Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you say so bro
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    these youngins...ll

so now the young people are saying who demands respect?

if you are around nigas that hate on you like that and aint ? ...then maybe you should change your circle.

so it while you are young an you can pick up more from a circle of old heads you can learn from.

if you surround yourself with aint ? old ? guess what....you may become that old aint ? ? .

but ok, i see what your saying. but then again..like someone else said. all old heads dont look down on the youth. if anything i want the young dude to live they youth an have fun. i tell the young ? to slow down an enjoy life an not be soo serious cuz once your grown....you grown.

then we can talk about how some of these youngins dont want to listen. they dont wanna listen to the ? dressed in a kmart shirt and khakis and regular nikes. they wanna listen to the ? thats surrounded by women and has flashy jewelry and nice cars. those are the ? you dont want to listen to...those are the ones that dont wanna lose they spot.

but as a wise man once told me, you can learn from every and any one....even a man that went broke. because there was a reason he went broke. maybe you can find out what he did wrong so you wont do it.

so stop being selective on who you listen to. you could be missing some jewels.

as for the topic of respect. i will show my elders respect off GP. i have no idea what a struggle could have been like growing up in an era where a black person could have been lynched for going out to get the morning paper. the fact that some many people die in our community everyday at an early age I am happy to see an older person. and there are different levels of respect. i think what most old heads want is common courtesy...alot of young people lack that but want to be acknowledged. that is why alot of old heads always say..."WTF have you done to earn respect?" but for a youngin to say that in return is like...you haven't even begin to live to earn the right to ask the question.

its alot that i think is getting overlooked because everyone wants to be acknowledged.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as a man, i expect the same respect I give to the next man. if i have to itemize and chronicle what i do for my family just to get respect i'll do without it. I think t/s is confusing respect with adoration
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old heads be dropping game
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    but how do you know he aint earn it?

just because it dont fit what you would say earning it is?

if you haven't live life or experienced anything how can you say another man hasnt earned something?

how about the fact that you can learn something from them?

its a shame that youngins want to be heard heard but dont want to listen. and guess whos watching you...the younger generations. they are watching you not listen and be disrespectful and they think its cool to do because you are doing it....and guess whats gonna happen when the now youngins get older...the youngins that you impressed wont listen to ? you have to say because they watched your disrespect and refuse to show it to you now.

while you guys continue to say who can and cant teach you something....i will continue to learn from my old heads and youngins. yes, i said younings....my kids teach me ? all the time but i teach them too.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, experience is the best teacher but only for the person that has that experience. Life is not about hard and fast rules and if I have a different experience than you, you probably need to be doing as much listening to me as I should to you but a lot of old heads think their experiences trumps those of the younger generations. A lot of younger people have experienced way more difficulty than older people ever have or will. Every life is different and depending on the people, we may share the same experiences but differ in interpretation. You shouldn't live your life based on someone elses experience. The best teachers are the best listeners but old heads want to be the best talkers.. As demonstrated in this thread.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I bumped heads with an old head a few months back cuz he was asking me about my personal philosophy of life. But really what he wanted to do was preach his own. He had a difficult time understanding where I come from and how I think because he was stuck in his own ego. Actually, that happens often. Older people feel like their way is the best way and everyone should adhere to their viewpoint when it shouldn't be that way. When someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't mean they are being disrespectful.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I definitely see where the T/S is coming from. A lot of times these dudes are out to get theirs and that's it. They don't want to help the youth reach their potential, they don't want to put the young kids up on what they need to do and they hide behind that "they don't want to listen" ? .

If you're a grown ass man and haven't started saving up for your children, nephews etc. to have a head-start financially or a college fund, you're a clown ass ? in my eyes. ? outta here with that, "they have to learn it for themselves" talk. Build an empire for your kids, put them in a position to win and succeed and stop complaining about how bad you had it in your day. We get it! But just like we have it easier than you, you had it easier than your father, so stop the ? . Build generational wealth and get ? working.

Y'all ? seem to be slow as ? with solutions to our community problems and that's just real. It's like most of the older ? just accept that we're going to be on the bottom of the totem pole... and for whatever reason, you guys always attack the problems on the surface vs. the root. "Oh the rap music"... "Oh the n-word" .... FOH!

... I remember hearing Obama speak about discrimination and racism in the workplace to recent grads at a HBCU, and he had the nerve to say, "there's no excuses etc." as if we're suppose to accept that these racist crackers/companies don't play fair. I was tight as ? after hearing dude speak like... here he is, the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and he's telling us to deal with prejudice ? . It's like ? , you mean to tell me you reached one of the most if not the most prestigious title in the nation and you can't do ? ? You have no solution to the ? a lot of us are going through? Your only advice is to deal with it? SMMFH!

