Is 50 Cent This Generations Run DMC?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in the 80s when Run DMC, LL Cool J or Public Enemy were about to drop an album people cared. They generated a buzz if they had a new song out. KRS, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, also NWA.

Now, in 2014 I see threads being made about 50 Cent and his new album that's about to drop. Personally, I don't care. I put 50 Cent in the same category as Run DMC; Rappers that used to be hot, that I used to listen to. For the life of me, I don't see how or why anybody would get excited over an album from somebody that hasn't been hot in 5+ years.

I can remember when Run DMC was in the same position that 50 Cent is in now. It was 1993, Everybody from the 80s had pretty much fallen off and a new generation of rappers was out (Dre and Snoop, Cypress Hill, Naughty By Nature, A Tribe Called Quest, Brand Nubian) I remember when Run DMC had a new single out called "Down With The King" produced by Pete Rock. The album was called Down With The King. It did ok as far as sales go but they just weren't as hot as they were 10 years prior.

I think 50 Cent is this generation's Run DMC. You guys have fond memories and hate to see him fade away. 50's career reminds me of the last verse in "Never Seen a Man Cry"

I hear you breathin' but your heart no longer sounds strong
But you kinda scared to die and so you hold on
And you keep on blacking out cause and your pulse is low
Stop trying to fight the reaper just relax and let it go
Because there's no way you can fight it though you'll still try
And you can try it til you fight it but you'll still die
Your spirit leaves your body and your mind clears
The rigormortis starts to set, now you outta here

Comments

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Well, lets put it like this; Remember the hype that 50 Cent had between 02-06?

Run DMC had that kind of hype between 84-88
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The song Down with The King is hard though, album isn't.

50 is washed, if that's what you mean but everybody knew that already.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The song Down with The King is hard though, album isn't.

50 is washed, if that's what you mean but everybody knew that already.

That's what I was getting at. I remember I had a soft spot in my heart for Run DMC when I heard "Down With The King" but I knew the album was gonna be a dud. Every generation has an artist like that.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    Is 50 Cent This Generations Run DMC?

kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

^^^Obviously doesn't remember how big Run DMC was in the 80s
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold the fucc up is this thread starter the same nicca who knew who NAS jada and Raekwon was in a pic but didn't know styles p Mac 10 and Ras kas???? Then you comparing Run DMC to 50... Shut this ? down
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Did 50 Cent/G Unit act to create a boom in hip hop independent artists for a while? Yes.

That's where the comparison ends. a group is not an artist. If you'd asked if G Unit had a run like Run DMC, that'd make more sense.

You're right. I should have said G-Unit.

It's a moot point anyway. I'm the only one on here that remembers when Run DMC was big like 50 Cent/G-Unit so I'd basically be arguing with myself.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    The best answer I can give you is that when you reach a certain age, you've seen rappers come and go. When you get to my age you've seen rappers that lasted 5 years and rappers that have been around for 20 years finally fall off.

Some rappers come strong out the gate and fall off after one or two albums. Other rappers take a longer time to get it together and ultimately last longer.

I wish there were some older heads on this board that could relate to what I'm trying to say.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Run-DMC had such a huge buzz because hip hop was still fresh and new to radio & video ......... 50's buzz was there but didn't get huge until Dre & Em co-signed the movement .... plus he got in right after the shiny suite wave was down and the thug wave was on ......

Fact .... Dr. Dre can just mention that he's back in the studio working on Detox on IG & twitter and that ? will over shadow 50's whole come back movement right now .......
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the rapper is making quality ? I'll still support. I don't care about the fair weather hip hop mainstream fanbase
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say interest seems actually a lil higher than its been for his past few.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    Options
    50 still making albums because of his love for the art.? worth like 200 million he don't care if yall ? don't support his album.He still gonna eat
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that new ? song he put out, about money, being fly, turning up or whatever he was talking bout is proof he isnt in it for the "art" of it
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Hold the fucc up is this thread starter the same nicca who knew who NAS jada and Raekwon was in a pic but didn't know styles p Mac 10 and Ras kas???? Then you comparing Run DMC to 50... Shut this ? down
    Lol same dude
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    5 grand knows who Run is but not DMC
  • Red_Eyez
    Red_Eyez Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of the main problems with hip hop fans they always seem to care whats apparently hot and popular and if your not on the list your not important.

I mean how is 50 cent and his music any worse than some of todays artists and music and who cares if he hasn't released an album in however long its been.

Since his last album his released some really good mixtapes and throw away tracks mixed in with 2 or 3 terrible tracks and his 3 new ones are just as good as anything else out today.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "For the life of me, I don't see how or why anybody would get excited over an album from somebody that hasn't been hot in 5+ years."

quotes like these are what makes hip hop fans the worst. If people ? with his music, then they will get excited about a new album. Who cares if the artist is "hot" or not.

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's called being a fan. If you were a 50 fan when Get Rich dropped, you should be a fan now.. I mean Fleetwood Mac is getting back together with all their original members after 15 years and the internet is going crazy, but we're supposed to just forget about 50 Cent just because he ain't popular anymore? Really? I mean I'm not a 50 fan but I'm saying.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarface scared the ? outta me as a child. ? is the grim reaper I swear.
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Kobe gif gets me everytime.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its actually a very solid point. If u look back they got kinda dismissed at that time. Cuz the sound and look were typical eastcoast rappers at the time and people felt they were doing what was hot - which always seems to be the case in hip-hop funny enough - even tho they were already established and legendary.

Trust me, your average rock bands - especially legendary - dont have to sound like Katy Perry/(insert whoever) in 2014. Its the problem with hip-hop being targeted to kids, young adults & ? like that that makes it a very trendy music culture with short shelf life. Proof is in the puddin - alot of older cats dont and feel like they cant rock with hip-hop past an age. That should tell u something.

And dont use Jay-Z as an example. Jay has Beyonce and hussled that way into a big crossover to where now 50 year old white women know Jay-Z. Otherwise he'd be your average "used to be MORE popular, but still around" rapper too.

I see ur point tho. Not sure if i agree or disagree.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "For the life of me, I don't see how or why anybody would get excited over an album from somebody that hasn't been hot in 5+ years."

quotes like these are what makes hip hop fans the worst. If people ? with his music, then they will get excited about a new album. Who cares if the artist is "hot" or not.

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Run didn't come through ? the game up and stop so many people eating.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is retarted. If you dont like the dude then thats your issue. But to compare him to run dmc is just blasphemous. I wanna slap u
    [img][/img]woman-punched-o.gif GIFSoup