Old brothers = haters

Options

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've only ever witnessed old ? hating on younger generations for making stupid decisions and showing a lack of respect.

Old ? been dropping gems on me since I was young.

I just ain't choose to listen. Smh.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    And to give more examples that are non personal, you can observe the very same thing in music. Older generations tend to pass up newer artists or outright hate on them because they are not what the older heads are accustomed to. I was on a soul forum a while back and the 70s generation wasn't even trying to hear me talk about neo soul. They were on some ? .
    Another example: a lot of big advancements made in science aren't made until the older generation loses their foothold. Why? Because they are so caught up in their own theories and won't listen to the newer generation that has great ideas. They are afraid of change or that what they hold as true will be completely overturned.

here's a good quote on the subject:

“The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know; what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained and he only holds the key to his own secret."

i like your quote and i agree but not all pupils deserve the teachers respect. but lets stay on what you quoted. i know you understand why that teacher would show the pupil respect. because the pupil listens. go to any class room and the teacher will show more attention and respect to the kids thats there to learn and kinda pass over the kids that don't want to listen or learn. even if that teacher sees potential in a pupil that doesnt listen..they will push to get them to listen because they see potential.

and seeing potential comes with life experience.

as for your saying about music....think of it like this. the old head now had to carry speakers and sleep on floors and share rooms and ? just to prove this is what the want and wait there chance to get put on. the old heads call it earning your stripes. but once you earn them only you can stop you.

its kinda like hazing...when you the new kid...? gonna test your mettle..once you proven then you are accepted.

but what generation is not afraid of change?

you think your generation will be welcoming to the generation behind you? trust me you wont. as open minded as you think you are you wont be so open armed
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    HyenaKilla wrote: »
    T/S I can relate 100% with your perspective ... I experienced it in the Army, & currently in a few social settings...ie. VFW bar....

? ... even my own cousin who is 11 years my senior, was sneak-downing me to his main girl(she told me...the irony) & even their jump0ffs(smh), like they feel threatened I'ma ? all his jointz(greed is a muthafucka, u can't claim'em all), but I can tell that them ol' ? been career simps & they are mad insecure since young.

The other non-simpin' old heads usually try to pass forward the hard lessons they've learned concerning women, money, white people, & life in general.... I salute & respect the latter.

this aint got ? to do with being an old head....the ? is just a insecure dude or maybe you just make the ? feel insecure.

the common thing i am seeing in this thread from the youngins is that you are so quick to say someone is hating.

why focus on the negative in ? all the time?

if a ? has to talk down to you to a chick to get her to not like you...then you doing something right. thats what should stick out in your mind. when you worried about a ? then you just as bad as that ? . let him hate and you keep doing your thing.

its like it feels good to say someone hated on you cuz you a few years younger. most of the time that is not even the case.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    I've only ever witnessed old ? hating on younger generations for making stupid decisions and showing a lack of respect.

Old ? been dropping gems on me since I was young.

I just ain't choose to listen. Smh.

wde must run in the same circle......an my ? didnt listen either but i can say i did learn from my mistakes not all of them yet...lol
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    i like your quote and i agree but not all pupils deserve the teachers respect.

You and I disagree here. If it's that easy to say that not all pupils deserve the teacher's respect, it's just as easy to say that not all teachers deserve the pupil's respect which is what this thread is about but then you are arguing against that premise right now. Why the double standard?

and seeing potential comes with life experience.

That has nothing to do with the main topic here.
    as for your saying about music....think of it like this. the old head now had to carry speakers and sleep on floors and share rooms and ? just to prove this is what the want and wait there chance to get put on. the old heads call it earning your stripes. but once you earn them only you can stop you.

its kinda like hazing...when you the new kid...? gonna test your mettle..once you proven then you are accepted.

