The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mdot wrote: »
    Maidana has been hurt and lost to lesser competition. Josesito Lopez had him hurt.

So did Ortiz khan Alexander and Soto karass... Floyd finna beat the ? outta him
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wall wrote: »
    Starts picking up steam again April 12th. Got these cards coming up:

Pacquiao vs Bradley April 12
    Hopkins vs Shumenov April 19
    Porter vs Malignanggi April 19
    Quillen vs Konecny April 19
    Klitschko vs Leapai April 26
    Matthysse and Thurman card April 26
    Mayweather-Maidana May 3
    Stiverne vs Arreola May 10
    Marquez vs Alvarado May 17
    Froch vs Groves May 31
    Cotto vs Martinez June 7
    Provodnikov vs ? June 14

We straight for the next few months yo.

Adonis Stevenson vs. Andrzej Fonfara on May 24th

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wall wrote: »
    The fact that Khan is "planning" anything tells me he is already looking past Collazo. A Khan W isn't guaranteed here, Khan. Thought you knew better than that. Virgil Hunter thinks they are going to KO Collazo.

Word collazo been in ruff and tough you not just gonna put him out..amir khan should be what he is stop trying to change tour stripes....the uk juan ma
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/khan-mayweather-not-bullshtting-me-hell-fight-me--75981

Khan: Mayweather Was Not Bullsh*tting Me, He'll Fight Me

Database By Chris McKenna, courtesy of The Daily Star

AMIR KHAN has revealed Floyd Mayweather called him personally to promise that he will get a chance to fight him before he retires. Mayweather left Khan angry when he opted to face Marcos Maidana on May 3 in Las Vegas after initially showing interest in facing the Bolton fighter. Khan, 27, revealed the American has since been in touch to say they will go toe-to-toe in one of his final three fights before he hangs up the gloves. But the earliest they are expected to meet is now May 2015 with Mayweather not keen on the fight in September when he is next likely to be in action.

Related articles Khan said: "He told me fight didn't happen but not to be disappointed, it's not meant to be this time, it will happen one day. "He said I am one of the names he wants to fight, he knows I am a big star and that the fight will happen but not just yet. "'We both know it is going to make us a lot of money in the future. He told me to keep winning, the fight will happen. "He wasn't bullsh******, he seemed serious about it. "He said he's got three fights left in his career and he said I will be one of those three fights. It could happen in a year, but I'm not going to chase it now." Khan, 27, confirmed yesterday that he will take on big-hitting Luis Collazo on Mayweather's undercard in his first fight at welterweight. The former light-welterweight world champion is hoping to impress to further increase interest in a Mayweather clash and also get his career back on track. He will be out of the ring for over a year before he steps in to face former welterweight champion Collazo, who was narrowly beaten by Khan's fellow Brit Ricky Hatton in 2006.

Khan added: "It'll be good to fight in front of Mayweather and be in front of his face all the time. "My name will always be mentioned regardless. Then in the press conference afterwards he will be asked 'Amir has had a good win, so when are you going to get the fight on?' "I know Collazo will be a tough fight, physically he is a big fighter. I've seen his fight against Ricky, he's also coming off a good win against Victor Ortiz. "I could've picked an easier fight, but we want a tough fight at welterweight because we are serious. "I said to Golden Boy, my promoters, just get me anyone. It had got to that stage where I just couldn't be bothered."
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these brits are some prima donna diva ass ?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khan is obsessed with floyd
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khan is obsessed with getting the biggest pay day of his career.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    lol its boxing man, this ? happens all the time
    look at floyd with oscar, bernard with roy, winky with oscar, hawk with leonard, haglar with leonard, etc....
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah ? khan on some other ? its almost the point of beggin/creepy
    i understand wantin to take on the top ? but damn ..and everytime hes looked past an opponet cuz he was name droppin fightin floyd hes lost ...peterson ...garcia ...then he fight diaz and diaz has him stumblin around like a puppet on strings
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can definitely see Collazo winning this fight
  • Mastery
    Options
    I hope Collazo disrupts the ? outta Khans plan.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Collazzo ll knock his face off
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh this aint even "that"carlos molina..even worse
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thurman vs Diaz is bs.... Give that fighter a live body bigger name please
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    lol its boxing man, this ? happens all the time
    look at floyd with oscar, bernard with roy, winky with oscar, hawk with leonard, haglar with leonard, etc....

