NC High School students win right to start atheist club

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    COULD be man created all these religions out of love for everything that exists, the fact that religion exists does not mean that is was a result of fear. It could be that the desire to worship something evolved to give a survival advantage to men, those who believe above those who don't.

yeah that was explained in the first source I gave you.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    So going back to the topic... judging by the reactions of the religious-minded people in this thread it should be pretty obvious now why high school atheists might want to form a club where they can have an intelligent conversation that doesn't include ignorant assumptions, feelings-based personal attacks or people getting intellectually backed into corners and then saying some wild ? about how gophers and dogs and bald eagles are religious.

Lol your side is the one that made all the assumptions and started insulting. But id love for you to show me where i got "intellectually backed into a corner and responded with wild ? " lol right, meanwhile i swiss cheesed the 'man made ? ' argument and was not rebuttaled ? changed the subject

proof of an atheist throwing the first shot?

proof of you "Swiss cheesing" anything?

That wasn't you that started the pocahontas talk. Oh.
    That wasn't you who took issue with me and responded with walls of google text about ancient man being too dumb to know ? isn't real? Then jumped off the subject entirely once i pointed out your whole stance was based on assumption and faith, nothing provable. Once i rebuttaled you went from 'man made ? cause he dumb and scared' to 'you talk to animals'

That wasn't you that came into the thread insulting @VIBE and atheists in general? Oh.

that wasn't you that could never properly respond to my original question directed at you? I see.

Lol by calling his argument childish i insulted him. I see. I didn't know your feelings for vibe were so strong.

Never cared to reply since you chose half a line from my post to focus on and ducked the rest. My premise stood with or without that line. I however attacked your whole premise and thought process highlighting the hypocrisy in your beliefs. Unsurprisingly you had no response

No, your entire post was an argument based off the premise that the atheist is, by nature, insecure. You then went on to explain why. Your theory is that all of sentient life knows the existence of ? yet the atheist denies this instinctive knowledge.

I attacked your argument at the root by challenging your baseless theory that all of nature has knowledge of the existence of your ? . You have failed to prove your theory, as expected, which shows that you are simply making things up.

More ?
    You challenged my assertion with 3 pages of google quotes about dumb scared men creating ? and one question asking me to clarify my statement that everything INCLUDING the atheist knows ? . I ignored outright clarifying because the subject we were on itself is proof enough even your google pastes but that subtlety was lost on you in favor of your blind faith. The hypocrisy you displayed is the fact that the evidence points towards an intrinsic knowledge of ? in humans. The evidence in question being that every single civilization big or small believes in a creator. Instead of believing that you reject it purely because of Faith that that is not the case. which is fine but your faith is in an unproveable assumption and yet you want me to prove the opposite
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So going back to the topic... judging by the reactions of the religious-minded people in this thread it should be pretty obvious now why high school atheists might want to form a club where they can have an intelligent conversation that doesn't include ignorant assumptions, feelings-based personal attacks or people getting intellectually backed into corners and then saying some wild ? about how gophers and dogs and bald eagles are religious.

The ? you posting in a ? pic thread for?!?

Aight really though, nh, I'm out
  • Bodhi
    Options
    No one knows what give birth to religion we can only speculate.

Obviously fear. What do you think sacrifices were made for?

The ancients made sacrifices to their gods in order to please them and thus avoid disaster. But the disasters they sought to avoid were due to natural causes they couldn't yet understand.
  • Bodhi
    edited February 2014
    Options
    More ?
    You challenged my assertion with 3 pages of google quotes about dumb scared men creating ? and one question asking me to clarify my statement that everything INCLUDING the atheist knows ? . I ignored outright clarifying because the subject we were on itself is proof enough even your google pastes but that subtlety was lost on you in favor of your blind faith. The hypocrisy you displayed is the fact that the evidence points towards an intrinsic knowledge of ? in humans. The evidence in question being that every single civilization big or small believes in a creator. Instead of believing that you reject it purely because of Faith that that is not the case. which is fine but your faith is in an unproveable assumption and yet you want me to prove the opposite

1. The sources I posted were in response to zombie and wade, who refused to believe I was telling the truth. Wade asked me where I read it. So I gave him links to prove it's really common knowledge.

2. The subject we are on does not in itself prove your claim that animals (which are included in "everything") know ? . You failed to prove that.

3. Many civilizations claim the existence of some type of ? but none of them agree on who or what ? is or does, respectively. Also, there are non theistic religions that explain our existence without positing the idea of a creator ? (Taoism, Buddhism, some forms of Hinduism, Jainism). Just because a lot of people talk about something doesn't mean its true. Try again.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ancients made sacrifices to their gods in order to please them and thus avoid disaster. But the disasters they sought to avoid were due to natural causes they couldn't yet understand.

Not all religions have sacrifices so obviously you don't know what the ? you are talking about and the sacrifices in some religions were not made to avoid disasters they were used as a way to ask their gods for favors.
  • zombie
    edited February 2014
    Options
    More ?

1. The sources I posted were in response to zombie and wade, who refused to believe I was telling the truth. Wade asked me where I read it. So I gave him links to prove it's really common knowledge.

2. The subject we are on does not in itself prove your claim that animals (which are included in "everything") know ? . You failed to prove that.

3. Many civilizations claim the existence of some type of ? but none of them agree on who or what ? is or does, respectively. Also, there are non theistic religions that explain our existence without positing the idea of a creator ? (Taoism, Buddhism, some forms of Hinduism, Jainism). Just because a lot of people talk about something doesn't mean its true. Try again.

