Macklemore &Ryan Lewis Win Grammys For Rap Album Of The Year, Best Rap Song & Best Rap Performance

Options

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First time listening to this song, they can't be serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol on macklemore twitter he posting text between him and kdot he really trying to get that cosighn
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar was robbed
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I told y'all ? 2 months ago the white guy was going to win all the rap awards. Great white hope. Eminem is next year. Dudes album was complete garbage but he will win at least 3
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When hip hop strayed farther and farther away from the essence, this is the consequence. What is the essence? Street based music. Largely NY based.

But yall denied this. Yall let the south make microwave music and yall pretended their wasnt a difference. Yall started judgin the Young Jeezys in the the same breath as the Jayz's

This is how it relates: When we came with Amerikkkas most wanted, illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc, the powers that be respected and feared our culture. When we became happy go lucky snap dancing anthem making, all bets were off.

Take a look at all the winners and nominees since 96. Look at those lists. Those lists were LEGIT. Then you'll notice it all seemed to changed with Country Grammar...and Eminem. The title by the year was the winner

Year Performing artist(s) Work Nominees Ref.
    1996 Naughty by Nature Poverty's Paradise
    2Pac – Me Against the World
    Bone Thugs-n-Harmony – E 1999 Eternal
    Ol' ? Bastard – Return to the 36 Chambers: The ? Version
    Skee-Lo – I Wish
    [6]
    1997 Fugees The Score
    2Pac – All Eyez On Me
    A Tribe Called Quest – Beats, Rhymes & Life
    Coolio – Gangsta's Paradise
    LL Cool J – Mr. Smith
    [7]
    1998 Puff Daddy and the Family No Way Out
    Missy Elliott – Supa Dupa Fly
    Wyclef Jean – Wyclef Jean Presents The Carnival
    The Notorious B.I.G. – Life After Death
    Wu-Tang Clan – Wu-Tang Forever
    [8]
    1999 Jay-Z Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
    A Tribe Called Quest – The Love Movement
    Big Punisher – Capital Punishment
    Jermaine Dupri – Life in 1472
    Mase – Harlem World
    [9]
    2000 Eminem The Slim Shady LP
    Busta Rhymes – E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event): The Final World Front
    Missy Elliott – Da Real World
    Nas – I Am…
    The Roots – Things Fall Apart
    [10]
    2001 Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP
    DMX – ...And Then There Was X
    Dr. Dre – 2001
    Jay-Z – Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
    Nelly – Country Grammar
    [11]
    2002 Outkast Stankonia
    Eve – Scorpion
    Ja Rule – Pain Is Love
    Jay-Z – The Blueprint
    Ludacris – Back for the First Time
    [12]
    2003 Eminem The Eminem Show
    Ludacris – Word of Mouf
    Mystikal – Tarantula
    Nelly – Nellyville
    Petey Pablo – Diary of a Sinner: 1st Entry
    [13]
    2004 Outkast Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
    50 Cent – Get Rich or Die Tryin'
    Missy Elliott – Under Construction
    Jay-Z – The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse
    The Roots – Phrenology
    [14]
    2005 Kanye West The College Dropout
    Beastie Boys – To the 5 Boroughs
    Jay-Z – The Black Album
    LL Cool J – The DEFinition
    Nelly – Suit
  • S2J
    Options
    2006-Late Registration
    50 Cent – The Massacre
    Common – Be
    Missy Elliott – The Cookbook
    Eminem – Encore
    [16]
    2007 Ludacris Release Therapy
    Lupe Fiasco – Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor
    Pharrell – In My Mind
    The Roots – Game Theory
    T.I. – King
    [15]
    2008 Kanye West Graduation
    Common – Finding Forever
    Jay-Z – Kingdom Come
    Nas – Hip-Hop Is Dead
    T.I. – T.I. vs. T.I.P.
    [17]
    2009 Lil Wayne Tha Carter III
    Jay-Z – American Gangster
    Lupe Fiasco – Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
    Nas – Untitled
    T.I. – Paper Trail
    [18]
    2010 Eminem Relapse
    Common – Universal Mind Control
    Flo Rida – R.O.O.T.S.
    Mos Def – The Ecstatic
    Q-Tip – The Renaissance
    [19]
    2011 Eminem Recovery
    B.o.B – B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray
    Drake – Thank Me Later
    Jay-Z – The Blueprint 3
    The Roots – How I Got Over
    [20]
    2012 Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Lupe Fiasco – Lasers
    Jay-Z and Kanye West – Watch the Throne
    Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday
    Lil Wayne – Tha Carter IV
    2013 Drake Take Care
    2 Chainz – Based on a T.R.U. Story
    Lupe Fiasco – Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1
    Nas – Life Is Good
    Rick Ross – ? Forgives, I Don't
    The Roots – Undun
    2014 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis The Heist
    Drake – Nothing Was the Same
    Jay-Z – Magna Carta Holy Grail
    Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
    Kanye West – Yeezus
  • S2J
    Options
    I mean look at that ? . You can almost see like a graph where hip hop died. Right around 2002. W/n where would the game b w/out kanye??