everyone you named was gunning for the top person but they were also on top of their game as well....khan getting slapped up by c level dudes.you cant call out a top guy when ? done tasted involuntary sleep on a few occassions.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna see the kovalev fight in Ac on Saturday hope it doesn't end in first round
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    So pretty much if kovalev wins and Stevenson wins his next one they will have a show down in the fall?
  • Mastery
    Options
    Thats the plan supposedly
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    How tf is he get another title shot smh I got Lara stopping his ass
  • vince_vince
    vince_vince Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boxingscene.com/hbo-passes-on-stevenson-fonfara-open-kovalev-bout--76008
    HBO Passes on Stevenson-Fonfara; Open to Kovalev Bout - Boxing News

By Jake Donovan

Just as HBO began to fill up its spring boxing schedule, yet another vacancy surfaces.

The network is no longer committed to securing the rights for a May 24 fight between lineal light heavyweight king Adonis Stevenson and challenger Andrzej Fonfara. Whispers swirled the moment Stevenson signed with adviser Al Haymon earlier this year, competing the shift on Tuesday when a proposed increase in the already agreed upon license fee was rejected by HBO.

Stevenson had appeared three straight times on HBO amidst a Fighter of the Year campaign in 2013. The run began with a sensational one-punch 1st round knockout of Chad Dawson to claim the light heavyweight championship last June.

Two defenses followed, scoring stoppage wins over Tavoris Cloud and Tony Bellew on HBO’s airwaves. The win over Bellew was packaged with a showcase fight for unbeaten light heavyweight titlist Sergey Kovalev, who knocked out Ismayl Sillakh in two rounds in the opening bout of their HBO doubleheader last November.

The show was designed as the first step to build towards a desired unification bout in the fall. HBO agreed to air Kovalev’s optional defense versus Cedric Agnew—which takes place this weekend in Atlantic City—and Stevenson’s bout with Fonfara two months later.

Kovalev will remain on the network, through this weekend and the foreseeable future. Stevenson, on the other hand, will now need to shop for a new home for his next defense, although the industry-wide believe if that it will head to Showtime, which has housed nearly all of the major fights involving fighters currently advised by Haymon.

HBO’s concern over securing rights to the May 24 bout stemmed from a reversal in its previous negotiations. All parties agreed to the license fee that was assigned to the fight. However, Stevenson’s camp approached the network to ask for a rumored significant increase, without the assurance that his next fight would in fact be against Kovalev, should both fighters win their upcoming bouts.

That said, the decision to pass on this fight has nothing to do with the network’s desire to still pursue the most attractive matchup the light heavyweight division presently has to offer. According to a network spokesman, HBO is “still happy to discuss Stevenson-Kovalev for the fall. If someone wants to call us on May 25 (the day after Stevenson’s fight with Fonfara), we will gladly engage in reasonable conversation to discuss a fight we absolutely want.”

There have been past concerns about this fight never happening, even before Al Haymon entered the picture. Following his stoppage win over Bellew, the question was posed to Stevenson of whether or not he wanted Kovalev in the future.

The defending lineal light heavyweight king avoided a direct answer to the question, instead insisting upon pursuing potential fights with Bernard Hopkins and super middleweight titlist Carl Froch. The declaration was made in an attempt to honor Canada, as both fighters claimed wins over Jean Pascal and Froch also scored a viciously one-sided 5th round stoppage of Lucian Bute.

With Stevenson potentially heading to Showtime, there exists the possibility of securing one of those desired fights. Hopkins is set to face Beibut Shumenov in a light heavyweight alphabet unification bout next month in Washington D.C., which will air on Showtime.

