A Genius Leaves The Hood: The Unauthorized Story of Jay-Z (trailer)

Options

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished watching it on Google play. Great documentary
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm..this unauthorized bio is pretty much everything we've discussed on the IC. The 2 questions are: who green lighted this "unauthorized biography"? And why is Jay trying so hard to prevent this from coming out?

But it shouldn't be nothing to Jay though considering he's very successful and the knew the burdens he catching behind
    it...unless...

i think its pretty obviuos why jayz doesnt want this released lol if you have to question it .... i have to ask you did you @least watch the trailer ?? lol its not that hard to see why jayz wouldnt want this out there lol especially as an authentic documentary ...
  • antarticp
    Options
    Damn is equally as much of a snake, if not more than Jay, he's just more charismatic about it.

ha ha sounds like it holds some weight ... i wouldnt say snake on either end ... i would just say bad biz deals ... anyone who has done as many deals as them is bound to have a few go sour ... and usually those few sour situations people will hold them up like its the demise of all of the accomplishments that occured lol

• antarticp
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Me1971 wrote: »
    I watched it, it's pretty good tbh. It has interviews from various people that know him, including his enemies. Here's some key points:

Jay is essentially the same person that he was now way back as a teen in Marcy, and was always extremely cocky and self assured as if he had already had 12 number one albums.

He's more calculated than I had originally thought. There's usually a reason for everything he say's and does.

His father used to take him to the gambling spots with him as a child and taught him a lot of lessons that made him the calculated person he is today.

They said his hustle in 2014 is the same as it was in 1982, the only difference is, the hustle he's in now is legal. But they say that his approach and style has remained the same. He's always had the ability to become ruthless if he had to.

Jay was always an opportunist. On a business level, he tends to hang around people who are better than him at a certain skill, absorbs that knowledge from them, learns to do it better, and ditches them. He doesn't ditch everyone but the people that he did ditch were for reasons that he felt were beneficial to him in the long run since he's a "chess player".

Jay's personal relationships tend to play out better than his business relationships.

Jaz-O and Jay linked up in 1984 when Jay's rap name was originally Shawnee-D.

He battled LL Cool J seven times and won each one. This was years before his first album came out. He used to drive around NY looking for LL and whenever they ran into him, they would battle him since LL was known as "the best battle rapper" during that era. Jay would eat LL, but LL would always bring up the fact that Jay wasn't signed and didn't have a deal on a "street ball/NBA" type of comparison.

Def Jam didn't want to sign Jay because he didn't fit into the roster. Years later, he became the president and was cutting checks for LL.

Jaz-O describes him as a lyrical genius.

Jaz-O was reluctant to sign the Roc-A-Fella contract due to his past experiences being in the music biz and felt that particular contract would also lead to him getting screwed once again.

Jay was known as the best rapper in his hood as a teen.

Jay was introduced to Foxy by his producer Clark Kent who's her cousin.

Jay was introduced to Dame by Clark Kent also. Dame and Jay instantly took well to each other because they both had the same hustler spirit, but Jay is more of an observer, Dame is more aggressive.

Damn is equally as much of a snake, if not more than Jay, he's just more charismatic about it.

Dame started wanting to the star, and their business relationship started going sour when Dame stopped playing his position. He even once tried to steal Jay's shine when Jay was giving a check to Afeni Shakur at a public event back in the early 2000's.

Jay and Biggs both used drug money to start up Roc-A-Fella, but what Dame brought to the table was his relentless energy and negotiation skills.

What they did business wise with Roc-A-Fella is more remarkable than I had originally thought.

Jay was really a successful drug dealer. He even had his own Benz, jewelery, and apartment as a teenager.

He had Andy Warhol paintings on his wall as a teen, so I guess he's always been somewhat of an art fan.

They say that Jay was one of the first dudes in the hood to own platinum jewelery when people used to assume it was silver. This was years before his first album came out.

He never intended for Reasonable Doubt to be his one and only album, it was just a marketing scheme that he created in hopes of getting people emotionally attached the album. He comes up with the marketing schemes for almost everything he's involved in.

Samsung was in the hole until they did the MCHG deal with Jay. He helped save the company.

A lot of companies use Jay and vice versa

He doesn't have an infatuation with white people as lots of people think, he just goes where the money is at, and white people happen to have the most. Green is the color that matters most.

Jaz believes that Jay got in bed with the global elite to get where he's at, but he was merely speculating and not saying it as if he knew for a fact.

He screwed over a lot of people in Brooklyn with the Barklays Center deal.

bout to see if i can find this joint
  • antarticp
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    Samsung was in the hole until they did the MCHG deal with Jay. He helped save the company.

LMAO Cannot co-sign this at all .........Samsung been booming since the release of the first series Galaxy S phone.
    They made like 20% of the parts found in the iphone 4. then they was sued by Apple for jacking some of apples phone technology and lost .... had to pay up 1 BILLION and was still in the black by over 2.5 billion by selling the most cell phones world wide. That 20 mil they gave to Jay was nothing ...... they spent over 300 million on advertising in 2013 and that's just in the US

truuu but prior to jayz and samsung deal the Galaxy wasnt as popular as it was .... its alot of people i know today that used to be Apple only who actually now have the Galaxy phone ... Galaxy is pretty much hand and hand with the iphone these days ... not saying jayz is the sole reason for this but his campaign has helped push that product neck and neck with the iphone ....
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GodGivBiz wrote: »
    Kim O could get the d

That hoe is fine as ? .. I wish..

who is kim O?

• black caesar
    Options
    Kim O could get the d

who is kim O?

She was the chief editor of The Source.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of y'all paid to watch this
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Kim O could get the d

who is kim O?
    Kim Osario

Used to work for the Source.

Nas and 50 smashed

Lame ass Benzino tried.

