Michael B Jordan considered for Human Torch role in F4 reboot

Options

Comments

• lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No ? given. Wasn't going to see this regardless what color the Human Torch was.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was no need to reboot the series in the first place. FF has always been low on the totem pole for me anyways
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was no need to reboot the series in the first place. FF has always been low on the totem pole for me anyways

Yes there was. When done right it's the source of some of the greatest comic book stories you'd ever find (Ie: Hickman's recent run with the franchise). Not only that it's also the source of some of the dopest spinoff characters in the entire Marvel pantheon (The Inhumans, Silver Surfer, Black Panther) and always did an excellent job of incorporating Timely's first major character (Sub-Mariner) into the modern Marvel Universe that came after Timely's demise. The Fantastic Four is the first family of Marvel Comics for a reason.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw a fantastic 4 movie not too long ago and it wasn't very good. I won't be looking to watch the same film with difference actors I don't give a ? who plays who.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Yes there was. When done right it's the source of some of the greatest comic book stories you'd ever find (Ie: Hickman's recent run with the franchise). Not only that it's also the source of some of the dopest spinoff characters in the entire Marvel pantheon (The Inhumans, Silver Surfer, Black Panther) and always did an excellent job of incorporating Timely's first major character (Sub-Mariner) into the modern Marvel Universe that came after Timely's demise. The Fantastic Four is the first family of Marvel Comics for a reason.

Actually, it would have been much better if Fox chose not to reboot the series. F4 might have been stuck with them, but if they had let the property languish Marvel could have gotten the characters back. With them opening up the Cosmic side of the movieverse it really sucks that the Skrulls, Kree, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus, and probably others are stuck with Fox.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Actually, it would have been much better if Fox chose not to reboot the series. F4 might have been stuck with them, but if they had let the property languish Marvel could have gotten the characters back. With them opening up the Cosmic side of the movieverse it really sucks that the Skrulls, Kree, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus, and probably others are stuck with Fox.

Fantastic Four needed a reboot because 99% of movie fans don't know how ? cool that franchise could truly be. Granted I don't think this is going to be that opportunity, this cast is just as bad as the old one and I actually think Michael B. Jordan is an ok actor. To think that Fox was ever going to let the rights lapse though is naive wishful thinking. This isn't Daredevil; Fox knows what they have on their hands here in terms of going big and merchandising so they'll hold on to the rights with an iron grip just like X-Men.

I don't care about Marvel's movie verse at all so whether or not FF is a part of it doesn't matter to me but I would like to see at least a decent adaptation of this property one day. Even if it's animated.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ some of the comments. How bout we all wait until yhe trailer/movie drops b4 we cast judgment.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    If they can have jesus, we get Johnny storm

Real talk........thats was a good one hue,sound like something PAUL MOONEY would say....

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who the hell is that much of a fantastic four fan?

real talk!

the source material is boring and wack...

yes, lets make another movie...

they couldn't even get a cartoon series to launch... nobody give a ? about that much damn science!!!

they need a reboot . the first two movies were boring. they didn't do ? with the thing in part 2. the problem with the fantastic 4 is they have a boring rogues gallery. all they have is dr doom and that's it. other than that it's threats from space like the skrulls or galactus. who else could they throw at them unless it's the frightful four which would be cliché if they just threw their opposite number at them. they should have a black panther cameo in this movie since in the comics he premiered in the fantastic 4 . it would be a good set up for a solo movie. matter of fact that would be a great plot for the reboot. the ff vs dr klaw and the frightful 4 let it start in new York with panther breaking into the baxter bldg. and whipping the ff's ass like he did in the comics. then he explains he needs their help "I need your help dr Richards yadda yadda, klaw, yadda yadda wakanda vibranium...." then they take on klaw and the frightful 4 later in wakanda over vibranium.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    The ethnicity of the actors is pretty irrelevant and insignificant imo

I disagree. that's just Hollywood being lazy and the black actor thing is a trend. why not just do a movie about a black superhero(*ahem*black panther) ben grimm is jewish. who are you going to replace him with Michael Strahan? on a sidenote I didn't mind Kerry Washington as Alicia masters.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    with the fantastic 4 is they have a boring rogues gallery. all they have is dr doom and that's it.

Dude, unless the Rogue's Gallery is

1418544-batman_villains_1969.jpg

Spider-Man_Villains.jpg

or

500px-X-men-villains.jpg

All of them could be characterized as "weak," or "boring." Hell, Supes' Rogue Gallery, (with the notable exception of Lex, Brainiac, Darkseid, Zod and em (shout out to Broddie and his encyclopedic knowledge about this ? , especially as it concerns all things, "Superman," for letting ya boy know that Darkseid is indeed a Superman Rogue, but forgive my digression,) and probably Metallo, and the Parasite, and Intergang, (but Intergang could be easily tied to Darkseid,) could be be classified as boring. Though the issue with Superman's Rogue, (and again Broddie might agree with me,) Superman isn't the easiest character to write for comic book writers. So image ? trying to probably write Superman and his rogues with only rudimentary knowledge of the characters, which is why Superman movies (with the exception of MoS to a certain extent,) kinda fall flat.