Yeah except this is not hazing. This is just refusing to pay attention. Plenty of new artists have "earned their stripes" but "earning your stripes" to the older crowd seems to be about appealing to them and not necessarily expressing your personal self. Maybe the generational gap is a little bit too real for some people to handle.

you think your generation will be welcoming to the generation behind you? trust me you wont. as open minded as you think you are you wont be so open armed

You say that with an overwhelming amount of certainty but that's difficult for you to say so soon.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    im saying your idea of what was fun will not be what the next generation of fun will be. things change, so i can say that with alot of certainty.

artists will like some , artist will not like some. i think most artist had lazy music. can we really put kendrick lamar and cheef keef in the same category?

lastly, about the pupil and teacher.
    the teacher took the job to teach. they could have choose any line of work but they choose to teach. now if a student wants to come to class and throw paper and text in class and start fights, why should the teacher respect that child. the teacher seeing hundreds of kids a year and only a few stand out. but i will say the teacher demands respect because they went thru the proper channels to get their degree. they climbed the ladder to get to there place. they may have help hundreds if not thousands of kids ahead of you become something or motivated them some way. now if the teacher is an ? then you can say i don't respect the teacher as a person.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    1. If people of different generations weren't interested in the same things, various fields of study would disappear, the entertainment world would change much more drastically than it does now. Yes things change a little bit but there is a common thread between generations that we can all agree to meet in the middle on. My kid plays with the same things I did when I was his age. The thing is that the older generation needs to listen to the new generation and then AFTER they've gained understanding of our view, help us move forward with what they've learned but don't fight with us over difference of ideas or opinions.
    2. They are not the same but there were great artists in past generations and there were also trash artists.
    3. The teacher should respect the child because that child is a human being and that child is not fully developed mentally. I'm not saying the teacher has to agree with the child's choices but the child needs respect and his or her education is important. A child should never be given up on. All of the teachers that turn their students lives around for the better are called the greatest. I'm tired of older generations passing the buck on kids and acting like they didn't learn from someone who came before them.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    And if a teacher only sees something special in a few kids out of hundreds, that teacher should quit because all children are unique, regardless of their understanding or background. It is up to the teacher to unlock that door and help that student gain proper education.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    1. If people of different generations weren't interested in the same things, various fields of study would disappear, the entertainment world would change much more drastically than it does now. Yes things change a little bit but there is a common thread between generations that we can all agree to meet in the middle on. My kid plays with the same things I did when I was his age. The thing is that the older generation needs to listen to the new generation and then AFTER they've gained understanding of our view, help us move forward with what they've learned but don't fight with us over difference of ideas or opinions.
    2. They are not the same but there were great artists in past generations and there were also trash artists.
    3. The teacher should respect the child because that child is a human being and that child is not fully developed mentally. I'm not saying the teacher has to agree with the child's choices but the child needs respect and his or her education is important. A child should never be given up on. All of the teachers that turn their students lives around for the better are called the greatest. I'm tired of older generations passing the buck on kids and acting like they didn't learn from someone who came before them.

your child plays with the same things you play with because that what you teach them. its like a parent playing old music around their child. the child will respect the old music.

as for what you are saying about teacher an respect. we are talking about two different levels.

all humans should get the least amount of respect. i agree there...but lets not act like kids even give adults that much in return. let alone respect the accomplishments of a teacher. now before anyone says no one needs to respect the accomplishments.....if that person is here to teach me and they are certified on a level way above mine. i think that deserves respect. they shape our future whether we want to admit it or not. unless you are home schooled, all teachers deserve respect as a teacher maybe not as a person. and i think that is what you are speaking about.....yes the teacher should respect the kid as a human, but kids also know right from wrong and the teacher is not there to babysit and sugarcoat.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I didn't teach my kid to play with ninja turtles.

No, all respect is respect.

? , if you really want to get down to the root, society in general does not respect the teacher. How is it that grown people cannot respect the teachers yet we expect the children to? Again, they learn from someone and it's not from the people who come after them.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @pralims

While you and I have most certainly reached a common ground based upon our shared experience with entrepreneurship, it seems that this topic of "respect" persists as a disconnect.

Essentially, I am respectful, well mannered, and well meaning with everyone I meet; But on my own accord. I will never treat anyone beyond my Mother, as if they have an unconditional, unquestionable position above me regarding experience, resourcefulness, intelligence, creativity, success, or otherwise. "Respect" as a form of self-appointed inferiority is something that No One will Ever get from me, period; And that's what a lot of Elders want, to be treated as if they are Superior, which quite frankly stems from both arrogance and ignorance, assuming the opposite. How ironic..