Your sources are ass. Because like I said earlier it is only guess work. No one alive today can know what motivated ancient man to follow his religions be they theistic or non theistic.

The conclusion that it was fear that created the concept is faulty.

• Bodhi
    Options
    LOL @Will Money being so upset, he took the time to go through all of my LOL posts and wack them. Good job, bro. Keep doing what you do.
  • Bodhi
    edited February 2014
    Options

Not all religions have sacrifices so obviously you don't know what the ? you are talking about and the sacrifices in some religions were not made to avoid disasters they were used as a way to ask their gods for favors.

The primitive religions did.

And yes, they asked their gods for favors because they were scared of disfavor, which realistically speaking was natural disaster, not the act of a ? .
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Your sources are ass. Because like I said earlier it is only guess work. No one alive today can know what motivated ancient man to follow his religions be they theistic or non theistic.

prove it
  • zombie
    Options

And yes, they asked their gods for favors because they were scared of disfavor, which realistically speaking was natural disaster, not the act of a ? .

You don't know that and cannot prove it . Asking your ? /gods for a favor does not mean you were motivated by fear.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @Will Money being so upset, he took the time to go through all of my LOL posts and wack them. Good job, bro. Keep doing what you do.

Haven't read a single one of your posts in here to be honest. I just wacced all ur posts becuase you wacced one of my posts that wasn't wacc so I was just returning the favor. Nothing personal, just business.
  • zombie
    edited February 2014
    Options

prove it

Unless those sources have a time machine everything they say about the motivations behind ancient people belife in ? is ass. We only guess. unless there is physical proof written some where stating their motivations and even if fear is the motivation for one civilization that does not mean it was that way for all or even the majority.
  • Bodhi
    Options

You don't know that and cannot prove it . Asking your ? /gods for a favor does not mean you were motivated by fear.

it does in their case. It is well documented. Look it up.
  • zombie
    Options

it does in their case. It is well documented. Look it up.

No one alive was there so like I said people just guess.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

Haven't read a single one of your posts in here to be honest. I just wacced all ur posts becuase you wacced one of my posts that wasn't wacc so I was just returning the favor. Nothing personal, just business.

I don't remember what post I wacked but if I clicked the wack button it probably was wack.

• Bodhi
    Options

prove it

Unless those sources have a time machine everything they say about the motivations behind ancient people belife in ? is ass. We only guess. unless there is physical proof written some where stating their motivations and even if fear is the motivation for one civilization that does not mean it was that way for all or even the majority.

The information gathered about these cultures are from documents of their era. Like I said, look it up.

Even religions today carry that same concept. Some African religions believe that if you do not give your ancestors adequate praise, they will cause you misfortune.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Even modern Christianity teaches its adherents to fear ? . If ? is not worshipped, he sends those who deny him to eternal torture.
  • zombie
    Options

prove it

The information gathered about these cultures are from documents of their era. Like I said, look it up.

Even religions today carry that same concept. Some African religions believe that if you do not give your ancestors adequate praise, they will cause you misfortune.

Nothing I have read has proved your position if you say ? was used as an easy way to explain the unknown then you would be right. But once you stray into saying that fear was the cause then you have to prove it and no one can do that.
  • Bodhi
    Options

prove it

Nothing I have read has proved your position

Then maybe you need to do a little more reading. Don't blame your lack of knowledge on me.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    if you say ? was used as an easy way to explain the unknown then you would be right.

I'm glad to see you agree that ? is man-made.
  • zombie
    edited February 2014
    Options
    if you say ? was used as an easy way to explain the unknown then you would be right.

I'm glad to see you agree that ? is man-made.

Not my ? and anyway I was talking from an objective stand point.
  • zombie
    edited February 2014
    Options

prove it

Nothing I have read has proved your position

Then maybe you need to do a little more reading. Don't blame your lack of knowledge on me.

It is impossible to read and know everything and even if you did people interpret the same data differently. So maybe you should also do more reading or better try thinking.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

prove it

Unless those sources have a time machine everything they say about the motivations behind ancient people belife in ? is ass. We only guess.

Nothing I have read has proved your position if you say ? was used as an easy way to explain the unknown then you would be right.

I don't get it...Why does one position need a time machine to show its true, but the other position can be accepted w/o an time machine?
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

prove it

Nothing I have read has proved your position if you say ? was used as an easy way to explain the unknown then you would be right. But once you stray into saying that fear was the cause then you have to prove it and no one can do that.

Dude is clearly blinded by faith. He's convinced he knows the motivations of entire civilizations thousands of years old. Right. ? get too lost in the craccasauce. Clearly never been involved in any type of scientific investigation cause he cant grasp the concept that everything he's saying is built upon faith, theory and assumption. He reminds me of ktulu in that they can only regurgitate information, not use it and think for themselves.

Even if we do make the assumption that every religion ever formed has a fear of their ? in it. It still does not prove his assumption that these religions were created out of fear. You could just as easily assume since they have an element in the religion centered around the concept of prosperity that the religions were created due to a desire for prosperity. You could replace fear with any number of random elements in the religion and say that those were the cause for the religion. Its all guessing, assumption, conjecture. The reason the "fear" based idea is pushed is because modern science likes to minimize the past, if you can just chalk everything up to "they were afraid dont mind them" then you can just brush everything that doesnt gel with today's beliefs aside