How Do Yall Feel About This? (Double Standard Question)

Options

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    generally and historically, men have not been beholden to physical standards...
    men were/are judged by a lot of things...
    no real man can come in here and say he felt pressure to look a certain way to be considered a man.

I stand by my post...
    money, power >>>
    u make your way as a man by attaining wealth and power.
    gym flow aint got ? to do with being a man in this world unless its your occupation in some way...

Quoted for emphasis
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    idk gary coleman was a running joke till he died and you should hear some of the things said about the ufc 125 lb mens division and mighty mouse is rich and entertaining as ? .
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've seen ? that looked like ? nerds but commanded more respect from the crowd than brutish looking ? .

Being a man doesn't have anything to do with physicality from a physique standpoint.

It's more about power, wealth, respect, and the ability to excel even in dire circumstances.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Being a man" outside of biological makeup is not as concrete as you want to make it seem.

Otherwise you could say "you arent a man unless ? "and it be a factual statement.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Except i can.

In my early 20s i was like 150lbs and felt mad pressure to pick up some weight/muscle to be physically "manly".

I mean skinny dudes arent on all these supplements grinding gym time just for their health.

That's only because you didn't have money either.

As a woman, even Oprah is getting judged by her appearance.

Dont you and other women judge men by their height and weight everyday?
  • Kat
    Options
    Except i can.

In my early 20s i was like 150lbs and felt mad pressure to pick up some weight/muscle to be physically "manly".

I mean skinny dudes arent on all these supplements grinding gym time just for their health.

Women talk ? cause we like to give it to men the same way men give it to us, make them see how it feels.

Truth is, my man is my height and on the slim side. My ex was my height and on the fluffy side.

So yes, physically ideal men are nice to look at but that ? isn't going to make or break a man in my opinion.

• YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I think it's from both sides.

Usually men can get away for the fact that if men are financially stable, charismatic and confident personality wise, they don't gotta be Prince Charming or captain America in the looks department, as opposed to women being looked at as more sexual objects, feel the pressure to be more perfect in that prototype way.

All I know is I've seen good looking chicks with whatever dudes in the looks department, whether skinny, chubby, or geeky looking, they don't gotta be all around athlete while the girls are on point.

But that don't mean girls don't dig dudes in shape with body and good looks obviously, just not as much of emphasis is put on looks as dudes expect from women, even if they are average.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YC11
    Options
    Captain America would be a better example, girls don't like their men looking like he-man wtf.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Except i can.

Women talk ? cause we like to give it to men the same way men give it to us, make them see how it feels.

Truth is, my man is my height and on the slim side. My ex was my height and on the fluffy side.

So yes, physically ideal men are nice to look at but that ? isn't going to make or break a man in my opinion.

So would you date mini me?
  • Kat
    Options
    Except i can.

So would you date mini me?

Don't use extremes to try and make a point.

We all know that a male's physical appearance is less important to the average female than vice versa.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you seen kat baby daddy you wouldnt take anything she says seriously regarding a males looks.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if you argue that men aren't beholden to the same physical standards, conversely women aren't beholden to the same financial standards either. A woman having her own is more like a "and 1" whereas with a guy that's pretty much expected.

And money power>>> might be true overall but in terms of interpersonal relationships that ? is overblown. Women can be damn near just as physically superficial as dudes; especially in the Black community. Let's not get it twisted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think some people are missing part of the point though. It's not so much that about the Barbie or He-Man cartoons and what they did. He-Man's ? name is HE-MAN. The dude is supposed to be the pinnacle of manliness. In other words, if you are a male, that's what you should be striving for. It's pretty much the same message encapsulated by Barbie.

It's not just He-man. Watch any show, cartoon, game, or whatever directed at males. The protagonists always represent an idealized mostly unattainable physical specimen. It's the same thing as what women complain about.
  • YC11
    Options
    Why is he beast looking
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think some people are missing part of the point though. It's not so much that about the Barbie or He-Man cartoons and what they did. He-Man's ? name is HE-MAN. The dude is supposed to be the pinnacle of manliness. In other words, if you are a male, that's what you should be striving for. It's pretty much the same message encapsulated by Barbie.

It's not just He-man. Watch any show, cartoon, game, or whatever directed at males. The protagonists always represent an idealized mostly unattainable physical specimen. It's the same thing as what women complain about.

lol...
    u ? really felt pressure to rule a kingdom with a magic sword and green tiger?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

lol...

Nah, that's not the point. The point is as a character he represents an idealized version of manliness, the same way Barbie represents an idealized version of the female physique.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Furthermore I'd argue that male looks matter more to women now than ever before in human history due to women being more autonomous than they've ever been. Back in the day when women weren't in the work force they had to rely on men for stability so your looks to her might be secondary or tertiary. Now that's nowhere near the case.
  • Meta_Conscious
    edited March 2014
    Options

lol...

Nah, that's not the point. The point is as a character he represents an idealized version of manliness, the same way Barbie represents an idealized version of the female physique.

it had more to do with being brave and a good leader than his physical appearance... nor was it pushed onto little boys that they need to look like him... ever... this game y'all trying to play is silly...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

lol...

it had more to do with being brave and a good leader than his physical appearance... nor was it pushed onto little boys that they need to look like him... ever... this game y'all trying to play is silly...

Again, you're talking about the show. That's not the point of the topic. The point is that women often complain about how female characters usually represent a unrealistic physical standard. The same is the case for male characters. How many heroes or popular male characters look like the average guy? Very few.
  • YC11
    Options
    What women are saying, and I tend to agree is that, it's true about physical standard set on both male and female.... But in reality, males tend to hold higher standard when it comes to women in physical aspect.

There are women who have high standard when it comes to looks as well, just not as much as guys. Also even though women do dig those physical appearance of standard male as shown in media, it's not as much of importance to them because they know it's scarce and it's not the most important thing in finding a partner.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options

lol...

Again, you're talking about the show. That's not the point of the topic. The point is that women often complain about how female characters usually represent a unrealistic physical standard. The same is the case for male characters. How many heroes or popular male characters look like the average guy? Very few.

you're ignoring the social context...
    we live in a patriarchal society that marginalizes women and holds them to physical standards... u can't say the same for men.