Froch is set to face George Groves on May 31, in a rematch to their controversial first fight last November in which Froch rallied to score a 9th round stoppage widely viewed as premature. HBO picked up the rights to the rematch, having also aired Froch’s revenge-fueled rematch win over Mikkel Kessler last May.

Kovalev’s bout with Agnew will mark the unbeaten knockout artist’s third straight appearance on HBO.

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boxingscene.com/kovalevs-promoter-slams-adonis-stevenson-jabs-haymon--76009
    Kovalev's Promoter Slams Adonis Stevenson, Jabs Haymon

By Bill "Two Scoops" Emes

Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, who promotes WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (23-0-1, 21KOs), held nothing back when discussing the recent turn of events with WBC champion Adonis Stevenson (23-1, 20KOs).

Earlier this year, Duva believed that she reached an agreement with Yvon Michel, promoter of Stevenson, to have their boxers unify in the fall. Both fighters were going to take interim-fights to continue building it up.

Kovalev returns on Saturday night against Cedric Agnew in Atlantic City. Stevenson is back on May 24 against Andrzej Fonfara in Montreal.

But a few weeks ago Duva, and HBO, began to worry when Stevenson signed a deal with powerful adviser Al Haymon. Early last year, HBO broke their business ties with Haymon and Golden Boy Promotions. Haymon, and the Golden Boy stable, fight primarily on network rival Showtime.

In the last few days, it became clear that Showtime had come to the table with a much bigger monetary bid to acquire the rights to Stevenson-Fonfara.

After days of negotiations, HBO ultimately passed and now Stevenson-Fonfara appears to be heading to Showtime.

Because he is heading to Showtime, Stevenson is now in position to go after the fight he truly wants - a unification with IBF champion Bernard Hopkins, who himself is booked next month for a unification bout with WBA king Beibut Shumenov.

"About two months ago, we made a deal. We had a deal with Yvon Michel. We had a deal with HBO. We all got on the phone together in Atlantic City for a fight that we had on January 24th. I walked around that day very happy because we had a deal. I had really not been concerned that Adonis was going to fight or not, because I was told by his promoter that he was willing to do so," Duva told BoxingScene.com.

"We've seen his interviews. We've seen how he acts when Sergey Kovalev's name comes up. We see his mouth move but all we hear is quack, quack, quack coming out. Did he make the ultimate move to make sure the fight doesn't happen? He probably did. Who in the world is better in making sure the public doesn't see the fight they really want to see than his new manger, so yeah I got a little concerned [when he signed with Haymon]."

"I think that every time I saw Adonis Stevenson asked whether he wanted to fight Sergey Kovalev, he began to stutter. I think he had no desire to fight him. I think it's quite clear he had no desire to fight him. He went and made the one move that he could make [in preventing a Kovalev fight] by running to a rival network and with a manager who is known as an obstructionist. Yes he got his wish, he doesn't have to fight Sergey Kovalev right now. But I don't know if he can avoid him forever. Sergey Kovalev is going to have a brilliant career. He is must-see TV."

Duva is rallying the fans, and the boxing press, to apply as much pressure as possible on Stevenson, on a daily basis, until he caves in and agrees to fight Kovalev.

"I want to say this to the fans who are disappointed. And I want to send this message loud and clear. If you want to give him a pass and let him fight a guy who is 49-years-old instead of the guy you want to see. If you sit back and say 'well it's okay, he's fighting a legend.' If you don't want to send him messages on Twitter every day asking him why won't he fight Sergey Kovalev. If you reporters don't want to ask him, every time that you're in the room with him, why won't he fight Sergey Kovalev - then you don't deserve to seem him fight Sergey Kovalev," Duva said.

"When the deal was made for Mike Tyson to fight Evander Holyfield. And I'm talking about the deal before [Tyson] went away [to jail]. And that deal got made because people kept coming up to Mike Tyson in the streets and asking him why he was ducking Holyfield. And one day Mike Tyson got tired of being called a duck. If people want to ask Adonis Stevenson why he is ducking Sergey Kovalev, they should."