Billionaire has announced he is uncomfortable with Pope Francis recent comments on wealth.

Options
BoldChild
BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but will the pope turn away his money
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe he uncomfortable with the fact that unlike an American politician he can't slide him some "campaign" funds to be quiet.

• trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nb4 the pope gets it angels & demons style
  • NostalgiaBAB
    NostalgiaBAB Members Posts: 23
    Options
    Kenneth Langone?
    nyulocal.com/featured/2010/10/26/billionaire-nyu-trustee-has-deep-and-unsettling-ties-to-the-republican-party/
    Langone, along with some other Wall Street Republicans, is a major backer of the American Action Network, which formed just two weeks after the Citizens United decision. The so-called “think-and-do tank” takes advantage of unlimited contributions from corporations to “create, encourage and promote center-right policies
    Langone is also linked to the Florida election controversy in 2000. He was a director of Database Technologies, which was bought out in 2000 by ChoicePoint Inc., a company he co-founded, when it won a $4 million contract to provide a list of people ineligible to vote. According to a Salon.com investigation, thousands of people – largely minorities listed as Democrats – were wrongfully named on the list as felons and yet never got a chance to appeal. Considering the official margin of victory in Florida was just 537 votes, ChoicePoint may have singlehandedly cost Gore the entire election. Several years later, ChoicePoint gained notoriety again for its lucrative contracts in selling personal data to the government.
    He is such a vocal supporter of huge executive pay packages (several of which he has authorized himself) that his critics regard him as “a living symbol of the excesses of runaway executive compensation.” He is chummy with his chief executives and is extremely well-connected with the highest echelons of Wall Street.
    When he was director of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), which used to be an non-governmental organization (NGO), Langone authorized an incredible $190 million pay package for Richard Grasso, then NYSE chairman and another NYU trustee. That attracted a lawsuit from Attorney General Spitzer in 2004, who claimed that Langone and Grasso not only violated rules limiting NGO executive salaries (i.e. you couldn’t get the tax breaks that NGOs get and still get paid hundreds of millions of dollars), but also misled other board members about the actual size of the pay package. It was a very murky situation – Langone and Grasso denied excess and insisted that everybody signed off on it, while board members say they were kept in the dark about actual figures.

What’s more, a human resources executive said her boss made her hide Excel columns that listed Grasso’s total compensation before forwarding the spreadsheet to the board. Instead of backing down, Langone continued to aggressively defend Grasso’s pay for years, until an appeals court finally dropped the case. He even told Forbes in October 2004, “They got the wrong ? guy. I’m nuts, I’m rich, and boy, do I love a fight. I’m going to make them ? in their pants. When I get through with these ? captains of industry, they’re going to wish they were in a Cuisinart — at high speed. If Grasso gives back a ? nickel, I’ll never talk to him again.”

This man needs Jesus.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    What a ? . ? him and distribute his wealth among the poorest 50%.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    To be that rich, at some point you have to give up the notion that there is a ? that exist..you have to be willing to ? so many lives that you have to believe that there is no spiritual retribution

i disagree.
    you can still have money and not turn to doing bad business and walking over people.

some people have morals an thats why they get to the point of being rich.

you might get rich faster or whatever...but it will also stop business deals and burn bridges.

the worse thing you can do is burn bridges.

some of these people only donate alot to the church to ask for forgiveness an special favor an prayer. but if you know what you do is wrong then why do it and have to apologize later? just dont do it.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have fears of losing their money rush and ? money, not in divine retribution.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imagine if they used all that money to actually help the poor as well as create jobs
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ? he catch feelings for? he a billionaire.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    To be that rich, at some point you have to give up the notion that there is a ? that exist..you have to be willing to ? so many lives that you have to believe that there is no spiritual retribution

i disagree.
    you can still have money and not turn to doing bad business and walking over people.

some people have morals an thats why they get to the point of being rich.

you might get rich faster or whatever...but it will also stop business deals and burn bridges.

the worse thing you can do is burn bridges.

some of these people only donate alot to the church to ask for forgiveness an special favor an prayer. but if you know what you do is wrong then why do it and have to apologize later? just dont do it.

Not that much money...at some point, once you can obtain all that life has to offer and more, whats left to strive for...more, at that point you detach yourself from any normal awareness of others or what others believe in..if you have no one to keep you in check...whats a ? to a Man with supreme power

that person always had that trait in them. money just brings out who you truly are.....or the potential of getting large amounts of money brings out who you truly are.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Maybe he uncomfortable with the fact that unlike an American politician he can't slide him some "campaign" funds to be quiet.

u dont know that
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not surprising .... but yea i'm liking this pope

his stance on capitalism, ? , etc has republician catholics looking real sick right now