Move out the way and let the young, yet intelligent leaders take rank because y'all either don't want to or can't get ? done!!!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    how can a young dude have more life experience than someone who is older?

even if the youngin came up in a rough hood and the particular old head he talking to came up in the burbs...doesnt mean the youngin knows more than the old head....they just different experiences....

@oceanic, you are looking at it wrong...maybe the man used to think like you and it hampered his growth or fukked him up and he trying to tell you what he learned. different opinions are just that...but that doesnt mean you cant learn from them.

i have made alot of mistakes in life, so if i see a young dude making those same mistakes...why wouldnt i try to say, i dont think thats how you should handle it and try to talk to him?

one one side if i try to talk to him, i have a big ego and want him to follow what i say from what your saying.

one the other side, if i watch him fukk his life up...i am a jealous hating niga that didnt try to help those coming up when i saw the chance to guide him.

you cant have it both ways.

and as you said the best teachers are the best listeners. but then you say....the old heads are talkers. so again you are selectively listening but want to be heard and again...you cant have it both ways.

i think maybe there is a miscommunication somewhere.....i think maybe i dont understand what you consider an old head compared to a youngin
  • Bodhi
    Options
    And another old head admitted to me that he felt like I am a better father than he was and he has a hard time accepting that. Like wtf.. Don't be mad at me cuz you screwed up and I'm a man up. Negroes out here seriously upset that I had a father in my life that taught me right from wrong. I think this is the kind of thing t/s is talking about.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam
    what do you perceive as an old head you would listen too? since you can say why you wont listen to someone, you should be able to state why you would listen to someone.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    And another old head admitted to me that he felt like I am a better father than he was and he has a hard time accepting that. Like wtf.. Don't be mad at me cuz you screwed up and I'm a man up. Negroes out here seriously upset that I had a father in my life that taught me right from wrong. I think this is the kind of thing t/s is talking about.

you do realize he gave you props right.
    so you cant take a man admitting you doing a better job than him but then get mad when someone doesnt want to give you props.

cant have it both ways.

maybe he realized that he fukked up in life and see what he should have done when he watches you. that ? is hard to swallow for some dudes. but thats his burden not yours. you shouldnt take it as nothing more than you are doing a good job. why don't you take the time to hear the man out and help him. maybe even give the niga encouraging words...you dont know his background or struggle. all you are seeing right now is that you are better.

humble yourself and take your props. didnt you just saying ? have too much of an ego?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    how can a young dude have more life experience than someone who is older?even if the youngin came up in a rough hood and the particular old head he talking to came up in the burbs...doesnt mean the youngin knows more than the old head....they just different experiences....

A young dude could have different experiences than an old person, lived a different life (so far) and perhaps knows things an older head never became familiar with. It can happen. Like I said, people live different lives. Just because you've lived longer doesn't mean you know more about everything. Old heads tell me wrong ? about history or world issues sometimes and I have to correct them.

@oceanic, you are looking at it wrong...maybe the man used to think like you and it hampered his growth or fukked him up and he trying to tell you what he learned. different opinions are just that...but that doesnt mean you cant learn from them.

If he had though like that in the past, it wouldn't be so hard for him to understand. What he failed to do was listen because his ego got in the way. Older people feel like they are automatically correct just because they are older.
    one one side if i try to talk to him, i have a big ego and want him to follow what i say from what your saying.

one the other side, if i watch him fukk his life up...i am a jealous hating niga that didnt try to help those coming up when i saw the chance to guide him.

you cant have it both ways

No, I'm saying that in order to talk about something, first you need to listen to the context. If you don't understand the younger generation, how are you going to talk to them? What you have to say might not even apply. You should listen attentively and THEN reply based off that understanding. There's not one answer for everything and everybody based off your life alone.
    and as you said the best teachers are the best listeners. but then you say....the old heads are talkers. so again you are selectively listening but want to be heard and again...you cant have it both ways.

What I'm saying is that they're talkers without listening which is stupid. I'm not selectively listening; I'm saying there's an imbalance.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam
    what do you perceive as an old head you would listen too? since you can say why you wont listen to someone, you should be able to state why you would listen to someone.

I'll listen to someone who's willing to listen to me. That's the point of a respectful conversation. Don't talk to me if you are just trying to preach an old philosophy to hear yourself talk and make yourself feel like you've done a good deed for the day.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I definitely see where the T/S is coming from. A lot of times these dudes are out to get theirs and that's it. They don't want to help the youth reach their potential, they don't want to put the young kids up on what they need to do and they hide behind that "they don't want to listen" ? .

