Tweet causes outrage: 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
article-2527330-1A3B057500000578-607_634x363.jpg
A PR executive tweeted something earlier this morning that made social media users across the globe cringe in disgust--but she has been unable to comment on her racist joke because she was on a flight to Cape Town, South Africa. After hours of not knowing she was front page news, Sacco landed in Africa and deleted the tweet and her entire account.

Justine Sacco wrote , 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'before boarding a flight to vacation in the country ridden with an unfortunate AIDS epidemic. Valleywag caught wind of the incident and posted the story online. Sacco's been re-tweeted almost 3,000 times and her reputation along with the reputation of her company is spoiled.

Sacco is the Communications Director for IAC, a parent company for Vimeo, OkCupid, Tinder, CollegeHumor, and Dictionary.com among many others. To their chagrin, IAC had to comment on behalf of their irresponsible employee.

'I'm absolutely shocked! By far, the worst and most inappropriate tweet I've read in a very long time. IAC won't be too happy,' wrote Twitter user DoYouNeedToKnow. He was just one of horrified readers demanding an apology from Sacco and the influential powerhouse she works for as the primary media relations contact.

'This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action,' a representative from IAC emailed the International Business Times.

Sacco finally landed in Africa on British Airways Flight 43 and one can only guess the number of angry responses she'll receive.

#hasjustinelandedyet is trending on twitter right now as thousands await a response from the once unknowing Sacco. Africa caught wind as she is the number one twitter trend in South Africa.

Twitter user Stephanie Be wrote, 'WOW! Reinforce the ignorant American stereotype much?'

John M. Becker tweeted, 'Are you even real?!? This is utterly ghastly on so many levels.'

Josephine Baker wrote, 'listen, homegirl is about to be FIRED.'

Huffington Post stated that there is a possibility that the young PR executive's account may have been hacked. However that is unlikely as her twitter profile has a number of other tweets that may also be deemed offensive.

Sacco wrote wrote, 'I can't be fired for things I say while intoxicated right?'

Sacco also wrote, 'I like animals, but when it's this cold out I'll skin one myself for the fur' and tweeted the comment directly at PETA, a famous animal rights organization.

The Tulane alum also tweeted, 'Last day of hurricane season. Can't wait for evacuations next year.'

Ironically enough, Tulane is located in New Orleans, a city in which more than half of the population is black according to infoplease.com.

New Orleans also suffered tremendously after Hurricane Katrina decimated homes, took several lives, and wrecked the local economy.

One Twitter user took it so far as to create a fake profile for Sacco named LOL Justine Sacco. Her Byline reads, 'PR Disaster. Racist idiot. All-around awful.'

One of the mock tweets reads, 'I think the lady across the aisle is clicking at me. I'm sorry...I don't speak Kwanzaa LOL #whitesanta #longestflightever #haveilandedyet'

Another mock tweet reads, '@Paperboy415 Been downing #WhiteRussians all flight in support of #Sochi2014! Seat 5A sent me a Johnnie Walker Black, but I sent it back!'

article-2527330-1A3B74F400000578-826_634x919.jpg

article-2527330-1A3B29A300000578-367_634x286.jpg
The Mail Online tried contacting IAC's media relations department, and since the contact listed on their website was Sacco herself, no one was available for comment.

Upon looking at the IAC website again, her name has been removed and has been replaced with 'corporate communications.' The voice mail which previously gave out her personal cell phone number for media inquiries with a strict deadline, has also been changed.

The reason Sacco is traveling to Africa is still unknown, but chances are that Sacco won't get the warmest Christmas welcome.

According to dosomething.org out of the 34 million people in the world who have ? , 69 percent live in sub-Saharan Africa. There are around 23.8 million people in Africa with AIDS.

AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is caused by the Virus ? ( Human immunodeficiency syndrome). It can be transmitted via se#ual intercourse, blood to blood contact, or childbirth.

? greatly lowers the human immune system making it easier for those infected to carry fatal diseases.

There is no cure for AIDS. Is there a cure for Sacco's Twitter?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.