Rick Ross Sues LMFAO Over ‘Every Day I’m Shufflin’’ Catchphrase

Options
2»

Comments

• ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    he won his case against the real Rick Ross.
    i hope he takes the L and has to pay them for wasting time and being fat
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?

Thats like suing weird al

Weird al has been the subject of many a lawsuit
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they might as well cut the check

u know u cant fight the law & win
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick Ross is gonna get blackballed. Lmfao are related to Berry Gordy, he got connects.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    I told ya'll I'm gonna start rappin under the name William Roberts and see how he likes this ? . Wait til you hear my songs about being a CO and being in Trina's video
    Oh no not the video with the throwback jersey 2 sizes too small fresh off the Khols clearance rack.

2s81wch.png

Bawse
  • Life_Is_Shit
    Life_Is_Shit Members Posts: 23
    Options
    wait a minute. Isn't that song about 3 years old?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMFAO to ross:" aint no checks getting cut!" oops he'll sue them for that too.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think he will win, or at least it wont be easy.

I'm no expert on copyright, so drop facts if you think different.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I told ya'll I'm gonna start rappin under the name William Roberts and see how he likes this ? . Wait til you hear my songs about being a CO and being in Trina's video
    Oh no not the video with the throwback jersey 2 sizes too small fresh off the Khols clearance rack.

2s81wch.png

what video is that?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them LMFAO cats nearly knocked out Mitt Romney on a plane..
  • DarthRozay
    Options

2s81wch.png

what video is that?

Wait til I drop my album and you'll find out
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    I don't think he will win, or at least it wont be easy.

I'm no expert on copyright, so drop facts if you think different.

I'm pretty sure you can't copywrite phrases/lyrics. could you imagine all the suing if you could? someone getting sued for saying "only ? can judge me" when the copyright is owned by pac. etc. etc.

now he might have a case because the melody of both is similar, but since it's so short it might not hold up in court.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it was an interpolation of a song that allegedly wasn't credited. ross waited for all of the downloads, license syncs, radio spins etc. went down, and then sued. This is what entertainment lawyers suggest, so you can collect as many damages as possible. on the royalties side hes gonna get a huge payday, but on the publishing side(which will reap the most money), tony draper, e class, and ted lucas are going to be licking their chops if this ? does win.
  • nillerthekid
    nillerthekid Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it was an interpolation of a song that allegedly wasn't credited. ross waited for all of the downloads, license syncs, radio spins etc. went down, and then sued. This is what entertainment lawyers suggest, so you can collect as many damages as possible. on the royalties side hes gonna get a huge payday, but on the publishing side(which will reap the most money), tony draper, e class, and ted lucas are going to be licking their chops if this ? does win.

I'm no expert on copyright either, but couldn't the LMFAO song be covered by something like being a parody of the Ross line, and because of that it wasn't necessary to give Ross credit?
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm no expert on copyright either, but couldn't the LMFAO song be covered by something like being a parody of the Ross line, and because of that it wasn't necessary to give Ross credit?

a parody they got paid off
  • nillerthekid
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ranxx wrote: »

I will be the first to admit I don't fully understand copyright laws, but according to wiki (always reliable)
    Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

I do believe LMFAO could argue that is what they are doing, parodying Ross, and therefore clearing wouldn't be necessary. It is definitely a gray area, but Rick Ross isn't guaranteed i pay day, it probably comes down to who has the best lawyers
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will be the first to admit I don't fully understand copyright laws, but according to wiki (always reliable)
    Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

I do believe LMFAO could argue that is what they are doing, parodying Ross, and therefore clearing wouldn't be necessary. It is definitely a gray area, but Rick Ross isn't guaranteed i pay day, it probably comes down to who has the best lawyers

could be. i was told that the fair use clause is used for non profit stuff.
  • nillerthekid
    Options

Could definitely be the case too
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could definitely be the case too

The interpolation is clearly a parody but if there's been official merchandising off the back of it someone needs to cut a check.

But like somebody said though these Gordy Berry's nephews, and he ain't freeway ricky