Never Forget: Jay Made Hip Hop "Heads" Catch Mad Feelings! ['09 AMAs]

Options
FyHunnit
FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lets relive this momentous moment in Hip Hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIwxIobtab4

Anti Jay-fans caught the craziest feelings after that statement.

Fans of rappers who never sold well rushed to the nets as Jay laughed off the stage.

Suddenly record sales, public acclaim and top charting records didn't mean ? anymore.

With "Best Rapper Alive" claims from Wayne, and "Hip Hop is Dead" assumptions by Nas swirling around hip hop in those days - Jay Z's "Numbers don't lie" holds true throughout the years since.

When it started becoming too difficult for rappers to market themselves better sell records, the value of going platinum diminished in most Hip Hop circles.

Companies seeking to appreciate, or award rappers in some form is somehow flawed. Being successful is mistaken by just being popular. You'll be damned if you accepted The Source, Grammys, MTV, BET, Billboards etc, authenticity in so-called "real" hip hop.

? 's ask ? questions like, "Why does selling records matter?", now.
Lol.. when did it not matter?

If the mass support of hip hop in the past didn't show up, the genre wouldn't be what it is today.

Jay made cats so mad, that Numbers did, in fact, lie.

Well..How can you be an HOF player without putting "Numbers on the Boards"?!

o-JAYZ-DRINKS-570.jpg?6

Comments

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't Eminem the highest selling rapper of all time?
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

I included him into my argument, so i'm aware of that.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uhh, that "sales doesnt mean ? " argument has been around forever, ? is you talmbout?
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if we talking numbers and numbers alone...Em and Pac have both moved 100 Million plus..Jay aint in that arena
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »
    Uhh, that "sales doesnt mean ? " argument has been around forever, ? is you talmbout?

Such a ? question, that's never asked by somebody who sells hella records.

Think cats are putting money into a product just to go double wood?
    Think Pac didn't appreciate going Platinum? Rappers who get plaques look pretty happy to have them. Ya'll act like the business side of hip hop doesn't have its benefits. I'm sure the Wu, Outkast and other Icons enjoy having plaques on they walls.
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if we talking numbers and numbers alone...Em and Pac have both moved 100 Million plus..Jay aint in that arena

Pac wasn't selling crazy records like that when he was alive tho

Speaking on anti-Jay people tho, some people have so much hate in their heart for him, I don't understand it. Here's an example of a successful black man that truly started from the bottom and is now breaking unexplored territories. I remember when Magna...Carta dropped lots of posters in the thread were talking about how Jay sold out because of the Samsung deal. Really? So you're telling me if someone offered you a million plus for your album you wouldn't take it on some "I can't do that, people will say I sold out." ? outta here

• TrillRussell
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Selling records never mattered. If I said it once I said it 1000 times. Nobody remembers how many records "What's Going On?" sold, you could probably search and find out but the only reason you would be interested is because the song and album are legendary.

Black musicians period going platinum and selling records in high numbers is a recent phenomenon (the last 40 years or so) blacks used to shoot as high as going gold, that was the standard for the era of The Temptations, goin back even farther ? were lucky to even get on the radio.

Selling records being important is fan boy nonsense. The measure of quality is not in consumption, it never has been. Even crackers don't believe that, the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame doesn't even consider records sold as a criteria for admission.

Only people that care are dickriders. Figures don't lie but liars figure.

Nah it don't matter when an artist gets a couple of good selling Cds and that's it..but when you're a hip hop artist and your overall sells are at Rock star/Pop singer type levels(50 to 100 Million Worldwide) that stands for something...that means it's more than the urban population that's being impacted by your product..it makes an artist a global icon..

• TrillRussell
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »

Speaking on anti-Jay people tho, some people have so much hate in their heart for him, I don't understand it. Here's an example of a successful black man that truly started from the bottom and is now breaking unexplored territories. I remember when Magna...Carta dropped lots of posters in the thread were talking about how Jay sold out because of the Samsung deal. Really? So you're telling me if someone offered you a million plus for your album you wouldn't take it on some "I can't do that, people will say I sold out." ? outta here

Pac Did 5 Million on Me against the World..and All Eyes on Me moved about 6.5 million before he died..So it's not like he was just some ? that was barely scratching RIAA Certifications then when he died he just started moving millions
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Selling records never mattered. If I said it once I said it 1000 times. Nobody remembers how many records "What's Going On?" sold, you could probably search and find out but the only reason you would be interested is because the song and album are legendary.