If you're a grown ass man and haven't started saving up for your children, nephews etc. to have a head-start financially or a college fund, you're a clown ass ? in my eyes. ? outta here with that, "they have to learn it for themselves" talk. Build an empire for your kids, put them in a position to win and succeed and stop complaining about how bad you had it in your day. We get it! But just like we have it easier than you, you had it easier than your father, so stop the ? . Build generational wealth and get ? working.

Y'all ? seem to be slow as ? with solutions to our community problems and that's just real. It's like most of the older ? just accept that we're going to be on the bottom of the totem pole... and for whatever reason, you guys always attack the problems on the surface vs. the root. "Oh the rap music"... "Oh the n-word" .... FOH!

... I remember hearing Obama speak about discrimination and racism in the workplace to recent grads at a HBCU, and he had the nerve to say, "there's no excuses etc." as if we're suppose to accept that these racist crackers/companies don't play fair. I was tight as ? after hearing dude speak like... here he is, the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and he's telling us to deal with prejudice ? . It's like ? , you mean to tell me you reached one of the most if not the most prestigious title in the nation and you can't do ? ? You have no solution to the ? a lot of us are going through? Your only advice is to deal with it? SMMFH!

Move out the way and let the young, yet intelligent leaders take rank because y'all either don't want to or can't get ? done!!!

from what yous saying it seems like you are mixing two different things.
    i agree a man that doesnt build to leave his family anything aint ? , so why would he build for the community? how can you expect him too? every hood i have been to has people that are there trying to do something to change things...every last one. but they get clowned and laughed at and nigas focus on the flashy ? .

and maybe just maybe you youngins should do some research.....and understand that you are bashing a generation that had to fight thru drugs that took alot out of the community. you havent live thru when ? first hit the scene in the 80's.

alot of families got fukked up and alot of kids had no guidance. guess what, those kids grew up and now those are the ones you are bashing for not guiding you in the right direction.

but what about the nigas that didnt fall into that craziness? alot fall onto their shoulders and it doesnt help when young dudes say you aint doing your job. you have no idea those types of struggles....

so you have

fights for freedom->fights for staying alive->fights for rights->fights against drugs->now fights to stabilize.

all that within the matter of a few decades. what makes you think you wont have struggles too? yet you cant see the progress in all that.

think about what i just said for a second before you reply.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam

I'll listen to someone who's willing to listen to me. That's the point of a respectful conversation. Don't talk to me if you are just trying to preach an old philosophy to hear yourself talk and make yourself feel like you've done a good deed for the day.

you do realize that what old head require also....
  • Bodhi
    Options

so you cant take a man admitting you doing a better job than him but then get mad when someone doesnt want to give you props.

cant have it both ways.

maybe he realized that he fukked up in life and see what he should have done when he watches you. that ? is hard to swallow for some dudes. but thats his burden not yours. you shouldnt take it as nothing more than you are doing a good job. why don't you take the time to hear the man out and help him. maybe even give the niga encouraging words...you dont know his background or struggle. all you are seeing right now is that you are better.

humble yourself and take your props. didnt you just saying ? have too much of an ego?

yeah cuz he had previously spent his time knowing me spreading lies and throwing my name in the dirt simply because he was jealous. I'm just saying he admitted to his childishness.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the compliment but ? you don't have to admire and hate at the same time. Congratulate and build, not destroy. Trust me, I was there. Sorry for not giving the details
  • Bodhi
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam

I know that much. I never claimed that to be the problem. I'm willing to listen but its got to be mutual. Don't come at me like you got a 1-up on me because of your age and act like my ? is invalid.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    how can a young dude have more life experience than someone who is older?even if the youngin came up in a rough hood and the particular old head he talking to came up in the burbs...doesnt mean the youngin knows more than the old head....they just different experiences....

A young dude could have different experiences than an old person, lived a different life (so far) and perhaps knows things an older head never became familiar with. It can happen. Like I said, people live different lives. Just because you've lived longer doesn't mean you know more about everything. Old heads tell me wrong ? about history or world issues sometimes and I have to correct them.

If he had though like that in the past, it wouldn't be so hard for him to understand. What he failed to do was listen because his ego got in the way. Older people feel like they are automatically correct just because they are older.

you cant have it both ways

No, I'm saying that in order to talk about something, first you need to listen to the context. If you don't understand the younger generation, how are you going to talk to them? What you have to say might not even apply. You should listen attentively and THEN reply based off that understanding. There's not one answer for everything and everybody based off your life alone.