Additionally, given the specifics of my experience as a highly ambitious, cerebral, creative individual, most people don't think like me, off top. I have long since realized that I cannot take people's advice at face value, because Nothing they've done compares to what I do now, let alone what I've got on the horizon. The things I do hourly, daily, weekly, monthly in order to better myself have allowed me to amass a great deal of confidence that may very well come off as arrogance, but I can back it up.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I didn't teach my kid to play with ninja turtles.

No, all respect is respect.

? , if you really want to get down to the root, society in general does not respect the teacher. How is it that grown people cannot respect the teachers yet we expect the children to? Again, they learn from someone and it's not from the people who come after them.

? i agree.. them type parents aint ?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

from what yous saying it seems like you are mixing two different things.
    i agree a man that doesnt build to leave his family anything aint ? , so why would he build for the community? how can you expect him too? every hood i have been to has people that are there trying to do something to change things...every last one. but they get clowned and laughed at and nigas focus on the flashy ? .

and maybe just maybe you youngins should do some research.....and understand that you are bashing a generation that had to fight thru drugs that took alot out of the community. you havent live thru when ? first hit the scene in the 80's.

alot of families got fukked up and alot of kids had no guidance. guess what, those kids grew up and now those are the ones you are bashing for not guiding you in the right direction.

but what about the nigas that didnt fall into that craziness? alot fall onto their shoulders and it doesnt help when young dudes say you aint doing your job. you have no idea those types of struggles....

so you have

fights for freedom->fights for staying alive->fights for rights->fights against drugs->now fights to stabilize.

all that within the matter of a few decades. what makes you think you wont have struggles too? yet you cant see the progress in all that.

think about what i just said for a second before you reply.

But it's the TEACHER'S JOB to find a way to get the message across. Stop with the "they don't want to listen" ? . If that's the case, change your delivery up. Maybe your ? comes off as a hating ass ? or maybe you come off as a father scolding his child.

Y'all need to help the generation before do what they want to do, not what you want them to do SMH.

.... With the hardships of the past generations, I understand that, but what about Black Wall Street? Didn't those brothers and sisters have to go through even harder times? How were they able to build something, yet y'all can't? Why the extremely slow progress? Where are the solutions? Like I said earlier, it seems like y'all either don't see a problem to fix or y'all are just out to get yours.

... Nobody's "bashing" your generation. We're just telling it like it is. Y'all are simply moving too slow with the progress, and when we come to you with proposals y'all wave off our ideas due to (lack of) status or try to make us a clone of you like we're not knowledgeable enough to stand on our own.

A lot of y'all are well off financially, but what does your community you were raised in look like? Are you actually giving back to your community or are you on some tax write off ? ? Have you built anything in your community, franchised or started any businesses, youth programs etc?

SN: If you're doing your job, salute a million times over. I'm just talking in general.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    @pralims

While you and I have most certainly reached a common ground based upon our shared experience with entrepreneurship, it seems that this topic of "respect" persists as a disconnect.

Essentially, I am respectful, well mannered, and well meaning with everyone I meet; But on my own accord. I will never treat anyone beyond my Mother, as if they have an unconditional, unquestionable position above me regarding experience, resourcefulness, intelligence, creativity, success, or otherwise. "Respect" as a form of self-appointed inferiority is something that No One will Ever get from me, period; And that's what a lot of Elders want, to be treated as if they are Superior, which quite frankly stems from both arrogance and ignorance, assuming the opposite. How ironic..

Additionally, given the specifics of my experience as a highly ambitious, cerebral, creative individual, most people don't think like me, off top. I have long since realized that I cannot take people's advice at face value, because Nothing they've done compares to what I do now, let alone what I've got on the horizon. The things I do hourly, daily, weekly, monthly in order to better myself have allowed me to amass a great deal of confidence that may very well come off as arrogance, but I can back it up.

from everything that you stated i would say you demand a certain level of respect. not everyone has what you are saying. so you stand out from others. that alone should be respected because you refuse to follow the norm. again, the no fear of being different should be respected.

the fact you dont want to be a worker bee but want to be the boss, should be respected.

myself i respect everyone until they show they dont deserve it. i understand that no one will ever be on the level of your mother, but thats different. no one can compare to someone that raised you.

maybe everyone has there different definitions and respect different things.