Black musicians period going platinum and selling records in high numbers is a recent phenomenon (the last 40 years or so) blacks used to shoot as high as going gold, that was the standard for the era of The Temptations, goin back even farther ? were lucky to even get on the radio.

Selling records being important is fan boy nonsense. The measure of quality is not in consumption, it never has been. Even crackers don't believe that, the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame doesn't even consider records sold as a criteria for admission.

Nah it don't matter when an artist gets a couple of good selling Cds and that's it..but when you're a hip hop artist and your overall sells are at Rock star/Pop singer type levels(50 to 100 Million Worldwide) that stands for something...that means it's more than the urban population that's being impacted by your product..it makes an artist a global icon..

Bob Marley is a legitimate global icon how many platinum albums does he have?
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? is you talking about, how old are you ?
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Then this just means Jay Z fans have to acknowledge Eminem is the greatest Hip Hop Artist ever if numbers don't lie lol because he is the highest selling ever and has sold more than double what Jay Z has with half as less albums lol
  • FyHunnit
    Options

Solid argument, but you're acting like there's no achievement in selling records. I'm sure those same black musicians have those awards on display to show. You go into a record companies office, they have their plaques on display. As in, this is evidence that their music made an impact. You watched cribs right? All of them rappers have trophy rooms where they keep all of the awards and plaques they received.

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    allindustry.com
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2nd.

Pac sold over 100million records
    Em has to but Pac still has albums that the sales havent been counted.

AEOM been stuck on 9mill since 98
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    GunTown wrote: »
    Then this just means Jay Z fans have to acknowledge Eminem is the greatest Hip Hop Artist ever if numbers don't lie lol because he is the highest selling ever and has sold more than double what Jay Z has with half as less albums lol

Em is one of the greatest to ever do it, but you can't bring up the numbers because its frown on. That's one of the points i'm trying to make.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    numbers dont lie but they dont always tell the entire story
  • TrillRussell
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »

2nd.

Pac sold over 100million records
    Em has to but Pac still has albums that the sales havent been counted.

AEOM been stuck on 9mill since 98

That's just in the US...AEOM sold like 20+million worldwide

• jono
    Options
    MadSirius wrote: »

Solid argument, but you're acting like there's no achievement in selling records. I'm sure those same black musicians have those awards on display to show. You go into a record companies office, they have their plaques on display. As in, this is evidence that their music made an impact. You watched cribs right? All of them rappers have trophy rooms where they keep all of the awards and plaques they received.

I'm sure cats appreciate Nickoledon Kids Choice Awards too but that doesn't mean I put any meaning into it.

90% of the awards people give out are popularity contests anyway, Grammys, Emmys, AMAs, MTV, BET whatever you want to name. Selling records is the same, it's all about marketing and popularity not quality.
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Mr.Forte wrote: »

? is you talking about, how old are you ?

The mods really have some clean up work to do around here in 2014. I'm tired of being stalked by lame ass ? just because I give them a negative reaction to one of their ? posts. But let's proceed.

Pac didn't do anywhere near 100 million records when he was alive, and that's what I'm talking about. His albums prior to Me Against The World barely cracked gold. But then came the ? case with the media circus surrounding it, the shooting with the media circus, the jail bid, and the east coast west beef. Pac is my favorite rapper so I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but Pac sold A LOT more records after he died. Just to put it in perspective think about how much Chronic 2001 sold
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    ? 's get so mad man. Lol..

Ya'll saying it doesn't mean nothing. Well.. Maybe to you as a fan.
    But it means something to these rappers. Just like any other form of entertainment, numbers mean something to them. Having some sort of public acclaim don't mean ? to y'all, but cry about your favorite artist being slept on.

• TrillRussell
    Options

Idk for sure but I know he's sold About 25 Million records worldwide tho
  • jono
    Options

Kinda proves my point now don't it?
  • TrillRussell
    edited January 2014
    Options

Kinda proves my point now don't it?

Not precisely because Bob Marley aint hip hop..He was A Reggae artist..And I'm not saying Record sales mean everything...but If A Hip Hop Artist moves records like A Pop Artist/Rock Star how can that not mean anything at all?