I also see a shift when Ludacris started gettin nominated every year...2 chainz was nominated last year? the South aint got a hand in hip hop's decline?? K.
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2007 Ludacris "Release Therapy" winning over Lupe Fiasco Food and Liquor was criminal.
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
  • Kalecrunch
    Options
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the way they did it.they trying to homosexualize hiphop.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I mean look at that ? . You can almost see like a graph where hip hop died. Right around 2002. W/n where would the game b w/out kanye??

I also see a shift when Ludacris started gettin nominated every year...2 chainz was nominated last year? the South aint got a hand in hip hop's decline?? K.

Hold the phone, sir.

I ain't gonna sit here and let ya'll act like things used to be peaches and cream.....Naughty by Nature? and ? SKEE-LO? In the year Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords dropped. Ha ha ok.

1998 was the only year they really got "right". And even then, they gave the trophy to the worst (but most recognizable to a old white person) album.

I ran out of hate and frustration for the Grammys years ago lmao. My heart is cold now.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This cracca just using his instincts as a cracca to use people, he is using the ? community for his advantages and hip hop
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still don't understand why y'all care about the grammys.

grammy's and hiphop dont belong in the same sentence. A shame the source dont carry as much weight as it used. I remember when if the source gave someone at least 3 mics then that was a sure buy..and their awards...man ? aint like it used to be.

? ? killed the Source Awards

Every year, a bunch of ? ? up that award show something serious. Many oldheads participated in that ? and Benzino allowed that to happen because he believed that it was "real street ? ." Black folk participated in the downfall of Hip Hop, too.

Macklemore winning means that the invasion of Hip Hop has just begun. Soon, white artists are gonna be doing trap music, going to be taking over everything. Starting this summer.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. I'm truly angry and sad at this ? ..

All I gotta say is ..

Batman%20laughing%20(haha,%20hahahahahaha).jpg
  • Wild Self
    Options
    Best believe, anytime a Hip Hop-related event goes down that involves a controversial issue, some major changes will soon happen. Look at the symbolism of:

Public Enemy vs NWA (NWA was used to neuter the black power message of PE and made sure that the PE message never gotten TOO big to spark another revolution)

Kanye vs Fif (Kanye won the sales battle in 2007, and by early 2008, Hip Hop started to have a lot of Kid Cudi's, Drakes, and Wiz Khalifa looking dudes as the regular look)

2014 Grammys (K. Dot lost to Macklemore and soon, these record execs are going to promote white rappers that promote pro-? messages and shut off new black artists from ever establishing a fanbase)

Its coming and Summer 2014, Hip Hop's face will look VERY different
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    The album was wack it wasn't even an average album let alone a good or great album. It was a weak album