Just of the strength of Doom, Galactus, The Frightful Four, and things that can be done with the Skrulls and the Kree makes the FF's Rogue's Gallery above average, plus if you add in the Inhumans, these things can factor into a good or possibly even a GOAT movie.

Also, I'd say that Iron Man, Thor, and Cap have among the weakest rogues in fandom, (with Loki and possibly being the Red Skull, being the exceptions here,) and we all know how well these films were received. It all boils down to the writing. The X-men arguably has the second best, (some would argue THE BEST,) rogue's gallery in comics, but when those characters were but on screen, (with the exception of Magento, Liv Shieber as Sabertooth, and Jennifer Lawrence's of Mystique,) those characters were boring and weak as ? .

Like Broddie said, FF (if properly written and executed,) has the potential to be the GOAT franchise if the screenwriters, executive producers, and the director understand what it is that makes the FF tick and a lot of it has to do with the interpersonal relationships between the Reed, Susie, Johnny, and Ben. You have to get into Doom's meglamania and his insecurities has in regard to Reed. You have to get into Norrin Rad unwillingness to be Galactus' first herald, and how Galactus isn't necessarily bad per se, he just consumes planets as a means of sustenance. The potential is there, the question will we see it fruition.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The imhumans and black panther belong to marvel studious we won't see those in FF reboot for fox and BP may be appearing in the Avengers 2 movie at the end. Fantastic four needs a good writer and Director that understands the books and their rogue gallery are fine just not utilized properly. Namor won't be seen either Marvel has his rights as well I believe..unless I'm wrong on that one then fox needs to include him at some point.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reading this ish, comic book nerds are some elitist muhfuckas boy, lol
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should make Dr. Doom Mexican
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    gns wrote: »

No moreso than any other group of fanatics. If you've been to the Reason or Cheap Seats, you've seen as bad or worse than what's in this thread.
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if they are trying to link the avengers, guardians of the galaxy, and the fantastic four together in a huge blockbuster. I'm assuming they would fight thanous or whatever his name is.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Not the fantastic four. They are made by Fox not Marvel Studios like the Avengers and GotG.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? is that suppose to mean? All we're asking for is a relatively accurate version of what we've been reading all of these years brought to the big screen. Before Marvel started making it's own movies, the only dope comic book-to movie adaptions, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man, Blade, Batman, The Crow, Superman II and Superman The Movie.

What usually happens and a perfect case of this is G. I. J.O.E.The Rise of Cobra, Superman Returns[/i], and arguably the X-Men 2 and X-Men 3 is that some director, screen writer, or producer has an idea for a movie that he can't get green lit on his own, however, the studio executives tap him to do some superhero franchise. Said director, screenwriter, or producer will use the superhero, (or comic book property,) as a vehicle to bring to fruition the wack ass ideas he had. A perfect example was the accelerator suits in G. I. J.O.E.The Rise of Cobra. Stephen Sommers had this idea for accelerator suits and when he got the RoC project he saw an opportunity to finally get his accelerator suits in a movie. Plus the other random ? he did, like making G.I. JOE a multi-national group instead of a American special operations team, making Ripcord black, having the reason why Snakes couldn't take is because he took a "vow of silence," and Duke having a previous relationship with the Baroness. If you look at the film adaptions of comics, generally the ones people, (and the fandom,) like the most are the ones that the used the source material as a foundation to tell an original story.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its lose lose situation I have yet to hear anybody who are comic book savvy truly enjoy a comic book adaptation in movies its very very very rare, its similar to how star wars fan hate episode 1,2, and 3.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? they picked to play Sue Storm wack as ? ... they need to b upset about that...
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No ? given. Wasn't going to see this regardless what color the Human Torch was.
    Bingo.

and bingo.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who the hell is that much of a fantastic four fan?

real talk!

the source material is boring and wack...

yes, lets make another movie...

they couldn't even get a cartoon series to launch... nobody give a ? about that much damn science!!!

they need a reboot . the first two movies were boring. they didn't do ? with the thing in part 2. the problem with the fantastic 4 is they have a boring rogues gallery. all they have is dr doom and that's it. other than that it's threats from space like the skrulls or galactus. who else could they throw at them unless it's the frightful four which would be cliché if they just threw their opposite number at them. they should have a black panther cameo in this movie since in the comics he premiered in the fantastic 4 . it would be a good set up for a solo movie. matter of fact that would be a great plot for the reboot. the ff vs dr klaw and the frightful 4 let it start in new York with panther breaking into the baxter bldg. and whipping the ff's ass like he did in the comics. then he explains he needs their help "I need your help dr Richards yadda yadda, klaw, yadda yadda wakanda vibranium...." then they take on klaw and the frightful 4 later in wakanda over vibranium.

black panther in fantastic four? I need you to educate yourself.
    Big Kola wrote: »
    I wonder if they are trying to link the avengers, guardians of the galaxy, and the fantastic four together in a huge blockbuster. I'm assuming they would fight thanous or whatever his name is.

grow up

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first two FF movies were alright just not nearly enough action to make the average moviegoer happy though. They spent too much time going over the science-y aspect of the characters and their dynamic as a group.

If you watch movies for what they are instead of what you want them to be you can enjoy yourself more.