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boy I tell ya @Beam is a smug ass ?

but I ain't mad at you tho breh

keep doing you haha
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but there is an element of truth to the thread

there are oldheads who can give great advice

but there are many who see younger cats as a threat

when truthfully a lot more older cats should put young ? on instead of pimpin them

that's a main factor why the black community struggles to maintain a viable economic base
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

its a shame that youngins want to be heard heard but dont want to listen.

An older woman at my church said something similar.

That the problem today is that too many young people have an opinion.

Then when she talked about how it was back in the day, she said "oh, you had an opinion all right."

Basically saying that.....back when she was growing up..... young people knew their place in regards to how they interacted with their elders.

'Might seem a little bit too extreme on the surface, but at some level there is some truth to this.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @oceanic
    @muhannad x
    @beam
    what do you perceive as an old head you would listen too? since you can say why you wont listen to someone, you should be able to state why you would listen to someone.

Also, define oldhead.

How many years older than you does someone have to be for you to consider them an oldhead?

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @blakfyahking

I'm confident, yes. But I work hard.

• I'm my own boss @ 24, making $10,000+ weekly.
    • I'm an entrepreneurial Creative, controlling 100% of my business from production, packaging, propaganda, presentation, and beyond.
    • I'm independent, living downtown in one of this country's largest and vibrant cities (Chicago).
    • And I've only just gotten started...

Trying to explain what I do is a task in itself, and most don't understand or believe how I have the things that I do. But I would consider myself incredibly open, absorbing all sorts of information from diff sources, people, and places. But the second I'm expected to override my own unique knowledge / experience in order to pander to some old head's ego, well, you get the idea.

@prailims

But I'd never expect anyone to treat me as their superior;
    And I'd never allow anyone to treat me as their subordinate.

@deadeye

See, that's the arrogance (coming from the older woman at your church); That somehow young people don't get to or shouldn't have an opinion.

It wouldn't be an issue if by "place", Elders meant 'a receptive, resourceful outlook during the course of a constructive, two-way conversation,' but they don't. They want to always have the final say, to never be questioned or corrected, to never face opposition or have to explain themselves, to never be held accountable or critically evaluated; And those things stem from unjustified arrogance, and blatant, unapologetic ageism.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    @blakfyahking

I'm confident, yes. But I work hard.

• I'm my own boss @ 24, making $10,000+ weekly.
    • I'm an entrepreneurial Creative, controlling 100% of my business from production, packaging, propaganda, presentation, and beyond.
    • I'm independent, living downtown in one of this country's largest and vibrant cities (Chicago).
    • And I've only just gotten started...

Trying to explain what I do is a task in itself, and most don't understand or believe how I have the things that I do. But I would consider myself incredibly open, absorbing all sorts of information from diff sources, people, and places. But the second I'm expected to override my own unique knowledge / experience in order to pander to some old head's ego, well, you get the idea.

@prailims

But I'd never expect anyone to treat me as their superior;
    And I'd never allow anyone to treat me as their subordinate.

@deadeye

See, that's the arrogance (coming from the older woman at your church); That somehow young people don't get to or shouldn't have an opinion.

It wouldn't be an issue if by "place", Elders meant 'a receptive, resourceful outlook during the course of a constructive, two-way conversation,' but they don't. They want to always have the final say, to never be questioned or corrected, to never face opposition or have to explain themselves, to never be held accountable or critically evaluated; And those things stem from unjustified arrogance, and blatant, unapologetic ageism.

see, now i applaud this man.

his ideas is different from others. he dont want someone to give him ? . he went out an got it for himself. then on top of that, he will listen to advice from all people. i think when people give advice its more of something to think about not to follow word for word. there is not blueprint for the right way to do things but you can build from alot of resources.

not that you would expect respect from me, but i would give it off the strength of you doing your thing at a young age. hell im proud to see you aint about the clubs and all the other ? that ? get into thats destructive yet want someone to help them the way they want to be helped.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i think to many time people get caught up in "why dude coming at me like that he hating". ever think someone could see wasted potential?

think about this for a second.

