If Ice Cube was from New York would he be considered better than Jay Z?

Options

Comments

• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    I mean he has a better discography better subject matter 4 classic albums was apart of one the top 5 rap group ever and overall his music just bumps. So I'm guessing the only reason he isn't considered better cause he was born on the wrong side of the map. Lethal Injection>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any Jay Z album.

U had me until u said Lethal Injection>. Any real Cube fan knows Lethal Injection was ass cheeks compared to his previous albums. Matter of fact id say when LI came out is when Cube fans started deserting him.
  • lethal5
    Options
    I think Cube made better music than Pac. Apparently Cube thinks so too, cause I've heard him get asked twice who his favorite top 3 rappers, and he never sayscPac.
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Will They Shoot?
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Can't relate to Jay Z's music
  • lethal5
    Options
    Cube fell off hard after his double album, but his early catalog cant be ? with.
  • BeardedFreak
    BeardedFreak Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "? the police comin straight from the underground
    A young ? got it bad cause I'm brown
    And not the other color so police think
    they have the authority to ? a minority"

>>>>>>>

Jayz impact on hip hop
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If pots and pans was stacks of grands I'd be rich...stop hating on the WestCoast. step ya rap game up NYC.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    for people saying ice cube had a bigger impact on the music than jay z...their impact is equal..n.w.a. did not start gangsta rap. along with other groups they help raise the bar. jay z didnt create mafioso rap but helped push the bar with it. cube went the movie route later in life along with others and that helped show our versatility. jay z went corporate along with others and that helped show our business side. the impact that both had is equal.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    for people saying ice cube had a bigger impact on the music than jay z...their impact is equal..n.w.a. did not start gangsta rap. along with other groups they help raise the bar. jay z didnt create mafioso rap but helped push the bar with it. cube went the movie route later in life along with others and that helped show our versatility. jay z went corporate along with others and that helped show our business side. the impact that both had is equal.

Wtf any of this got to do with their lyrical ability
  • GunTown
    Options

What has that gotta do with Ice Cube being a far superior artist than Jay Z and having a far superior catalouge?
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • GunTown
    Options
    "? the police comin straight from the underground
    A young ? got it bad cause I'm brown
    And not the other color so police think
    they have the authority to ? a minority"

>>>>>>>

Jayz impact on hip hop

Jay Z influenced rappers like Fabolous, Jadakiss, Cassidy, Crooked I, Juelz Santana

His style influenced their style and they all also said he was their biggest influence
  • maxlancaster
    maxlancaster Members Posts: 12
    Options
    No way.

That's like saying, "If your mom had a ? would she be considered your dad?"
  • GunTown
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    Cube fell off hard after his double album, but his early catalog cant be ? with.

No 1 has fell of harder in the history of hip hop than Jay Z has after The Blueprint

After that album he released extremley terrible albums like Blueprint 2, Kingdome Come, Blueprint 3, Magna Carter Holy Grail

Average albums like The Black Album

Below average albums like American Gangster
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    GunTown wrote: »

What has that gotta do with Ice Cube being a far superior artist than Jay Z and having a far superior catalouge?
    @ guntown and @mrJr
    this was geared towards the posts a few pages back that talked about cube's impact. as u can clearly see i said for people saying...now with that said the superior catalog is based on opinion. lyrics are based on opinions. if u feel cube is better than cool. i dont but u know what i might have a little east coast bias in me so thats that.

@guntown we know u hate jay z so stop with the far superior ? . smh
  • GunTown
    Options
    I don't hate Jay Z i don't know him to hate him

I just think his music is terrible and that his style of rap is terrible. He doesn't have 1 song i enjoy
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    @guntown

ok thats cool but u spend way too much energy on trying to prove so many others are better. there are plenty of artists who's music i dont enjoy but have no problem with those that do. is it an obsession?
  • GunTown
    Options
    I just wanna see artistic rappers appreciated on the IC regardless of sales even someone like ZRO who may not sell much he is an artistic rapper

With Jay Z it's like this -

Freestyle three 16 Bar verses about selling ? being a ? king pin, money, cars, jewellrey, being a better rapper than other rappers, being a thug.

Use Punchlines, Entrendres, Similies, Word Play in the verses

Use a skippy Flow in the verses

Call an RnB singer like Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, R Kelly, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Mariah Carey etc to write and feature performing the hook. Paying them a lotta money to feature and craft the hook

Call a producer like Timbaland, The Neptunes, Just Blaze, Kanye West, DJ Premier etc to produce the song. Paying them a lotta money to produce and mix the song

^^^^That is Jay Z's formula for a song and exactly what he does
  • GunTown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @semi-auto-moto

This what i always tell @usmarin @AlreadyHome_17 and other Jay Z fans on why a lotta people don't think his music is decent and that a lotta people don't think rappers with that style make enjoyable music
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    but what u may not consider art some other folks will. there is no right or wrong to this ? . if u love em there is a reason for it and its ur own reason. if someone loves pac, or big, or jay, or nas, or wayne they have a reason for that. u just dont viewit the same as other people.

for the record jay not a thug...he's a hustler...there is a difference. his art is geared towards people with a hustler's mentality. when u say he has no substance his core audience wont agree with u. respect everyone's opinion. i respect urs. u crazy bout em and i dont see why but hey thats u. i have no reason to try and point out all of em's flaws.
  • GunTown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yeah but he raps about being a thug as well as selling drugs

It's not just Jay Z's music i dislike it's other rappers with that style and formula as well such as Slaughterhouse, Cannibus, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Pusha T, Busta Rhymes, Cassidy

I like artistic rappers
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah but he raps about being a thug as well as selling drugs

It's not just Jay Z's music i dislike it's other rappers with that style and formula as well such as Slaughterhouse, Cannibus, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Pusha T, Busta Rhymes, Cassidy

I like artistic rappers

But you stay talking about hood ? like you blimy bloaks be ruffling feathers.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »

No 1 has fell of harder in the history of hip hop than Jay Z has after The Blueprint

After that album he released extremley terrible albums like Blueprint 2, Kingdome Come, Blueprint 3, Magna Carter Holy Grail

Average albums like The Black Album

Below average albums like American Gangster

And the ? button has been pushed. Now the opinion of other albums can be whatever but Black Album and American Gangster are great albums. I can name u SEVERAL people whose dip in hip hop was WAAAAYYYY more severe than Jay's. Ummmmmm 50 Cent, Ja Rule, and EMINEM to name a few. Its funny that you say that but whenever Jay drops a song, featured on a song, or an album....EVERYBODY listens.

• hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanna see artistic rappers appreciated on the IC regardless of sales even someone like ZRO who may not sell much he is an artistic rapper

With Jay Z it's like this -

Freestyle three 16 Bar verses about selling ? being a ? king pin, money, cars, jewellrey, being a better rapper than other rappers, being a thug.

Use Punchlines, Entrendres, Similies, Word Play in the verses

Use a skippy Flow in the verses

Call an RnB singer like Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, R Kelly, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Mariah Carey etc to write and feature performing the hook. Paying them a lotta money to feature and craft the hook

Call a producer like Timbaland, The Neptunes, Just Blaze, Kanye West, DJ Premier etc to produce the song. Paying them a lotta money to produce and mix the song

^^^^That is Jay Z's formula for a song and exactly what he does

yep you don't really listen to Jay.....now that's a fact.