Sued him for sexual harassment... got 8 figure settlement

cotdam .... no wonder the source is died back in '05
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So LL is jay nemesis
  • antarticp
    Options
    sn keep calm Kim is not all that lol ... its crazy how much hate nicki gets on here but yall babblin bout old as kim o .... lol not saying she cant get it but the way yall talk you would think shes a super dime piece ... shes more like the girl next door then a look @ thot lol
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who got a free drop of this
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who got a free drop of this
    word

i was looking for it on all my pirate sites... nada.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched it, it's pretty good tbh. It has interviews from various people that know him, including his enemies. Here's some key points:

Jay is essentially the same person that he was now way back as a teen in Marcy, and was always extremely cocky and self assured as if he had already had 12 number one albums.

He's more calculated than I had originally thought. There's usually a reason for everything he say's and does.

His father used to take him to the gambling spots with him as a child and taught him a lot of lessons that made him the calculated person he is today.

They said his hustle in 2014 is the same as it was in 1982, the only difference is, the hustle he's in now is legal. But they say that his approach and style has remained the same. He's always had the ability to become ruthless if he had to.

Jay was always an opportunist. On a business level, he tends to hang around people who are better than him at a certain skill, absorbs that knowledge from them, learns to do it better, and ditches them. He doesn't ditch everyone but the people that he did ditch were for reasons that he felt were beneficial to him in the long run since he's a "chess player".

Jay's personal relationships tend to play out better than his business relationships.

He battled LL Cool J seven times and won each one. This was years before his first album came out. He used to drive around NY looking for LL and whenever they ran into him, they would battle him since LL was known as "the best battle rapper" during that era. Jay would eat LL, but LL would always bring up the fact that Jay wasn't signed and didn't have a deal on a "street ball/NBA" type of comparison.

Def Jam didn't want to sign Jay because he didn't fit into the roster. Years later, he became the president and was cutting checks for LL.

Jaz-O was reluctant to sign the Roc-A-Fella contract due to his past experiences being in the music biz and felt that particular contract would also lead to him getting screwed once again.

Jay was introduced to Dame by Clark Kent also. Dame and Jay instantly took well to each other because they both had the same hustler spirit, but Jay is more of an observer, Dame is more aggressive.

Dame started wanting to the star, and their business relationship started going sour when Dame stopped playing his position. He even once tried to steal Jay's shine when Jay was giving a check to Afeni Shakur at a public event back in the early 2000's.

Jay and Biggs both used drug money to start up Roc-A-Fella, but what Dame brought to the table was his relentless energy and negotiation skills.

What they did business wise with Roc-A-Fella is more remarkable than I had originally thought.

Jay was really a successful drug dealer. He even had his own Benz, jewelery, and apartment as a teenager.

He had Andy Warhol paintings on his wall as a teen, so I guess he's always been somewhat of an art fan.

They say that Jay was one of the first dudes in the hood to own platinum jewelery when people used to assume it was silver. This was years before his first album came out.

He never intended for Reasonable Doubt to be his one and only album, it was just a marketing scheme that he created in hopes of getting people emotionally attached the album. He comes up with the marketing schemes for almost everything he's involved in.

He doesn't have an infatuation with white people as lots of people think, he just goes where the money is at, and white people happen to have the most. Green is the color that matters most.

Jaz believes that Jay got in bed with the global elite to get where he's at, but he was merely speculating and not saying it as if he knew for a fact.

everything you need to know
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Probably around this time. LOL

jay-z-dancing-o.gif

lmaoooooo
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did they show him hangin with Lil Chase?
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    Options

That's what ive been saying. about Jay-z and 50. They never changed just knew what they wanted before they got in the game and knew what they had to do to get there.
  • black caesar
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Because ya'll demanded it, here's a link to watch the stream and download it. There is a download button to get SD and HD. Its on vimeo.

Not sure how long it will last. Better stream/watch while you can.

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My take on Jays career:

I think starting the record label after getting rejected, with their own money, was a blessing in disguise. they basically did a JV from the jump. Helped Jay not get screwed when he started selling 2-3 million an album. Plus when Ye Beans Bleek Cam sold records it really became a label not just a legal entity for Jay inc.

Rocawear royalties sent them into level $ wise. And the Live nation deal was basically Jays IPO. Brother cashed out. I give him tons of credit business wise. He's been talking about the Robb Report from time.

And I wonder how big was John Menielly (sp), who basically replaced Dame as the business go to guy.

Plus he got a piece of arena and commercial development around Barclays?
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    MECCA1000 wrote: »

LMAO Cannot co-sign this at all .........Samsung been booming since the release of the first series Galaxy S phone.
    They made like 20% of the parts found in the iphone 4. then they was sued by Apple for jacking some of apples phone technology and lost .... had to pay up 1 BILLION and was still in the black by over 2.5 billion by selling the most cell phones world wide. That 20 mil they gave to Jay was nothing ...... they spent over 300 million on advertising in 2013 and that's just in the US

truuu but prior to jayz and samsung deal the Galaxy wasnt as popular as it was .... its alot of people i know today that used to be Apple only who actually now have the Galaxy phone ... Galaxy is pretty much hand and hand with the iphone these days ... not saying jayz is the sole reason for this but his campaign has helped push that product neck and neck with the iphone ....

I guess the fact that I can go to piratebay, dl this movie to my phone in a half hour and watch it on a 5.5" screen with the clarity comparable to a flat screen has nothing to do with it...

... All while iPhone heads are standing there looking befuddled with their ? in their hand... Lol.

And I encourage someone to find a person on Jay's level or higher that doesn't have dirt on their hands. To be successful in our world today you hafta be a ? , shark, wolf, vulture, snake, etc. I don't think successful and nice mesh well together. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.