If Ice Cube was from New York would he be considered better than Jay Z?

Options

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    You ? with this idea about two different eras or rap styles don't make no sense Jay Z and Eminem has different rap styles yet we compare them Wayne and Jay Z from two different eras yet we compare them so your points are void. Yall ? make all type of excuses to defend Jigga. And Cube is a way better storyteller than Jay Z Check Yo Self>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dead Presidents

Madea-Whopping-Ass.gif
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube would be Cormega, Tragedy Khadafi, or ........ Tim Dawg
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think there's anything cube has done enough to really stand out like a jay if he was from the east....Out here one of the things that made cube stand out is cuz he was a great mc that was from the west which wasn't really recognized for having great mc's like the east was if he was from over there he probably would just blended in as another great east coast rapper....I believe there have been a lot of rappers over looked becuz they're from NY where if they were from Cali they'd be included in the goats
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are we using to quantify "better than"? Are talking about discography because that alone is a matter of personal preference & opinion. IMO coast doesn't play a part because good music transcends boundaries. Any nigguh fronting on dope music just because it came from a different area is a ? anyway. I grew up listening to both, but I would rather listen to Jay than Cube. Both have dope ? . If we're talking about overall impact on the hip hop culture then there is no question that Jay >>> Cube. Numbers don't lie. Relevance doesn't lie. I haven't equated Cube w/ music in a very long time.....only movies. I equate Jay w/ everything from music to movies to sports to clothing to jewelry to vehicles to alcohol..etc..etc.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube did movies and everything u listed in the early 90s back when jay was a jaz clone tho....its like the past gets ignored and only what jay is now us important.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Absolutely. He's in my top 5.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I'm riding with Cube on this one. I can remember my senior year in high school when Amerikkas Most Wanted was out, then he dropped the ? at Will EP. You would have had to been there to know how popular he was... and I'm from Newton Centre, Massachusetts.

And that same summer after I graduated, Boys in the Hood came out.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube is easily better than JayZ and I'm from NY.
  • CertainSoul
    CertainSoul Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    You ? with this idea about two different eras or rap styles don't make no sense Jay Z and Eminem has different rap styles yet we compare them Wayne and Jay Z from two different eras yet we compare them so your points are void.

So what ? ? Just cause people DO doesnt mean that they SHOULD. Jay-Z and Ice Cube is an awkward comparison just like Wayne & Jay-Z.

But there is a lot of awkward MC comparisons in the reason all the time....So I guess thats just the culture here.

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-z and Ice Cube are like total opposites... Jay in terms on of technical aspect is better but I mess with Cube a little bit more...
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ice Cube's First 3 Albums >>>> Shawn Carter's Life
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at cube even in Jay's league...funny
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is child's play.

Of course Cube is better than Jay. The Bomb Squad (Public Enemy producers NY based) sonically crafted Cube's 1st classic. That right there alone dead this whole argument.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? sayin Cube would be like chuck D off yourselves all chuck d did was rap with a funny accent Flava Flav was the star of a group
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cube had new york's respect when the death certificate album dropped.
  • qtipp73
    qtipp73 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh. hell no ice cube is not even on Jayz level lyrically

this gotta be the biggest collection of idiots on the internet. everyone knows NY breeds the BEST rappers period
  • ZoeLyfe305
    ZoeLyfe305 Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Options
    qtipp73 wrote: »
    smh. hell no ice cube is not even on Jayz level lyrically

this gotta be the biggest collection of idiots on the internet. everyone knows NY breeds the BEST rappers period

We sint talking about jut being lyrical we talking as a whole. Ya we know N.Y has the most lyrical artist but how many of yall are actually popping on the radio right now besides the usually suspects? Ill wait........face it n.y rappers can't make a hit record to save they lives anymore beside the usually suspects.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube>>>>>>>>Jay-Z
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube is that dude and it's sad that he doesn't get mentioned more when we talk about the greats.. I think his current business decisions such as his comedy movies and what not have made people forget how raw and threatening he was in the game.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Summer Vacation is a GOAT storytelling song

My homie got shot he's a goner black
    St Louis ? want they corner back
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cube is that dude and it's sad that he doesn't get mentioned more when we talk about the greats.. I think his current business decisions such as his comedy movies and what not have made people forget how raw and threatening he was in the game.

I agree same could be said about Will Smith
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Definitley is better already than Jay Z regardless of location
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I toke a ? in the woods, would a bear smell it?
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    comparing ? -z and cube in any way shape fashion or form is like comparing rick ross to pac. one is the goat while the other is a commercialized fraud. foh putting the ? emcee in the same sentence with a dude who cosigns racial profiling against his on ppl.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ice Cube Is In My Top 3 DOA Regardless Of What Era And Where He's From