?! Specially with other black painters, like ? have to be limited and restricted to other ? , smh, we stay with this weak ass 'inferiority complex' mentality, put Lawrence up against Van Gogh directly...

exactly,dude keeps bringing up other artists talking about they're better than Basquiat. But that's "your" opinion,we

don't have to like the art you like and you don't have to like Basquiat. Art is subjective as i stated before,Basquiat

and Warhol created fan bases doing their own thing if you're not impressed cool but that doesn't make them any

less relevant.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL I'm not ignorant that paintings/drawings are worth money. My son can draw. He drawed ludacris and wiz khalifa, and he did this without looking at a picture of them.. I was like wow thats talent. I can draw on the level of those paintings shown. I was just saying I didnt know those type of drawings were worth money. My son was trippin because I was upset he misplaced the original copy of the ludacris drawing. I was like you don't realize what type of talent you have, plus I posted a picture of the drawing on the net, so I wanted him to find the original copy.

I think this was the most ? post I've ever seen in the Reason.
  • Leviathan616
    Leviathan616 Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    A lot of the imagery in Rhianna's Rude Boy videos was inspired by Basquiat's work. BTW, how many times does someone have to keep telling you fools that art is subjective.
  • bossdon201
    bossdon201 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    mecca.jpg

I could do this ? with the most basic version of Microsoft paint bruh...

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    e0srrc.png

took me 5 mins to draw that.with one hand.

where the ? is my 6 million?
    Best post ever
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basquiat Style was largely based on his Childlike sketches because of his Troubled Child Hood that he wished he could revisit also his Paintings are alot about drawing to erase to draw again.
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    the orange means 'on fire'
    and the buildings means the best is all mental
    and the empire is imaginary
    maybe basquait was jay-z best customer
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL I'm not ignorant that paintings/drawings are worth money. My son can draw. He drawed ludacris and wiz khalifa, and he did this without looking at a picture of them.. I was like wow thats talent. I can draw on the level of those paintings shown. I was just saying I didnt know those type of drawings were worth money. My son was trippin because I was upset he misplaced the original copy of the ludacris drawing. I was like you don't realize what type of talent you have, plus I posted a picture of the drawing on the net, so I wanted him to find the original copy.

I think this was the most ? post I've ever seen in the Reason.
    ? shut up.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread was hilarious
  • slim jay
    slim jay Members Posts: 12
    Options
    congrats jay, now u can knock it off and stop name-dropping dude every song...
  • Me1971
    Me1971 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jackson ? and Andy Warhol are good investments but I don't think they are good pieces of art. I'd rather have something with meaning than a multicoloured screenprint, supersized version of a comic strip of just a lot of drips on a canvas. They go for big money because of the name value of the artists and the whole modern/pop art thing they represented but it's ? "what is art by expression?" bohemian thinking from those folks that makes artists think that art is a messy bed or nailing your ? to the floor in front of a government building.

Someone bought an original Warhol screenprint for 105 million. I could get a friend of to do the exact same screenprint with the exact same photos and then leave the same blank space for about $120. Screenprinting photos onto canvas is not hard work which is exactly why Warhol did what he did, it was easy, didn't take a lot of time and he could do a bunch of them even when he got old. Anyone can do what he did, the value is only attached to Warhol because of the ? image he created when everyone was on acid and into hippy ? but even his girlfriend Nico got tired of his ? eventually once the drugs ? her up. He got her onto heroin too. She died the same year as Basquiat but from a heart attack that caused her bike to crash. Then he took in a dude sleeping parks with mommy issues that made him want to make her proud for sending him to museum art classes when he was a kid. He then kept Basquiat doped up while praising his ? artwork so it could sell to rich idiots. All that really tells me is he was a good ass salesman who groomed a homeless addict into a dependent boyfriend by complimenting him, getting him hooked on booting up and taking advantage of him like he was a Catholic priest, while convincing folks to pay millions for things he did that cost him 40 dollars.

Basquiat was hot the entire 80's, it was Warhol who needed Basquiat to make himself hot again since Warhol was considered to have fallen off since the 60's. They pretty much used each other. Being associated with Warhol helped to legitamize Basquiat even more and that was one of his heros. The had a Jay/Kanye relationship artistically Jay = Warhol, the aging art legend who was past his prime that originally didn't believe in Basquiat and was a good business man...Kanye = basquiat = the young hotshot who finally earned his big brothers acceptance but cared more about the art. Their art collab was even underwhelming like Watch the Throne lol. By the time he linked up with Basquiat he definitely wasn't homeless, he was already a millionaire socialite artist who was a stable on MTV, Time magazine, the youngest artist to be invited at certain prestigious shows overseas and hooking up with Madonna. He had originally met Warhol in the 70's when he was homeless while attempting to sell him some art, Warhol brought some out of pity and they went their seperate ways for years until Basquiat got hot in the 80's. And dude was already on heroin way before linking up with Warhol.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WACK PAINTING....

I ACTUALLY GHOSTPAINTED THIS ? FOR BASQUIAT IN PRE-K
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    "Go head and lean on that ? Blue, you own it.."
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could somebody explain the "message" in that painting to me? im not smart enough the figure this ? out, Jay lost if he paid mills for that ? , whats the message?