when i was young i was learning to box, i became good but never enough to go professional. i had to work hard as hell to become ok.
    then you have people who are naturally gifted boxers. they dont need to train to be better than ok.
    i see that i would encourage dude to hone his skill and perfect his craft. but the niga might think i was hating cause i didnt have the skill he had..

lets look at adrein broner. ? got alot of skill but doesnt put the ethic behind it. alot of old head see this and say, slow down, take your time, dont worry about those parties perfect your craft. he didnt listen. then he lost. but his excuse was that everybody loses at some point. youngins say hes young and can bounce back. old heads day he should have never lost because he could have beat him. but the old heads are looked at as hating. old heads say go down in weight you wasnt ready, take another fight to warm up and just refocus and maybe get a different trainer....this dude talks about after parties and immediate rematches.

now think of serena williams....how she blew down doors and dominated her sport. then comes the new black chick, i forget her name sloan stevens i think. she wants serena to give her props and take her under her wing. serena says no go practice...sloan then bashes serena on twitter and laughs when serena loses. but serena is hating? even though serena helped pave the way for this chick.

so at times, if someone is encouraging you or giving good advice or telling to to practice more, how is that hating?

if someone is saying be better or maybe this bit of advice can make you better, why is that a bad thing?

i would take it and say thank you. if it dont fit my plan then i wont use it but i will at least think about it.

now if a ? dont want you to be ? an is trying to sabotage ya ? then yes, thats hating. but someone wanting to pass info or even want to chat cause maybe you a cool ? , just limiting ? just because you think its about your youth.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @pralims. I'm gonna respond to some of your posts tomorrow or later on this week. Good sh*t.

@NothingButTheTruth. Hit it right on the head once again. You got exactly what I was talking about.

Some folks got defensive because they felt I was talking about them. Sometimes you gotta open yourself up to criticism instead of getting defensive and emotional. With that mindset you won't grow.

FYI I'm an old a*s brother and was talking about myself too. I'm 33 y/o and while I'm a professional, got my degrees etc. I'm still not where I want to be in life.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Some n*ggas was like I don't see it around my way, but I'm calling bullsh*t. Everyone has seen the type of brother I was talking about. To deny their existence you have to be too young, lack basic analytical skills or one of these haters we're talking about.

Go to any black 'community' in any developed country and you'll see blacks just living there. There ain't no economy being set up for young blacks; sad rerality is a young black professional or entrepreneur has to crossover to the non-black side if he wants to succeed.
    Money isn't circulated in those communities, most retail will be owned by outsiders that don't care for blacks and this is even in countries where blacks make the majority. Blacks are always dependant on outsiders else for their basic needs. Ofcourse I'm generalizing but If I'm a young black guy living in a black (diasporan) community trying to get my feet wet in the corporate field, will there be enough black men who can provide valuable advise or take me under their wing?

To all these guys acting like what I said was this farfetched, how many brothers have you heard talking about saving money? How many brothers have you heard talking about investing? How many times have you heard black folks say something like "if it was good enough for me it's good enough for you" when they don't give you something. Sad reality is (diasporan) blacks don't care about leaving their offspring with anything tangible. They'll never grow up.

If you're a young, ambitious brother, chances are you wíll find out alot of those older brothers this thread's about can't provide you anything and are a liability before they will ever be an asset.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Black folks as a whole don't wanna grow up and don't know the meaning of sacrifice. A 'n*gga' will 'invest' his money in trinkets that will depreciate quick like clothes, cars, vices (like women, clubbing etc.) before he'll invest it in something that will him make money ion the long run. I never forget Don King said something like if you give a n*gga a million or something that'll make him more millions in the long run he'll go for that million. Say what you want about the man, but was he lying?

When these n*ggas are old and wrinkled up and they'll look back on their life, they'll realize they've only life made choices based on instant gratification rather than making life choices that could be beneficial in the long run.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @MUHANNADX i know this is your thread but you are off topic like crazy. If you are saying that there are ain't ? ? in the black community world wide then i think every one would agree with you. if you are saying that black people need a better understanding of economics then i would agree with you

But if you are saying that it's the old guys keeping the young guys down or hating on them somehow then i would have to disagree with you. The only older heads that owe you anything are your blood relations any help you get from any one else is extra.

and you are not a "old ass brother" you are only 33.