I think Macklemore is a genuine rapper. U gotta remember Macklemore doesn't sing hooks or even sing in verses or bridges or have a Flow that has elements of singing in it. Macklemore doesn't come with the alternative singing mixed with rapping that hip hop artists like Eminem, Kid Cudi, Max B, B.o.B., Devin The Dude Z-Ro, Bone Thugs etc who all do both singing and rapping on songs

Macklemore just spits basically just raps so to say he isn't a true rapper is not being objective as he just spits he doesn't even do the alternative singing like the rappers i mentioned. Now if u saying his music is wack and his rapping is wack i agree with that but u can't say he not a rapper wen all he does is rhyme verses

He relies on Ryan Lewis to feature and do hooks for him and relies on production from him too

• Wild Self
    Options
    refineguy.com

Well, the 2014 Grammys are over and the worst possible thing that could have happened, happened. (If you're a hip-hop head.) No, Miley didn't explode the internet twerking to a surprise Dogg Pound performance of "Ain't No Fun". Worse than that. No, Kanye didn't interrupt Taylor Swift's performance draped in the Confederate flag . Worse. Macklemore's "The Heist" beat Kendrick Lamar's "good kid M.a.D.D. City" for "Best Rap Album". I nominate Jim Harbaugh as my anger translator.

This sucks. It sucks for Kendrick Lamar. It (actually) sucks for Macklemore. It sucks for hip-hop fans. It adds fuel to the constantly smoking "Grammys racism" fire. Everyone loses.

First, it sucks for Kendrick. You only get so many chances at these things. Even the most consistent and prolific artists can only make an album every two or three years. And then for that artist to be in a place to make a classic, and the planets to align in a way that it really makes an impact and is regarded as a classic, that only comes along a handful of times in even the greatest rappers' careers. Kendrick's not going to get an infinite amount of shots at Best Rap Album; and since the Grammys have only ever given one hip-hop album the more prestigious Album of the Year (hey Kanye), missing Best Rap Album hurts. Or to put it more simply, he deserved it.

Second, it actually sucks for Macklemore. Fair or not, hip-hop heads have an already barely contained hatred for the Seattle kid, and beating Kendrick should only confirm all of their worst fears, a fact Macklemore was well aware of before the Awards:

"We're up against Kendrick, who made a phenomenal album. If we win a Grammy for Best Rap Album, hip hop is going to be heated. In terms of [that category], I think it should go to Kendrick. I think it should go to Kendrick."

I'm sure he grabbed that Best New Artist, and maybe even Best Song, Grammy without hesitation, but when his name rang out for Best Rap Album, I guarantee there was at least a part of his brain thinking, "? , now I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life being the white pop-rapper who stole a Grammy from Kendrick Lamar." Macklemore is enough of a rap nerd himself to understand just how angry rap nerds are going to be, and he's a friend of TDE.

The hip-hop heads who already hated Macklemore now hate him more, those on the fence now hate him, and even his fans in the hip-hop community, myself included, might find it's no longer worth the effort to defend him against the previous two groups. Which is a shame because there's a lot of vaulable lessons from his success that artists can apply to their careers. only now they'll be hard pressed to view that success objectively. And I think he has made some powerful and important music.

So yeah, you ? it up for everyone Grammys. Thanks a ? lot. But...

...now that I've laid out why Macklemore beating Kendrick is literally a travashamockery of historic proportions, here's why it doesn't matter. Or at the very least, here's what I'm telling myself: Who ? cares about a Grammy? We're talking about a music awards that didn't even HAVE A RAP ALBUM CATEGORY UNTIL 19FUCKING95, and that year they gave it to Naughty By Nature's "Poverty Paradise', an album I think it's safe to say has had the longevity of an ice cube on the sun, over Tupac and ODB. Then, just two years later, they gave Best Rap Album to Diddy's "Puff Daddy & The Family" over Wu-Tang "Forever" AND Biggie "Life After Death", prompting ODB's classic of all classic "Wu Tang is for the children" stage crash. Nas has NEVER WON A GRAMMY FOR ANYTHING EVER.