I know everyone gonna just flag this and say im wack or others will disagree and put feelings and say this is a bunch of scribblings that dont mean ? , and so be it
    but ? the price for a second. basquiat didnt create this thinking "im going to make millions" in fact the very piece itself is the opposite of that

he grew up bklyn and ran away from home at the age of 15 sleeping in park benches and living as a ? in the mid 70s up until the 80s with reganomics and ? you see two very different nyc's one as ? /drug/crime filled, and one with wall street rich ass ? that were supposed to be all pristine and clean
    you got ppl going to prisons in the hood, while the rich are being lauded as bringing nyc back
    you gotta remember in 60s and 70s nyc wasnt no place like it is now, it was much more urban and grittier
    but the wall street bankers came in with their trickle down economics and their financial tricks and all of a sudden money was flowing in and the urban rougher areas were being displaced

now you may think this is all good, but those wall street ppl being all looked up to, while they still doing the same dirt and doing drugs and are evil and criminal like too, but they walk around with they chest poked out like they some big shots, they look down on the black, spanish, urban minorities, they walk around like they hot ? in their big fancy buildings and high rises they look down on the urban poor while they think very highly off themselves
    well basquiat looks down on them
    instead of making their high rises all nice and pretty and statuesque and fancy
    he makes them look like children buildings
    cause they are kids to him
    he puts himself above them all, that is the reason why the king crown is on top
    he sees above all this ?
    he realizes that all this fancy ? aint ? , its childs play, and it doesnt lead you to a better status in life, its just like kids playing with dolls
    also some of those buildings look kinda like prisons, esp the one on the right
    maybe he is equating the new fancy ? with all these buildings as some sort of ? that traps you and he is equating that to a real prison
    those to lines could be train tracks
    maybe he saying this is what its like on the other side of the tracks, but its the same ? , ppl still in prisons trapped y corporate greed
    but me me the poor urban youth who grew up here
    i know these ppl aint better than me
    they on drugs just like me
    they breathe same air i breathe
    and they put they pants on one leg at a time just like me
    so the fact that I HAVE THIS KNOWLEDGE puts me above them all, im the real king
    im the real person who has knowledge of self
    they walk around and look down on me
    but i really am above them all
    cause i know money can't by me whats most important, and thats knowledge of self
    now
    the actual texture of the painting and the depth of the black and the yellows/orange, and the contrast might show more of the emotion he was feeling at the time he made it
    and maybe that all comes thru and means something to jay-z since he essentially has done the same thing wiith his life
    maybe he makes paintings primitive and simple looking cause ppl think blacks all simple and stupid, but the understanding of truth and knowlege come thru so clearly that he showing he the real king, even when he painting ? like a child, the simple child ppl think blacks are.

but i dont know i never met basquiat so i didnt ask him what he meant when he made this

maybe it dont mean ?

Stop it dude
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo this thread was hilarious
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not going to pretend like I'm some expert on painting but I'm not impressed. I'm in the wrong profession I need to start doodling with crayons and paint. Tell everyone I grew up in a war torn Somalia and draw to express my pain.

Sound good enough for you art enthusiasts? It a true story I promise...
  • SlimRemy
    SlimRemy Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Options
    you either get it or you don't. it either resonates with you or it doesn't. it's no different than music. art is in fact subjective. it's so cliche but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. the girl you think is the baddest girl ever, ain't nothing to the next dude, or the shoes you think look hideous are the flyest shoes ever. it doesn't matter. it's what it makes you feel or what you get from it.

basquiat said he can draw. i believe it. i saw where he was lifting figures, feels and emotions from. it's like he was sampling or lifting riffs from parts in songs (works of art) that inspired him to want to make something in his own style. someone said it perfect when they said that a lot of times its about what's happening in the art world. picasso's art was so much different than what was considered traditional. the french impressionists were constantly mocked.

? 's art looks like someone just threw paint at a canvas. but before him, no one was really doing it like that. it's like how much different timbaland or the neptunes sounded when they really started making beats when hip hop was being dominated by g-funk, boom bap and 808s. it's the same way that the "greatest producers of all-time" normally have signature sounds, these painters and artists are doing the same thing. they're establishing themselves through their style, or doing something like no one else does.

there's a painting of ? 's that's like a country western scene. and it's not abstract at all and while it looks formal and nice, is nothing like what he's known for. you'd probably say you couldn't draw it using ms paint, but even then you probably wouldn't be that impressed.

and even if you think basquiat's work sucks or is overrated and you can do better. then do better! it's easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize or say someone else isn't that good...

but just like we need artists we need people that can criticize, and appreciate. as long as you're not trying to destroy the next person's work or keep them from expressing themselves in a constructive manner, live and let live.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Basquiat's paintings are becoming hipster now...

Its funny how hip hop often make goods or people popular and the 'must have thing' or 'the person to hang around' Cristal, Ace of Spades, Jacob watches even Warren Buffet and now Basquait are a few things of the top that hip hop has promoted (now or in the past) and made 'normal people' or aspiring rappers want or feel like they have to mention to be cool or up to date...

Warren Buffet has been around running schitt for years, but soon as Jay hangs around him everyone wants to refer to him and hang around him etc and now rappers want to talk about Basquiat in their rhymes because of Jay...