If Coming To America Were Released In 2014 Would It Receive Backlash?

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Got sent a blog post today asking if Coming To America would be heavily criticized if it dropped today or still seen as brilliant comedy...Here's the main part of the post....

Yet, after re-watching it last weekend for the 367234th time, something dawned on me: If this movie was released in 2014, it would not receive the same love. In fact, many of us would hate it. Not all of us, of course. Many would still enjoy it. But, considering today’s general mood about comedy — where certain types of humor seems to have to pass through a gauntlet of arbitrarily determined standards before considered socially acceptable — there would be so much negative pushback towards it that even the people who loved it would be loathe to publicly admit it.

The pushback would start on Facebook and #blacktwitter weeks before the movie was even released, as word about the plot and the people involved would begin to circulate.

“A White director making a comedy about Africa? #nocountryforoldappropriation”

“Apparently, Arsenio is in a wig during a scene. And a dress. I couldn’t make this sh*t up if I tried. Does everyone in Hollywood hate Black women?”

As the release date neared, and media people started to attend advance screenings, thinkpieces would start to formulate on Slate, The Root, Clutch, EBONY, Jezebel, and (admittedly) VSB.

Coming to America’s Big, Fat Africa Problem: What The Movie Gets Wrong About African Immigrants, And Why It’s So Upsetting

Queen To Be? Not If She’s Dark: Coming to America’s Disturbing Colorism

Lisa McDowell, Feminist or Fake?

Homies or Homie/Lover/Friends? Akeem and Semmi’s Very Peculiar Bond

From Mop to Fries in Three Years: On Slave Wages and Cleo McDowell

Was it Selfish For Eddie and Arsenio To Play Multiple Characters Instead of Hiring More Black Actors?

By the time the movie was set to be released, there would be so many petitions and protests against it that the studio would pull it from the theaters. WorldStarHipHop would buy the rights to it, replace Shari Headley and Allison Dean with Erica Mena and Dutchess from Black Ink, and release it in six 15 minute long installments on their site.

I don’t know if there would be a sequel. Perhaps there would be one 14 years after the original film was released. Who knows? I don’t.

Thoughts....

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably. Eddie Murphy isnt nearly as funny now as he was back then.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah definitely would have people in their feelings. People in general are always looking for that underlining in everything and with social media any movement for or against something could spread like wildfire.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    reaching on alot of those..a bit too much for me
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what? Birth of a nation was a hit when it dropped.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was niggerish
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was niggerish
    what's wrong with that.

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    People would complain about it but it wouldn't matter; look at Django Unchained.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black cinema is almost non existent today. ? would still be better than the last 10 years of ? that's been made towards our demographic.

If anything it should be re-released in theaters. They better not even think of doing a remake.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thinking too much. 80s comedy, period, wouldn't last in 2014 because while some social aspects remain the same, ultimately the view is different. Now our comedy is much more darker than it was back then. It's just that simple
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Thinking too much. 80s comedy, period, wouldn't last in 2014 because while some social aspects remain the same, ultimately the view is different. Now our comedy is much more darker than it was back then. It's just that simple
    This post just shut down the thread
  • tearjerker
    tearjerker Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Options
    So what? Birth of a nation was a hit when it dropped.

Definitely got a point there

• Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Black cinema is almost non existent today. ? would still be better than the last 10 years of ? that's been made towards our demographic.

If anything it should be re-released in theaters. They better not even think of doing a remake.

Quoted for GOATNESS
  • tearjerker
    tearjerker Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    How did it last in the 90's and not now? First time I saw the movie was '95...could've came out the day before and wouldn't have known the difference besides the hairstyles

• shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    light skin dark skin they dont got dat ass but id dip in them both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=06O316LpmjA
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh hell yeah. Fox News would have a field day about this. And you know they would tie Pres.Obama into this somehow
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There definitely would've been an outcry about the lightskinned and darkskinned sisters. One popular and the other always complaining about how her sister always gets the good guys. Wonder what woulda took the place of the soul glo empire in 2014.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

*says black cinema is almost non existent but blacks have had 3 movies come out in 4 months*
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

*says black cinema is almost non existent but blacks have had 3 movies come out in 4 months*

Mobile is a damn pain, that's the only reason I ain't correcting your ? .
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

3 whole movies? thank white jesus.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There definitely would've been an outcry about the lightskinned and darkskinned sisters. One popular and the other always complaining about how her sister always gets the good guys. Wonder what woulda took the place of the soul glo empire in 2014.

I read nothing you said in this post bcuz your avi had my attention. My apologies madam.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Black cinema now don't got ? on Black cinema then from the actors to the stories to the comedic talent. And I know I'm sounding real old and grumpy right now.

Even Black comedies back then had relevant social commentary. Just look at movies like Hollywood Shuffle (which should practically be required viewing if you're a Black comic trying to break into movies) and Livin Large.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    Yeah definitely would have people in their feelings. People in general are always looking for that underlining in everything and with social media any movement for or against something could spread like wildfire.

that's because this modern era sucks. I was just thinking about the state of hip hop now and when it started in 2009 every thing went borderline ? . it's cool to be a geek. all these weird looking kids. the girls are more masculine than men. faux hawks nose rings ( like a bull) piercings. tat sleeves. man we are in hell! on that note mufuckas would complain but aint ? gonna happen especially if django unchained got a pass. I would rather watch a movie about an African prince and his assistant coming to America to find his bride than watch a movie about a do boy white house buttler.
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ? is you talking about. Please dont mention Tyler Perry, lol. The last movie black people had was "LIFE" .True Story
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem Nights >>> Coming to America

Black Gangstas sayin ? the established order in hilarious and tactical fashion..