Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Almost Banned From Rap Category At The Grammys

Options
RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis apparently almost didn't make it into the rap categories of the Grammys. Find out why below.

The Grammys finally go down this weekend, on Sunday January 27th, so there's plenty of Grammy discussion going down these past few days both rap-related and not. In the rap sphere, the competition is stiff, mainly divided between Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Jay Z. Of course, Kanye West and J. Cole, among other rappers, also received nods this year.

However the category people are contemplating most seems to be if Macklemore & Ryan Lewis will take home Best Rap Album-- up against the likes of K. Dot, Jay Z, Yeezus, and Drake. The hip-hop community at large seems to be on the side of good kid, m.A.A.d city, but only time will tell if the Grammy committee feels the same. As it turns out, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis almost didn't make the Rap nominated categories, because they were deemed TOO mainstream, having one of the biggest pop songs of the year, "Thrift Shop."

A source tells AP that the rap committee put together by the Grammys was leaning towards not including The Heist duo in any rap categories. "Because of the controversy with them as a rap group it became something the entire Grammy committee discussed," the source said. After they debated whether or not to include Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in rap, they met again a week later with the general Grammy committee (including members from all genres of music), where they listened to the album and determined which category it belongs in. Obviously the final decision was to include it in rap categories, however, it was apparently a landslide vote.

"It's not that they don't think he's a rapper," the source said of the rap committee's decision. "It's just that when you're trying to protect categories and someone has become popular, it should be judged as much. ... Where does their music exist? Who are their fans?"

What is your opinion? Should Macklemore & Ryan Lewis be nominated in rap categories?

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    If they still win then thats ?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "But everybody knows.....almost doesnt count"-Brandy Norwood
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KEEP CRAKKAZ AND BAY ? OUT OF HIP-HOP/RAP
    IT'S A MOVEMENT.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mainstream/pop out the gate, then you're pop

almost every genre has lyrics that rhyme, so is everyone a rapper?

it's a tough call, but you almost have to look at the following an artist/group has, plus their musical sound/content to place them in proper categories.

this is a sign that the Grammy committee is washing out traditional hip-hop/rap for a more pop sound, further distorting and brainwashing the listeners.

......this is the future of hip-hop/rap
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if rap is so corny, bland, generic and commercialized that you can't tell it apart from pop - that's a problem way bigger than wacklemore.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know your award ain't ? when its voting committee don't even know if an artist fits in the category they're supposed to be experts in. And watch ? still get mad when Mackelmore wins this ? award.
  • Vertebrae
    Vertebrae Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options
    GazaChino wrote: »
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis almost didn't make the Rap nominated categories, because they were deemed TOO mainstream, having one of the biggest pop songs of the year, "Thrift Shop."

Don't you mean "Same Love"...Smfh

• 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its not like he dont be rappin...
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Basically "we'll put you in the category to save face but you're not gonna win", I'm cool with that. Now I know Kendrick is gonna at least take home a grammy award tho.

All we can do is hope for that outcome. The Grammy board is known to be composed of spin artists.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If jamar was on the board it would've happened
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is hip hop and I hope he wins
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, last year was a terrible year for Hip Hop. Smh at the nominations.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Its not like he dont be rappin...

Mary J Blige and Britney Spears both sing but it don't mean they should be nominated in the same category.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it sounds like they fault.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Damn, last year was a terrible year for Hip Hop. Smh at the nominations.

I disagree......GKMC was a great album, MGHC and Born Sinner were cool, but overall it was sum good music that came out.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    this should be looked at as a positive sign for the grammy's unless this was scripted. Lets be honest how many ? have heard the entire macklemore album lol ? i haven't. At least they listened to that ? and were concerned about the pop flairs enough to debate. Again people are starting to be hypocritical about macklemore. Like i said ive never heard past 2 songs of dude. I would expect the grammys to just throw him in there to spite hip hop which they hate.

But if your mad a macklemore why don't you blast krit for touring for him? Oh thats right because everyone loves krit. But are you gunna call krit a ? lover cause he toured with a "crakka" rapper like macklemore? the hip hop turining pop is not 100% macklemores fault. ? been going this way before him and after his sophomore album is mediocre rappers of all races will turn it more pop afterwards.
  • FlashHex
    FlashHex Members Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Options
    Now the Grammys hip hop committee wants to be credible? Now they wanna have standards banning that pop rap? ? that, those ? completely snubbed Nas to give Drake's album and Watch the Throne the hip hip awards. Life is Good, one of the best albums of that year got nothing because it didn't have club hits(Watch the Throne) or R&B rap(Drake's album). They did this to themselves ignoring pure hip hop artists like Nas. I don't even care if Macklemore wins, the Grammys never had hip hop credibility.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I gave his album a listen and I went in with an open mind ready to give him props if his album was good. But I listened to it and it was trash outside of 3 or 4 songs. Dude is a below average rapper spitting over dope beats. His mediocre ass don't deserve a Grammy for that ? album.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FlashHex wrote: »
    Now the Grammys hip hop committee wants to be credible? Now they wanna have standards banning that pop rap? ? that, those ? completely snubbed Nas to give Drake's album and Watch the Throne the hip hip awards. Life is Good, one of the best albums of that year got nothing because it didn't have club hits(Watch the Throne) or R&B rap(Drake's album). They did this to themselves ignoring pure hip hop artists like Nas. I don't even care if Macklemore wins, the Grammys never had hip hop credibility.

its called progression tho. they just had the first black female or some ? added to the people who vote. everything in life progresses and hopefully the grammy's learns from mistakes and have more black people making choices. its like being mad that black people couldn't vote in the 1908 elections. it was what it was but things change. hopefully things will change you can't be bitter about the past just push and pressure the powers that be to make the future more fair.

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listen to the entire album of the heist from macklemore and Ryan Lewis and honestly it is not better than Kendrick lamar's GKMC
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Macklemore got bars ..his songs are wack tho
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Macklemore got bars ..his songs are wack tho

think u got that backwards

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options