From a musical standpoint, Me Against The World is wack.

Options
Nah Son
Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Reason
No shock thread.

I just listened to MATW after a long time, and i once again realised that I'm not feeling that album at all.

Average beats at best, awful hooks (just listen to Outlawz), no real bangers. Sure MATW and Dear Mama are classic tracks but that about it. The majority of the rest is Skip material.

Pacs lyrics, his delivery and the overall content of the songs is dope as always but what's the use of good content when it sounds wack?

"Old School" is the perfect example. The meaning and the homage he pays to the Old School is cool of course but I could make that beat on FL Studio. Drums and a few flute sounds, thats it.

All the other classic albums that dropped around that era (Illmatic, Ready To Die, ? etc.) are better than MATW imho.

Don't get me wrong, I got mad love and respect for Tupac and he surely is one of the GOATS. I know that MATW is widely considered as a classic album but personally I don't think it is.

7 Day Theory>>>>>>>>>>> MATW
All Eyez On Me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MATW

Drop your opinions.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Stop it, slime.
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    pac to me only droped 3 good albums and this is one of them
  • jonathand
    jonathand Members Posts: 3,144
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Wack? No. On the level of other albums that dropped that year (OB4CL, The Infamous, Dogg Food, E.1999 Eternal, Liquid Swords)? Not even close..
  • Moeskezli
    Moeskezli Members Posts: 103
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ca21 wrote: »
    No shock thread.

I just listened to MATW after a long time, and i once again realised that I'm not feeling that album at all.

Average beats at best, awful hooks (just listen to Outlawz), no real bangers. Sure MATW and Dear Mama are classic tracks but that about it. The majority of the rest is Skip material.

Pacs lyrics, his delivery and the overall content of the songs is dope as always but what's the use of good content when it sounds wack?

"Old School" is the perfect example. The meaning and the homage he pays to the Old School is cool of course but I could make that beat on FL Studio. Drums and a few flute sounds, thats it.

All the other classic albums that dropped around that era (Illmatic, Ready To Die, ? etc.) are better than MATW imho.

Don't get me wrong, I got mad love and respect for Tupac and he surely is one of the GOATS. I know that MATW is widely considered as a classic album but personally I don't think it is.

7 Day Theory>>>>>>>>>>> MATW
    All Eyez On Me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MATW

Drop your opinions.

I'm a huge Pac fan, but I'll agree with the bolded. The production on MATW was lacking on A FEW songs, Old School being one. That's like a cookout/block party only type joint. Can U Get Away is lacking lyrically, ? The World's beat is ehhh and you might lose interest between Dear Mama and Death Around The Corner, I'll say that.

Things is, you can say the same for the other classics you named IMO. The beat for "One Time 4 Your Mind" on Illmatic is dated and so is Halftime. The same for Machine Gun Funk IMO. And I can't remember one hook on Illmatic besides Life's a ? at the moment.

But this was Pac's most introspective album, right in the middle of all the turmoil. There wasn't gone to be no 'bangers'. But If I Die 2nite, Me Against The World, and So Many Tears is one of the best 1, 2, 3 tracks on an album ever (excluding the intro). Death Around The Corner, Lord Knows, Dear Mama, Heavy in the Game... There's too much real ? on here for it not to be classic.
  • Nah Son
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Moeskezli wrote: »
    I'm a huge Pac fan, but I'll agree with the bolded. The production on MATW was lacking on A FEW songs, Old School being one. That's like a cookout/block party only type joint. Can U Get Away is lacking lyrically, ? The World's beat is ehhh and you might lose interest between Dear Mama and Death Around The Corner, I'll say that.

Things is, you can say the same for the other classics you named IMO. The beat for "One Time 4 Your Mind" on Illmatic is dated and so is Halftime. The same for Machine Gun Funk IMO. And I can't remember one hook on Illmatic besides Life's a ? at the moment.

But this was Pac's most introspective album, right in the middle of all the turmoil. There wasn't gone to be no 'bangers'. But If I Die 2nite, Me Against The World, and So Many Tears is one of the best 1, 2, 3 tracks on an album ever (excluding the intro). Death Around The Corner, Lord Knows, Dear Mama, Heavy in the Game... There's too much real ? on here for it not to be classic.

I respect that and like I said I know and appreciate that Pac was spitting real and deep ? on the album. But a classic is defined by having a flawless tracklist (no skip tracks) amongst other things. And that's just not the case with MATW imho.
  • destro1
    destro1 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Me against the world is classic..... Nothing to say, PAC kept it real, the beats should never out shadow lyrics...ever!! Its like Illmatic classic album with lyrics all day but the beats will never be what we are used to this day and age so some may knock it and say its not that classic.
  • youngbloodp
    youngbloodp Members Posts: 11
    Options
    Man yall ? some ? . The ? album is a classic. Period.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    what made you up an 4 year old thread wtf
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what made you up an 4 year old thread wtf

Check his post count.
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In b4 @menace arrives in super saiyan stan mode and starts posting biblical chapter sized paragraphs
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You people have trash taste in music no wonder hip hop is dead.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The ? you mean MATW is wack? Maybe you had a wack day and decided to make a wack thread.
    Mods close this ? .

Nah Son
    you cool bruh but you're on some special kind of dope for coming sideways at a Masterpiece made By* Tupac.
    Ima let this one slide next time im shuting this thread down. actually.....? that.

Pac didnt even reach his peak MATW was so big that it beat ? Bruce Springsteen of all people for the No.1 spot. MATW is a certified classic and an influential album which rappers constantly praise to this day.
    Even though i think 7DT is Pac's best work MATW can go head to head with it anytime.

Dear Momma is ? inducted in the got damn Library Of Congress!

Tracks like Shed So Many Tears,Dear Momma,Lord Knows,MATW,Old School,Temptations,? The World and more make this a 5/5 album certified classic.

ALL HAIL THE GOAT
  • _Menace_
    Options
    This is a 4 year old thread?

Nah Son how you feel about the album now?
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I think the production MATW is great. It has an atypical New York sound given Pac's catalog, but Pac rocks it effortlessly.

So you didn't like the production and you thought it was whack? Well, ok. 99% of the rest of us think this album is a classic.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Nah Son
    you cool bruh but you're on some special kind of dope for coming sideways at a Masterpiece made my Tupac.

• spiritgod87
    spiritgod87 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kys. Threadstarter
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ahhh yes. The internets...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? said "my Tupac" smh wow
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of my fave Pac albums.

Nah, ? ..
  • Nah Son
    Options
    Well damn

I honestly dont remember making this thread and lookin back on it I never shouldve

This reads like one of those ? complex troll articles and I hate them ?

I will say that MATW is still not my favorite Pac album but callin it "wack from a musical standpoint" sounds crazy. I like AEOM me better and still think the production on MATW sounds a little dated but you cant front on the lyrics and overall feel of the album

But then again this was four years ago so forgive a brother lol
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »

This dude said "perfect example."

Golden Age = Lyrics first, beat second.

Today = Beat first, lyrics second.
  • _Menace_
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Nah Son
    you cool bruh but you're on some special kind of dope for coming sideways at a Masterpiece made my Tupac.

? auto correct...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options