The point is, this is not a new phenomenon. The Grammys have been ignoring, slighting and ? up hip-hop for decades; allowing them to determine how we feel about our culture is like letting Justin Bieber judge a best beard contest. Macklemore may have the award on his mantle, but we all know that Kendrick Lamar is the better emcee, and that "GKMC" is a modern hip-hop classic. So what does this Grammy really change? What does it prove? That a committe who doesn't know anything about hip-hop (see every example above) continues to know nothing about hip-hop? Stop the ? presses.

While it may take some ? chai tea and yoga classes or whatever the ? they tell you to do at anger management classes, I'm trying to let this one go. Just forget about it, try to continue to live in a world where Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore can both exist, do their respective things for their respective audiences, and make sure I've memorized every word of "GKMC".

I suggest you do the same. And if you just can't let go of the anger, ? it, Kendrick's got you covered there too:

Macklemore made plenty of new enemies with him sweeping.
  • GunTown
    Options
    The thing is suburban raised upper middle class raised rappers not from the struggle from good suburbs like Kanye West, Drake, Kid Cudi etc got accepted in Hip Hop over time a genre that has working class roots where majority of rappers come from poverty and represent inner city lower class strugles. But over time the likes of Kanye, Drake etc got accepted

But Hip Hop is exremley far from accepting white suburban raised upper class raised rappers

U have to think if Eminem who actually grew up in harsh poverty, grew up in the struggle, welfare raised backround, grew up in the hood in histrorically 1 of Americas most dangerous citys, grew up in black hoods, literally came from the bottom where he was homeless at times and grew up in section 8 housing. Yet even he to this day isn't accepted by some blacks or some don't show sympathy for him coming from a lower class backround and from the struggle. Kinda just brush it off and say yeah we know he did but he 'white'

What chance has an upper class suburban dude like Macklemore got into being accepted?
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I called this ? . Every year y'all watch this ? and every year y'all ? about it. It's the ? grammy's what did you expect? You guys really thought these white people ? with kendricks album more than macklemores? Nas doesn't win a Grammy it's "who cares about a Grammy" but you guys still manage to complain in another breath about it. By what year will you ? learn. It damn sure won't be next year either when Eminem clean that ? up too

btw who is that poster that asked me last week "everyone expects macklemore to win, why would anyone get mad about it?" yeah, where he at?
  • GunTown
    Options
    But the thing is this could very well likley be his first and last Grammy

He may never win another 1 again
  • Wild Self
    Options
    GunTown wrote: »
    The thing is suburban raised upper middle class raised rappers not from the struggle from good suburbs like Kanye West, Drake, Kid Cudi etc got accepted in Hip Hop over time a genre that has working class roots where majority of rappers come from poverty and represent inner city lower class strugles. But over time the likes of Kanye, Drake etc got accepted

But Hip Hop is exremley far from accepting white suburban raised upper class raised rappers

U have to think if Eminem who actually grew up in harsh poverty, grew up in the struggle, welfare raised backround, grew up in the hood in histrorically 1 of Americas most dangerous citys, grew up in black hoods, literally came from the bottom where he was homeless at times and grew up in section 8 housing. Yet even he to this day isn't accepted by some blacks or some don't show sympathy for him coming from a lower class backround and from the struggle. Kinda just brush it off and say yeah we know he did but he 'white'

What chance has an upper class suburban dude like Macklemore got into being accepted?

You right, but it was the best for the likes of talented black suburban rappers to get accepted to the genre. It broke the rigid, close-minded mentality that you have to grow up in poverty to start rapping and be good at it. ? , Even Rakim and Chuck D were raised in the burbs of Long Island back in the 70s and 80s.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    I just wanna say ? wacklemore, ? the grammys and ? anyone that claims hip hop thats not appalled by this ? .

? the ? too
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.