What I'm saying is that they're talkers without listening which is stupid. I'm not selectively listening; I'm saying there's an imbalance.

so your saying....becuz i have been thru it i should understand? thats the point. people dont want to see an young man make the same mistake. it getting older you begin to see that everything happens over and over again. nothing changes but the technology.

case an point.

a long time ago...nigas took pictures of chicks with a polaroid camera. the pics got all over the hood. people always said...dont let guys take nakeds of you they will show everybody. ? didnt listen then got embarraseed when the photos showed up. now instead of just the hood, its pics send all over the globe. different era, different technology same ? .

as for experiences....thats what it is...an experience. while you may lok at it like you have something to add to the convo, you do. and you can educate on some ? the old doesnt know about. thats fine. but you cant look at it like you are over him. you are bringing something to the table which is good. even if you dont respect the old heads role and position...you should respect your own role and position.
    be proud that you taught someone older something. i will be the first to admit i dont know everything. but the problem comes when youngins thin because they taught the older person something or corrected them they are somehow better or the old head aint smart.

there is 10 year olds that graduate from college and are super smart...but he still needs guidance from someone with life experience.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

cant have it both ways.

yeah cuz he had previously spent his time knowing me spreading lies and throwing my name in the dirt simply because he was jealous. I'm just saying he admitted to his childishness.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the compliment but ? you don't have to admire and hate at the same time. Congratulate and build, not destroy. Trust me, I was there. Sorry for not giving the details

even thru that hate at least the man admitted to his fukked up actions. but that is just THAT man.
    thats not how all old heads act.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam

I know that much. I never claimed that to be the problem. I'm willing to listen but its got to be mutual. Don't come at me like you got a 1-up on me because of your age and act like my ? is invalid.

but with age comes wisdom for certain people..notice i said certain people.
    sometimes you dont realize how invalid what you are saying is until you live thru it an see that it is.

lets put it this way, i had to lose alot and wasted alot of time by not listening and picking who i wanted to listen to.

when that got me nowhere....i changed how i thought and humbled myself and understood that those before me had something i didnt.

they did have 1 up on me.

once i was able to understand tht an not challenge it.....it helped me more than i could ever put into words.
    so right now....you dont know what you dont know but you will understand in time and then realize you wasted valuable time
  • Bodhi
    Options
    so your saying....becuz i have been thru it i should understand? thats the point. people dont want to see an young man make the same mistake. it getting older you begin to see that everything happens over and over again. nothing changes but the technology.

No, I'm saying that there was a disconnect because he was unwilling to try to understand why I think the way I do because to him, it was unfamiliar. Basically he was trying to preach his way without first understanding someone else's. You can't even properly criticize a point of view without understanding it.
    so your saying....becuz i
    as for experiences....thats what it is...an experience. while you may lok at it like you have something to add to the convo, you do. and you can educate on some ? the old doesnt know about. thats fine. but you cant look at it like you are over him. you are bringing something to the table which is good. even if you dont respect the old heads role and position...you should respect your own role and position.
    be proud that you taught someone older something. i will be the first to admit i dont know everything. but the problem comes when youngins thin because they taught the older person something or corrected them they are somehow better or the old head aint smart.

there is 10 year olds that graduate from college and are super smart...but he still needs guidance from someone with life experience.

I never said because I know something someone else knows, I'm superior to them. I don't believe in natural superiors. We all have knowledge and maybe something to teach. Information is infinite. No one knows everything and no one ever will so because you know more or I know more makes neither one of us greater than the other. The relationship between student and teacher is one of mutual dependency. So what I'm saying is old heads need to stop acting like they are the alpha and omega and accept that the younger generation has a different view, respect it and stop hatin.
  • Bodhi
    Options

cant have it both ways.

even thru that hate at least the man admitted to his fukked up actions. but that is just THAT man.
    thats not how all old heads act.

true
  • Bodhi
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam

but with age comes wisdom for certain people..notice i said certain people.
    sometimes you dont realize how invalid what you are saying is until you live thru it an see that it is.

lets put it this way, i had to lose alot and wasted alot of time by not listening and picking who i wanted to listen to.

when that got me nowhere....i changed how i thought and humbled myself and understood that those before me had something i didnt.

they did have 1 up on me.

once i was able to understand tht an not challenge it.....it helped me more than i could ever put into words.
    so right now....you dont know what you dont know but you will understand in time and then realize you wasted valuable time

I don't think you're getting me, man. You keep putting me in that same box when I never said any of that.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    And to give more examples that are non personal, you can observe the very same thing in music. Older generations tend to pass up newer artists or outright hate on them because they are not what the older heads are accustomed to. I was on a soul forum a while back and the 70s generation wasn't even trying to hear me talk about neo soul. They were on some ? .
    Another example: a lot of big advancements made in science aren't made until the older generation loses their foothold. Why? Because they are so caught up in their own theories and won't listen to the newer generation that has great ideas. They are afraid of change or that what they hold as true will be completely overturned.

here's a good quote on the subject:

“The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know; what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained and he only holds the key to his own secret."